E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lost my key??

Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #1
Jarninius
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Lost my key??

2011 335xi, comfort access key. I drove home from work today and as soon as i put my car into park it said “key not detected” on my dash and so i turned my car off and tried to turn it back on to see if any signal would be picked up and it won’t start. i’ve torn through my car and have found nothing. Does the car immediately warn you as soon as the key is missing or does it only search for it when in park? i’m really hoping that it alerts me immediately because if not then i have no clue where my key would be. The only explanation i can think of is starting my car with my keys on the roof or something but i’m not even sure if that is possible. if there is any way i would be able to test whether or not my key is inside my car, please let me know. My luck has run out and i keep having problems
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:23 AM   #2
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Not sure if this helps you, but I went outside, set my keys on the roof and tried to start the car. NO dice, the car just gave me a "no key" icon. It appear that for my car in particular the key has to be physically inside the perimeter of the car door or the engine won't start.

My car is a 07 pre-lci so assuming no changes since then I would assume your car would behave similarly.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 08:35 AM   #3
Fredo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I don't have an E90 anymore. But this happens with my wife's 2011 F25 X3:

1) Wife and I get into car. She has the key in her pocket. I'm the driver and start car.
2) Wife leaves the car with key because she forgot something in house.
3) The warning "key not detected" shows on the iDrive as soon as she leaves the car.

I would think it's the same behavior on your 2011 E90.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:52 PM   #4
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Can confirm what Fredo said. My E90 immediately warns me the moment I get out of the car with the key in my pocket I immediately get the no key icon on the dashboard. So based on my tests you should have been immediately notified if the key was not in the car
Appreciate 1
Fredo288.00
      Today, 02:59 PM   #5
Jarninius
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Thank you guys for the tips and advice. I got a new key programmed last night but i’m hoping the old one will turn up soon. also, the new key is a CA key like the old one I believe, but none of the CA features are working. any known ways to fix this?
Appreciate 0