bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-19-2022, 01:16 PM   #45
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontsave View Post
Pay special attention to the bolded text. Just saw some guy in the B58 FB group post about how he blew his turbo on his G42 at 6k miles and the dealership is declining repair under warranty because he brought it in with a downpipe still on it.

Apparently he was only running DP and JB4 so it's likely the blown turbo could have actually been a warranty issue, but who knows. Hopefully it gets sorted out eventually but sounds like a nightmare to deal with.
Also keep in mind who knows what kind of JB4 settings this person was running. Could have been running some stupid high settings and beating the piss out of his car and pop.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 02:05 PM   #46
Summeristooshort
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i Xdrive TNM

Quote:
Pay special attention to the bolded text. Just saw some guy in the B58 FB group post about how he blew his turbo on his G42 at 6k miles and the dealership is declining repair under warranty because he brought it in with a downpipe still on it.

Apparently he was only running DP and JB4 so it's likely the blown turbo could have actually been a warranty issue, but who knows. Hopefully it gets sorted out eventually but sounds like a nightmare to deal with.
I asked my local BMW Dealer service department and they said Catted DP and CA intake are the only mods that won't void warranty. He said JB4 will for sure void it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 02:10 PM   #47
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summeristooshort View Post
Quote:

I asked my local BMW Dealer service department and they said Catted DP and CA intake are the only mods that won't void warranty. He said JB4 will for sure void it.
Well the way it actually works is nothing can technically void your warranty unless it can be proven to have caused the problem. It's just a matter of how certain dealers tolerate certain things and how hard you will need to fight for it.

I would definitely remove the downpipe before bringing in the car for a blown turbo or something along those lines just to avoid the headache altogether.

As for the post I was referring to, the guy specifically said that he removed the JB4 beforehand and it was never mentioned. Only that the car was brought in with DP on it and that was the reason cited by the dealer. I don't believe this rationale would ultimate hold up but considering the circumstances it would be difficult to escalate since the car was running higher boost after all. Just a bad situation all around.
danallxt739.50
      10-20-2022, 02:05 PM   #48
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summeristooshort View Post
Quote:
Well the way it actually works is nothing can technically void your warranty unless it can be proven to have caused the problem. It's just a matter of how certain dealers tolerate certain things and how hard you will need to fight for it.

I would definitely remove the downpipe before bringing in the car for a blown turbo or something along those lines just to avoid the headache altogether.

As for the post I was referring to, the guy specifically said that he removed the JB4 beforehand and it was never mentioned. Only that the car was brought in with DP on it and that was the reason cited by the dealer. I don't believe this rationale would ultimate hold up but considering the circumstances it would be difficult to escalate since the car was running higher boost after all. Just a bad situation all around.
Another thing worth noting is that a dealership cannot void your warranty. But they can deny working on your car. Only the company that backs the warranty can "void" it. Which is BMW corporation not a BMW dealership.

The way your warranty gets voided completely is when a dealership reports it to BMW or BMW themselves sends a person to your dealership to look at the car. Which is why a lot of the times you can work with your dealership. Happens all the time, a dealership will tell you to bring the car back in stock form and then they will make the repair.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #49
Dahaeemas
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumizi206 View Post
Downpipes prices are based on the quality of the catalytic converters. Usually the cheaper they are, the shorter amount of time they will last before they are junk. I've seen cheap cats last less than six months. The differentiator in pricing isn't based on the sound. You need to decide how long you want to keep the car and how long you want the cats to last.

There are minute differences in sound between the different cats/downpipes. You wont be able to tell the difference.
OEM cats are usually 600-800 cell. Aftermarket cats are usually 200-400 cell. Catless is obviously straight through. It's a spectrum.

I've gone through all sorts of cats on different cars. The only aftermarket cats that lasted over 25k miles of aggressive driving/tracking are HJS cats. GESI are solid. That's what the AA downpipe has. The CG DS1 or whatever its called doesnt even list which catalytic converter they're using. Likely junk.
I found HJS cats for a good price but im not sure if they throw a CEL or not, does anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 02:55 PM   #50
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahaeemas View Post
I found HJS cats for a good price but im not sure if they throw a CEL or not, does anyone know?
Their euro 6 cats I think are the ones that shouldn’t produce a CEL
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #51
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
HJS should not trigger the check engine light.

That said, i recommend you use active autowerke since they will replace the downpipe if you get the check engine light, now or in the future. Im not aware of any other company that offers such a guarantee on their downpipe.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      11-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #52
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

That said, i recommend you use active autowerke since they will replace the downpipe if you get the check engine light, now or in the future. Im not aware of any other company that offers such a guarantee on their downpipe.
I chatted today with Burger Motorsports as I was curious if adding a DP would be ok with a JB+ on an otherwise stock M240i. While they of course recommended the JB4 for better control they said the JB+ was mild enough to be fine with a high flow catted DP.

My plan is to upgrade to the JB4 within the 1-year exchange window, but right now I'm enjoying the JB+ enough that I'm not really in a hurry. I have the AA DP in my cart on your website, just wanting to make sure I'm not missing anything or doing anything I shouldn't.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2022, 04:59 AM   #53
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Just get the downpipe!

Power increase is instantly felt, even on a stock car, and the sound is incredible.
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      11-03-2022, 08:55 AM   #54
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
I chatted today with Burger Motorsports as I was curious if adding a DP would be ok with a JB+ on an otherwise stock M240i. While they of course recommended the JB4 for better control they said the JB+ was mild enough to be fine with a high flow catted DP.

My plan is to upgrade to the JB4 within the 1-year exchange window, but right now I'm enjoying the JB+ enough that I'm not really in a hurry. I have the AA DP in my cart on your website, just wanting to make sure I'm not missing anything or doing anything I shouldn't.
Get the downpipe, you will not regret it

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 09:20 AM   #55
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Get the downpipe, you will not regret it
Just did!
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #56
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Just did!

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 08:01 PM   #57
Dahaeemas
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

The part number for the downpipe is ssxty121, I found them for 400 dollars cheaper than the AA downpipe and I’m trying to save as much money as possible. Some sites say that a stage 2 ecu remap is required so I’m not sure if it would be fine to go with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 04:07 AM   #58
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The part number for the downpipe is ssxty121, I found them for 400 dollars cheaper than the AA downpipe and I’m trying to save as much money as possible. Some sites say that a stage 2 ecu remap is required so I’m not sure if it would be fine to go with them.
If they are saying that a stage 2 tune is needed then they probably are not using the HJS cat that will not trigger a cel. Yeah you could mess around with o2 spacers to hopefully resolve a cel (do you really want that headache?) but I’m always of the thought of do it right the first time.

From my research HJS has numerous different cats with all different specs. The only ones that seem like they won’t trigger a cel are their euro 6 compliant ones. Downpipes using the euro 6 HJS cat will most likely be very similar in price to the AA. those precious metals used in cats that are guaranteed to not throw a cel are far from cheap these days.

Spending 1,100 to HOPEFULLY be cel free is silly when you could just save up for a little longer and get the AA downpipe which is guaranteed to be cel free and has a warranty where they will replace it if it’s not. That is well worth the extra money.
Appreciate 3
XC3LLR82062.50
VegasG42390.00
      11-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #59
Alpine Flyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Spending 1,100 to HOPEFULLY be cel free is silly when you could just save up for a little longer and get the AA downpipe which is guaranteed to be cel free and has a warranty where they will replace it if it’s not. That is well worth the extra money.
In principle, I agree with your logic. What would really suck, is if one of us DID get a cel from the AA dp, we would have to remove the faulty dp, send it back to them (not sure who pays the shipping cost), then have to install the new dp. If we are doing the remove/install, just more hard work. If we are paying a shop, a lot of extra $$ that won't be covered by AA. Of course, the chance of a cel is minimal, but still a risk.

I'm fond of an ecu crack and a catless dp. Then again, so are a lot of other people 😆
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #60
Alpine Flyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Flyer View Post
In principle, I agree with your logic. What would really suck, is if one of us DID get a cel from the AA dp, we would have to remove the faulty dp, send it back to them (not sure who pays the shipping cost), then have to install the new dp. If we are doing the remove/install, just more hard work. If we are paying a shop, a lot of extra $$ that won't be covered by AA. Of course, the chance of a cel is minimal, but still a risk.

I'm fond of an ecu crack and a catless dp. Then again, so are a lot of other people 😆
Having said that, I have since decided to get the AA downpipe & not breath in the catless fumes, and even stay legal. It should offer enough extra flow, with no CEL...I hope. Just needed everyone to know that. As you were...
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      12-03-2022, 01:45 AM   #61
bmwman4life11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 s1000rr/ 2022 M240i

Just got my AA catted pipe installed yesterday. Wow! what a difference! It really livens up the car.
Appreciate 2
XC3LLR82062.50
      12-03-2022, 10:12 AM   #62
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwman4life11 View Post
Just got my AA catted pipe installed yesterday. Wow! what a difference! It really livens up the car.
I plan to install mine soon. Glad to hear it made a noticeable improvement.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2022, 11:43 AM   #63
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwman4life11 View Post
Congrats

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 07:36 AM   #64
jbazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 30i , 1990 Miata Turbo

Quote:
Congrats
Received my AA Catted DP from Extreme yesterday and proceeded to install it. Noticeable sound and slight power improvement, even more so with my JB4 enabled. Very nice !
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      12-19-2022, 07:29 AM   #65
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbazz View Post
Received my AA Catted DP from Extreme yesterday and proceeded to install it. Noticeable sound and slight power improvement, even more so with my JB4 enabled. Very nice !
Awesome!!

please post a sound clip when you get a chance

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 05:09 AM   #66
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonezzpeterr View Post
Are there any catless DPs available to buy? I know of the catted ones but I'm looking for catless. Thanks!
There are tons of catless downpipes available. Just go to x-ph.com or any other bmw tuning website and have your pick. VRSF is very popular is catless.
Appreciate 0