viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
only thing i truly hate is the piano black side skirts. every time i wash it (every 3-6 weeks) there seems to be a new scratch, each one bigger than the last. was able to cover about 50% of the interior piano black with carbon fiber
I had mine PPF coated and it helps a lot. Still don't like the look of shiny black. Looks fine only on the black G42 (personal bias, obvi)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 04:12 PM   #112
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBoiled View Post
Interesting to see the field of complaints. Seems a lot of little quirks. For me complaints are:
1: numb steering and inert steering response. This improved a lot after I got rid of the stupid toe in bmw thought was a good idea
2: brake pedal feel. Weird overly sensitive when applying low pressure then not sensitive enough with high pressure. Though improving a bit with time ?pad wear
3: strong understeer at the limit.
4: springs quite soft, compression damping too firm. Making a busy ride that doesn’t improve handling at all. Considering ohlins r/t, would help me tune out some understeer too
5: engine noise and vibration too insulated
I agree, many are pretty minor, you have hit on the biggies i have noticed, with the exception of NVH. I prefer to have vibrations muted perhaps because i had a car that had bad vibrations that i spent a considerable sum (and time) trying to eliminate with no luck (tires/wheels re balanced, then new tires, driveshaft change, engine/tranny mounts changed, driveline angles reset, rear gears replaced etc). Now I appreciate muted Noise/vibration/harshness (NVH) damping after that experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 02:18 PM   #113
HardBoiled
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i (E92 M3 sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
I agree, many are pretty minor, you have hit on the biggies i have noticed, with the exception of NVH. I prefer to have vibrations muted perhaps because i had a car that had bad vibrations that i spent a considerable sum (and time) trying to eliminate with no luck (tires/wheels re balanced, then new tires, driveshaft change, engine/tranny mounts changed, driveline angles reset, rear gears replaced etc). Now I appreciate muted Noise/vibration/harshness (NVH) damping after that experience.
Yeah fair take. There’s a hard balance for an M performance car to strike. I think that’s why they tuned the dampers the way they did for a busy ride to feel “sporty” when a lot of the other road feedback had been muted. Personally I think they should’ve made the ride as smooth as possible, and I’m glad they got rid a lot of road NVH, but they should’ve introduced a bit of engine NVH imo. Their solution was of course the fake noise via speakers (nice that can be turned on and off at will) but doesn’t have the right timbre of true mechanical noises—isn’t too pleasing
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 03:41 PM   #114
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

All the plastic buttons in front of center console. Really cheap feeling and unsatisfying to operate. To make matters worse the buttons are all one giant piece of plastic so you have to press precisely on the spot or you'll miss. Really disappointing considering the cost of this car.
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      09-02-2023, 03:46 PM   #115
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
All the plastic buttons in front of center console. Really cheap feeling and unsatisfying to operate. To make matters worse the buttons are all one giant piece of plastic so you have to press precisely on the spot or you'll miss. Really disappointing considering the cost of this car.
I agree. There’s nothing like the tactile feel of the Audi buttons/switches. Perfection. Ours? …..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 04:06 PM   #116
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Only 2 minor gripes for me….

1. Front seats move at a glacial pace when flipping them forward (and back) when accessing the rear seats.

2. I have the default iDrive display set to map. On starting the car it often reverts to having the side menus for navigation displayed rather than the full map screen - anyone else seen this?
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2023, 09:10 AM   #117
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
2. I have the default iDrive display set to map. On starting the car it often reverts to having the side menus for navigation displayed rather than the full map screen - anyone else seen this?
They pop up with any interatction with buttons or screen but they should dissapear after 2-3 secs as mine does
      09-03-2023, 10:20 AM   #118
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannockwolf View Post
They pop up with any interatction with buttons or screen but they should dissapear after 2-3 secs as mine does
Sometimes mine don’t. They stay displayed until you press map again. They then disappear a few seconds later as you say.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2023, 10:04 AM   #119
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
I would say the lack of steering feedback. And sometimes radio stations stop scrolling.
Also lack of brake feedback. The brakes seem up for the task. I have the ZTK package. But, there’s no feel when you apply pressure to the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 06:40 PM   #120
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240

Quote:
Also lack of brake feedback. The brakes seem up for the task. I have the ZTK package. But, there’s no feel when you apply pressure to the pedal.
Braided lines and better pads definitely help with the squiggy feel.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 06:55 PM   #121
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I don't like the fact that I have not received it yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2023, 07:29 PM   #122
kwikit356
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240ix 16 Porsche Spyder

Toe-in and Understeer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBoiled View Post
Interesting to see the field of complaints. Seems a lot of little quirks. For me complaints are:
1: numb steering and inert steering response. This improved a lot after I got rid of the stupid toe in bmw thought was a good idea
2: brake pedal feel. Weird overly sensitive when applying low pressure then not sensitive enough with high pressure. Though improving a bit with time ?pad wear
3: strong understeer at the limit.
4: springs quite soft, compression damping too firm. Making a busy ride that doesn’t improve handling at all. Considering ohlins r/t, would help me tune out some understeer too
5: engine noise and vibration too insulated
Questions: 1. How far out did you adjust the front toe? 2. Did changing the front toe help with understeer?
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2023, 03:52 AM   #123
LoveSickRemix
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Just got my 2023 G42, and haven't had it yet for even a month but have a lot that I love about it. Previous car was a 2inch lowered 135i.

1.) Steering feel, its "okay", would even say "good", but I can't help but compare it to Tesla, vs older bimmer

2.) Springs are pretty ...soft. But this could just be me. I wanted a bit more harder feel in Sport Plus, but didn't get that.

3.) Music/Climate saves previous condition. So when I get into the car it automatically blows me away with loud music (from previous drive) and cold air. I work night shift so going into work is hot, and getting of work is cold. I know I can probably do pre-heat/cooling in the app, but I forget.

BONUS

4.) This is just mine, but i bought it used, and It's missing the upgraded ambient lights and front radar which means i'm missing a lot of camera functions and have a blank button near my gear shifter. I couldn't find a used one for a cheaper price with low miles yet. Also if your name is Matt from florida and had an alpine white M240i I have your car
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 09:41 AM   #124
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Although I have a few of the same small complaints as others here, my biggest turn-off on the car is the fact it's not as noise-free as I had hoped on a car that's only 3 months old, and at its price point. Worst offender is a come-and-go rattle from the dash area that seems to just start randomly and keep going whether there are bumps or no bumps, and then it randomly stops. Not the center speaker cover, already did the fix on that. Not the drink holder area lid.

Savagegeese (YouTube) has a long-term Mazda 3 that they claimed had rattles from new that fixed themselves over time as if by magic. If only I can be so fortunate.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 09:47 AM   #125
TheGeekGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Ahem, brother. I had a MINI GP3 prior to my M240i and the brake feel was spot on - as in brush the pedal and instant grab. Yes, I know that brake feel is subjective with everyone but I don't have the same level of confidence with there M240i brakes as I did with all my MINIs.

Next mod will be the brakes.

Gone but not forgotten:
2021 MINI JCW GP • 2016 MINI JCW • 2012 MINI Couper S • 2010 MINI Cooper S Camden Edition
Appreciate 0