BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

08-28-2023, 03:22 PM   #1
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

Have you ever painted your brake calibers?

Was it long lasting and what did it cost?
I ask cause I may do green on a 2025 but blue and red calipers look nasty on the green bmw pics I’m looking at.
Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 01:57 AM   #2
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Those $25 DIY high-temp caliper spray paint kits won’t last long. They’ll chip and fade in no time however they produce a smooth finish and look good for a few months since it’s spray painted on. Really don’t recommend this route.

$100 ($50, x2 kits) G2 caliper paint is the most durable DIY method. It’s basically colored epoxy so it’s very resistant to chipping and fading however it’s a brushed on application so the finish won’t look great up close even though it has self leveling properties.

Either DIY method requires proper prep for the best results. Meaning thorough cleaning and mechanically roughing up the surface with a scotchbrite pad or high grit sandpaper for best adhesion. Even then you won’t get all the areas prepped and your paint won’t reach all the areas since your calipers are still on the car. Yes, you can take the brakepads out and mask the bleeding valves but most people don’t do that or they do a half *ssed job.

For a nice car like an M2, I’d really recommend doing it right and either sourcing the new OEM painted caliper (black, blue, red?) if the cost isn’t too high too you, sourcing used calipers, or taking off the calipers and having them properly prepped and painted ($500-800) or better yet powdercoated ($600-800) however your car will be up on jackstands/lift for maybe 1-2 weeks. Labor is free if you do it yourself and have the space to store the car or maybe $250-400 labor at a shop.

Another option would be to have a competent shop paint them for you ($600-1000?) without taking the calipers off the car. They mask off all areas, remove the brakepads, properly clean and prep the calipers, spray primer (if needed), 2-3 coats of color, apply either high temp vinyl for the decals or better yet paint in the decals with a proper stencil/mask, then clearcoat over it.

FYI, nearly all OEM big boy brakes are painted. Powder coating would be a notch higher in finish and durability if you have the luxury of taking the calipers off from your car.

Last edited by Coconut; 08-29-2023 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 3
ourlee920.00
Bumpinjeep5581.50
      08-29-2023, 04:16 PM   #3
ourlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
Those $25 DIY high-temp caliper spray paint kits won’t last long. They’ll chip and fade in no time however they produce a smooth finish and look good for a few months since it’s spray painted on. Really don’t recommend this route.

$100 ($50, x2 kits) G2 caliper paint is the most durable DIY method. It’s basically colored epoxy so it’s very resistant to chipping and fading however it’s a brushed on application so the finish won’t look great up close even though it has self leveling properties.

Either DIY method requires proper prep for the best results. Meaning thorough cleaning and mechanically roughing up the surface with a scotchbrite pad or high grit sandpaper for best adhesion. Even then you won’t get all the areas prepped and your paint won’t reach all the areas since your calipers are still on the car. Yes, you can take the brakepads out and mask the bleeding valves but most people don’t do that or they do a half *ssed job.

For a nice car like an M2, I’d really recommend doing it right and either sourcing the new OEM painted caliper (black, blue, red?) if the cost isn’t too high too you, sourcing used calipers, or taking off the calipers and having them properly prepped and painted ($500-800) or better yet powdercoated ($600-800) however your car will be up on jackstands/lift for maybe 1-2 weeks. Labor is free if you do it yourself and have the space to store the car or maybe $250-400 labor at a shop.

Another option would be to have a competent shop paint them for you ($600-1000?) without taking the calipers off the car. They mask off all areas, remove the brakepads, properly clean and prep the calipers, spray primer (if needed), 2-3 coats of color, apply either high temp vinyl for the decals or better yet paint in the decals with a proper stencil/mask, then clearcoat over it.

FYI, nearly all OEM big boy brakes are painted. Powder coating would be a notch higher in finish and durability if you have the luxury of taking the calipers off from your car.
I’m rich enough that I get no satisfaction out of diy savings but not rich enough to not complain about the cost to professionally paint my calipers black when the black option should be offered for free. Does that make sense?
Appreciate 3
      08-29-2023, 04:27 PM   #4
Trogster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I've painted calipers over the years. The only long lasting effort resulted from completely dismantling the caliper, sand blasting, and using Hi-Temp caliper paint.
Appreciate 4
ourlee920.00
aerobod3707.50
Tag18367.00
      08-29-2023, 06:43 PM   #5
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
I’m rich enough that I get no satisfaction out of diy savings but not rich enough to not complain about the cost to professionally paint my calipers black when the black option should be offered for free. Does that make sense?
I’m in a similar boat. I’m doing BSM and swapping for 827M wheels in gold. Went with blue calipers, which will look fine, but wish I could just get black.
Appreciate 1
ourlee920.00
      08-29-2023, 06:54 PM   #6
ourlee
Captain
Rep

There are a ton of green M3s on the sister page here. The red brakes don’t look that awful
But this…DAMN

I think p cars charge $900 for blacks.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 10:11 AM   #7
Chet for short
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TR G87 M2

Kind of Christmassy
Appreciate 1
ourlee920.00
      08-30-2023, 10:46 AM   #8
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
I can afford to pay for stuff like this as well but still do it myself if I can. When someone asks where you got it done and you respond 'I did it myself'; that's what's rewarding. Saving some coin is just a plus. You also learn a ton in the process.
Appreciate 1
ourlee920.00
      08-30-2023, 11:04 AM   #9
ourlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I can afford to pay for stuff like this as well but still do it myself if I can. When someone asks where you got it done and you respond 'I did it myself'; that's what's rewarding. Saving some coin is just a plus. You also learn a ton in the process.
Yeah I rank wrenching my car below:
Driving
Golfing
Boating
Zero turning the lawn (with lites)
Watching 48 hours of football on the weekend
Washing the car
Napping
Changing the oil
Sleeping
Working
Visiting my moms