bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-19-2024, 09:44 PM   #1
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
Anyone else notice different rev limiter for gear 1?

So love driving in manual mode. Actually, I drove off the lot in M mode. I always drive in M mode. If fact, I have no idea what's it like to drive in fully automatic mode, that's how often I use it.

Oringally I thought the car was supposed to shift just under 7K, but when fully rev-ving out the engine I would find it was slapping the limiter and thought it was odd that I had to lead the shift so much.

Also it was immediately apparent to me that the shifts from 3-2, and espcially 2-1 would lock you you from shifting anywhere near 6K, despite having the theoretical room to do so without floating the valve. Downshifting from gears higher than 4-3 lets you downshift right up to the beginning of the red line indicator iirc.

At some other point I ended up sanity checking myself by watching AutoTopNL blast a G42 xDrive on yt and going frame by frame to see when the car would shift in launch mode. It definitely shifts right on the mark at 6K for gear 1. The interesting thing is that after gear 1, the car will rev out to just 2 hairs under 7K.

I'm assuming that BMW set the limiters like this on upshift and downshift perhaps for some imposed mechanical sympathy or some other technical reason, though it seems odd to me without any other context.

Also for posterity's sake, I have xHP flashed with the rev limters raised to 8K, but it's my understanding this is used for some sort of pre-calculation and doesn't actually change the rev limiters.
Appreciate 0