02-07-2024, 11:46 AM   #23
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I use Rhino ramps when doing maintenance/installing parts on all my vehicles. I jack the car up and slide the ramps under. Only use jack stands if I'm taking the wheels off and working for an extended period of time. Safe enough I let my kids service the vehicle

For the oil cooler install you should only need to jack up one side. It takes 2 min to install.
The floor jack in the photo is the one (or at least the style) you want for the M2. I have one that is Craftsman branded (remember them?) but there are tons that are either the same or replicas. Generally classified as "low-profile 3 ton jacks".

Why I say that is the one you want is that it just reaches the jacking point from the front of the car without touching it. It makes the M2 the easiest car in the fleet to get in the air. My Miata requires "helper" ramps to get it high enough to be lifted by a jack and my truck has opposite annoyances because it is *higher* in the air.

You could measure the distance between the front lip and jacking point and make sure whatever floor jack you get is "low" for that length.

I'd recommend a floor jack, jack stands and perhaps the various "adapters" or "protectors" for the square jacking points on the BMW. It provides ultimate flexibility in my opinion for various needs.

It might be pricier and perhaps harder to deal with a floor jack and stands in an apartment/condo situation, so I could see that ramps might be lighter to carry around. But, you are limited in what you can do with ramps.

If you are using ramps, I'd recommend looking at "race ramps" (https://www.raceramps.com/).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 06:31 PM   #24
fangelov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

If you use the factory jack points with an adapter to protect them, what are good places for the jack stands both front and rear on each side (if you need all 4 wheels in the air and the car level)?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 08:08 PM   #25
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
The floor jack in the photo is the one (or at least the style) you want for the M2. I have one that is Craftsman branded (remember them?) but there are tons that are either the same or replicas. Generally classified as "low-profile 3 ton jacks".
The jack in my photo is from Harbor Freight. I have 2 of them purchased for $79 on sale almost 7 years ago. They work great

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 08:48 AM   #26
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk95 View Post
Any other recommendations on some ramps that are easily acquired from an auto store/hardware store? Wanting to install a front lip and oil cooler cover. If need be I can grab some 2x4s for these ramps but was worried about clearance on the way down after the install
Look into RV leveling blocks to provide a bit of extra clearance as you drive up the ramps.

Link to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

https://www.harborfreight.com/three-...CABEgJTfvD_BwE
Appreciate 1
rk95379.50
      02-10-2024, 06:02 PM   #27
rk95
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Got it done with some harbor freight ramps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 11:28 AM   #28
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
The jack in my photo is from Harbor Freight. I have 2 of them purchased for $79 on sale almost 7 years ago. They work great
I have the same jack and it will reach the center lift point - front and rear of the M2 without any blocks, 2x4's, etc. Then it is onto jack stands.

The son's S2000 - not enough reach, his 435i, have to lower the handle a bit to make it.