BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

05-24-2022, 08:05 AM   #89
PR X13.5i
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 3.5i

This thing of eliminating physical buttons has to be the worst trend in the automotive industry. Years of human machine integration lost for some fad. Ridiculous.
Appreciate 8
ChrisM41627.50
Mavus2035.50
TJZ67201843.50
TargaM22494.00
Roadwar128.50
Lucky1650.00
      05-24-2022, 08:09 AM   #90
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
I am not sure I get the hate for this change too. It does look odd but I have been driving an electric car (wife's ) for four years now and no shifter is not a big deal. And my limited time in auto ICE cars, I just put it in d and go.

And yes, my daily is still a manual for those who may think I don't "get it" with shifting.
This isn't personal preference. It has been proven repeatedly across multiple UX and transportation safety studies that this style of interface is bad. It requires you to look at it. What else do you need to know? IAmRoadsmart measured reaction times in a study with the NHTSA and found that using the touchscreen (Apple carplay or android auto) was equivalent or slightly worse than being at 0.08. Pretty sure we view that as a crime in most places but apparently touch screens are all good. That study was done before we removed even more functions away from tactile buttons for cost saving reasons—I mean because it's the future or whatever.

That picture of the new iDrive slab in the M4 is hysterical btw. Is it just sitting on the trim piece itself?? Lol.
PeterWT253.50
      05-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #91
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Quote:
Just curious, what does one need the shifter for when it's not a manual and all you are doing is pressing a few buttons on a stick? Even for shifting, why would someone not use the paddles?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
Quote:
BMWs are becoming soul-less.
Do you know what the "Ultimate Driving Machine" means when you cant even grab a shifter? No thanks.
What's the point of a shifter lever if it's an automatic anyways? It doesn't even make any sense like a lesbian couple wanting a dildo.. So to speak..

They may as well chop it off for expedience and aesthetics, you still have the steering wheel paddles to modulate the gear changes.
Quote:
Quote:
First it was the bonnet, then removal of door locks from center console, then FWD, then 4-cyl engines, forced induction on M cars (this is one I can tolerate), now we get no buttons and no shifter.

Do you know what the "Ultimate Driving Machine" means when you cant even grab a shifter? No thanks.
Just curious, what does one need the shifter for when it's not a manual and all you are doing is pressing a few buttons on a stick? Even for shifting, why would someone not use the paddles?
A lot of people enjoy dildos.

That's like asking why do you need keys if you can open it with your phone. Or why do we need a tachometer if it's an automatic and will shift by itself right?
I learn something new everyday..

And iDrive 8 uses a revised version of the Comfort Access system, where key fobs are no longer necessary; it unlocks the car (automatically) and starts the engine with just the NFC in your phone.

And once again, yes, "automatic" literally means it shifts for itself, where the tachometer is there for vanity. It's serves as much purpose as a shifter lever.

I'm trying to understand your grievances but it sounds more like nitpicking, just for the sake of it.

You can do that in Idrive 7

Cars that are made from 2019 all had that feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #92
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanEJC View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
Quote:
BMWs are becoming soul-less.
What's the point of a shifter lever if it's an automatic anyways? It doesn't even make any sense like a lesbian couple wanting a dildo.. So to speak..

They may as well chop it off for expedience and aesthetics, you still have the steering wheel paddles to modulate the gear changes.
Quote:
Quote:
First it was the bonnet, then removal of door locks from center console, then FWD, then 4-cyl engines, forced induction on M cars (this is one I can tolerate), now we get no buttons and no shifter.

A lot of people enjoy dildos.

That's like asking why do you need keys if you can open it with your phone. Or why do we need a tachometer if it's an automatic and will shift by itself right?
I learn something new everyday..

And iDrive 8 uses a revised version of the Comfort Access system, where key fobs are no longer necessary; it unlocks the car (automatically) and starts the engine with just the NFC in your phone.

And once again, yes, "automatic" literally means it shifts for itself, where the tachometer is there for vanity. It's serves as much purpose as a shifter lever.

I'm trying to understand your grievances but it sounds more like nitpicking, just for the sake of it.

You can do that in Idrive 7

Cars that are made from 2019 all had that feature.
The older system required you to make close or physical contact with car, by touching the door handle or placing the phone in the charging tray.

This new one works like the key fob, your phone can remain in your pocket and it still communicates with the vehicle, to open the car or start it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #93
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
What's the issue with losing the "shifter" on an auto? Not being sarcastic or anything, but this just moves you from park to drive to reverse, right?
I am not sure I get the hate for this change too. It does look odd but I have been driving an electric car (wife's ) for four years now and no shifter is not a big deal. And my limited time in auto ICE cars, I just put it in d and go.

And yes, my daily is still a manual for those who may think I don't "get it" with shifting.
I don't see the point or need for a shift lever or even paddle shifters for that matter on an automatic vehicle. You choose an automatic vehicle, just embrace it for it is and not what it isn't.

Holding the gears with the manual overdrive is literally just putting unnecessary strain on the transmission or burning up gas for no go reason, other than to pretend you're operating a manual or the false notion that you are more efficient than the computer.

Most people will have a play with them when the first get a vehicle with paddle shifters but the vast majority will soon realise they're little more than a gimmick and they'll stick to letting the automatic transmission do its stuff 99% of the time.
there are plenty scenarios when I want to put car in a specific gear and hold it such as passing a vehicle up hill. I do not want to think about whether zf8 is gonna drop a gear or two mid-point and now I have to quickly get on the go pedal hoping it would "allow me" to get more power. I can change gears up and down without ever looking at the selector with my right hand while I watch the road and rpm. This same skill applies to manual and dct hence it is transferable. It is even more important when I get shitty 4cyl rental.

Have you ever done this?
I've used dozens of brand new automatic BMWs loaner cars, from 4 to 6 cylinders, some even with the MSRP sticker still on it and I have to tell you, although the ZF8 is fast as F, I must say, the art of utilizing paddle shifters to manipulate the gear changes gets old very quickly.

After messing around with the gear selector and burning up half tank of gas just keeping the revs up, in a futile attempt of extracting some fun, in the back of my mind I know for a fact it was a counter-productive exercise, as the computer and transmission kickdown are way better at producing the most efficient speed. So, I then just put it back in D and let the electronics do its thing.

I honestly tried to go in with an open mind but it just feels so gimmicky, like it was added as an afterthought, simply to fulfill one's amusement, where efficiency takes a back seat. Without the existence of a clutch pedal, a paddle-shifting automatic may as well be a PlayStation steering wheel to me.

Anyways, I know it's a touchy subject because some folks here swear by paddle shifting and I really don't want anyone to feel combative about their personal choices, so we'll just chuck it up to a matter of personal preference.
I've owned 8 bmws over the years. The paddle shifters are somewhat gimmicky and for most people definitely. Not for the M3 for me though. I've had 2 manual M3's and 1 DCT. The DCT paddles were an absolute necessity for me. I used them all the time, especially driving in mountain roads. I also like them in my 4 cylinder 430 convertible - I think the 295 ft-lb of torque makes it fun to decide when I want the transmission to shift. And as much hate as the 4cyl gets, I actually surprisingly like it. Part of it is nostalgia from the good ol' days, part is being able to get to and manage the limits and having to work harder to go fast, and part of it is the lower weight and better balance. This car has more power than my higher level trim, 6 cylinder had in the 2003 and 2005 330i. It's fairly quick by relative terms. I have the M sport suspension and package which makes the car tight and sticky and handle well. So I do think an argument could be made that for some models and/or for some types of drivers, the paddles and the shifter make total sense. If you want to get rid of them, buy a Mercedes (oh wait…my GL450 family SUV had em too… ok buy a Honda minivan - oh wait that had them too!)
I agree with you on this.

A DCT works by using two clutches, both working in tandem but computer controlled, so there's no need for a clutch pedal. A computers eliminate the need for the driver to manually change gears and the entire process is automated. So you basically get the grunt of manual gear change, with all the fanfare but just some of the work is handled by the computer. It's the closest thing to a manual transmission but you still lose some of that control you get from a clutch pedal modulation.

ZF8 is a completely different setup, where everything is automated and the feel of gear changes are blunted by a torque converter. The 'manual' gear change override is purely artificial and not necessary for normal operational function but purely added for the driver's visceral pleasure - the definition of a gimmick. There was time in the earlier version of BMW ZF8 where they artificially added "gear bangs" where it would feel like one gear was slamming into the other - or the transmission mounts were all broken. It was quite amusing they went that hard to mimic the feel of a DCT, probably the expense of the transmission or motor mounts premature wear.

DCT is ok but at this point, unless it's a supercar like an Audi R8, Lamborghini Huracan or a Ferrari where a manual option went the way of the Dodo bird, I can't really see the point or the need for paddle shifters or a shift lever. Just put it in drive and let it be.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #94
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

So, how do you 'shift' (change) between Drive and Sport without a shift lever?
I do that all the time. I hope that hasn't been moved to a touchscreen menu.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #95
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
So, how do you 'shift' (change) between Drive and Sport without a shift lever?
I do that all the time. I hope that hasn't been moved to a touchscreen menu.
There is a dedicated "Sport" in the center console.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #96
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That is for the engine/suspension programs, not the transmission program. The D and S on the shifter independently controls the transmission program, e.g. shift points.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 12:59 PM   #97
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:

That is for the engine/suspension programs, not the transmission program. The D and S on the shifter independently controls the transmission program, e.g. shift points.
You mean automated sport shifting - good question!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 01:04 PM   #98
earthie1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I believe that the new gear shifter, you would have to pull down the gear shifter again from D to get to D/S
Appreciate 1
PeterWT253.50
      05-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #99
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthie1 View Post
I believe that the new gear shifter, you would have to pull down the gear shifter again from D to get to D/S
Yep, that's how Audi does it.

I'm kind of torn - I like just tapping the shifter to the left for twisties, then I can just pop it back over to the right when I'm done with the spirited driving...

I'm sure it's something you'd quickly get used to.. Just pull down, then pull down again when done.

I'm a bit surprised that they would be doing an LCI this fast......... Was hoping it would be atleast 2-3 years.
Appreciate 1
PeterWT253.50
      05-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #100
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthie1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yea probably, I didn't get a chance to play with it yet so I can't say for sure if you're correct but this is more likely the the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #101
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I guess you can't have it your way anymore but however it was now changed to, I'm sure it will still be intuitive or maybe even better.

At least they still left the paddles as is.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #102
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:

This isn't personal preference. It has been proven repeatedly across multiple UX and transportation safety studies that this style of interface is bad. It requires you to look at it. What else do you need to know? IAmRoadsmart measured reaction times in a study with the NHTSA and found that using the touchscreen (Apple carplay or android auto) was equivalent or slightly worse than being at 0.08. Pretty sure we view that as a crime in most places but apparently touch screens are all good. That study was done before we removed even more functions away from tactile buttons for cost saving reasons—I mean because it's the future or whatever.

That picture of the new iDrive slab in the M4 is hysterical btw. Is it just sitting on the trim piece itself?? Lol.
I was talking about the shifter. Not the touch screen.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 03:57 PM   #103
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess you can't have it your way anymore but however it was now changed to, I'm sure it will still be intuitive or maybe even better.

That's not a consolation prize for me. I rarely use the paddles. I use the shifter multiple times on every drive to switch between D & S and I also rest my hand there.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 04:22 PM   #104
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's not a consolation prize for me. I rarely use the paddles. I use the shifter multiple times on every drive to switch between D & S and I also rest my hand there.
You could always leave it D and just drive it like an automatic, by keeping both hands on the steering wheel, just as God intended..

The shift lever is gone and nothing is going to change that fact. Especially since I have on good authority that the next version of the 2 Series is going to be all electric.

BMW and every manufacturer changes the design of the product over time. There are a list of grievances I could bitch about, on a dozen different of products that have changed over my lifetime which I didn't appreciate but such is life.

Like for instance, BMW removed manual option on the standard 2 Series and also rewired the US-spec taillights making it difficult to swap it with the Euro version, unlike the previous generation. But at this point, it's counter-productive to keep dwelling on it. So it's better to adapt to the change and make the best of what they have to offer - or not - by moving towards another brand with a shift lever.
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2022, 04:41 PM   #105
Lenny33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Bam!😁
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 05:54 PM   #106
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You could always leave it D and just drive it like an automatic, by keeping both hands on the steering wheel, just as God intended..

The shift lever is gone and nothing is going to change that fact. Especially since I have on good authority that the next version of the 2 Series is going to be all electric.

BMW and every manufacturer changes the design of the product over time. There are a list of grievances I could bitch about, on a dozen different of products that have changed over my lifetime which I didn't appreciate but such is life.

Like for instance, BMW removed manual option on the standard 2 Series and also rewired the US-spec taillights making it difficult to swap it with the Euro version, unlike the previous generation. But at this point, it's counter-productive to keep dwelling on it. So it's better to adapt to the change and make the best of what they have to offer - or not - by moving towards another brand with a shift lever.
Saying "...it's better to adapt to the change and make the best of what they have to offer..." is contrary to the purpose of a forum, which is to discuss and yes, sometimes b1tch about, the subject matter; in this case BMW vehicles.

And, if I believed there was a god, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't dictate how many hands I should keep on a steering wheel at any given time, or if/when I should use the various shift programs available on a transmission.
Appreciate 1
P_Chris156.50
      05-25-2022, 12:43 AM   #107
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Once I learn how the new shifter works, I can get used to it. I am sure you will be able to tune the transmission/engine modes in sport individual anyways. So although traditional and intuitive, the physical shifter is not a necessity.

Also, not a fan of the aluminum rhombicle interior trim. At this price point, carbon fiber should be an option. Like it is on the X3 M40i.

Last edited by Thundernight; 05-25-2022 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 01:25 AM   #108
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
Quote:

OK, I drive an M2 having had both the original and now the Comp for a total of almost 5 years.
I only drive in Manual (Never Auto) with the shifter, never the paddles and I am sure others do the same.
In between I rest my left hand on the shifter (Australia). I know…I know…I should have both hands on the wheel… but this is Australia where driving is at a minimal speed.
For the first time last week I used WAZE navigation via Apple Car Play and a number of times had to use the touch screen…doing this at 100kmh on a horrible one lane each way Australian road it was almost impossible as the bumps made my hand miss the spot I needed.
Then the next day all I could see was finger prints all over the screen
No way for me these screens are a distraction from focusing on driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #109
mattebe
Rep
Drives: M240i

For those in UK/Germany who tracked this before and after the model year change…how much did you see the price inflate for the new model year?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:29 AM   #110
8800GT
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattebe View Post
For those in UK/Germany who tracked this before and after the model year change…how much did you see the price inflate for the new model year?
Depends on your config. Mine became 250€ more expensive (64000€ vs 64250€). Overall it´s about the same now But discount decreased a bit (by 2-3% I´d guess).
Appreciate 1
EXE462101.50