home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

01-23-2024, 12:09 PM   #1
theblackfalcon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini JCW, Ford F150, BMW X545e

Wrecked 2023 M2's

For whatever reason I enjoy looking at Copart late at night drinking scotch. It is a dangerous habit to get into.

There are a LOT of the new M2's showing up. I say a lot because based on the number produced the number of new M2's seems high to me compared to other models like the M240ix that shows up in the same search which I assume are produced at several times the number of the M2.

Just curious what discussion you guys would have surrounding. Also if they are being wrecked at a high rate I wonder if that is typical compared to the last model. Also what that effect will be on insurance actuarial tables.

https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResu...ch%22:false%7D
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 01:50 AM   #2
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

This is all very AFAIK.

The only correlation I think has been strongly proven is color. Black cars get in tons of multi-car crashes purely due to low visibility. White and silver cars also blend into the background and have high accident rates.

Many sources say that there's no actual correlation between accident rate and horsepower.

Now, if we are talking severity of wreck/injury, then there IS strong correlation with horespower. Sports cars don't wreck too often but get into extremely lethal ones when they do, which makes sense. These are the "speeding and lose control" crashes.

And for pedestrians, the news is all bad for them because heavier cars and taller cars are way more dangerous. Sports cars are relatively safe for pedestrians/bicyclists, while SUVs, trucks, and EVs are all much more dangerous. Especially small kids, who fit into blindspots and get run over at slow speeds (in driveways, etc).

Big vehicles are safe for the driver, dangerous for everyone else. Sports cars are relatively safe for both driver and pedestrians, until a yahoo wraps their GT-R around a pole at 160 MPH.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 07:05 AM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Speed doesn't cause accidents, the inability to stop does.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 4
      01-24-2024, 07:10 AM   #4
ttaidapos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV, M2 G87

I remember reading an insurance report not long ago on relation to color vs rates and car collisions. The summary was simply no correlation. It's just that some colors sell more than others with black white and silver leading the pack.
Appreciate 1
EXE462101.50
      01-24-2024, 07:58 AM   #5
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
I recently saw a report that EVs and Tesla's in particular had a 17% higher accident rate then ICE cars.

There was of course lots of conjecture about why - heavier weight, faster acceleration, 1 pedal driving - but the statistic itself was interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 08:03 AM   #6
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Pretty simple to me and a reflection of my observation of all “good drivers” who think they drive like race car drivers on the street while being emotionally involved in a machine with a lot of power, traction/stability control off, and “sport plus” accelerator pedal. If you drive a correlation of all the times you see discussions on M1/M2 presets (confusion of what they are notwithstanding) and extrapolate that to all people who aren’t even in the forums, it doesn’t surprise me when I see the wrecked M2s when I see them.
Most of the ones I’ve seen are single car crashes…

Of course we have a few here who unfortunately got hit. And almost anything will total the car…
Appreciate 2
Lego M236.00
baj_baj182.50
      01-24-2024, 08:24 AM   #7
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
I recently saw a report that EVs and Tesla's in particular had a 17% higher accident rate then ICE cars.

There was of course lots of conjecture about why - heavier weight, faster acceleration, 1 pedal driving - but the statistic itself was interesting.
No surprise regarding Tesla EVs. Every 3 driver I encounter drives like every stop light is a drag race opportunity. And every open space on the road is a speeding/passing opportunity.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 08:54 PM   #8
MrTiger
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Keep that traction control ON boys :-D
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2024, 09:18 PM   #9
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTiger View Post
Keep that traction control ON boys :-D
I drove my 2017 in MDM for 7 years. Am I stupid (honest question)?

Last edited by MineralGreyMetallic; 01-24-2024 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: ques
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 09:44 PM   #10
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
I drove my 2017 in MDM for 7 years. Am I stupid (honest question)?
100% not.

Unless most of us are stupid too. And we might be, but for other reasons…
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2024, 09:35 AM   #11
theblackfalcon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini JCW, Ford F150, BMW X545e

Knock on wood, I've been driving for 25 years and have yet to be in an accident yet I've had probably over 50+ interactions with police based on my efficient driving. I've had a couple motorcycle accidents, but knee dragging is a different story.

That all being said, certain vehicles attract drivers who get in more accidents. If you look at insurance rates...

https://www.finder.com/car-insurance...kdown-by-brand

Look at this chart and then down too... car insurance rates by model. Cost/HP have little correlation to the insurance cost. Jaguar XJR drivers are not driving that aggressively.

The BMW M2 is way down that list if you sort by cost to insure. I think there are more accidents with the M2/2 series based on the typical driver profile. Interesting enough the M3 is quite a bit cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 07:15 PM   #12
laughMan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6sp AW/Cognac

I have not driven a G87 yet, but I read multiple review that G87 can get lose very easily due to its high power and torque, and it comes on more suddenly and less controllable/progressive than F87.

have the G87 M2 become more of muscle car than a well balance sport car??
Thus, we will see more wrecked M2 in this generation?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:10 PM   #13
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by twlai View Post
I have not driven a G87 yet, but I read multiple review that G87 can get lose very easily due to its high power and torque, and it comes on more suddenly and less controllable/progressive than F87.

No. It’s the complete opposite. The G87 is a lot less playful than the F87 and has much better traction even though it remains 2wd. The G87 also doesn’t have much torque, many would even say it’s lacking torque.

People just don’t know how to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:31 PM   #14
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twlai View Post

Where did you read that?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:29 AM   #15
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

It’s been told over and over in reviews the g87 has tons of grip and is less hairy (fun) than the f87.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 09:56 AM   #16
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

And not just raw grip, but also a better diff and better suspension. Also more fine grained control over the traction settings.

The G87 is better planted through all phases of cornering than the F87 ever was.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 06:58 PM   #17
shade_star
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Bought a M2 in October. 6 days later rear ended totaling the car.
Wife was injured a good bit, but the M2 took it like a champ.

Hit by a Dodge Ram 2500 doing about 40 and didnt stop

Had a new one built and delivered a few days ago!
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 09:27 AM   #18
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade_star View Post
Bought a M2 in October. 6 days later rear ended totaling the car.
Wife was injured a good bit, but the M2 took it like a champ.

Hit by a Dodge Ram 2500 doing about 40 and didnt stop

Had a new one built and delivered a few days ago!
That's a bad experience. Hope your dear wife has a full and speedy recovery.

My worst experience was when one rainy Friday night another driver on her cell phone lost control of her car and smashed into my 4 week old Porsche Cayman S.

Had a passenger (co-worker). Air bags went off. Bumped my head against the side glass rendering me semi-conscious for a bit. Ended up breathing in some air bag fumes/dust.

But no serious injuries thank goodness.

Car was declared a total loss.

Obviously a yellow car. Highly visible. One would think easily spotted and avoided. But I have read that brightly colored cars get hit because they are brightly colored. The person fixates on the car and ends up steering towards it.

Sort of like the phenomenon when riding a motorcycle off road and seeing an obstacle ahead and staring at it rather than looking past it.

Until I learned to look past I hit more obstacles than I dodged. After I learned to look past I managed to avoid the obstacles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 09:57 AM   #19
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
That's a bad experience. Hope your dear wife has a full and speedy recovery.

My worst experience was when one rainy Friday night another driver on her cell phone lost control of her car and smashed into my 4 week old Porsche Cayman S.

Had a passenger (co-worker). Air bags went off. Bumped my head against the side glass rendering me semi-conscious for a bit. Ended up breathing in some air bag fumes/dust.

But no serious injuries thank goodness.

Car was declared a total loss.

Obviously a yellow car. Highly visible. One would think easily spotted and avoided. But I have read that brightly colored cars get hit because they are brightly colored. The person fixates on the car and ends up steering towards it.

Sort of like the phenomenon when riding a motorcycle off road and seeing an obstacle ahead and staring at it rather than looking past it.

Until I learned to look past I hit more obstacles than I dodged. After I learned to look past I managed to avoid the obstacles.

yeah I got hit by someone in my m340i doing 40mph+ and he drove straight into me from like 30-40 yards away with plenty of room to go around me, I wasn't even moving lol just watched him come in like "really dude". Insurance found me not at fault and I'm getting a M2 so not that terrible a outcome, not fun getting hit like that though lol insurance adjuster said the suspension components broke off and destroyed the chassis and buckled the firewall, engine sounded awful like down on cylinders or something too
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:56 AM   #20
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
yeah I got hit by someone in my m340i doing 40mph+ and he drove straight into me from like 30-40 yards away with plenty of room to go around me, I wasn't even moving lol just watched him come in like "really dude". Insurance found me not at fault and I'm getting a M2 so not that terrible a outcome, not fun getting hit like that though lol insurance adjuster said the suspension components broke off and destroyed the chassis and buckled the firewall, engine sounded awful like down on cylinders or something too
Looking at those tires makes me proud of you. The M2 will fit your lifestyle even better than the 340i!
Appreciate 1
iifymbro749.00
      02-05-2024, 08:59 AM   #21
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
I didn't mention it in my previous post but like you my car was stationary. I was in a right hand turn lane behind one car waiting for the cross walk to clear and in front of another car. Was trapped.

The Cayman suffered serious front suspension/steering damage -- senior Porsche techs who inspected the car told me they had never seen the larger cast iron components broken before -- and the front section of the car was deformed.

Pretty much when a car's number is up it is up. One can only deal with the aftermath.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 11:00 PM   #22
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackfalcon View Post
For whatever reason I enjoy looking at Copart late at night drinking scotch. It is a dangerous habit to get into.

There are a LOT of the new M2's showing up. I say a lot because based on the number produced the number of new M2's seems high to me compared to other models like the M240ix that shows up in the same search which I assume are produced at several times the number of the M2.

Just curious what discussion you guys would have surrounding. Also if they are being wrecked at a high rate I wonder if that is typical compared to the last model. Also what that effect will be on insurance actuarial tables.

https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResu...ch%22:false%7D
Are they selling parts? I'd be interested in buying OEM brake pads from C8x cars.