home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

05-17-2024, 06:26 AM   #1
TwinWhistles
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 G87 M2 & '24 Rivian R1S

Parking sensors alerting in stop-and-go traffic

I've had my G87 since September and typically take it out on nice days.

Yesterday, I decided to drive it to work in Washington, DC, and while commuting home in a bit of stop-and-go traffic, my parking sensors kept alerting me.

I'm coming from a '20 M5 and never had this issue.

I searched, and I saw others mention that if sensors are covered in PPF, it may cause false alerts, but mine is not wrapped.

I didn't see any way to attenuate the sensor. Is this normal behavior?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 07:07 AM   #2
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinWhistles View Post
I've had my G87 since September and typically take it out on nice days.

Yesterday, I decided to drive it to work in Washington, DC, and while commuting home in a bit of stop-and-go traffic, my parking sensors kept alerting me.

I'm coming from a '20 M5 and never had this issue.

I searched, and I saw others mention that if sensors are covered in PPF, it may cause false alerts, but mine is not wrapped.

I didn't see any way to attenuate the sensor. Is this normal behavior?
Never had my car's parking sensors alert when in traffic.

I've read that debris, like leaves, on a sensor spot can cause false alerts.

Did you have the parking system on? In my 2023 M2 this is controlled by a button just ahead of the auto stop/start button which is just ahead of the engine start/stop button.

For any adjustment to the attenuation of the sensors/alerting I will refer you to the owners manual. Or you can of course when in the car call up the parking system settings and see what's available.

I had to dial back the system to stop it from applying the brakes when backing into my garage. There's a short step at the garage pad but tall enough the senors pick up on this as an obstacle.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 07:30 AM   #3
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

The parking sensors can sometimes be a little wonky. I've had this happen in several vehicles. Sometimes even though the vehicle appeared clean, there was some sort of debris being picked up by the sensor. Clean off the sensors and see if that helps.

Most recently my rear sensors didn't alert when I was backing up near my son's vehicle, and I ended up hitting it. It's 100% on me for not looking behind me & relying on the sensors.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 08:53 AM   #4
TwinWhistles
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 G87 M2 & '24 Rivian R1S

I just went out to start my car, and the parking system button was lit up, so maybe I accidentally hit it at some point. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Never had my car's parking sensors alert when in traffic.

I've read that debris, like leaves, on a sensor spot can cause false alerts.

Did you have the parking system on? In my 2023 M2 this is controlled by a button just ahead of the auto stop/start button which is just ahead of the engine start/stop button.

For any adjustment to the attenuation of the sensors/alerting I will refer you to the owners manual. Or you can of course when in the car call up the parking system settings and see what's available.

I had to dial back the system to stop it from applying the brakes when backing into my garage. There's a short step at the garage pad but tall enough the senors pick up on this as an obstacle.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 09:12 AM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Some parking sensor systems can be affected by systems on other vehicles. Haven’t noticed this with the M2, but our 2021 Macan S is affected by many Fords in stop and go traffic at least on a weekly basis, with false alerts being received when within a car length or so.
Appreciate 0