F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Need help very weird
proTUNING Freaks

05-15-2024, 12:38 PM   #1
NathanCarline
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Shadow Edition

Need help very weird

Hi,

So around 6 months ago my 2018 F30 threw an sos call system failure on the dash, this cause my left stick to stop working so I couldn’t clear my trip mileage and change between live mpg, mpg, speed and date.

Not longer after my sat nav was working but was saying I was 90 miles away from where I actually was, I left this for 6 months because not having this wasn’t really an issue to me.

However yesterday my Bluetooth microphone stopped working as I was in the phone… I was very frustrated… a day later on my way home from work all 3 issues had randomly fixed themselves so I’m at a loss.. I have no idea what to do or if it’s going to randomly happen again. Someone has told me it could be water ingress and it could’ve dried due to the warm weather, however we’ve just had 2 days of heavy rain
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 09:29 PM   #2
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanCarline View Post
Hi,

So around 6 months ago my 2018 F30 threw an sos call system failure on the dash, this cause my left stick to stop working so I couldn’t clear my trip mileage and change between live mpg, mpg, speed and date.

Not longer after my sat nav was working but was saying I was 90 miles away from where I actually was, I left this for 6 months because not having this wasn’t really an issue to me.

However yesterday my Bluetooth microphone stopped working as I was in the phone… I was very frustrated… a day later on my way home from work all 3 issues had randomly fixed themselves so I’m at a loss.. I have no idea what to do or if it’s going to randomly happen again. Someone has told me it could be water ingress and it could’ve dried due to the warm weather, however we’ve just had 2 days of heavy rain
It’s sounding more like the ATM module which does sos, gps position , handfree calling etc. It has a backup battery that keeps the unit running which may be failing. The unit is under the trunk tray at the back. It’s easy enough to replay the rechargeable battery pack. Going by the intermittent nature without scanning car I’d replace the battery pack and see how it behaves.

Other issue can be water ingress around the sharkfin where the antenna module if for phone / connected services and gps.

Car really needs to be scanned to determine, but replacing the atm module backup battery may sort it.

Here’s a generic battery

https://www.amazon.ca/Emergency-Batt.../dp/B0BYDBKCDK

And picture of atm module. The battery cover slips off in the direction of the arrow printed into the plastic
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Billfitz8296.50