BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

05-23-2022, 11:04 AM   #45
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

My only problem with this and the new G20 is the lack of the gear shifter.

I know it makes sense to not have it at this point, especially considering Germany is banning ICE vehicles in less than 10 years, but it still feels 'cold'.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #46
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I can live with the screen, but the lack of a physical shifter is disappointing in a supposed driver-oriented car. Not a deal breaker, just unneeded IMO. But BMW clearly wants to cut costs and produce just one type of these square units (with the shifter, drive models, iDrive controller etc.), so this is why a shifter is gone on all models.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 11:06 AM   #47
moominter
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
What's the issue with losing the "shifter" on an auto? Not being sarcastic or anything, but this just moves you from park to drive to reverse, right?
Yep.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #48
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
But BMW clearly wants to cut costs and produce just one type of these square units (with the shifter, drive models, iDrive controller etc.), so this is why a shifter is gone on all models.
No that's not why it's going way, as one type of square units have existed in BMWs since early 2000s. id7 controllers are also exactly the same across models.

The reason why they're getting rid of it, is EVs, which don't have gears. Simple as that...
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #49
Shaddy66
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M240i 2022, TRANSIT MS-RT 2021

[QUOTE=Poochie;28935547]What's the point of a shifter lever if it's an automatic anyways? It doesn't even make any sense like a lesbian couple wanting a dildo.. So to speak..

I would rather have more lesbians with dildo’ s than have a tiny shifter
As for id8 it looks crap and doesn’t do the car any favours
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 11:21 AM   #50
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyRadams View Post
I didn't think about resale. You think that would affect the value?
It would affect the value quiet a bit.

No one in real life would prefer id7 to id8. This kind of hate and toxicity for anything new is confined in the Internet.
The immersive 13 inch iDrive 8 display with crispy and inky graphics looks absolutely amazing, I guarantee no one outside of this forum is going to prefer iD7 over this.

I must of read over 20 different reviews on this new iD8 interface and I have yet to hear anything negative.

Also, iDrive 7 runs on the 4G network, iDrive 8 uses the latest 5G hardware. By opting for iD8 over iD7, you are basically future-proofing your vehicle for when the 4G network sunsets in 2029 and the system can no longer function.

This already happen to folks who was unfortunate enough to to end up when a 3G iDrive over the 4G interface. History will repeat itself, you can set your watch to that..

Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      05-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #51
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

I'm with the "why does a shifter even matter if it's an automatic" crew. If they were removing the paddles then I could understand.

Not really getting this gripe but that's the beauty of being an individual. It's not my place to understand, if someone wants something that doesn't make sense to someone else, who cares as long as it makes that person happy and it doesn't affect others.

I want AWD w/ a manual on the G87 and that isn't going to happen but it's weird that some people are against that even being an OPTION.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #52
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Shifter

For all those asking why you need a shifter in an auto:

In my current auto M240i, I drive in "manual" mode most of the time. I usually use the paddles, but when I am turning from a full-stop, I often use the shifter for the shift to 2nd because the paddle shifter is out of place due to the turn.

(Yes, I know I should probably not shift mid-turn...)
Appreciate 4
B///MWGuy263.50
Jimjamz4595.00
      05-23-2022, 11:47 AM   #53
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
What's the issue with losing the "shifter" on an auto? Not being sarcastic or anything, but this just moves you from park to drive to reverse, right?
Uh.. to change gears?
Not everyone likes to use Shift paddle that moves with the handle.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #54
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
For all those asking why you need a shifter in an auto:

In my current auto M240i, I drive in "manual" mode most of the time. I usually use the paddles, but when I am turning from a full-stop, I often use the shifter for the shift to 2nd because the paddle shifter is out of place due to the turn.

(Yes, I know I should probably not shift mid-turn...)
Just FYI, you probably shouldn't shift mid turn
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 12:07 PM   #55
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
No that's not why it's going way, as one type of square units have existed in BMWs since early 2000s. id7 controllers are also exactly the same across models.

The reason why they're getting rid of it, is EVs, which don't have gears. Simple as that...
Yeah but the 2 and 3-series are ICE models, as is the X7 which also lost the gear level for the LCI. So clearly they want to streamline the production of these units for both their EV and ICE portfolio.

Weirdly enough, the i4 has a shifter.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #56
kumizi206
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
BMWs are becoming soul-less.
Yes

Unfortunately, most consumers care more about technology and gizmos than how the car drives. I'm about 6 months of ownership into my 240i and bored of it already. Feels like driving a boat.

I've seen so many threads from BMW guys about how this car is great compared to other BMWs they've driven. Makes me think BMWs are also soulless appliances that happen to be slightly sportier than Lexus or Audi. Can't blame BMW as their main objective is to make money and they're just giving the people what they want.

I think I need to stick to the niche brands like Lotus or Alfa Romeo if I really care about driving.
Appreciate 2
Frosty780.00
Germanauto9717.50
      05-23-2022, 12:24 PM   #57
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
The lack of shifter is a far bigger issue to me than the screen
It really sucks that's where we are going.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #58
Mollyran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 220i

The G42 it not yet in my country so it's only idrive8 for me, I guess, but If I could, I would rush to the dealer and get pre-update interior. I gust like my physical buttons. Fuck Tesla for bringing this horrible trend.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #59
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
I am not sure I get the hate for this change too. It does look odd but I have been driving an electric car (wife's ) for four years now and no shifter is not a big deal. And my limited time in auto ICE cars, I just put it in d and go.

And yes, my daily is still a manual for those who may think I don't "get it" with shifting.
Appreciate 4
jpcoop364.00
Poochie9104.50
bmwBRIE24.00
      05-23-2022, 01:38 PM   #60
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

No gear selector would seriously get to me. I'm not a 6MT driver but even still I need a gear shifter to hold onto and operate with. If I'm driving very enthusiastically both hands are on the wheel and I'm paddle shifting, but if I'm driving somewhat aggressive or just cruising my hand's resting on the gear shifter simply because it's most engaging and most comfortable. Maybe I'm in the minority here and people could care less about having a gear selector in an automatic, but for me it's both an excitement thing and a resting/relaxation thing. Taking away the gear selector is taking away from driving enjoyment in both sporty driving and casual driving.
      05-23-2022, 01:48 PM   #61
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Quote:
I am not sure I get the hate for this change too. It does look odd but I have been driving an electric car (wife's ) for four years now and no shifter is not a big deal. And my limited time in auto ICE cars, I just put it in d and go.

And yes, my daily is still a manual for those who may think I don't "get it" with shifting.
I don't see the point or need for a shift lever or even paddle shifters for that matter on an automatic vehicle. You choose an automatic tranny, just embrace it for it is and not what it isn't.

Holding the gears with the manual overdrive is literally just putting unnecessary strain on the transmission or burning up gas for no good reason, other than to pretend you're operating a manual or the false notion that you are more efficient than the computer.

Most people will have a play with them when the first get a vehicle with paddle shifters but the vast majority will soon realise they're little more than a gimmick and they'll stick to letting the automatic transmission do its stuff 99% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 01:50 PM   #62
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Maybe it's psychological but whatever it is I just know I don't like NOT having one. It makes the car feel even more like an appliance. I also occasionally shift with the shifter even though it's auto it makes a difference to me and feels more engaging.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 02:05 PM   #63
moominter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumizi206 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
BMWs are becoming soul-less.
Yes

Unfortunately, most consumers care more about technology and gizmos than how the car drives. I'm about 6 months of ownership into my 240i and bored of it already. Feels like driving a boat.

I've seen so many threads from BMW guys about how this car is great compared to other BMWs they've driven. Makes me think BMWs are also soulless appliances that happen to be slightly sportier than Lexus or Audi. Can't blame BMW as their main objective is to make money and they're just giving the people what they want.

I think I need to stick to the niche brands like Lotus or Alfa Romeo if I really care about driving.
Have you had a Lotus ?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 02:05 PM   #64
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Quote:

I don't see the point or need for a shift lever or even paddle shifters for that matter on an automatic vehicle. You choose an automatic vehicle, just embrace it for it is and not what it isn't.

Holding the gears with the manual overdrive is literally just putting unnecessary strain on the transmission or burning up gas for no go reason, other than to pretend you're operating a manual or the false notion that you are more efficient than the computer.

Most people will have a play with them when the first get a vehicle with paddle shifters but the vast majority will soon realise they're little more than a gimmick and they'll stick to letting the automatic transmission do its stuff 99% of the time.
there are plenty scenarios when I want to put car in a specific gear and hold it such as passing a vehicle up hill. I do not want to think about whether zf8 is gonna drop a gear or two mid-point and now I have to quickly get on the go pedal hoping it would "allow me" to get more power. I can change gears up and down without ever looking at the selector with my right hand while I watch the road and rpm. This same skill applies to manual and dct hence it is transferable. It is even more important when I get shitty 4cyl rental.

Have you ever done this?
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2022, 02:09 PM   #65
moominter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyRadams View Post
I didn't think about resale. You think that would affect the value?
It would affect the value quiet a bit.

No one in real life would prefer id7 to id8. This kind of hate and toxicity for anything new is confined in the Internet.
The immersive 13 inch iDrive 8 display with crispy and inky graphics looks absolutely amazing, I guarantee no one outside of this forum is going to prefer iD7 over this.

I must of read over 20 different reviews on this new iD8 interface and I have yet to hear anything negative.

Also, iDrive 7 runs on the 4G network, iDrive 8 uses the latest 5G hardware. By opting for iD8 over iD7, you are basically future-proofing your vehicle for when the 4G network sunsets in 2029 and the system can no longer function.

This already happen to folks who was unfortunate enough to to end up when a 3G iDrive over the 4G interface. History will repeat itself, you can set your watch to that..

That's interesting , not seen the ID8 screens yet but I'm told they make the ID7 look last gen & the heads up is better .
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 02:10 PM   #66
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
It looks like shit. There, I said it.
I agree
Appreciate 0