home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-11-2023, 09:40 PM   #1
IT guy
Australia
Rep
Drives: 230i M Sport (soon)

Seating - Alcantara/Sensatec v Vernasca Leather

I've just ordered a 230i in Portimao Blue with M Sport plus options and sunroof.

I'm tossing up between the 2 seating options:

Alcantara/Sensatec combination Black/contrast stitching Blue (BK)
or
Leather 'Vernasca' Black/contrast stitching blue (BK)

Down here (in Australia) the Vernasca Leather costs an extra $2200.

I've found it hard to find any reviews or people who have the Alcantara/Sensatec interior. I've attached the only photo I can find.

I've felt the Alcantara on steering wheel covers and it feels like suede.

Just wondering if anyone has it and your thoughts.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-11-2023, 10:27 PM   #2
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240

I don't have any experience with Sensatec but my first thought would be the Alcantara being a little hot/sweaty on your back? I've got Vernasca with contrast blue stitching.

My mum has an M3 with Merino - It definitely feels a step above. I would assume the same would apply between Sensatec and Vernasca.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 12:49 AM   #3
IT guy
Australia
Rep
Drives: 230i M Sport (soon)

Nice looking seats. Are they M sport seats?

The Sensatec doesn't bother me at all, its the Alcantara that I'm unsure about.
I'd thought that maybe it doesn't get as hot / cold as leather.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 01:47 AM   #4
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT guy View Post
Nice looking seats. Are they M sport seats?

The Sensatec doesn't bother me at all, its the Alcantara that I'm unsure about.
I'd thought that maybe it doesn't get as hot / cold as leather.
Yeah they are. They are great.

Spills and stains couldn’t be great news with alcantara but on the other hand fabric usually holds you better than leather too.

Maybe check in with a dealer and see if they have any in stock cars? I would expect most 1 series to have alcantara, sensatec or both!

This could help:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...e%20with%20it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 07:26 AM   #5
Baldilocks73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i (on order)

Man, I wish we could get the Alcantara inserts in the U.S. Seems we always get the scraps.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 08:31 AM   #6
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
I've just ordered a 230i in Portimao Blue with M Sport plus options and sunroof.

I'm tossing up between the 2 seating options:

Alcantara/Sensatec combination Black/contrast stitching Blue (BK)
or
Leather 'Vernasca' Black/contrast stitching blue (BK)

Down here (in Australia) the Vernasca Leather costs an extra $2200.

I've found it hard to find any reviews or people who have the Alcantara/Sensatec interior. I've attached the only photo I can find.

I've felt the Alcantara on steering wheel covers and it feels like suede.

Just wondering if anyone has it and your thoughts.

Thanks
Alcantara does not hold up well over time. It will wear. I have seen old BMWs that had Alcantra/fabric interiors. Didn’t look good over time. I have an Alcantra steering wheel in my old BMW. It wore badly over time. Had to have it redone by a guy in Atlanta who specializes in refinishing Alcantara steering wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 12:56 PM   #7
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Why would anyone want plastic seats? It’s not the 1970s.

jayritchie your seats look in bad nick on the bolsters. Is that down to heat or wear? (I’ve may be just answered my first question).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 06:47 PM   #8
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Vernasca leather is not the highest quality, but it’s definitely more than acceptable. But it does smells amazing. I love going in my car just for the smell alone. Won’t get that with Sensatec.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 01:11 AM   #9
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Why would anyone want plastic seats? It’s not the 1970s. jayritchie your seats look in bad nick on the bolsters. Is that down to heat or wear? (I’ve may be just answered my first question).
Yeah not sure. I've only owned my car during the cooler part of the year. They were treated when I had the exterior done so I've been avoiding putting any conditioner on them but I think i'll have to.

Update. I wiped them with a damp microfibre and they look brand new again. Must’ve just been dirty!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 01:47 AM   #10
pw4
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 230i Msport

IMO leather belongs on a cow, not a car seat. :-) It's cold in winter, hot in summer, needs regular cleaning and treatment and is more slippery than cloth, tweed/wool or Alcantara.

I'm delighted with the Alcantara/Sensatec in my 230i. Sensatec is just used for the side portions, what you sit on is the Alcantara. It's nice and grippy, looks good and doesn't have the temperature problems of leather in our hot climate.

I pity US drivers consigned to all-Sensatec seats. I had that in my F22 and it was miserable in summer (aircon notwithstanding) and freezing in winter. I'll grant that it was durable and easy-care compared with leather.

My MINIs had a nice wool-based tweed-like material which was best of all. I wish BMW offered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
your seats look in bad nick on the bolsters. Is that down to heat or wear?
It just happens where the knapp of the alcantara is pushed in different directions from being sat on. Just brush it the same direction with your hand and it's fine.

2021 International BMW Club of the Year

Opinions are personal, not those of the club

Last edited by pw4; 09-13-2023 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: Combined comments for better readability
Appreciate 1
IT guy6.50
      09-13-2023, 06:22 AM   #11
CTGT2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

You would be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference between vernasca and sensatec. Modern leather in cars is highly treated and coated in an outer vinyl layer anyway. It's not like the uncoated top grain leather that came on the M cars of the past. I've sat in both and the sensatec actually felt more supple to me than the leather did. I can't say how both will wear over time, I'd guess probably similar. I just couldn't get my head around ordering a $55k car that came with faux leather.

Alcantara on the other hand I would stay away from on any high touch surfaces. It will suck up any sort of dirt and oils from skin permanently and never look the same. It would probably be okay for a seat inlay on a non-rub seat surface.
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2023, 08:32 AM   #12
Baldilocks73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw4 View Post
IMO leather belongs on a cow, not a car seat. :-) It's cold in winter, hot in summer, needs regular cleaning and treatment and is more slippery than cloth, tweed/wool or Alcantara.

I'm delighted with the Alcantara/Sensatec in my 230i. Sensatec is just used for the side portions, what you sit on is the Alcantara. It's nice and grippy, looks good and doesn't have the temperature problems of leather in our hot climate.

I pity US drivers consigned to all-Sensatec seats. I had that in my F22 and it was miserable in summer (aircon notwithstanding) and freezing in winter. I'll grant that it was durable and easy-care compared with leather.

My MINIs had a nice wool-based tweed-like material which was best of all. I wish BMW offered it.

It just happens where the knapp of the alcantara is pushed in different directions from being sat on. Just brush it the same direction with your hand and it's fine.
We can get leather in the US. Sensatec is the standard option. Vernasca an extra cost option on the 2 Series.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 08:35 PM   #13
kwikit356
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240ix 16 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGT2005 View Post
You would be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference between vernasca and sensatec. Modern leather in cars is highly treated and coated in an outer vinyl layer anyway. It's not like the uncoated top grain leather that came on the M cars of the past. I've sat in both and the sensatec actually felt more supple to me than the leather did. I can't say how both will wear over time, I'd guess probably similar. I just couldn't get my head around ordering a $55k car that came with faux leather.

Alcantara on the other hand I would stay away from on any high touch surfaces. It will suck up any sort of dirt and oils from skin permanently and never look the same. It would probably be okay for a seat inlay on a non-rub seat surface.

I agree on avoiding Alcantara on any high-touch surfaces like the steering wheel or shift knob. I always thought I would never order Alcantara on any car, but my '16 Porsche 981 Spyder has it on the seat centers (purchased used). So far I really love it, mostly because it keeps me in place much better than leather or vinyl/Sensatec would.

The whole interior choice is the same as exterior color choice: it's your car, get what you like.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:53 PM   #14
kudos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I don't understand why someone would choose Sensatec over real leather.

Scenario: Someone gets into your car and says "oh nice leather seats".

Do you correct them and explain it's fake leather?
Do you say nothing?
Do you lie and go with it?

All 3 options are awkward unless you're a vegan or something.
      09-14-2023, 01:32 AM   #15
pw4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks73 View Post
We can get leather in the US. Sensatec is the standard option. Vernasca an extra cost option on the 2 Series.
Used to be the same here in Australia on the non-Msport F22s. For the G42, all cars are Msport and get alcantara as standard. Leather is a no-cost option on the M240i and a $2.2K option on others. Sports seats are standard on 220i & 230i and Msport seats with a tiny amount of extra bolstering on the seat and extra shoulder bolstering are standard on M240i and a $1.5K option (on top of leather) on 230i.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 02:39 AM   #16
davekilshaw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i M Sport G42

I have the Alcantara sensatec black / blue in my car...

Ive always had full leather, but wanted to try this, as it felt and looked good in the showroom.

During the hot few weeks we had in the UK, I have to say they were a lot cooler than the leather, and I didn't sweat anywhere near as much in them.

I also love that when you clean them, I just use a soft brush, they leave really nice lines in the fabric...
Appreciate 3
IT guy6.50
pw490.50
VegasG42381.00
      09-14-2023, 05:31 AM   #17
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post

Which you would have already told the person within a few seconds of meeting them
Appreciate 2
pw490.50
Roadwar128.50
      09-14-2023, 07:58 AM   #18
pw4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Had a chance to take a better photo of the alcantara sports seats today. Shows the little tricolour piece as well as the blue stitching.
Name:  20230914_125431.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  349.4 KB

Appreciate 2
VegasG42381.00
IT guy6.50
      09-14-2023, 08:38 AM   #19
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
I don't understand why someone would choose Sensatec over real leather.

Scenario: Someone gets into your car and says "oh nice leather seats".

Do you correct them and explain it's fake leather?
Do you say nothing?
Do you lie and go with it?

This literally never happens.

Edit: I have leather seats in my M240i. I've had leather and/or Sensa in previous BMWs and no one has ever made any comment about the seats and even if they did, I wouldn't feel the need to correct them if they were Sensa seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 08:41 AM   #20
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
This literally never happens.

Edit: I have leather seats in my M240i. I've had leather and/or Sensa in previous BMWs and no one has ever made any comment about the seats and even if they did, I wouldn't feel the need to correct them if they were Sensa seats.
It does with M seats
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 02:36 PM   #21
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayritchie View Post
I don't have any experience with Sensatec but my first thought would be the Alcantara being a little hot/sweaty on your back? I've got Vernasca with contrast blue stitching.

My mum has an M3 with Merino - It definitely feels a step above. I would assume the same would apply between Sensatec and Vernasca.

Is this the real leather ? Looks a bit worn , no ? Has it ever been conditioned ?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 03:51 PM   #22
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
Is this the real leather ? Looks a bit worn , no ? Has it ever been conditioned ?
You can tell just by looking they are leather.
He answered your question above, seats were dirty.
Appreciate 0