BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-04-2023, 01:01 PM   #23
nickmaguire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 m240i

If the threshold is $1-2k I’d get upgraded paint, the 791m wheels with performance non run flats and adaptive M suspension. The maybe option is if you care about music then 100% get the HK sound system.

Having driven two different M240i’s with and without adaptive suspension that’s the biggest thing I’d recommend. It’s a huge comfort difference.

No idea why people are recommending the ZTK pack as mandatory, for most people will make zero difference.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-04-2023, 02:13 PM   #24
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmaguire View Post

No idea why people are recommending the ZTK pack as mandatory, for most people will make zero difference.
But for what you spend for it and what you get makes it well worth it if you are any level of enthusiast, IMO. Unique wheels, huge calipers & rotors, better tires, fender arches, and it's arguably a downside, the extra oil cooler.
Appreciate 1
Coconut768.50
      09-04-2023, 02:34 PM   #25
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

I believe that there are reviews of the normal brakes being a bit squishy but the ZTK brakes are great. tbh, that makes it enough for me even if you're paying extra. and the fender arches actually have grown on me lol. I would rather pay more for something to have and possibly not need it rather than not have it and need it.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-04-2023, 02:35 PM   #26
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
But for what you spend for it and what you get makes it well worth it if you are any level of enthusiast, IMO. Unique wheels, huge calipers & rotors, better tires, fender arches, and it's arguably a downside, the extra oil cooler.
Exactly this. A common complaint with the G42 is the skinny 225 front tires and slightly inadequate brakes. The ZTK package fixes these issues at a very reasonable price considering all the hardware upgrades you’re getting.
VegasG42381.00
      09-04-2023, 02:44 PM   #27
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:

It’s a placebo thing lol. I forget who I was talking to but they were saying this was one of the most pointless options you can get unless you’re the type of person who should be considering a different car lol you have to practically drive harder than the car physically allows for it to be worth it (on normal roads)

Put simply, if you take your car to the track at least a few times a year, it’s gonna be worth it. If not, you are literally wasting money
Appreciate 2
VegasG42381.00
jpcoop364.00
      09-04-2023, 04:02 PM   #28
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
It’s a placebo thing lol. I forget who I was talking to but they were saying this was one of the most pointless options you can get unless you’re the type of person who should be considering a different car lol you have to practically drive harder than the car physically allows for it to be worth it (on normal roads)

Put simply, if you take your car to the track at least a few times a year, it’s gonna be worth it. If not, you are literally wasting money
I think looking at it from a different view point. I.e. the brakes alone.
It may be different in different markets but the desire in the UK would be to get the non run flat tyres and the nicer wheels. It’s a £300 option to then get the brakes and cooling added. In that sense, it’s a tiny upgrade worth doing.

As for the brakes, you’d need to drive ZTK and non ZKT cars side by side but my past experience of BMWs is the brakes are pretty ropey.
In my 4 series I replaced the brakes with the M Perfomance ones and the they were night and day.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-04-2023, 05:00 PM   #29
nickmaguire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
There’s an argument for both sides but IMO for just a daily with no track time I don’t think so.

I was lucky to drive a 22 with ZTK and a 23 without before I ordered mine, and for the day i had each car it wasn’t a big enough difference on the street for me to add it to my build, it was the only option I left off. My car will never see a track so I’d rather put that money into an exhaust and some mods.

It didn’t help that I can’t stand the wheels, and concerns with the oil cooler put me off.
Appreciate 2
VegasG42381.00
      09-04-2023, 05:10 PM   #30
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
There’s an argument for both sides but IMO for just a daily with no track time I don’t think so.
I was lucky to drive a 22 with ZTK and a 23 without before I ordered mine, and for the day i had each car it wasn’t a big enough difference on the street for me to add it to my build, it was the only option I left off. My car will never see a track so I’d rather put that money into an exhaust and some mods.
It didn’t help that I can’t stand the wheels, and concerns with the oil cooler put me off.
For +$2K when you're already spending close to $60K it was a no brainer for me, even with my car seeing 0 track days. Buyers remorse is terrible on an expensive purchase.
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2023, 12:38 AM   #31
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Reading this again, I’d buy a 2nd had car with the options you actually want.

Let’s face it, 6 months in, you’d have the same car $10k less.
I don't know about that my friend . If I thought there was a chance that I could find a 'loaded' 23 xDrive with 20k or less miles for $45k , i would wait the 6 months.

But you have to remember , this isn't a mass produced car. Maybe half a dozen or more on the used car market at any given time...... And they are still selling for $50 to $60k. At best , a couple grand below MSRP.

But maybe with more M2s hitting the market , more 240s will become available
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 12:48 AM   #32
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks73 View Post
The Vernasca leather is the cheapest grade of leather you can get and doesn’t feel much different than the Sensatec. The Sensatec may even wear better.

The better stitching on the leatheR DOES makes it look more sporty but I hate the fact that in North America you can’t get Cognac leather.
Thank you for the feedback . The synthetic leather i saw close up was on a 2018 3-Series. Having seen videos of The 2023 Sensatec, It does appear to be much better .

I guess I would need to stop by a dealership to see and touch it for myself .
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 03:06 AM   #33
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
I don't know about that my friend . If I thought there was a chance that I could find a 'loaded' 23 xDrive with 20k or less miles for $45k , i would wait the 6 months.

But you have to remember , this isn't a mass produced car. Maybe half a dozen or more on the used car market at any given time...... And they are still selling for $50 to $60k. At best , a couple grand below MSRP.

But maybe with more M2s hitting the market , more 240s will become available

US and Europe - different markets.
There are quite a few here and the price difference to an M2 is much greater (our cars are better spec’d as standard).
You can certainly pick up well specked cars second hand here easily.

One thing to bear in mind is how well does a low spec of car hold value in the US. Over here, options don’t really add to value but do affect saleability.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-05-2023, 06:16 AM   #34
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback . The synthetic leather i saw close up was on a 2018 3-Series. Having seen videos of The 2023 Sensatec, It does appear to be much better .

Big difference between F and G series Sensatec leather. The Sensatec interior you saw in that 2018 is indeed hard, corse and plasticky. BMW totally changed that starting with the G series cars. I’d say Sensatec is actually softer than Vernasca and will probably wear better over time. I have Vernasca leather in my M240i and I wouldn’t say it’s a must have for the price.
      09-05-2023, 09:06 AM   #35
darkvader0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:

I did exactly this and actually found I liked the sensatec better. I went in pretty much expecting I would want the leather also.

My must-have was the premium package because I really really wanted the HUD and the upgraded headlights, but you didn't seem too interested in those.

Remote start was a must for me for the weather here.

And I had to get the parking package because the $100 drive recorder was a must-have for me also.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-05-2023, 12:27 PM   #36
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
Big difference between F and G series Sensatec leather. The Sensatec interior you saw in that 2018 is indeed hard, corse and plasticky. BMW totally changed that starting with the G series cars. I’d say Sensatec is actually softer than Vernasca and will probably wear better over time. I have Vernasca leather in my M240i and I wouldn’t say it’s a must have for the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader0 View Post
I did exactly this and actually found I liked the sensatec better. I went in pretty much expecting I would want the leather also.

My must-have was the premium package because I really really wanted the HUD and the upgraded headlights, but you didn't seem too interested in those.

Remote start was a must for me for the weather here.

And I had to get the parking package because the $100 drive recorder was a must-have for me also.
Great feedback , thank you guys
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 12:31 PM   #37
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
US and Europe - different markets.
There are quite a few here and the price difference to an M2 is much greater (our cars are better spec’d as standard).
You can certainly pick up well specked cars second hand here easily.

One thing to bear in mind is how well does a low spec of car hold value in the US. Over here, options don’t really add to value but do affect saleability.
Ah , okay. I'm still getting used to this forum being globally integrated. I always assume everyone is from the US. Haha typical American , right ?

One of the many benefits of Europe - Tons of Porsches , BMWs, Audis, and Mercs
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 02:20 PM   #38
speed817
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

For me, remote start is a must have due to the weather here in Texas. Second option would be Parking Assistance. Getting in and out of the garage with multiple cars, lawn mower, tool boxes, pressure washer cart and other things is kinda tight.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #39
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed817 View Post
For me, remote start is a must have due to the weather here in Texas. Second option would be Parking Assistance. Getting in and out of the garage with multiple cars, lawn mower, tool boxes, pressure washer cart and other things is kinda tight.
Never figured I'd use remote start 20x more often in summer than in winter, but here we are. It's been a game changer
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-05-2023, 02:53 PM   #40
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
Never figured I'd use remote start 20x more often in summer than in winter, but here we are. It's been a game changer
And that's only what ? $300 ? Definitely a no brainer option
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:32 PM   #41
kwikit356
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240ix 16 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks73 View Post
The Vernasca leather is the cheapest grade of leather you can get and doesn’t feel much different than the Sensatec. The Sensatec may even wear better.

The better stitching on the leatheR DOES makes it look more sporty but I hate the fact that in North America you can’t get Cognac leather.

I would have ordered Cognac leather if it had been available, even though I know the leather color is actually painted on. I went with the Cognac Sensatec mostly because I have black leather on my other car. I also remember how long-wearing the Mercedes Benz MB-Tec vinyl was way back in the '80s. But it may be more sticky in the heat, I just don't know. My other car has Alcantara (fake suede) in the seat centers, but not the steering wheel. So far it's been quite good in the summer heat.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:55 PM   #42
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
And that's only what ? $300 ? Definitely a no brainer option
Remote start can also be added later for like $350 on the BMW site if you skip it then change your mind. It's entirely a software feature. So if budget is an issue I'd focus on the hardware options first.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-07-2023, 07:17 AM   #43
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

There are no "must haves". So, it depends on what you "want" to add and what you really "need" to add. You could easily get a base M240i x-drive in Alpine white and be extremely happy. It also depends on how you use the car; long trips or around town, etc.

1. Living in Las Vegas, do you need heated seats and a heated steering wheel? If you do, get them.
2. You probably want to spring for the paint color that you want. Get what you want.
3. The stock sound is okay. You can easily live with it. The M240i is not a large car. However, if you really enjoy upgraded sound, get it.
4. The aluminum trim will not show scratches like the gloss black trim. At only $150 get it.
5. Sensatec is absolutely fine.

The above will hit around the 2K mark. You don't need any performance enhancements. The BMW M240i x-drive is a monster as it comes.

Bob
Appreciate 2
jpcoop364.00
VegasG42381.00
      09-07-2023, 01:47 PM   #44
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
There are no "must haves". So, it depends on what you "want" to add and what you really "need" to add. You could easily get a base M240i x-drive in Alpine white and be extremely happy. It also depends on how you use the car; long trips or around town, etc.

1. Living in Las Vegas, do you need heated seats and a heated steering wheel? If you do, get them.
2. You probably want to spring for the paint color that you want. Get what you want.
3. The stock sound is okay. You can easily live with it. The M240i is not a large car. However, if you really enjoy upgraded sound, get it.
4. The aluminum trim will not show scratches like the gloss black trim. At only $150 get it.
5. Sensatec is absolutely fine.

The above will hit around the 2K mark. You don't need any performance enhancements. The BMW M240i x-drive is a monster as it comes.

Bob
Really pretty much narrows down the route I will take.

BSM exterior paint
Black Sensatec interior
Standard gloss black interior.... I love black exterior , black interior vehicles.
Shadowline Package (the standard grey trim is too contrasting against the black)
Remote Start
Standard non-runflat performance tires

Pretty simple and minimalistic build
Appreciate 2
BobHen352.50