E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Correct procedure of installing control sleeve?

03-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
Hxm99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E93

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 4 series conve ...  [0.00]
Correct procedure of installing control sleeve?

Hello all

As you may have already guessed, yes, I am having major trouble installing the radiator control sleeve(the bit the blue drain plug is attached onto) onto my N53. I pushed it in by hand and its gone in perfectly, however, every time I try to unscrew the drain plug, the control sleeve turns instead. Is this because I haven't locked the sleeve into position? Am I supposed to turn it clockwise until I hear a click?

had I known draining the coolant would have been such a pain, I'd keep well away from this job.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 06:51 AM   #2
Silver Streek
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

When you say the control sleeve turns does it just keep spinning round, or does it turn round and then stop? If it keeps spinning have the tabs broken off? There are two tabs that stick out at the top, these tabs enable you to turn it in the housing until the two tabs hit a stop and lock it in place.

I have a ne radiator on the way for mine so i will face this conundrum later in the week when I come to fit it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
Hxm99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E93

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 4 series conve ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
When you say the control sleeve turns does it just keep spinning round, or does it turn round and then stop? If it keeps spinning have the tabs broken off? There are two tabs that stick out at the top, these tabs enable you to turn it in the housing until the two tabs hit a stop and lock it in place.

I have a ne radiator on the way for mine so i will face this conundrum later in the week when I come to fit it.
they spin and lock. I was told by someone to turn clockwise until I hear a Click. I think the click locks it into position. Anyways, I just did that and now it doesn't move anymore and the drain plug comes off too using a coin (Use a 20p coin! Works best!). guess i've solved it now.

fitting the lock type pipes is a pain. I've tried everything but it jus does not lock into position
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
Silver Streek
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxm99 View Post
fitting the lock type pipes is a pain. I've tried everything but it jus does not lock into position
You mean the main water pipes with the spring clip. From what I have seen on the net the clip should be put back in place and then you should push the pipe back onto the connector and it should click into place with an audible click. To be honest I've always put the pipe on and then pushed the spring clip back in, didn't realise it should be done the other way.
Appreciate 0