c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
130km/h (81mph) level ground on cruise control with no noticeable wind, indicated consumption of 8.0 l/100km.
My 8AT got 26mpg to Raleigh and 27mpg back to VA…240 miles each way. I was somewhat pleased with that thinking it was going to be a bit lower. Speaking of which, the transmission has been really responsive, quick shifting and fun in manual mode too.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3638.50
      11-20-2023, 06:38 PM   #376
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Here is my issue, people claiming, ir pushing, that a manual is more fun (or even engaging). How many of you have run the 1/4 down an NHRA drag strip?

I am sure I have over 200 runs at Gainesville Raceway. Most real drag cars are autos or forms of autos. Is it fun, hell yes. Is it exhilirating, hell yes. Is it engaging, hell yes. Would I want to do it in a manual, hell no. Can the same fun be had driving on the street, of course. When I purchased the G87, my intention was to build it to 700+/600+ beginning after the breakin service (not something I would do with the manual for multiple reasons).

I have owned and driven manuals over the years. Were they fun, yes. Were they engaging, yes. The thing is, between my intentions and my driving location in South Florida, its just not what I want.

Bottom line, is there a right or wrong, no...and nobody should be criticized or made fun of for their decision. When people are, they tend to push back or defend themselves.
I say get what you want and what makes sense for your intentions with the car. I’ve had several manuals in suburban Atlanta and California, and they were all superior driving experiences for me. Manual 330, M5, corvette, E46 M3, F80 M3. I’m really excited about the manual M4 on order. We have great roads here to enjoy the driving engagement. I’ve been enjoying my Z4, but it’s a bit boring after a while. Manual makes joy drives that much more interesting and engaging.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3638.50
      11-20-2023, 06:43 PM   #377
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
I mean the M2 is not a drag car so I’m not sure the point you’re making between an auto or manual serves that exact example as purpose.

BUT- I do agree with you on the no right or wrong answer.

Well, thats where you are wrong. Any car can be drag raced. There are people running front wheel drive Hondas that would make your jaw drop.

There are a number of people and race teans running the M2 M3 & M4 in the 1/8 and 1/4 mi. Street legal G8Xs with stage 2 tunes and stock internals (they are fully forged so no reason to doubt them) are running in the 9s. That is nothing to slouch at.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5912.00
      11-20-2023, 07:06 PM   #378
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Well, thats where you are wrong. Any car can be drag raced. There are people running front wheel drive Hondas that would make your jaw drop.

There are a number of people and race teans running the M2 M3 & M4 in the 1/8 and 1/4 mi. Street legal G8Xs with stage 2 tunes and stock internals (they are fully forged so no reason to doubt them) are running in the 9s. That is nothing to slouch at.
Oh yeah I’ve seen it, but I think the car serves its purpose on a track over the drag strip, but hey the S58 can do it all.

Regardless, the ZF8 does its job competitively around a track and if some wish, on the strip.

I prefer a 6MT in the G87 personally but I’m not an automatic hater. It’s much harder to heel-toe into a 90 degree turn than flick the fingers. But maybe that’s why I like the challenge!
Appreciate 3
      11-20-2023, 08:02 PM   #379
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
Have had the car for 4 days now, first manual car in 9 years. Coming from a G42, other car is an X3. Owned MT Acura TSX and 98 VW Jetta previously. Drove my father's 74 911 and 98 968 occasionally, including on the track.

I am enjoying the hell out of the manual. I know it isn't as fast and it would suck in long durations of stop and go traffic, but I am so happy.

The feel of the engine vibrating via the stick. Reving higher up the rev range then needed even in casual driving. Downshifting with rev match. The sounds of the gears slotting into place. Auto breaking on hill starts? Love it. Just as good or better experience then any manual I have driven in the past.

I have never had so much fun going to the grocery store.

Now if I could just master the 1st to 2nd shift....
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2023, 08:23 PM   #380
MMMGuy60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23M2,Tesla M3,Triumph 765R

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
Have had the car for 4 days now, first manual car in 9 years. Coming from a G42, other car is an X3. Owned MT Acura TSX and 98 VW Jetta previously. Drove my father's 74 911 and 98 968 occasionally, including on the track.

I am enjoying the hell out of the manual. I know it isn't as fast and it would suck in long durations of stop and go traffic, but I am so happy.

The feel of the engine vibrating via the stick. Reving higher up the rev range then needed even in casual driving. Downshifting with rev match. The sounds of the gears slotting into place. Auto breaking on hill starts? Love it. Just as good or better experience then any manual I have driven in the past.

I have never had so much fun going to the grocery store.

Now if I could just master the 1st to 2nd shift....

1st to 2nd can be smooth if you slow it down once you release the clutch to the friction zone. If you are in a hurry, you release to the same friction zone but you slip the clutch a little as you release the rest of the clutch.
Appreciate 2
apez649.50
ronin130131000.50