Quote:
Originally Posted by moominter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyRadams View Post
I didn't think about resale. You think that would affect the value?
It would affect the value quiet a bit.

No one in real life would prefer id7 to id8. This kind of hate and toxicity for anything new is confined in the Internet.
The immersive 13 inch iDrive 8 display with crispy and inky graphics looks absolutely amazing, I guarantee no one outside of this forum is going to prefer iD7 over this.

I must of read over 20 different reviews on this new iD8 interface and I have yet to hear anything negative.

Also, iDrive 7 runs on the 4G network, iDrive 8 uses the latest 5G hardware. By opting for iD8 over iD7, you are basically future-proofing your vehicle for when the 4G network sunsets in 2029 and the system can no longer function.

This already happen to folks who was unfortunate enough to to end up when a 3G iDrive over the 4G interface. History will repeat itself, you can set your watch to that..

That's interesting , not seen the ID8 screens yet but I'm told they make the ID7 look last gen & the heads up is better .
I haven't seen one in person myself but from the videos I've viewed online, the graphics is very clean and natural.

Although it's not an OLED display, it does have 4K resolution, with HBO Max, Showtime, Hulu, YouTube, ect. installed natively and even comes with its own independent T-Mobile unlimited 5G connection for $20 a month.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 02:42 PM   #69
khearon23
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i, 2022 GR Supra

Well…..

Passenger Lumbar Delete - $175
Touchscreen Delete - $500

Gearshift Delete - Priceless

Damn supply chain issues! 🤬
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #70
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Definitely worth getting the manual M2 over this. Seriously BMW what the heck are you thinking? Is this to "untrain" people as we move to electric or something? I love having a shifter and use it all the time in my 430. It's very satisfying and sometimes when turning it's hard to find the shift lever. Blah humbug.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9717.50
      05-23-2022, 02:50 PM   #71
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
What's the issue with losing the "shifter" on an auto? Not being sarcastic or anything, but this just moves you from park to drive to reverse, right?
I am not sure I get the hate for this change too. It does look odd but I have been driving an electric car (wife's ) for four years now and no shifter is not a big deal. And my limited time in auto ICE cars, I just put it in d and go.

And yes, my daily is still a manual for those who may think I don't "get it" with shifting.
I don't see the point or need for a shift lever or even paddle shifters for that matter on an automatic vehicle. You choose an automatic vehicle, just embrace it for it is and not what it isn't.

Holding the gears with the manual overdrive is literally just putting unnecessary strain on the transmission or burning up gas for no go reason, other than to pretend you're operating a manual or the false notion that you are more efficient than the computer.

Most people will have a play with them when the first get a vehicle with paddle shifters but the vast majority will soon realise they're little more than a gimmick and they'll stick to letting the automatic transmission do its stuff 99% of the time.
there are plenty scenarios when I want to put car in a specific gear and hold it such as passing a vehicle up hill. I do not want to think about whether zf8 is gonna drop a gear or two mid-point and now I have to quickly get on the go pedal hoping it would "allow me" to get more power. I can change gears up and down without ever looking at the selector with my right hand while I watch the road and rpm. This same skill applies to manual and dct hence it is transferable. It is even more important when I get shitty 4cyl rental.

Have you ever done this?
I've used dozens of brand new automatic BMWs loaner cars, from 4 to 6 cylinders, some even with the MSRP sticker still on it and I have to tell you, although the ZF8 is fast as F, I must say, the art of utilizing paddle shifters to manipulate the gear changes gets old very quickly.

After messing around with the gear selector and burning up half tank of gas just keeping the revs up, in a futile attempt of extracting some fun, in the back of my mind I know for a fact it was a counter-productive exercise, as the computer and transmission kickdown are way better at producing the most efficient speed. So, I then just put it back in D and let the electronics do its thing.

I honestly tried to go in with an open mind but it just feels so gimmicky, like it was added as an afterthought, simply to fulfill one's amusement, where efficiency takes a back seat. Without the existence of a clutch pedal, a paddle-shifting automatic may as well be a PlayStation steering wheel to me.

Anyways, I know it's a touchy subject because some folks here swear by paddle shifting and I really don't want anyone to feel combative about their personal choices, so we'll just chuck it up to a matter of personal preference.
Appreciate 4
      05-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #72
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Glad they "cut costs" by dispatching the xDrive and started offering a RWD M240i. 😆
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #73
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
I've used dozens of brand new automatic BMWs loaner cars, from 4 to 6 cylinders, some even with the MSRP sticker still on it and I have to tell you, although the ZF8 is fast as F, I must say, the art of utilizing paddle shifters to manipulate the gear changes gets old very quickly.

After messing around with the gear selector and burning up half tank of gas just keeping the revs up, in a futile attempt of extracting some fun, in the back of my mind I know for a fact it was a counter-productive exercise, as the computer and transmission kickdown are way better at producing the most efficient speed. So, I then just put it back in D and let the electronics do its thing.

I honestly tried to go in with an open mind but it just feels so gimmicky, like it was added as an afterthought, simply to fulfill one's amusement, where efficiency takes a back seat. Without the existence of a clutch pedal, a paddle-shifting automatic may as well be a PlayStation steering wheel to me.

Anyways, I know it's a touchy subject because some folks here swear by paddle shifting and I really don't want anyone to feel combative about their personal choices, so we'll just chuck it up to a matter of personal preference.
Maybe they fare better on a Ferrari or other elite cars that are out of reach for most of us, but I've consistently found paddle shifters to be gimmicky and unexciting as well. You are not alone.
Poochie9104.50
      05-23-2022, 03:11 PM   #74
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Paddles are useful if you want to hold it in a specific gear, not 100% a gimmick. Plus they give you something to toy/be engaged with while driving
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      05-23-2022, 04:33 PM   #75
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I hope different shifter for M2 Comp...
      05-23-2022, 04:37 PM   #76
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumizi206 View Post
Yes

Unfortunately, most consumers care more about technology and gizmos than how the car drives. I'm about 6 months of ownership into my 240i and bored of it already. Feels like driving a boat.

I've seen so many threads from BMW guys about how this car is great compared to other BMWs they've driven. Makes me think BMWs are also soulless appliances that happen to be slightly sportier than Lexus or Audi. Can't blame BMW as their main objective is to make money and they're just giving the people what they want.

I think I need to stick to the niche brands like Lotus or Alfa Romeo if I really care about driving.

I still really like the M2, and I think most other models are still decent handling cars. But [sounding like a broken record here] BMW has pivoted toward engineering the "ultimate daily driver" rather than engineering "the ultimate driving machine." The "BMW guys" who are raving about these cars likely have an altered frame of reference since most were not BMW customers during the brand's heydey or owned any decent handlings cars before. It's akin to all the Tesla fans who used to have mediocre Priuses and Subarus and now finally have a car with throttle response and some sex appeal.

There is just a small remaining niche of consumers who really care how a car "feels" to drive, and just a few cars that really still deliver on that front. Porsches, the outgoing M2, Lotus, Alfa Romeo, Cadillac's Blackwing division, Miata, GR86, etc. still seem to prioritize the "feel" of driving. But of course, aside from Porsche and their absurd prices, all these niche products come with some drawbacks.

Last edited by Germanauto; 05-23-2022 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 3
ASAP10187.50
Kay.Say15.00
      05-23-2022, 04:53 PM   #77
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't see the point or need for a shift lever or even paddle shifters for that matter on an automatic vehicle. You choose an automatic tranny, just embrace it for it is and not what it isn't.

Holding the gears with the manual overdrive is literally just putting unnecessary strain on the transmission or burning up gas for no good reason, other than to pretend you're operating a manual or the false notion that you are more efficient than the computer.

Most people will have a play with them when the first get a vehicle with paddle shifters but the vast majority will soon realise they're little more than a gimmick and they'll stick to letting the automatic transmission do its stuff 99% of the time.
I see your point when just cruising on a main road, but on a twisty canyon road, I 100% shift gears myself! The pleasure of kicking down into 2nd before the corner and nailing into 3rd when exiting is so satisfying.

RIP BMW shifters, but at least paddles remain. I rue the day I won't even have paddles to play with once EVs become the norm.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
eddj464.50
      05-23-2022, 05:11 PM   #78
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumizi206 View Post
Yes

Unfortunately, most consumers care more about technology and gizmos than how the car drives. I'm about 6 months of ownership into my 240i and bored of it already. Feels like driving a boat.

I've seen so many threads from BMW guys about how this car is great compared to other BMWs they've driven. Makes me think BMWs are also soulless appliances that happen to be slightly sportier than Lexus or Audi. Can't blame BMW as their main objective is to make money and they're just giving the people what they want.

I think I need to stick to the niche brands like Lotus or Alfa Romeo if I really care about driving.

I still really like the M2, and I think most other models are still decent handling cars. But [sounding like a broken record here] BMW has pivoted toward engineering the "ultimate daily driver" rather than engineering "the ultimate driving machine." The "BMW guys" who are raving about these cars likely have an altered frame of reference since most were not BMW customers during the brand's heydey or owned any decent handlings cars before. It's akin to all the Tesla fans who used to have mediocre Priuses and Subarus and now finally have a car with throttle response and some sex appeal.

There is just a small remaining niche of consumers who really care how a car "feels" to drive, and just a few cars that really still deliver on that front. Porsches, the outgoing M2, Lotus, Alfa Romeo, Cadillac's Blackwing division, Miata, GR86, etc. still seem to prioritize the "feel" of driving. But of course, aside from Porsche and their absurd prices, all these niche products come with some drawbacks.
You really make a great point here... a lot of people here that praise these tech updates are people that were never here during the brands driving first hay day. Moreover, the point on the Tesla owners and their prior cars is bang on.
      05-23-2022, 05:48 PM   #79
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
You really make a great point here... a lot of people here that praise these tech updates are people that were never here during the brands driving first hay day. Moreover, the point on the Tesla owners and their prior cars is bang on.
Thanks. BMWs existing customers have obviously changed too. My father always drove small sedans and loved his E90, but now he's in his mid-50s and just wants a comfortable boat with good tech and cameras. He loves driving my mom's lazy G05 X5. Got himself a Macan because the Boxster "is too low" but never even drives it because "the seats are uncomfortable and tech is bad."

Point being, even older BMW fans had their fun and moved on to new priorities.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2022, 06:10 PM   #80
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

I mean I don't hate it… but I 100% don't need any of this shit. My car has apple carplay, siriusxm, and that's all I need.

Who needs all of this shit? What functionality does this even provide on a daily basis that people actually use?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:40 PM   #81
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
What's the issue with losing the "shifter" on an auto? Not being sarcastic or anything, but this just moves you from park to drive to reverse, right?
Think Freud.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-23-2022, 08:32 PM   #82
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am not sure I get the hate for this change too. It does look odd but I have been driving an electric car (wife's ) for four years now and no shifter is not a big deal. And my limited time in auto ICE cars, I just put it in d and go.

And yes, my daily is still a manual for those who may think I don't "get it" with shifting.
I don't see the point or need for a shift lever or even paddle shifters for that matter on an automatic vehicle. You choose an automatic vehicle, just embrace it for it is and not what it isn't.

Holding the gears with the manual overdrive is literally just putting unnecessary strain on the transmission or burning up gas for no go reason, other than to pretend you're operating a manual or the false notion that you are more efficient than the computer.

there are plenty scenarios when I want to put car in a specific gear and hold it such as passing a vehicle up hill. I do not want to think about whether zf8 is gonna drop a gear or two mid-point and now I have to quickly get on the go pedal hoping it would "allow me" to get more power. I can change gears up and down without ever looking at the selector with my right hand while I watch the road and rpm. This same skill applies to manual and dct hence it is transferable. It is even more important when I get shitty 4cyl rental.

Have you ever done this?

I've owned 8 bmws over the years. The paddle shifters are somewhat gimmicky and for most people definitely. Not for the M3 for me though. I've had 2 manual M3's and 1 DCT. The DCT paddles were an absolute necessity for me. I used them all the time, especially driving in mountain roads. I also like them in my 4 cylinder 430 convertible - I think the 295 ft-lb of torque makes it fun to decide when I want the transmission to shift. And as much hate as the 4cyl gets, I actually surprisingly like it. Part of it is nostalgia from the good ol' days, part is being able to get to and manage the limits and having to work harder to go fast, and part of it is the lower weight and better balance. This car has more power than my higher level trim, 6 cylinder had in the 2003 and 2005 330i. It's fairly quick by relative terms. I have the M sport suspension and package which makes the car tight and sticky and handle well. So I do think an argument could be made that for some models and/or for some types of drivers, the paddles and the shifter make total sense. If you want to get rid of them, buy a Mercedes (oh wait…my GL450 family SUV had em too… ok buy a Honda minivan - oh wait that had them too!)
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-23-2022, 08:45 PM   #83
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have you ever done this?

I was ref to the gear shifter in the console. Left hand on the wheel rh on the shifter. I do like having a choice to select and stay in gear when needed by using the shifter. On track or faster broads with two hands on the wheel dct paddles are excellent. So I agree that economy models may not need them but sport models should have them.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2022, 01:32 AM   #84
wunderbar911
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi coupe (space grey)

Not a fan of either change. Just when I'm excited here about possibly replacing my E92 with G42, BMW goes and removes the shifter and sticks on this long display.
Might have to start considering switching brands ...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 02:25 AM   #85
earthie1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

Just curious, is there an increase in price changing from the current iDrive 7 to iDrive 8? Would saying 3000$ more be a good estimate?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 05:28 AM   #86
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post

It doesn't look properly "integrated" into the dash.
Here's what I'm talking about…(This is what we get to look "forward" to in the M3 and soon M4)
Attached Images

05-24-2022, 06:28 AM   #87
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't look properly "integrated" into the dash.
Here's what I'm talking about…(This is what we get to look "forward" too in the M3 and soon M4)
ya there is no way I'm paying premium for shit design
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41627.50
      05-24-2022, 07:07 AM   #88
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

I just purchased a new BMW M240i. I use the car as a "daily".

In my 40-years of buying cars, I’ve owned sticks before including Mustang GTs and a few others. And of course RWD cars as well. But I have to say the M240i with its tons of power/pull, AWD, dampers and quick shifting automatic, using or not using the paddle shifters, is a great “combination”. It all works “together” to deliver a “daily” that is also very fast and sporty and a blast to drive, which I’m sure was BMW’s goal.

As far as the ID-8 is concerned, I “hate” the cheep, bolt-on look and the trend of more screens and less buttons and no shifter. And, when the time comes to trade the M240i, I hate the look of ID-8 to the point of maybe moving on from BMW “if” something better comes along. Heck, I didn’t even get the video game dash in my new M240i but opted for the “dial” speedometer and tachometer dash instead. When I'm doing some "spirited" driving, I don't need or want to look at more than that.

Bob
Appreciate 1
Roadwar128.50