Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G42M240 View Post
I actually put this as one of my gripes too. For one, sometimes it does not connect wirelessly. Also, it would be nice if my passenger could plug in and use apple carplay for navigating or music purposes without have to add the device wirelessly (i.e. if my wife wanted to connect).
Have some good news that might alleviate this in a month or so: iOS 17 includes new functionality where passengers can control the music from their own phones, by connecting to the CarPlay session of the drivers phone. Tried it out on the beta during a road trip and it’s pretty slick.
Appreciate 3
nype139.50
viperx100627.50
Nate48150.00
      08-20-2023, 11:43 AM   #90
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
The buttons. The easy tech. Amen.
I see that comment a lot. What buttons are you missing?

As far as I can see, it’s only some the climate control buttons that are “missing” - the ones that directed flow and fan speed. Personally, I never used them. Set to auto and leave alone.
Appreciate 2
nype139.50
      08-20-2023, 03:04 PM   #91
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I see that comment a lot. What buttons are you missing?

As far as I can see, it’s only some the climate control buttons that are “missing” - the ones that directed flow and fan speed. Personally, I never used them. Set to auto and leave alone.
Max AC

My heated seat touched button. All of them. Set and leave alone? You also pro voice activation too? When it works half the time?

Buttons and switches are cool. It will come around again.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 03:17 PM   #92
bobkat09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

Would like to have an oil temp gauge in place of the useless coolant temp gauge
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2023, 08:05 PM   #93
pantdino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3, 2024 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat09 View Post
Would like to have an oil temp gauge in place of the useless coolant temp gauge
You need both, really. But the coolant temp will tell you when it's about to boil over or warp the head / blow the headgasket,so that's probably imperative to have.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 01:20 AM   #94
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

How about the horrible tactile feel of the buttons around the iDrive knob. Just noticed this today. Maybe something wrong with mine. Feels like buttons on a child’s toy.
Appreciate 1
AWcoupe165.50
      08-21-2023, 08:23 AM   #95
bobkat09
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post
You need both, really. But the coolant temp will tell you when it's about to boil over or warp the head / blow the headgasket,so that's probably imperative to have.
The coolant temp function could be served just as well with a warning light

Having a proper oil temp gauge, that’s easily readable, is a much better indicator of the operating temperature of the engine
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 11:04 PM   #96
hpaco
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

I don’t like the 220i msport looks almost the same from outside (only the exhaust and the mirrors are different).
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 12:25 PM   #97
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpaco View Post
I don’t like the 220i msport looks almost the same from outside (only the exhaust and the mirrors are different).
Isn’t the bonnet different too?

220/230 also look much smaller in my mirrors
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:20 AM   #98
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Remember, if you jump in the car and forget you left your key in the house and think, "I'll just use my phone as the key for this short errand." and take off and go into cardiac arrest when you change lanes w/o a blinker, the reason is your saved profile settings are likely only on your key and not your phone. When you're used to driving for a year w/o the intervention, and then it suddenly intervenes, it's eye opening!
I have linked my phone key to my main account as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayritchie View Post
With ID8, when you start the car and begin your trip, the little picture of the car showing which passengers are wearing their seatbelts covers up the selected drive mode so you don’t know which drive mode you’re in.

Also, ID8 is great and the quality of the display is 10/10, but they’re SO bright at night. Yes there is a rotary dial to dim all screens, HUD and interior buttons, but I don’t want to dim the buttons. I can adjust the main screen “brightness at night”, but there is no way to dim the instrument cluster at night independently too.
both of these but my biggest gripe is the independant cluster screen dimming you either get blinded by the screen or you cant see any buttons
bobkat09151.50
      08-23-2023, 08:47 AM   #99
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
With ID8, when you start the car and begin your trip, the little picture of the car showing which passengers are wearing their seatbelts covers up the selected drive mode so you don’t know which drive mode you’re in.

Also, ID8 is great and the quality of the display is 10/10, but they’re SO bright at night. Yes there is a rotary dial to dim all screens, HUD and interior buttons, but I don’t want to dim the buttons. I can adjust the main screen “brightness at night”, but there is no way to dim the instrument cluster at night independently too.
Unless you’ve coded the car, it will always start in comfort.
Otherwise, the colour of the dials indicates which mode you are in.

If memory serves, the rotary dial only dims buttons. I’ve not found a way to dim the id8 screen.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:53 AM   #100
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

Quote:
Otherwise, the colour of the dials indicates which mode you are in.

not between sport - sport plus - sport indvidual though

some times i double tap the button twice and not sure what its in
      08-23-2023, 07:31 PM   #101
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannockwolf View Post
not between sport - sport plus - sport indvidual though

some times i double tap the button twice and not sure what its in
This! I usually have to guess which mode I'm in based on steering and suspension feeling.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 07:34 PM   #102
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
If memory serves, the rotary dial only dims buttons. I’ve not found a way to dim the id8 screen.
Rotary dial dims everything except for ambient lighting.
Instrument cluster, infotainment display, HUD and all orange interior buttons.

Theres also no 'HUD brightness at night'. I don't like being able to see the black LCD background of the HUD at night so I use the rotary dial to reduce brightness till the black blends in with outside.

I basically have OCD.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:06 PM   #103
PBANDJ
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

I don’t like that CarPlay is wireless only. I would MUCH prefer to have the wired variant. More reliable in general and less susceptible to interference. Also, that slight delay when changing tracks on the wireless version is annoying. The wired version in my GTI had zero perceptible delay.
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      08-24-2023, 01:51 AM   #104
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Rotary dial dims everything except for ambient lighting.
Instrument cluster, infotainment display, HUD and all orange interior buttons.

Theres also no 'HUD brightness at night'. I don't like being able to see the black LCD background of the HUD at night so I use the rotary dial to reduce brightness till the black blends in with outside.

I basically have OCD.
Just checked physically and in the manual. The rotary dial, by the auto lights switch, only dims the orange interior buttons.
The ambient lighting (user manual P167), night time HUD (user manual P143) and night time control brightness (user manual P53) are controlled by digital sliders in the idrive.
Although I have my night time control display set to minimum, I feel it’s still too bright at night.
May be this is a regional difference? I’m also on idrive 8
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 01:56 AM   #105
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just checked. The rotary dial, by the auto lights switch, only dims the orange interior buttons.
The ambient lighting, night time HUD and night time control brightness are controlled by digital sliders in the idrive.
Although I have my night time control display set to minimum, I feel it’s still too bright at night.
May be this is a regional difference? I’m also on idrive 8
Strange! By control display are you referring to the infotainment or instrument cluster display?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 02:00 AM   #106
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Strange! By control display are you referring to the infotainment or instrument cluster display?
The one right in front of the driver. I’m not sure you can do anything with the other one or if it’s the same problem as the cluster display. I.e. already at minimum nighttime brightness.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 10:24 AM   #107
bmwloverm2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i 2022

It's been 14 months with my M240i , which means almost 2 full summers, the things i dislike about my car are:

1) CANNOT CONFIGURE THE EXTRA: VENTILATED SEATS

Living in a hot + humidity weather country, by far my biggest complaint is that there were no ventilated seats in the 2-series, if you want them in a 2-door car, you need to go to the the 4-series which i don't like.

The vernasca leather and hot makes me sweat A LOT for long distances or even short distances in hot days. And i am not a person who sweats a lot.

Indeed I would pay nice money to the impossible task of retroffiting ventilated seats i don't think its even possible due to codings and all that stuff.

2) NO M1,M2 BUTTONS

(backgroudn history) I drive 50% of time in highways in relaxed mode so many times i go in eco mode. 30% in comfort (city). 20% spirited drives on weekends etc.

Driving 50% of my time in eco, sometimes i have someone doing some stupidity near me which wants me to move to sport+ for some reason. In those very moments i really hate to look at buttons to change it to sport, because simply without looking at it i click on comfort or adaptive or whatever, so i simply look at it, at those moments i want my eyes in the stupid driver i want to burn.

I've driven some M cars and having the M1 M2 buttons can be very handy for memorizing settings. I miss those buttons a lot. I don't need an M car, im more than happy with 374hp, but damn, those M1 M2 buttons in the steering wheel would make the difference those moments.

Note 1: Yes, i know i can long-press the left paddle to move to go to lowest shift but it takes too long for my taste

Note 2: I'm very aware of the kits (via aliexpress or via 'infinite autowerks') that retrofit the M1,M2 buttons with the only logic of moving from eco->comfort->sport and that's all. I'm pondering them but after having read a lot, i dislike that double quick press does not always move from eco to sport+, you need to press once, then a second time.

3) Not liking: High beam lights

I basically purchased all the possible extras that were available in the 2022 build for my car, and definitely the one i don't at all is the "auto high beam lights".

Why? Because it tends to be super-bright to some signals that will hurt my eyes during night. For long distance signals it's ok, but when it points to some signals that are quite close, they reflect too much

4) Turn signals are not shown in the HUD for iphone users except BMW maps or Apple maps

I know this is probably something that apple has more to say than bmw, but in the end, its a thing i don't like

If i want to see the turn by turn signals and the images of lanes etc, i have to use the BMW maps. Also some text is shown for apple maps but not the graphics.

This is a well known stuff for other 3-series and other...not something happening in the G42.

By the way i never use BMW maps, they suck in comparison to waze or google maps regarding real time accidents, etc. Plus the graphics are like from 90s.

Last edited by bmwloverm2; 08-26-2023 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 01:12 PM   #108
HardBoiled
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i (E92 M3 sold)

Interesting to see the field of complaints. Seems a lot of little quirks. For me complaints are:
1: numb steering and inert steering response. This improved a lot after I got rid of the stupid toe in bmw thought was a good idea
2: brake pedal feel. Weird overly sensitive when applying low pressure then not sensitive enough with high pressure. Though improving a bit with time ?pad wear
3: strong understeer at the limit.
4: springs quite soft, compression damping too firm. Making a busy ride that doesn’t improve handling at all. Considering ohlins r/t, would help me tune out some understeer too
5: engine noise and vibration too insulated
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2023, 02:02 PM   #109
bobkat09
Private First Class
Rep

Another feature I would like to have is the blind spot alert to be shown in the HUD
Appreciate 1
viperx100627.50
      09-01-2023, 03:46 PM   #110
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

only thing i truly hate is the piano black side skirts. every time i wash it (every 3-6 weeks) there seems to be a new scratch, each one bigger than the last. was able to cover about 50% of the interior piano black with carbon fiber
Appreciate 1
viperx100627.50