01-06-2024, 07:14 PM   #45
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmoretea View Post
Ouch that fuel cap is awful and very noticeable.
Any pictures of what you mean by the watch guards
https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1984357
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 10:10 AM   #46
jpf340
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

After 13 months of ownership, I’ve enjoyed the car immensely, and the “cons” list for me is fairly small and mostly trivial:

- No ventilated seats as an option. In the summer, this is nice to have, but not missing this during the current winter season.

- Ocassional rattles/creaks. It took a few months to notice, but occasionally on a rough road, I hear something vibrating in the driver side dash area. It’s very infrequent so haven’t been able to isolate.

Rarely, I’ll hear some creaking above/behind my head in the headliner/roof if I am taking a speed bump slowly.

Finally, there is some sporadic resonance that sounds like’s it’s coming from the passenger side in the rear parcel shelf. Seems most likely to occur if accelerating on a road with a moderate incline, but isn’t always repeatable.

I may try to further troubleshoot the above noises, but also wonder if some might go away on their own once the car continues to settle in. If I get to 20K + miles, I’ll probably start taking them more seriously, but they’re relatively infrequent as of now.
Appreciate 2
THDRNIGHT101.00
PP3121357.50
      01-07-2024, 05:40 PM   #47
THDRNIGHT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
Just don’t look too closely at the seam between the separate wheel arch trim pieces lol

Wonder if this is adjustable
Yikes, I would send that in for warranty, mine seems fine.
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      01-08-2024, 12:00 AM   #48
BabyM240i
Cruising the Green Hell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA View Post
Overall very pleased, but my dislikes ...

Weight/Length - I drove a 230i XDrive as a loaner recently and even though it’s only listed as 227lb lighter than my M240i XDrive, it surprisingly felt substantially lighter. And in general wish the car was 6-8 inches shorter, but with it being based on the same platform as the 3/4 Series probably couldn't get much shorter.

Long, heavy doors - The unframed windows contributing to the heavy, but less than solid feeling.

OEM Navigation cannot be set to stay in night/dark mode all the time … like my 2013 MINI could.

Climate Controls - Being touchscreen only except the front/rear defogger buttons.

Wireless Charging Tray - Cannot be turned off/on via iDrive like my (now departed) 2023 X1 could do ... so you can store the phone there when you don't want/need the charging/cooking. Also the charger is not ventilated, like my 2023 X1 also had.

Key Fob - Can only assign one key to your BMW ID.

Ambient Lighting – Besides Emerald Green, mostly poor color options. How many white/off white options does someone need while not having purple or a true red? And the Ambient Lighting in general is very weak (even at highest brightness) compared to my 2023 X1, which was strong/sharp day or night.

[LIST][*]Gloss Black - Anything gloss black really. But specifically the large gloss black section over the center vents and glove box, that I have now replaced with the OEM “M [...]

Place your phone on the charging tray face down…
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 06:41 AM   #49
Aramis1919
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
UK or US? Non ZTK US cars are limited to 130mph.
European cars.

All done by the high 140 MPH.

Same applies to late model M340i
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 09:49 AM   #50
Jolman
Rep
Drives: 240 xdrive

Start/stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxrly View Post
For my 2023 with xDrive:

The main dislike is the weight, this car weighs as much as a F32 440i xDrive. S

No lane-centering driving available (opposed to just lane-keeping warning/input), both my F150 and GTI have these and work flawlessly.

Haven't found the way to permanently disable start/stop.

The runflats are terrible, replacing the tires is the one upgrade I'm most looking forward to do.
Start/stop is disabled in sport or sport+. The loud burbles from my Dinan exhaust make me laugh like a little kid.
The car is too quiet even with an aftermarket catted downpipe.

Noise coming from the rear suspension, already a thread going on it.

I wish I could have option it without a sunroof.

Wish it had: an oil dipstick, e-brake handle, shifter knob like on the 2022 car.

Otherwise there's a lot to like about the car. I understand where the heft comes from, BMW listening to their owners, making the car more refined and adding a bunch of noise insulation. The problem is that the 2-series is supposed to be the fun one, and adding weight is a sure wait to kill that fun factor. Even the M2 got really heavy, those days of pointing at Mustang owners and laughing at their heavy 3800+ lbs cars are gone.
Start/stop is disabled in sport or sport+. The burbles from my Dinan exhaust make me laugh like a little kid.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 09:52 AM   #51
Jolman
Rep
Drives: 240 xdrive

Quote:
BMW have had temperature in degrees for decades now - and it’s not a unique feature to BMW.
I like it - currently sitting at 21.5c and in summer I’m usually at 17.5c.

I thought I’d be fussed about virtual buttons but climate control is usually set and forget for me.

I do miss the fresh air mix dial that previous models had though.

Again, been a feature of BMWs and other marques for years. I guess it may originally have been a “security feature” but now it’s hand not to wake the car up and start the radio etc when you just want to chuck stuff in the boot.

Ambient lighting is another feature while fun, is usually set to one colour. Just wish the has the BMW sport orange.

May be because it’s as big as an F32!

I honestly think, if they didn’t publish the weight no one would really care. It’s still what? 220bhp per tonne? It’s not as I’ve you have to physically push it.

I don’t understand the need for that feature if you can drive.

People get very hung up on this.

Yup. Glad I got the ZTK option.

And the sport seats

Very rare I use the handbrake so happy with it. Thought I’d miss the longer gearstick but I only use it to select forward and back so not missed.

If you flip your phone over, does it still charge?

You can select a different profile in the idrive but the idea is each driver has their own BMW id and key They are also trying to promote virtual keys.

PPFd mine. Stops fingerprints too!

The two come in hand in hand. I find the voice control very good but it’s very slow. They should up date the two joke it can tell too

I guess I should add my gripes to the thread…

Front seats are glacially slow in moving when accessing the rear seats.

The idrive sometimes defaults to the nav screen from the map screen on start up. The side menu options don’t always disappear.
I’ve also noticed the radio sometimes reverts to all stations rather than maintaining saved stations as the prime selection.

Idrive display is too bright at night.

HUD should sit a little lower on the windscreen

No internal boot release button or foot slip opening option.

Standard M badges in front seats are tacky. I’ve replaced with the illuminated M badges
Seat backs are plastic tat. I’ve replaced mine with alcantera / carbon seat backs.
Standard floor mats are cheap rubbish.
HUD height is adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 10:41 AM   #52
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolman View Post
HUD height is adjustable.
I’m aware of that. But lower limit is not low enough and you loose the hud.
Appreciate 1
ms6.00
      01-08-2024, 10:54 AM   #53
Antique-ace
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
For my 2023 with xDrive:
Haven't found the way to permanently disable start/stop.
Noise coming from the rear suspension.
Agree with both above.

Quote:
For my 2023 with xDrive:
Wish it had: an oil dipstick, e-brake handle, shifter knob like on the 2022 car.
No oil dipstick or e-brake handle to be found on my US 2022 car either.

SOLD: 2011 550i xDrive, 1995 M3 Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 12:12 PM   #54
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

For me, my #1 gripe with the car is the extraneous noises. As of now, the majority come from the dash area, which I believe is plastic expansion/contraction with temperature, and I hope it will go away with time. Another noise from either the passenger B pillar, and/or the rear parcel shelf, not sure which, or if both. Quite honestly, I expected better and I regret purchasing this car because of it. It's far too expensive to have it be as noisy as it is. My wife's CX-30 is tremendously better, and her mother's Hyundai Kona (which looks like a plastic fantastic shit box) is also quiet. Both cars cost half what mine did, but seem better for noise isolation. My F22 had a solid 2 years of tranquility before the A pillar noise started to drive me nuts. I noticed noise in mine 2 months in.

Other than the noises,(which I will just have to live with, or have the dealer address in spring) the car drives really great as a GT. I wish the exhaust was louder. I don't love the auto start-stop. I would have preferred the shifter and not the nub. The HK stereo is adequate, but not great.

If not for noises, I would have very little to complain about with this car. I do think it fills a void that no other manufacturer fills at this time. AWD, sporty (GT), 2 door, relatively small. Little else is a true direct competitor anymore.

We will see at lease-end how I feel about the car. If I can at that point tolerate it (then being 4 years old), I may buy it out. Otherwise, I'm honestly done with purchasing brand new cars. Great off the lot, and I always end up hating them before the term is done. May as well buy something already flawed, in cash, and just live with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 01:36 PM   #55
Haneef
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
For me, my #1 gripe with the car is the extraneous noises. As of now, the majority come from the dash area, which I believe is plastic expansion/contraction with temperature, and I hope it will go away with time. Another noise from either the passenger B pillar, and/or the rear parcel shelf, not sure which, or if both. Quite honestly, I expected better and I regret purchasing this car because of it. It's far too expensive to have it be as noisy as it is. My wife's CX-30 is tremendously better, and her mother's Hyundai Kona (which looks like a plastic fantastic shit box) is also quiet. Both cars cost half what mine did, but seem better for noise isolation. My F22 had a solid 2 years of tranquility before the A pillar noise started to drive me nuts. I noticed noise in mine 2 months in.

Other than the noises,(which I will just have to live with, or have the dealer address in spring) the car drives really great as a GT. I wish the exhaust was louder. I don't love the auto start-stop. I would have preferred the shifter and not the nub. The HK stereo is adequate, but not great.

If not for noises, I would have very little to complain about with this car. I do think it fills a void that no other manufacturer fills at this time. AWD, sporty (GT), 2 door, relatively small. Little else is a true direct competitor anymore.

We will see at lease-end how I feel about the car. If I can at that point tolerate it (then being 4 years old), I may buy it out. Otherwise, I'm honestly done with purchasing brand new cars. Great off the lot, and I always end up hating them before the term [...]
You’re not the only one with the sound. Most people don’t realize it until they hear it once. Lol. But I’ve accepted it and now it doesn’t bother me anymore. Just reminds me of the sound. But I laugh when I get on the highway. All forgotten.
Appreciate 1
MPR1815.50
      01-10-2024, 02:09 PM   #56
grooveK
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 530i, G42 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haneef View Post
You’re not the only one with the sound. Most people don’t realize it until they hear it once. Lol. But I’ve accepted it and now it doesn’t bother me anymore. Just reminds me of the sound. But I laugh when I get on the highway. All forgotten.
because of this forum, i think i spend half my time unable to enjoy the car because im just looking for that sound lots of other owners are hearing. lol. im grateful i dont have this issue with odd sounds (i think).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 02:11 PM   #57
Haneef
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveK View Post
because of this forum, i think i spend half my time unable to enjoy the car because im just looking for that sound lots of other owners are hearing. lol. im grateful i dont have this issue with odd sounds (i think).
Congrats to you. Haha. How many miles in? You live in MA?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 12:00 AM   #58
grooveK
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 530i, G42 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haneef View Post
Congrats to you. Haha. How many miles in? You live in MA?
haha. i consider myself fortunate. i am in nyc suburbs. just under 2k, picked it up in mid october.
Appreciate 1
Haneef12.00
      01-11-2024, 08:50 AM   #59
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

The groaning noise my car makes when I first pull out of my parking space;

The “whirring” noise from the steering wheel. Usually less apparent after the car warms up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:07 AM   #60
ThunderM240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveK View Post
im grateful i dont have this issue with odd sounds (i think).
Me either … then again, I drive with the HK cranked way up, sit back, and enjoy the ride 😁
2003 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 08:31 PM   #61
Gravityct
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

My main gripes are.
Top speed is limited.. (I know why, but WHY)
No dipstick,
Could have had a more aggressive exhaust rather than putting money into stupid stereo exhaust enhancements.
It looks small but is quite big
Doesnt feel as nimble as it should be probably due to it being nearly 2 tons
Nearly 2 tons
Non electric steering adjustment (not really that bad)
Lack of gauges in sport mode
Steering is disconnected
Lack of splash guards
Factory stance (a bit subdued)
Headlights like most manufacturers are too low for back country roads would like to see a driving scenarios selections city/country etc.
Piano black plastic (very delicate)
Run flat 225 tire option in a vehicle with nearly 400hp
Idrive8 voice assistant lack of voice options and I want more sass out of it.

Other than that I love the car. One of the better cars I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 04:52 AM   #62
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravityct View Post
My main gripes are.
No dipstick,
Could have had a more aggressive exhaust rather than putting money into stupid stereo exhaust enhancements.
Nearly 2 tons
Steering is disconnected
Lack of splash guards
Headlights like most manufacturers are too low for back country roads would like to see a driving scenarios selections city/country etc.

Sounds like you bought the wrong car.

Limited speed, I assume you mean the 130mph limit (due to the run flats), run flats, piano black interior and splash backs are all solved by the owner choosing the right options.

I’d also wager if you didn’t over estimate numbers by nearly 20% the weight concern would be negligible.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 07:39 AM   #63
Gravityct
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you bought the wrong car.

Limited speed, I assume you mean the 130mph limit (due to the run flats), run flats, piano black interior and splash backs are all solved by the owner choosing the right options.

I’d also wager if you didn’t over estimate numbers by nearly 20% the weight concern would be negligible.
Im refering to the car in general not necessarily my purchase. Yes you can purchase additional options, top speed limiter of 130 or 155 is still an irritating thought. (Manufacturer assuming I'll never change equipment or want to explore the vehicle as an enthusiast which is essentially who this car is for). I dont mind piano black but they need to coat it or use different materials as it instantly scratches. The splash guards should come standard as the road debris will abraide the trim.

Also not sure what you mean by over estimating 20%?
Only numbers I referenced were hp (underrated 382) and curb weight (3871 without driver) I'd say using nearly is fairly accurate and not an overestimate.

Last edited by Gravityct; 01-13-2024 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 08:54 AM   #64
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Quote:
Im refering to the car in general not necessarily my purchase. Yes you can purchase additional options, top speed limiter of 130 or 155 is still an irritating thought. (Manufacturer assuming I'll never change equipment or want to explore the vehicle as an enthusiast which is essentially who this car is for). I dont mind piano black but they need to coat it or use different materials as it instantly scratches. The splash guards should come standard as the road debris will abraide the trim.

Also not sure what you mean by over estimating 20%?
Only numbers I referenced were hp (underrated 382) and curb weight (3871 without driver) I'd say using nearly is fairly accurate and not an overestimate.
I mean if you have the 155mph it’s hard to reach because on public road obv not possible, and most tracks don’t have long enough straights to reach 155mph anyways.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2024, 08:55 AM   #65
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Quote:
My main gripes are.
No dipstick,
Nearly 2 tons
Steering is disconnected
Lack of splash guards

There are gauges, if you mean the one that shows torque hp oil temp and the pressure. If you’re talking about other gauges then I have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:19 AM   #66
Gravityct
Enlisted Member
Rep

Specifically more tuning focused gauges and ability to customize them. I'm not hating on the car, it's great. I can make dislike lists longer than that on every car
Appreciate 0