BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-01-2022, 09:45 AM   #23
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
No, I probably should have, but I want the MP one and I want it to work. If they fixed it with the original one I'd still need to install this one and break it again.
Thanks for posting this, I have one I planned on installing. I'm boggled how this issue occured, I appreciate you keeping us posted on how this get resolved.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #24
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I'm curious as to the solution as well. My situation is a bit different but couple be related.

I replaced my steering wheel trim with the BMW M Performance CF trim, a couple weeks later, I get "Driver Restraint Malfunction" every time I start the car. Install went perfectly and I haven't done anything else to the car, no bumps, accidents, chance of water damage (other than standard washing the car I guess), or anything out of the ordinary driving that should cause seatbelt or airbag issues (or any issue at for that matter). So I guess I'm hoping its just random bad luck. Appointment at the dealer in 3 days, but I love 3 hours away, so I'm worried they will need the car for more than 1-2 days and I'll be kind of screwed. Anyone have ideas or thoughts while we wait on the OP situation update?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #25
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
Quote:
Just wanted to update you guys. The dealer just called.

They knew I changed the shifter because the MP knob wasn't on my window sticker. No hiding that.

She tried telling me it wasn't covered under warranty because I installed it. I asked her why shop.bmwusa.com sells these parts and provides PDFs of installation instructions if the customer installing these components voids the warranty. She has no answer because it makes no sense. It was one screw and one cable.

I didn't want to argue with her, but so far it's $199 just to diagnose the car. I'm not happy.
Call BMW NA. They should be able to help hopefully.

They told you it's not covered because the legal terms only apply if you had a BMW dealership install it regardless if it's OEM or not. Keep this in mind for future upgrades😎

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #26
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteninjazx6r View Post
I'm curious as to the solution as well. My situation is a bit different but couple be related.

I replaced my steering wheel trim with the BMW M Performance CF trim, a couple weeks later, I get "Driver Restraint Malfunction" every time I start the car. Install went perfectly and I haven't done anything else to the car, no bumps, accidents, chance of water damage (other than standard washing the car I guess), or anything out of the ordinary driving that should cause seatbelt or airbag issues (or any issue at for that matter). So I guess I'm hoping its just random bad luck. Appointment at the dealer in 3 days, but I love 3 hours away, so I'm worried they will need the car for more than 1-2 days and I'll be kind of screwed. Anyone have ideas or thoughts while we wait on the OP situation update?
Did you wait the 15min for sleep mode and disconnect the neg battery cable before removing the air bag?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 12:46 PM   #27
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep

I definitely disconnected negative battery cable. I'm not 100% sure if I waited for sleep mode, as I figured the battery was disconnected so why would it need 15 mins? If I didn't, know of a solution? Any ideas are welcome...lol
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #28
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post
Did you wait the 15min for sleep mode and disconnect the neg battery cable before removing the air bag?
I definitely disconnected negative battery cable. I'm not 100% sure if I waited for sleep mode, as I figured the battery was disconnected so why would it need 15 mins? If I didn't, know of a solution? Any ideas are welcome...lol
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #29
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
You have to wait for all the power to drain from the modules before doing anything. The guy from BMW roadside explained this to me when we were troubleshooting my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #30
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You have to wait for all the power to drain from the modules before doing anything. The guy from BMW roadside explained this to me when we were troubleshooting my car.
Seems weird that everything would be perfect for 2-3 weeks and THEN throw the error...

Right?

Any way to fix, if that truly was the issue? Would pulling cable and waiting 15 mins, then repulling the airbag, and reverse, do anything ya think?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 12:57 PM   #31
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Seems weird that everything would be perfect for 2-3 weeks and THEN throw the error...

Right?

Any way to fix, if that truly was the issue? Would pulling cable and waiting 15 mins, then repulling the airbag, and reverse, do anything ya think?
Honestly, I'm not sure, and considering the predicament I got myself into, I'm probably the last person you should ask haha.

Maybe a code reset can fix it? Hopefully someone else comments and can help.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #32
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

My car is dead after switching to the M Performance CF Gear lever

Just got a call from the dealer, it's almost $1,100 to replace the whole panel. Apparently the ribbon cable is damaged. I told them go ahead and order the part. I'll pay and try to get reimbursed by BMW NA.

I'm calling BMW NA right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 12:59 PM   #33
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not sure, and considering the predicament I got myself into, I'm probably the last person you should ask haha.

Maybe a code reset can fix it? Hopefully someone else comments and can help.
Thought about hitting AutoZone and having them read the codes, but I'm not sure their readers can read all the BMW codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #34
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

damn 1.1k... all for a small ribbon cable? that sucks
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 01:17 PM   #35
GWIZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 230i M Sport, '22 330ix

15 min to sleep mode?

On my 330 it does indeed take 15 mins or so for the car to go dead after disconnecting the negative battery terminal. The trunk light and other electrical functions stay on until that point.

On my 230 the car goes dead immediately after disconnecting the negative battery terminal. All lights and related electrical functions are completely inopperable the moment the terminal is disconnected.

Unless there are unobservable forces at play, which may be the case, I don't see any indications the G42 230i requires 15 mins to go to sleep.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 01:29 PM   #36
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

I heard somewhere that the G42 has an auxiliary battery but I don't know if it's been proven
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 02:04 PM   #37
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
On my 330 it does indeed take 15 mins or so for the car to go dead after disconnecting the negative battery terminal. The trunk light and other electrical functions stay on until that point.

On my 230 the car goes dead immediately after disconnecting the negative battery terminal. All lights and related electrical functions are completely inopperable the moment the terminal is disconnected.

Unless there are unobservable forces at play, which may be the case, I don't see any indications the G42 230i requires 15 mins to go to sleep.
I can also confirm that the lights and everything go dead as soon as you disconnect the neg battery cable. I'm going to try and find the fuse panel maps and see if there are any fuses blown that may be causing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 02:44 PM   #38
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep

I am also getting a "Parking Assist Malfunction" everytime I back up and put it in park. I'm guessing I won't be able to figure out either issue and will be at BMWs mercy. Guess we'll see Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #39
markos79
Rep
Drives: BMW M240 G42

Quote:
Just got a call from the dealer, it's almost $1,100 to replace the whole panel.
My dealer needs to replace whole panel as well, but I'm pretty much sure that it's a factory problem with console or with M-Performance gear lever.

Gear lever in my car was replaced in unauthorised service and authorised service put this repair under warranty without any questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #40
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by markos79 View Post
My dealer needs to replace whole panel as well, but I'm pretty much sure that it's a factory problem with console or with M-Performance gear lever.

Gear lever in my car was replaced in unauthorised service and authorised service put this repair under warranty without any questions.
Sounds like you have a dealer looking out for ya, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 06:12 PM   #41
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markos79 View Post

Did the dealer state if it was the cable specifically?

We have 1 member Slingray who installed this with no issue.

Try to determine it was a powered down issue (not completely powered down), cable damage from installation or defective shift knobs.

We you also stranded when the fault occurred or could you still drive?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 06:34 PM   #42
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here is information about sleep and disconnecting the battery, 2 pdf attached, highlights

Note:
If the ignition is not switched off when the vehicle battery is disconnected, fault memories may be set in some control units.

Important!
Before disconnecting the negative lead, it must be ensured that the vehicle goes to sleep. Observe a waiting period of at least 2 minutes.
Appreciate 1
GWIZ61.00
      08-01-2022, 07:10 PM   #43
GWIZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 230i M Sport, '22 330ix

Quote:
Just got a call from the dealer, it's almost $1,100 to replace the whole panel. Apparently the ribbon cable is damaged. I told them go ahead and order the part. I'll pay and try to get reimbursed by BMW NA.

I'm calling BMW NA right now.
Ouch! That is a bummer. Appreciate the update.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 07:23 PM   #44
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post
Did the dealer state if it was the cable specifically?

We have 1 member Slingray who installed this with no issue.

Try to determine it was a powered down issue (not completely powered down), cable damage from installation or defective shift knobs.

We you also stranded when the fault occurred or could you still drive?
The tech said the ribbon cable was damaged, but in the video all he showed me were the tires and breaks, which I know are good the car has 382 miles on it. He said he recommended replacing the central control panel.

I was stranded in my driveway. They had to take the car to the dealer on a flatbed.
Appreciate 0