bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-21-2023, 11:09 AM   #45
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

The only update worth anything is a shipping notification. No point in nagging them, youll know when it ships.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 04:56 PM   #46
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
The only update worth anything is a shipping notification. No point in nagging them, youll know when it ships.
No. An update such as "we won't have the part for 2 more months" can make one cancel their order to go with a different vendor.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201844.50
      06-21-2023, 05:06 PM   #47
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
No. An update such as "we won't have the part for 2 more months" can make one cancel their order to go with a different vendor.
I don’t work for Dinan but I do run another brand and I also get the “any updates” emails and messages pretty much continuously. If I pick up my phone or iPad there’s usually at least one or two waiting for a reply. You might be surprised how futile ETAs are in this industry. Suppliers hardly give them, and when they do they are anything but firm. You pretty much just guess based on previous transactions. Once they get far enough outside typical timeline, it becomes silly to even bother fabricating an ETA out of thin air. Customers take them very seriously, so even giving a casual “well we’re hoping to maybe see it in the next 3 weeks” turns into a dozen customers writing you in precisely 3 weeks and 15 minutes with “you PROMISED IT BY TODAY!!!” 😂

The only time someone asks me if there’s an update; and there is actually an update; is if the update happened in the last 30 minutes. Otherwise I’d have already given them an update because why withhold details when doing so only results in order cancelations until you do.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 05:11 PM   #48
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Based on their previous replies they had tracking saying it was supposed to arrive on a given day but didn't so to me it sounded like we'd have a material update very soon. It's not like the 3rd party vendor was ghosting Dinan and Dinan was just blindly saying "yeah, a few more weeks"... I hope not at least.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 05:19 PM   #49
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Well I’ve had one on order since a few days after I saw you did. If they don’t complete them soon I’ll meet you outside their offices, and I’ll bring the pitchforks you bring the torches 😂

anything I import; I use DHL so I don’t have to deal with these slow ass cargo ships. But I only bring in hardware and fittings so I can fit thousands in a few small boxes.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 05:21 PM   #50
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I’ve had one on order since a few days after I saw you did. If they don’t complete them soon I’ll meet you outside their offices, and I’ll bring the pitchforks you bring the torches 😂
Lol I just want a realistic estimate so I can cancel and probably buy an MST. They need to find new suppliers.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 08:48 AM   #51
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Before I break it down below the TL;DR response is early July are the new ship dates (some -0052 intake orders may be shipped sooner).

Quote:
I wish that is how everyone thought. Make my days much more productive, I can tell you that.

Quote:
I don’t work for Dinan but I do run another brand and I also get the “any updates” emails and messages pretty much continuously. If I pick up my phone or iPad there’s usually at least one or two waiting for a reply. You might be surprised how futile ETAs are in this industry. Suppliers hardly give them, and when they do they are anything but firm. You pretty much just guess based on previous transactions. Once they get far enough outside typical timeline, it becomes silly to even bother fabricating an ETA out of thin air. Customers take them very seriously, so even giving a casual “well we’re hoping to maybe see it in the next 3 weeks” turns into a dozen customers writing you in precisely 3 weeks and 15 minutes with “you PROMISED IT BY TODAY!!!” 😂

The only time someone asks me if there’s an update; and there is actually an update; is if the update happened in the last 30 minutes. Otherwise I’d have already given them an update because why withhold details when doing so only results in order cancelations until you do.
That customer reaction is exactly the reason I try not to give ETA's at all. Typically if anything it will be something purposefully vague, like Q3 2023 or something. That said, I get the frustration from the customer side on products like this where there is a date displayed on the website (which I absolutely hate BTW and wish it would be set on fire over and over again) which changes frequently based on automatic qualifiers within the ERP system. In this case I thought I was pretty safe as we had tracking to work with so the end was near...

Quote:
Based on their previous replies they had tracking saying it was supposed to arrive on a given day but didn't so to me it sounded like we'd have a material update very soon. It's not like the 3rd party vendor was ghosting Dinan and Dinan was just blindly saying "yeah, a few more weeks"... I hope not at least.
But it wasn't. Container got "lost" for awhile in Nashville which I didnt think was possible but apparently it can be. Lesson learned there -- tracking can't be trusted either. Going back to working with
"until its in our building, it doesnt exist" mentality. Anyway, it eventually was "found" and we did end up getting that container 2.5 weeks after tracking said we should have had it. It's here, Yay, the drama is over! But no, it isn't. Enter curveball #2...

While we were so focused on those missing components we made the mistake of not keeping a close eye on other components and making sure we held back pieces for the big build. Will take responsibility for that error on behalf of everyone here -- was a dumb oversight. To be fair, I don't think anyone thought we needed to given the volume of everything we had at the outset. However, in the last few weeks we have had an uptick in filter sales for an unknown reason that have depleted a healthy amount of stock. So this wasnt noticed til far too late but the balance of the filters on the shelf were held. This brings us to the last couple days and seeing if we could somehow get some of those filters back, press the vendor for a more expedient delivery from our normal restock schedule, etc. Have had limited success on buying back filters on stocking orders as the majority are now on containers being shipped overseas already so timing wise they may as well not exist. However, the vendor has been helpful and is expediting some manufacturing/shipments but we are looking at an early July ETA for those.

The limited filters that we did pull back/quarantine for these backorders are being kitted now. However, these are being allocated to fill the oldest D760-0052 orders as they are by far the oldest in the queue.

Quote:
Quote:
Lol I just want a realistic estimate so I can cancel and probably buy an MST. They need to find new suppliers.
I know a guy that can supply race gas!
Appreciate 2
MPR1822.00
TJZ67201844.50
      06-22-2023, 09:03 AM   #52
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Dinan_Engineering thanks for the update!

Can you kit one up for me without a filter and I can just slap on a K&N? Assuming this is the only bottleneck
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 09:44 AM   #53
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering thanks for the update!

Can you kit one up for me without a filter and I can just slap on a K&N? Assuming this is the only bottleneck
Short answer is no for a variety of system/inventory related reasons. It's a rabbit hole conversation quite frankly but if you want to discuss it feel free to call the support folks and they can break it down in detail. Regardless, the filter is also custom and there is no real replacement equivalent within anyone's universal filter line so it is kind of immaterial anyway. What I see on a quick search which MIGHT work would likely be worse then stock given the sizing. Always try to use existing filter sizes if possible (our own or a size K&N, S&B, Green, BMC or any number of other vendors offer) as it can save on tooling and give supply flexibility but that is not always possible either.
Appreciate 1
MPR1822.00
      06-22-2023, 10:53 AM   #54
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Dinan_Engineering
Totally understand and appreciate the update. I’ve had my fair share of craps with shipping companies lol.

I placed my order mid april. When you mentioned early July, is that an estimated shipping date for my batch of orders? Understand the uncertainties so not looking for an exact date. just wanted a ballpark expectation haha.
      06-22-2023, 11:24 AM   #55
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecst View Post
Dinan_Engineering
Totally understand and appreciate the update. I’ve had my fair share of craps with shipping companies lol.

I placed my order mid april. When you mentioned early July, is that an estimated shipping date for my batch of orders? Understand the uncertainties so not looking for an exact date. just wanted a ballpark expectation haha.
The rush filters we are told are supposed to arrive first week of July. Given its around the 4th holiday that is likely going to be a bit fluid (been down this path before) hence just saying early July for additional shipments beyond the limited number of D760-0052's that are going out today.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 12:31 PM   #56
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
The rush filters we are told are supposed to arrive first week of July. Given its around the 4th holiday that is likely going to be a bit fluid (been down this path before) hence just saying early July for additional shipments beyond the limited number of D760-0052's that are going out today.
Thanks!
      06-30-2023, 10:17 PM   #57
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Dinan_Engineering any updates?/ETA estimates?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 04:44 PM   #58
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Cancelled my order today. Went with BMS competition intake. I like the fact that they utilize the stock heat shield, plus they are actually shipping which is nice
Appreciate 2
P_Chris156.50
applecst249.00
      07-04-2023, 09:39 PM   #59
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Cancelled my order today. Went with BMS competition intake. I like the fact that they utilize the stock heat shield, plus they are actually shipping which is nice
Just cancelled as well and ordered a BMS
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201844.50
      07-04-2023, 10:22 PM   #60
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you found any feedback on sound comparison with MST or Dinan? I watched the only video I could find and the BMS sounds almost stock.. The guy had to put a mic in the airbox
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 06:35 PM   #61
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you found any feedback on sound comparison with MST or Dinan? I watched the only video I could find and the BMS sounds almost stock.. The guy had to put a mic in the airbox
Yeah I saw that video too and was not wowed by the sound. Another member on this forum (can’t remember their name or the thread) has it and said it sounded pretty much the same as all other aftermarket intakes.

Edit: regarding BMS not MST*
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 06:38 PM   #62
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I saw that video too and was not wowed by the sound. Another member on this forum (can’t remember their name or the thread) has it and said it sounded pretty much the same as all other aftermarket intakes.

Edit: regarding BMS not MST*
I ended up canceling my BMS order, kind of just waiting it out as I'm in no rush. Ideally I'd like the Dinan, but if the BMS or MST sound good, I may just get one of them. Since I'm paying $500 for sound, I want the best sounding intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 06:42 PM   #63
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ended up canceling my BMS order, kind of just waiting it out as I'm in no rush. Ideally I'd like the Dinan, but if the BMS or MST sound good, I may just get one of them.
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30267996

There’s the post FYI. Mine already shipped, apparently should arrive by next week. I plan on doing a full write up and will comment on the sound. I have no in person comparison between the other intake options but seen pretty much every video out there of all the others
Appreciate 1
MPR1822.00
      07-05-2023, 07:36 PM   #64
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30267996

There’s the post FYI. Mine already shipped, apparently should arrive by next week. I plan on doing a full write up and will comment on the sound. I have no in person comparison between the other intake options but seen pretty much every video out there of all the others
Sounds good man, looking forward to it
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 08:47 PM   #65
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm gonna wait it out too if it's a July thing (knock on wood). At this point I'm way too emotionally invested lmao
      07-06-2023, 12:45 PM   #66
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Backorder date moved to 7/14
Appreciate 0