home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

02-04-2024, 01:19 AM   #1
Drowsy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 G87

Sad News

Well guys, after a good of work on staurday (Today). I’m headed home getting ready to take a shower, have a good dinner, and hop on the computer to play some games. About 2 minutes before I arrive to my house…. Bang bang bang…..

“Low tire pressure” flashes on my screen. I immediately pull over to inspect the damage and was pretty livid. Front right tire blew out while in the center of the lanes. I go back into the car to call road side assistance and the worst news popped up. Both tires on the right side of my vehicle are low. I go back outside to inspect and yep, front right and rear right tires are goners. I’m now patiently sitting in my car waiting for road side to come patiently and finally go through with an advisor. They asked for my personal info and vehicle info and sent a tow towards my way.

About 10 minutes of me waiting outside I look behind and see another 3 cars pulled over. All of them looking under there car and inspecting there deceased tires. Anyways, about 25 minutes later my tow truck guy comes and picks up my car. We exchanged numbers in case he had issues dropping my car off at the (Closed) dealership. After, getting home and calming down about having to pay for tires. The tow truck guy texted me 2 depressing photos…. Both rims are ripped/cracked.

Just wanted to vent honestly and wish all of y'all a safe drive.

Update #2: So I went to inspect my car this morning at the dealership and confirmed 2 new tires/rims. Now I'm waiting on Monday to check if there is any underbody damage or internal damage. Whatever I hit was like a chunk of fuckin metal in a pitch black road with 0 lights. In case you are wondering, I was going 38 mph with no intention of speeding or flooring the car. Just a casual cruise back to my house... I can't really tell what the object is and I have photos of it. It looks like a solid "blue" piece of metal equipment you would see in the back of a work truck. Pretty small though but also fairly big.
Name:  imagejpeg_0.jpeg
Views: 1082
Size:  91.1 KB
Name:  imagejpeg_1.jpeg
Views: 1060
Size:  86.2 KB

Here is a photo of what I ran over
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  311.6 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  659.5 KB

Last edited by Drowsy; 02-06-2024 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Added to story
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 01:58 AM   #2
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep
Drives: TR G87

That sucks dude, what was it that punctured all those cars? Must have been something pretty serious to go through the rubber and wheel.

The good news is that this is a great excuse to buy forged wheels and replace the crappy cast wheels our G87's come with

Appreciate 4
Buketz131.00
Trogster468.00
CFO280.00
      02-04-2024, 03:11 AM   #3
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Holy **it that's bad dude. The roads here in California are getting beyond unsafe to drive on. Us here in the Northern bay area of CA have had a similar issue on a few roads too. Last year around this exact same time of year (during period lots of continuos rainfall which make shitty roads flake off like an oatmeal cookie in milk).

I believe you need to speak to the city & get a law enforcement officer involved in the process. As funny as it may sound a CHP officer can file a formal complaint that matches your story & will submit this to the state. Although it may be a bit of work upfront, a poorly maintained roads is the cities fault. Therefore, it's California responsibility to pay for the consequences of their blatant & obvious neglect.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 04:48 AM   #4
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Holy **it that's bad dude. The roads here in California are getting beyond unsafe to drive on. Us here in the Northern bay area of CA have had a similar issue on a few roads too. Last year around this exact same time of year (during period lots of continuos rainfall which make shitty roads flake off like an oatmeal cookie in milk).

I believe you need to speak to the city & get a law enforcement officer involved in the process. As funny as it may sound a CHP officer can file a formal complaint that matches your story & will submit this to the state. Although it may be a bit of work upfront, a poorly maintained roads is the cities fault. Therefore, it's California responsibility to pay for the consequences of their blatant & obvious neglect.
That’s going to be tough. Most communities have rigorous laws protecting them from road hazards such as potholes, road debris etc. In western New York where we spend summers, one town requires a minimum of reports for hazard claim consideration. The town board then decides. Good luck fighting the government.

In any case, best of luck to the OP.
Appreciate 3
      02-04-2024, 07:21 AM   #5
AdnanH35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.38]
Damn never seen wheels bent that bad 😳do you know what you hit? something similar happened to me years ago when I got my first BMW 335. They were doing the highway. There was about a 5+ inch rise in the road with nothing leveling it. Hit it straight on going 75 mph in the middle of the night. Bent all 4 wheels.

Defineitly file a complaint to the state. I’ve had friends who done it and got reimbursed by the state of Connecticut.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 08:01 AM   #6
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

***Make certain your dealer inspects the entire suspension and brakes.

Very sorry to see this.
Appreciate 1
Tag18362.50
      02-04-2024, 09:10 AM   #7
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

That's unfortunate.

On northern CA (SF Bay Area mainly) roads I've seen just about everything. When KGO AM was a radio station of note I listened to it for traffic reports. Ladders were common. But ladders were not the only debris on the road. Just about everything you can fit in a pick up truck bed or on a trailer will end up on the road at some point.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:59 AM   #8
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I guess your tax dolars are going to waste.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 11:23 AM   #9
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe insurance will also help? A good reason to get proper wheels now.
      02-04-2024, 12:20 PM   #10
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
This sucks. Infuriating and unacceptable roads. Good luck with the state, city or town even acknowledging this happened.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 12:59 PM   #11
Drowsy
Private
Rep

Update #2: So I went to inspect my car this morning at the dealership and confirmed 2 new tires/rims. Now I'm waiting on Monday to check if there is any underbody damage or internal damage. Whatever I hit was like a chunk of fuckin metal in a pitch black road with 0 lights. In case you are wondering, I was going 38 mph with no intention of speeding or flooring the car. Just a casual cruise back to my house... I can't really tell what the object is and I have photos of it. It looks like a solid "blue" piece of metal equipment you would see in the back of a work truck. Pretty small though but also fairly big.
Appreciate 2
DSTR1272.50
      02-04-2024, 01:49 PM   #12
n55f15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240I

They may not tell you, but if you had Pirellis, you can get free replacement tires, depending on tread and mileage. Don't think the same can be said for Michelin's though
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 04:26 PM   #13
Drowsy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Downshift View Post
That sucks dude, what was it that punctured all those cars? Must have been something pretty serious to go through the rubber and wheel.

The good news is that this is a great excuse to buy forged wheels and replace the crappy cast wheels our G87's come with
Hell Yeah, Actually currently in the talks with Ron from AR Motorwerkz to get some BBS LM's. Very helpful and informative highly recommend
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 04:40 PM   #14
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

I see some APEX flow form 10s in you future ($1800)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:03 PM   #15
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicTeas View Post
Well guys, after a good of work on staurday (Today). I’m headed home getting ready to take a shower, have a good dinner, and hop on the computer to play some games. About 2 minutes before I arrive to my house…. Bang bang bang…..

“Low tire pressure” flashes on my screen. I immediately pull over to inspect the damage and was pretty livid. Front right tire blew out while in the center of the lanes. I go back into the car to call road side assistance and the worst news popped up. Both tires on the right side of my vehicle are low. I go back outside to inspect and yep, front right and rear right tires are goners. I’m now patiently sitting in my car waiting for road side to come patiently and finally go through with an advisor. They asked for my personal info and vehicle info and sent a tow towards my way.

About 10 minutes of me waiting outside I look behind and see another 3 cars pulled over. All of them looking under there car and inspecting there deceased tires. Anyways, about 25 minutes later my tow truck guy comes and picks up my car. We exchanged numbers in case he had issues dropping my car off at the (Closed) dealership. After, getting home and calming down about having to pay for tires. The tow truck guy texted me 2 depressing photos…. Both rims are ripped/cracked.

Just wanted to vent honestly and wish all of y'all a safe drive.

Attachment 3379816
Attachment 3379817
This is terrible what you have gone through Dominic!! Just awful!! Must have been a piece of crap from a pickup truck. Let us know immediately how you resolve this, out of pocket or insurance?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 02:42 PM   #16
Drowsy
Private
Rep

Update #3: Car is currently at the dealership. I have gone through my insurance with a comprehensive claim. So I'll only be paying a $500 Deductible and the insurance will cover the rest. The dealership did do a full inspection and stated there is no damage under the vehicle at all and were very surprised. The tech also informed me that I was very lucky because the bulge was within inches from touching my breaks and could've obliterated them. Weird thing is that my tires weren't punctured, damaged, or ripped. So I'm assuming because my rims were cracked completely it just deflated both the tires.

The dealership did charge me $259.99 for the inspection but I suppose I shouldn't pay it because it's getting forwarded to my insurance.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 03:25 PM   #17
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

That looks like a bottle jack, which is going to be very, very substantial (it has to lift a car after all). While I see a lot of debris on the shoulder on the interstates around, they *do* try to clean up. But I-95, for example, gets an unbelievable amount of traffic in a few days.

In my area we get the usual work truck and scrapper debris but have the novelty item of stuff that comes off of towed boats. Coolers, lids to coolers, trolling motors, anchors (!), etc.

I personally don't consider it an issue to take to the government, just my insurance company. As bad as it is, just one of those "sh*t happens" sort of things. My prior vehicle, when less than a month old took a rock to the windshield. Keeping my fingers crossed on the (much more expensive) bimmer.

People get killed by road debris frequently. Motorcycles more vulnerable of course, but cars too. So, it could have been worse.
Appreciate 6
wb8164128.50
Drowsy56.50
Vinknee91.50
aerobod3706.00
Resoelg256.50
      02-06-2024, 10:43 PM   #18
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
People get killed by road debris frequently. Motorcycles more vulnerable of course, but cars too. So, it could have been worse.
This is exacty why it should be brought to the attention of government and its enforcement arms(police) No one should be killed by the idiocy of others who refuse to ensure the integrity of their loads. Its not rocket science but about 5 min of due diligence.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:11 AM   #19
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Have you checked the rest of the underside of the car?
      02-07-2024, 06:18 AM   #20
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

I drive I35 from Austin to Dallas and back every weekend & it's a mine field of debris. My previous 330e was hit by flying tire tread 4x in the course of the year. 3 broken front splitters, and one incident resulted in a shattered headlight, fog light and front lower grille to the tune of $4,500. That was the result of a jacked up pick up (TX of course) cutting me off from 2 lanes over and throwing up a discarded tread.

Thankfully no incidents with the M2 - yet. And forged wheels wouldn't have gone undamaged with what you ran over. They're not indestructible.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0