F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Trans swap
Extreme Powerhouse

02-05-2024, 07:39 PM   #1
VGSON
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Trans swap

Curious: Ive reached out to a vendor/shop about making an bmw n54/55 to sbc trans adapter. goal is to have th400 for drag racing and a tremec to replace our less than ideal manuals.

I want the manual since it will hold more power, shift better, and 6th gear would allow you to cruise at a much lower rpm. these can be pulled from junkyards or bought new with many different gear sets.

TH400 would allow transbrake and tons of gear options. Pulling front wheels on launch and less shifting. plus its relatively cheap comparatively

More interest, cheaper…..anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:06 PM   #2
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Or you could just build a ZF8 and have 2 overdrive gears and will bolt in no custom fabrication or wiring. It can be built stronger than a manual transmission. There is a ZF8 trans brake kit available as well
Appreciate 1
VGSON222.00
      02-06-2024, 12:47 PM   #3
VGSON
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

zf8 speed cost more, weigh more & can have hiccups during runs. Hence why big power racers/cars move to powerglides and 3spds.

This is a solution for those making a dedicated race car with a lot of power, while also being cost effective. junkyard parts and local speed shop can build it or you can..or get a custom one for half the cost of a zf8. if you want overdrive, then a 4l80e is an option too. along with many gearsets

t56/tr6060..or a dogbox..for those who want to shift. or add a sequential to the mix..our manual transmissions dont have a solution yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 03:03 PM   #4
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
Curious: Ive reached out to a vendor/shop about making an bmw n54/55 to sbc trans adapter. goal is to have th400 for drag racing and a tremec to replace our less than ideal manuals.

I want the manual since it will hold more power, shift better, and 6th gear would allow you to cruise at a much lower rpm. these can be pulled from junkyards or bought new with many different gear sets.

TH400 would allow transbrake and tons of gear options. Pulling front wheels on launch and less shifting. plus its relatively cheap comparatively

More interest, cheaper…..anyone?
I'm currently exploring options in this space too as my 3rd gear is grinding now.

Grannas Racing is doing development on a T56/Tremec conversion for the f-series b58 manual trans. I believe the B58 manual trans is a variant of the GS6-45BZ used on N55s and S55s.

Another point to consider is the factory gear position sensor. The ECU relies on this for auto rev matching, boost/torque by gear, etc.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
VGSON222.00
      02-06-2024, 03:41 PM   #5
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
zf8 speed cost more, weigh more & can have hiccups during runs. Hence why big power racers/cars move to powerglides and 3spds.

This is a solution for those making a dedicated race car with a lot of power, while also being cost effective. junkyard parts and local speed shop can build it or you can..or get a custom one for half the cost of a zf8. if you want overdrive, then a 4l80e is an option too. along with many gearsets

t56/tr6060..or a dogbox..for those who want to shift. or add a sequential to the mix..our manual transmissions dont have a solution yet.
You don't know what you're saying man. The ZF is found is many cars including trackhawks, hellcats, etc. There are no issues with this transmission. In fact it is ubiquitiously known as the best torque converter transmission ever created. How you could say a TH400 is better is beyond me.

The fastest "stock" bmw in the world, a 23 M240i, runs 8 seconds on a zf8. I dont hear him complaining about hickups. In fact, that guy previously build a 340i with a ZF that also slayed everything it raced.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:26 PM   #6
VGSON
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
I'm currently exploring options in this space too as my 3rd gear is grinding now.

Grannas Racing is doing development on a T56/Tremec conversion for the f-series b58 manual trans. I believe the B58 manual trans is a variant of the GS6-45BZ used on N55s and S55s.

Another point to consider is the factory gear position sensor. The ECU relies on this for auto rev matching, boost/torque by gear, etc.
Nice i see they do a lot of mk4 supra parts. My buddy has a 1000hp capable 340, but is limited for same issues. He’s awd and manual(nervous about turning it past 750 or so). Also a n54 drag build which is what we’re looking at the th400. Cars already built motor, stripped, and caged..just needs a big single and a trans. Im rwd n55 & wanting a t56 magnum or similar. I believe the gear position sensor could be worked around using the bmw sensor and a lil engineering. I’m wanting a t56 for my m2 eventually. There’s also very expensive replacements or little to no upgrade options for manual guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:34 PM   #7
VGSON
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
You don't know what you're saying man. The ZF is found is many cars including trackhawks, hellcats, etc. There are no issues with this transmission. In fact it is ubiquitiously known as the best torque converter transmission ever created. How you could say a TH400 is better is beyond me.

The fastest "stock" bmw in the world, a 23 M240i, runs 8 seconds on a zf8. I dont hear him complaining about hickups. In fact, that guy previously build a 340i with a ZF that also slayed everything it raced.
Thanks for chiming in. This obviously isnt for you. Take care
Appreciate 0