F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > BMW AUC woes
GetBMWParts

05-03-2024, 11:19 AM   #1
Davey90
Private
Rep
Drives: Non

BMW AUC woes

Hi Guys,

Won't share too much at the moment, but picked up an AUC last week and have noted a few 'issues' to date, it was a distance sale so only saw on the day of collection.

- Passenger door not latching with regular force, needs to be slammed - looking at the bolts its definitely been removed at some point.

- Door card on said door also looks ill fitted can see a few gaps which are not the same on the other side.

- The car has a pan roof which has just developed a leak today.

- I requested the car service history after the first 2 issues came up and looks like the first service 6 months late (4k over) - shows as red on their system and print out sent to me.

Car otherwise seems fine, just tainted the experience a bit - i haven't discussed the leaky roof yet but it was suggested i visit my local garage with the other issues as the car is under AUC warranty now.

Given todays new issue i think the supplying dealer should take the car back to rectify the issues, pretty sure i'd have to pay my local garage for courtesy and for them its just another job whereas the supplying dealer should be looking to sort these out asap and get me in another car whilst i wait.

What's the best approach here and do you see the late service as a problem? Not sure i have any recourse with this - tried bmw uk and after 3 departments was told there are no AUC sale guidelines regarding this but not sure they really knew.
Appreciate 1
D69GMB474.50
      05-03-2024, 11:42 AM   #2
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Hmmmm, I thought the whole point of AUC was they are sold niggle free with 'Main dealer' reassurance everything is sound! Oh well. Seems its more like an RAC 100 point check where they only check 5 things.

The door closing issue and ill fitted door card don't sound good. New door I suspect. I take it the driver side closes gently as normal?

My door card was similar but after looking into it, it had a new window regulator fitted under warranty, which is fair enough, things break.

I would definitely be attempting to get the selling dealer to rectify the faults.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17566.50
      05-03-2024, 12:07 PM   #3
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
This does seem to vary by dealers but if your dealer concludes the issue was there when it was sold to you (e.g. evidence of a botched repair) they will probably not be able to pursue a warranty claim with BMW. Instead they will advise you to take it up with the supplying dealer as they have sold you a car that should not have been sold as AUC so they will need to sort it. See what your dealer says but expect to take it up with the supplying dealer. I would speak to them anyway to put them on notice that they may have to remedy it and see what they offer to do. In the meantime make sure your dealer doesn’t do anything they will charge you for.
      05-03-2024, 12:49 PM   #4
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

In my experience the AUC check is a work of fiction - the car gets a wash and vac and then is put out on the forecourt. Quality control is left up to the buyer. That said, I have found that they will always rectify faults so as long as you don’t mind doing the quality control job for them, you can end up with a car as it should be.

My most recent AUC purchase was the 1 year old Mini. That had a broken grille at the front and a broken parcel shelf. Both were replaced under warranty when I pointed them out.

The one unsolvable issue is the missing service though. That doesn’t sound great. I imagine that could affect resale value. Perhaps someone here has experience of that?
Appreciate 2
JustChris17566.50
Wills28698.00
      05-03-2024, 01:03 PM   #5
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

It's worth remembering that you should have 14 days to reject the car if you are not happy with it.

It's a bit of a grey area when it comes to a 'distance sale' if you physically collected the car, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 01:25 PM   #6
Davey90
Private
Rep
Drives: Non

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
In my experience the AUC check is a work of fiction - the car gets a wash and vac and then is put out on the forecourt. Quality control is left up to the buyer. That said, I have found that they will always rectify faults so as long as you don’t mind doing the quality control job for them, you can end up with a car as it should be.

My most recent AUC purchase was the 1 year old Mini. That had a broken grille at the front and a broken parcel shelf. Both were replaced under warranty when I pointed them out.

The one unsolvable issue is the missing service though. That doesn’t sound great. I imagine that could affect resale value. Perhaps someone here has experience of that?
Agreed and hoping i can get this all rectified without too much bother.

The service isn't missing but was carried out 6 months late - 4k miles over. Just wondering if i should be overly concerned about this.

Interesting point about rejection Pond - not really looking to go down that route as long as these things can be sorted without too much pain.

The supplying dealer is approx 100 miles away, would it be too much of an ask to have them collect the car and leave me with one in its place whilst the problems are being sorted?

Trying to gauge what would be a reasonable ask.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 01:54 PM   #7
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Grassicks in Perth(60 mi away) sent out a personal to deliver a courtesy car and took my auc to update service history and fix a electric seat issue. Very much the exception I'd think.
100 miles isn't that far.why can't they book you in and give you a courtesy and sort out. I'd think they should..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 02:53 PM   #8
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

When was the late service? Was it during COVID?
AUC standards really have dropped, some of the cars my local BMW sell are a mess, my theory is sales will try and spend as little as possible to qualify for AUC warranty and maximise profit. Once sold they can claim any repair costs from BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 04:30 PM   #9
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey90 View Post
Trying to gauge what would be a reasonable ask.
A reasonable ask with a supposed AUC would be for them sort the issues and not leave you inconvenienced or out of pocket.

I think with AUCs the supplying dealer is ultimately responsible, so a local dealer can counter-charge them, which will be more costly than the supplying dealer getting the car back and doing the work themselves. BMW UK don't get involved, either IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 05:39 PM   #10
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

My feeling unless you got a mega deal or are in love with it, reject.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 04:05 AM   #11
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

In your shoes I’d do the following:

- take it locally and ask them to fix what they can under warranty.

- if something can’t be claimed then ask your local dealer to get the supplying dealer to pay for the fixes, or you’ll reject the car.

- service history. Completely subjective and if you like the car, then this will effect resale and you could ask for goodwill, otherwise you could also reject it.

A
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 04:33 AM   #12
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
With regards to service history I suppose the only thing is that if there is a fault in the future like engine trouble etc that the warranty/goodwill will still be there. Written clarification regarding the same would be my only priority with regards to the same.
Appreciate 0