BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

06-03-2023, 07:34 AM   #111
shefledthescene
Rep
Drives: M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggies_dad View Post
interesting, have USAA for all our cars, property as well, maybe I need to shop around...
My husband and I also had USAA and saved 50% by switching to progressive 🙃
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 10:01 AM   #112
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy444 View Post
No, the devices being discussed here just report the vehicle location. In the UK devices that monitor your actual driving tend to be called "black boxes". A tracker is about mitigating theft risk and a black box is about mitigating crash risk. Some insurance companies here offer discounts to (usually young) drivers who opt to have a black box fitted.
I know about the wireless "repeaters" that mimic the key signal and trick the comfort access to unlock but other than that how the hell does one go about stealing these cars? I used to think the high insurance rate was due to engine power not security...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 11:32 AM   #113
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
I know about the wireless "repeaters" that mimic the key signal and trick the comfort access to unlock but other than that how the hell does one go about stealing these cars? I used to think the high insurance rate was due to engine power not security...
A good question. As far as I can see a 240i is no easier or difficult to steal than any other recent vintage BMWs so the whole thing wrt UK premiums specifically for these cars is a puzzler. I could understand it a bit more it if I had Comfort Access (and I know it's more secure than it was) but I would never buy a car with that and, confusingly, the highest premiums I've been quoted were from insurers where you had to declare if it had keyless entry and I said no.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 11:43 AM   #114
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Technically you already have a black box fitted although the info can’t be tied to a driver. All vehicle operational parameters are recorded and sent to BMW.
I know but the insurance won't accept it
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 03:06 PM   #115
JoeyJoeJo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix

Cars stolen via burglary for the keys is UK wide problem, tracker vastly increases recovery rates so can understand why they're being encouraged. Improvements to key sleep state, or like MB where a double press disables keyless, make relay less likely (unless you have JLR lol) so the scumbags just come in through your patio doors and lift the keys.

All my quotes have been pretty reasonable with no restrictions (<£500) apart from the firms that obviously don't want the business and throw out stupid numbers.
      06-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #116
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Trackers can be fairly easily removed by thieves.
Personally, I wouldn’t want a stolen car back. I have insurance. I have vehicle replacement GAP. Steal my car in the next 4 years and I’ll get a brand new one back.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 01:51 AM   #117
dy444
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJo View Post
Cars stolen via burglary for the keys is UK wide problem, tracker vastly increases recovery rates so can understand why they're being encouraged. Improvements to key sleep state, or like MB where a double press disables keyless, make relay less likely (unless you have JLR lol) so the scumbags just come in through your patio doors and lift the keys.
I don't disagree with any of that but they don't ask you about the level of home security you have. If your house has crappy easy to snap locks, no alarm or CCTV and you leave the keys in full view by the front door then that's asking for trouble. It's that car insurers just seem to assume every house is like that.

And better security does work, certainly against those who steal by stealth. Barely a week after I'd bought my new M4, my CCTV recorded 2 masked scrotes looking over the car on my drive at 3am. They looked at the flashing alarm box on the front of the house and then at the front door lock, realised it was a high security lock which wouldn't snap and they left. Even if they'd got in they wouldn't have found the keys (kept in a hidden key safe upstairs) and their presence would have set off the 5 internal alarm sounders which are so loud they make your ears bleed.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 05:13 AM   #118
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't disagree with any of that but they don't ask you about the level of home security you have. If your house has crappy easy to snap locks, no alarm or CCTV and you leave the keys in full view by the front door then that's asking for trouble. It's that car insurers just seem to assume every house is like that.

And better security does work, certainly against those who steal by stealth. Barely a week after I'd bought my new M4, my CCTV recorded 2 masked scrotes looking over the car on my drive at 3am. They looked at the flashing alarm box on the front of the house and then at the front door lock, realised it was a high security lock which wouldn't snap and they left. Even if they'd got in they wouldn't have found the keys (kept in a hidden key safe upstairs) and their presence would have set off the 5 internal alarm sounders which are so loud they make your ears bleed.

The thing about car insurance is illustrated by what you said above. The majority of claims, and more importantly the most expensive claims are not from thefts. They are from injury claims, repairs to property, crash barriers, uninsured drivers following accidents etc. The things you mentioned above are minuscule in the scale of things.

You’re only seeing it from your side.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 07:59 AM   #119
dy444
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The thing about car insurance is illustrated by what you said above. The majority of claims, and more importantly the most expensive claims are not from thefts. They are from injury claims, repairs to property, crash barriers, uninsured drivers following accidents etc. The things you mentioned above are minuscule in the scale of things.

You’re only seeing it from your side.
No I'm not. I'm seeing it from the side of the guy who was quoted £10K to insure a 240 but £500 if he fitted a tracker. That's solely about theft risk.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 09:21 AM   #120
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:

And then there’s the idiots like me that just leaves the key in the car. 🤷🏻&zwj;♂️
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 10:20 AM   #121
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No I'm not. I'm seeing it from the side of the guy who was quoted £10K to insure a 240 but £500 if he fitted a tracker. That's solely about theft risk.
cannockwolf was the drop from £10k to £500 from the same company with the only difference being the tracker?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 11:40 AM   #122
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

Quote:
cannockwolf was the drop from £10k to £500 from the same company with the only difference being the tracker?
Yeah, with adrian flux (tbh i think my mods casued most of the issues as i declared them all to be safe)

i did a search on a comparions site with no mods declared and the cheapest was £550-ish and with mods declared i could of got it for £3500 without the tracker.

with adrian flux i can pay around £550 with a tracker included supplied from them so im happy with that plus i get a tracker
      06-04-2023, 02:59 PM   #123
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Denver, about $750 for 6 months: full coverage with high deductible because I rarely drive.
Appreciate 0