United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaidapos View Post
Fresh bath and wheels!
What wheels are these? Specs?

Thanks!
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 12:20 PM   #1102
ttaidapos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV, M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
What wheels are these? Specs?

Thanks!
BMW 1000M copies in 19/20.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 01:57 PM   #1103
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaidapos View Post
BMW 1000M copies in 19/20.
Yep, figured they were copies. Was wondering the brand but then saw your post in the wheels forum - the Forzas, if anyone else was wondering.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 06:36 PM   #1104
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Golden hour
Attached Images

GuyOh1067.00
xtougher592.00
kanpan18.00
      04-27-2024, 06:52 PM   #1105
Gdubb
Rep
Drives: BMW m2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.50]
Late night pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
LAGWAGN281.00
///M TOWN20167.00
      04-27-2024, 09:55 PM   #1106
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

BNWCCA Cars & Coffee
Attached Images

Last edited by M2PDX; 04-27-2024 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 6
GuyOh1067.00
atl_1M1520.00
owney0.00
///M TOWN20167.00
      04-28-2024, 12:38 AM   #1107
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
BNWCCA Cars & Coffee
What color is the wrap on the right... ?

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 07:12 AM   #1108
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

What’s on the dash, lol
      04-28-2024, 06:38 PM   #1109
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
What color is the wrap on the right... ?

Not a wrap. ClarityCoat.

It's BMW Calypso.

https://claritycoat.com/
Attached Images

Last edited by M2PDX; 04-28-2024 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 01:28 AM   #1110
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Not a wrap. ClarityCoat.

It's BMW Calypso.

https://claritycoat.com/
Cool product there man. I'm sure it costs a touch more than PPF does. Is that correct... ?
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:45 AM   #1111
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

I am seeing more of this Clarity Coat stuff.

What's the removal process like? For something that is supposed to be temporary, it doesn't seem like it would be trivial to remove / clean up completely.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:48 AM   #1112
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Cool product there man. I'm sure it costs a touch more than PPF does. Is that correct... ?
Less. Full PPFs are $5,000 or more.

I paid $3,800. And if I don't like it after a few year's, I peel it off and have a brand new paint job underneath.

Here is my former F87 turned from Saffire Black to San Marino Blue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
M2siast5946.00
JustChris17545.50
      04-29-2024, 10:43 AM   #1113
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
TRE CS spoiler added

https://youtu.be/__8zS92kpHo?si=k6bCvk6nVydyx_jL

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN20167.00
      04-29-2024, 10:57 AM   #1114
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
I am seeing more of this Clarity Coat stuff.

What's the removal process like? For something that is supposed to be temporary, it doesn't seem like it would be trivial to remove / clean up completely.
Nothing new, it's Autoflex. Basically a glorified plastidip and it has been around for a long time. It has become much less popular over the years because you need to be an expert painter with a full paint booth to do a decent application. Tons of labor for a mediocre product. 9/10 installers will not remove panels like needed, and just spray everything on the car. Also a nightmare with overspray and you'll be finding it for years to come.

I had a car done with it. Removal is a pain in the ass because you'll never get rid of the overspray between panels. Certain spots youll find with not enough coats and it won't peel in full pieces.

No offense to the owner but vinyl/PPF will always be a better alternative. $4k for plastidip is crazy to me. From the first red pic looks like it has a lot of orange peel in the door/fenders too.

Last edited by rcouchh; 04-29-2024 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 3
      04-29-2024, 07:07 PM   #1115
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouchh View Post
Nothing new, it's Autoflex. Basically a glorified plastidip and it has been around for a long time. It has become much less popular over the years because you need to be an expert painter with a full paint booth to do a decent application. Tons of labor for a mediocre product. 9/10 installers will not remove panels like needed, and just spray everything on the car. Also a nightmare with overspray and you'll be finding it for years to come.

I had a car done with it. Removal is a pain in the ass because you'll never get rid of the overspray between panels. Certain spots youll find with not enough coats and it won't peel in full pieces.

No offense to the owner but vinyl/PPF will always be a better alternative. $4k for plastidip is crazy to me. From the first red pic looks like it has a lot of orange peel in the door/fenders too.
Yeah, something tells me if this stuff was the cat's meow then you'd see far more installers around and far more cars with it on it. I'll stick to the wrap.
      04-29-2024, 07:15 PM   #1116
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouchh View Post

Not sure I understand all of your hostility.

Autoflex is one option that BMW owners can assess on their own.

To compare Autoflex to "plastidip" is like comparing a rattle can of Rustoleum to BMW individual paint. They are NOT the same thing.

You are correct that Autoflex requires a high quality installer with a high quality paint gun and booth. That's because it is a high quality product, and needs to be installed professionally. It's just like paint, and requires quality control to look its best. Maybe your installer was a rookie or didn't know what he was doing. If there was "overspray," that was a terrible mistake by the installer, not the fault of the product.
That's why it is important to make sure you find a high quality installer, just like we should all do if we're looking at a PPF or wrap installer

I've now had two BMWs Autoflexed, and have had more than a dozen friends do the same. The result is simply amazing. It looks and behaves just like normal paint - - except that it has the protective qualities of PPF and can be peeled off, leaving a brand new unblemished paint job underneath.

I had my San Marino Blue M2 at many car shows and dealerships next to factory original M6s and M3s in San Marino Blue, and you couldn't tell the difference. Dealer employees have seen it and thought I must have somehow gotten an "individual" BMW paint job.

Autoflex (the latest updated version is "Clarity Coat") is now on it's 4th update, and it keeps getting better and better.

Mine was just applied (all 6 coats over 3 days), and it is thick and rich (and yes, shows orange peel, just like the original and wonderful BMW paint jobs of old). After it sets (about three months) it'll be cut and buffed, and ceramic coated, and will be smooth as glass.

This is an option for those who want the best. Short of spending $12,000, this is the best way to change colors on a BMW and add the protective qualities of a PPF. It doesn't yellow or end up with edges coming apart after two or three years. Properly maintained, it looks brand new for 5-7 years (or more).

No one is forcing you to do it, but I'm thrilled that we have the option.

I didn't post the picture to be attacked. I posted it as a "Random" thing I've done to my car.

Last edited by M2PDX; 04-29-2024 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
M2siast5946.00
      04-29-2024, 08:53 PM   #1117
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Quote:

To compare Autoflex to "plastidip" is like comparing a rattle can of Rustoleum to BMW individual paint. They are NOT the same thing.

You are correct that Autoflex requires a high quality installer with a high quality paint gun and booth. That's because it is a high quality product, and needs to be installed professionally. It's just like paint, and requires quality control to look its best. Maybe your installer was a rookie or didn't know what he was doing. If there was "overspray," that was a terrible mistake by the installer, not the fault of the product.
That's why it is important to make sure you find a high quality installer, just like we should all do if we're looking at a PPF or wrap installer

I've now had two BMWs Autoflexed, and have had more than a dozen friends do the same. The result is simply amazing. It looks and behaves just like normal paint - - except that it has the protective qualities of PPF and can be peeled off, leaving a brand new unblemished paint job underneath.

I had my San Marino Blue M2 at many car shows and dealerships next to factory original M6s and M3s in San Marino Blue, and you couldn't tell the difference. Dealer employees have seen it and thought I must have somehow gotten an "individual" BMW paint job.

Autoflex (the latest updated version is "Clarity Coat") is now on it's 4th update, and it keeps getting better and better.

Mine was just applied (all 6 coats over 3 days), and it is thick [...]
I’m not going to attack anyone and to each their own but this product is a nightmare to remove.

A friend had this professionally sprayed onto a c63 and it looked like a maco repaint at best.

Before he traded the car in I help him attempt to remove this wannabe plastidip and it’s next to impossible. You end up needing a full paint correction from the remove abrasion. Not to mention the slight overspray on the rubber is there to stay.

The prep work involved before application strips the clear coat of all wax and sealers and make removal that much more difficult.

Even after professional paint correction you could tell the paint wasn’t perfect. I wouldn’t spray this on a lawnmower let a lot a bmw.

But if your happy that’s awesome!
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 09:27 PM   #1118
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
I’m not going to attack anyone and to each their own but this product is a nightmare to remove.

A friend had this professionally sprayed onto a c63 and it looked like a maco repaint at best.

Before he traded the car in I help him attempt to remove this wannabe plastidip and it’s next to impossible. You end up needing a full paint correction from the remove abrasion. Not to mention the slight overspray on the rubber is there to stay.

The prep work involved before application strips the clear coat of all wax and sealers and make removal that much more difficult.

Even after professional paint correction you could tell the paint wasn’t perfect. I wouldn’t spray this on a lawnmower let a lot a bmw.

But if your happy that’s awesome!
I've seen several removed. It's not a problem.

But hey, if that's your view, carry on.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:06 PM   #1119
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:

Mine was just applied (all 6 coats over 3 days), and it is thick and rich (and yes, shows orange peel, just like the original and wonderful BMW paint jobs of old). After it sets (about three months) it'll be cut and buffed, and ceramic coated, and will be smooth as glass.

This is an option for those who want the best. Short of spending $12,000, this is the best way to change colors on a BMW and add the protective qualities of a PPF. It doesn't yellow or end up with edges coming apart after two or three years. Properly maintained, it looks brand new for 5-7 years (or more).

No one is forcing you to do it, but I'm thrilled that we have the option.

I didn't post the picture to be attacked. I posted it as a "Random" thing I've done to my car.
His hostility, and that might be a bit of an exaggeration, looks like it's due to his personal experience with the product / its application.

I asked about it and he answered. If he's critical, seems like he has a reason to be, and I'm grateful for the perspective.

No need to take it personally.
Appreciate 2
DrewNewM2400.00
rcouchh2375.00
      04-29-2024, 10:32 PM   #1120
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Quote:

Sure, the average person couldn't tell the difference between a poor vinyl wrap job and a $20k paint job either. I certainly would be able to tell the difference between autoflex and an individual paint and can from the pics.

Not hating I just have experience with the product and yeah it looks good when done right, can customize colors, but has some big negatives as well. There is a reason there are only a couple shops left that do it. I knew of probably a dozen that did it well, and only 1 still offers it.

If you like it, who cares and enjoy. It still looks good
Appreciate 1
exmowner681.00
      05-01-2024, 03:13 PM   #1121
Mr.McNutty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 135i, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
A few shots from this past weekend. Got together with 50 other M cars to go for a drive, complete with camera crew and everything.

Of the 50 cars, I was the only G87. I watched the illusion of the “ugly g87” shatter right before my very eyes as many people were shocked at how good it looks in person.
Attached Images

Old username: OnesAndEyes
Appreciate 7
playswcars3657.50
GuyOh1067.00
xtougher592.00
kanpan18.00
notis0.00
      05-01-2024, 06:25 PM   #1122
Smilodon
Private
United_States