BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-03-2022, 12:17 PM   #67
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSuchSol View Post
I made the mistake on my F80 when replacement my steering wheel. I unhooked the battery, pumped the brakes to get power off then reinstalled. Hooked it back up then noticed I had loose paddle. Pulled it off again without unhooking the battery and *poof* error. I had it cleared at a local shop rather than wait three days for the dealership to work me in.
What was the error you got? Mine is "driver restraint malfunction".
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #68
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteninjazx6r View Post
What was the error you got? Mine is "driver restraint malfunction".
That or "driver restraint system" - I think it cost me 50.00 to clear the code and they did it immediately. BMW was slammed so it was a couple day wait and 200.00 =\
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:30 AM   #69
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

Appointment took 5 hours at BMW, but they found the Parking Assistance Malfunction was a one time error and cleared it. Issue resolved.

The Driver Restrain Malfunction was a failed seatbelt assembly. They ordered the part and will install Saturday to be picked up that evening. They rented me a car until then.

$0 cost to me in total. Guess it turned out okay, although having a seatbelt malfunction in under 2k miles is a bit disconcerting. I'll update if they aren't able to get the part and it turns into a bigger issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:32 AM   #70
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSuchSol View Post
That or "driver restraint system" - I think it cost me 50.00 to clear the code and they did it immediately. BMW was slammed so it was a couple day wait and 200.00 =\
At some point, you may wanna have BMW check out your seatbelt. Mine was actually failed.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 12:36 PM   #71
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Update:

Just got a call from BMW NA.

Basically no answers, nothing. She said they couldn't cover it because I installed it myself. No where on the website is there any info about warranties being void, tried to explain this to her that they were marketing parts as direct replacements for a car that they now are not showing as supported accessories. No response on that one.

Just a complete waste of time.

Again, if you're thinking about buying and installing that lever, don't do it. They will screw you when that center control unit breaks, and for 90% of you, it will break.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #72
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Quote:
Update:

Appointment took 5 hours at BMW, but they found the Parking Assistance Malfunction was a one time error and cleared it. Issue resolved.

The Driver Restrain Malfunction was a failed seatbelt assembly. They ordered the part and will install Saturday to be picked up that evening. They rented me a car until then.

$0 cost to me in total. Guess it turned out okay, although having a seatbelt malfunction in under 2k miles is a bit disconcerting. I'll update if they aren't able to get the part and it turns into a bigger issue.
I also got the Parking Assistance Malfunction after removing the air bag. Car left for 15min to sleep, then battery disconnected.

The error didn't come in (I had 1 start previously to check for errors) until I touched the parking asstiance button, it was instant. I cleared the code with BimmerLink
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 07:32 AM   #73
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
Update:

Basically no answers, nothing. She said they couldn't cover it because I installed it myself. No where on the website is there any info about warranties being void, tried to explain this to her that they were marketing parts as direct replacements for a car that they now are not showing as supported accessories. No response on that one.

Again, if you're thinking about buying and installing that lever, don't do it. They will screw you when that center control unit breaks, and for 90% of you, it will break.
Sorry to hear BMW is sticking you with the bill. Thanks for sharing, saved alot of us the $ and major inconvenience
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 12:06 PM   #74
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

Quote:
At some point, you may wanna have BMW check out your seatbelt. Mine was actually failed.
That car has gone the way of another owner. I have a G42 now with a little stop over in Audiville between. I told my wife don't let me buy Audi's anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 10:25 PM   #75
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Update:

I totally get that you're frustrated, but to say that replacing that lever WILL cause your panel to fail 90% of the time, is just plain false and abit dramatic. I personally know 4 people who did that lever themselves, all work perfectly. In fact, you and 1 other person on all the forums and groups I'm in have had this trouble. It's literally a matter of being very careful with the ribbon cable. It's easy to screw it up. So the warning should be "be careful if you decide to install it, or at least know the risk."

Also, as nice as it would be to have BMW cover this under warranty, ANY time you install parts yourself on any car, that particular thing may not be (and usually won't be) covered under warranty. This is 100% common.

Again, I understand you're not happy about all of it, and I'm sorry it all went sour. But sadly, this was all your own doing and not BMWs responsibility. I do wish you luck with future endeavors.
Appreciate 2
TJZ67201843.50
Drhoyle102.00
      08-06-2022, 11:43 PM   #76
azuki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i

hm this is a tricky one..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 11:46 PM   #77
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

How complicated is this ribbon cable to detach/re-attach?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 11:49 PM   #78
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
How complicated is this ribbon cable to detach/re-attach?
Flip up a black lever and it pops out on its own. When you reinstall, you place the ribbon cable into the slot and flip the lever down locking it in place.

It's that simple.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 12:47 AM   #79
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Flip up a black lever and it pops out on its own. When you reinstall, you place the ribbon cable into the slot and flip the lever down locking it in place.

It's that simple.
So you really can't mess this up. I wonder where the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 06:48 AM   #80
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
So you really can't mess this up. I wonder where the issue is.
No matter how simple it can always be messed up and that is what happened to the OP
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 06:50 AM   #81
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
I totally get that you're frustrated, but to say that replacing that lever WILL cause your panel to fail 90% of the time, is just plain false and abit dramatic. I personally know 4 people who did that lever themselves, all work perfectly. In fact, you and 1 other person on all the forums and groups I'm in have had this trouble. It's literally a matter of being very careful with the ribbon cable. It's easy to screw it up. So the warning should be "be careful if you decide to install it, or at least know the risk."

Also, as nice as it would be to have BMW cover this under warranty, ANY time you install parts yourself on any car, that particular thing may not be (and usually won't be) covered under warranty. This is 100% common.

Again, I understand you're not happy about all of it, and I'm sorry it all went sour. But sadly, this was all your own doing and not BMWs responsibility. I do wish you luck with future endeavors.
The situation sucks for the OP but I agree with this statement 100%

Let’s say you are replacing any OEM part on your own and you break something. BMW isn’t going to cover that under warranty just because you used an OEM part. You still broke something, while installing said part, and are on the hook for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 10:22 AM   #82
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
No matter how simple it can always be messed up and that is what happened to the OP
Yes, I understand that. What I am getting as is where is the underlying issue. If the dealer was installing it, what would they do differently? Is it the power down process that wasn't followed?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #83
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Yes, I understand that. What I am getting as is where is the underlying issue. If the dealer was installing it, what would they do differently? Is it the power down process that wasn't followed?
BMW no longer lists this lever as a supported accessory for G42 2-series cars.

Someone posted in this thread about their CA entering their VIN and being told the part was incompatible.

It's also no longer listed on shopbmwusa.com when you enter in 2022 M240i xDrive.

You also can no longer order this part as a port installed accessory.

So BMW is saying you can't use this, after saying you could and a bunch of people having issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #84
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Someone posted in this thread about their CA entering their VIN and being told the part was incompatible.
https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=54
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 03:05 PM   #85
drpie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240iX on 02/09/2022

Garage List
2022 M240iX  [0.00]
The problem is it's working in a tight space with the cable to be re-inserted in between the shift lever and the dashboard; the YouTube video showed it being done with the whole panel removed; I get a lot of us want to be the DIY'er but its just not worth messing around with these apparently very small and fragile ribbon connectors IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 05:45 PM   #86
harcos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 240i xdrive

I don't know your warranty and insurance systems in the USA but what whiteninjazx6r seems to say seems correct to me.

Buy a part, even certified, and install it yourself: it won't work here in Europe, if you touch the car yourself.
Whether car or any material.

I have big fears for those who have modified their exhaust system...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 06:23 PM   #87
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

It's also no longer listed on shopbmwusa.com when you enter in 2022 M240i xDrive.

So BMW is saying you can't use this, after saying you could and a bunch of people having issues.
We're beating a dead horse here, but this part was NEVER listed as a compatible part. If you went to a dealer and asked them to look up the M Perf shifter for your 2022 M240i, they'd tell you nothing showed up. It just so happens that the shifter for the g20 fits the G42. That's all. And regardless...this does NOT mean your part replacement you did on your own should be covered under warranty. Especially because the part isn't causing failures, the bad install is. Siiiiigh.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 06:35 PM   #88
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

We're beating a dead horse here, but this part was NEVER listed as a compatible part. If you went to a dealer and asked them to look up the M Perf shifter for your 2022 M240i, they'd tell you nothing showed up. It just so happens that the shifter for the g20 fits the G42. That's all. And regardless...this does NOT mean your part replacement you did on your own should be covered under warranty. Especially because the part isn't causing failures, the bad install is. Siiiiigh.
It was 100% available as a port installed accessory when I placed the order for the car 4/30.
Appreciate 0