home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

04-10-2024, 08:51 PM   #1
jchamp922
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m240i x drive

Upgraded brake pads for M240i x drive

Looking to upgrade my brake pads 2023 m 240i x drive with m sport brakes. Tired of the heavy brake dust they produce. Looking for something that produces way less dust and little more stopping power.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 07:57 AM   #2
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp922 View Post
Looking to upgrade my brake pads 2023 m 240i x drive with m sport brakes. Tired of the heavy brake dust they produce. Looking for something that produces way less dust and little more stopping power.
Good luck
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 09:08 AM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

My experience is all pads chuck out a lot of dust these days.
Probably due to the limitations of the (safety of) materials they can use these days but also the most effective modern braking materials are dusty.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 02:12 PM   #4
tagoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Ceramic brake pads create WAY less dust that any others I have tried. Make sure you get a ceramic pad, not a carbon-ceramic pad as those dust more than plain ceramic. I refuse to deal with the mess that European brake pads make and have been using ceramic pads for years. I have mostly used Akebono pads but sadly they don't seem to make the size for my car yet. I am currently using the iSweep 1500 pads. They are nearly dustless. They feel very similar to the stock pads on the street. They are a bit pricey though. I believe Powerstop makes very inexpensive ceramic pads (Z17 series). I think they are around $40 bucks per axle on amazon. I wouldn't take ceramic pads to a track, though. I wouldn't take stock pads to a track either, though. Tracks will eat stock pads too quickly once they get hot, in my somewhat limited experience.

Please note that you must properly bed the ceramic pads (search internet for instructions) or the pads will feel like they don't want to stop very well. So wait unit bedding process and cooling down is complete before you opine on whether they stop well or not.

One additional benefit is ceramic pads are also much quieter than stock. Many BMW models have forums full of people complaining about brake squeal.
My daughter complained about X5 M50 making embarrassing amounts of noise. We put on the Powerstop pads and all noise (and almost all dust) has stopped.

Last edited by tagoo; 04-11-2024 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      04-12-2024, 09:09 AM   #5
m2not1LE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI, M2 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagoo View Post
Ceramic brake pads create WAY less dust that any others I have tried. Make sure you get a ceramic pad, not a carbon-ceramic pad as those dust more than plain ceramic. I refuse to deal with the mess that European brake pads make and have been using ceramic pads for years. I have mostly used Akebono pads but sadly they don't seem to make the size for my car yet. I am currently using the iSweep 1500 pads. They are nearly dustless. They feel very similar to the stock pads on the street. They are a bit pricey though. I believe Powerstop makes very inexpensive ceramic pads (Z17 series). I think they are around $40 bucks per axle on amazon. I wouldn't take ceramic pads to a track, though. I wouldn't take stock pads to a track either, though. Tracks will eat stock pads too quickly once they get hot, in my somewhat limited experience.

Please note that you must properly bed the ceramic pads (search internet for instructions) or the pads will feel like they don't want to stop very well. So wait unit bedding process and cooling down is complete before you opine on whether they stop well or not.

One additional benefit is ceramic pads are also much quieter than stock. Many BMW models have forums full of people complaining about brake squeal.
My daughter complained about X5 M50 making embarrassing amounts of noise. We put on the Powerstop pads and all noise (and almost all dust) has stopped.
Plenty of negatives with ceramic brake pads, as outlined here:

https://www.advicsaftermarket.com/te...ic-brake-pads/

and here:

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/lear...c-brake-pads/#

Last edited by m2not1LE; 04-12-2024 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: Added second link
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 09:41 AM   #6
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Lots of threads on this topic. Have a search for “isweep 1500” for example.

I’ve been eyeing the PowerStop Z23 pads. They make them to fit all G42 rotor sizes.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 09:50 AM   #7
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagoo View Post

Did you consider any of the other PowerStop models?

Looks like they have a few ceramic only (Z16 and Z17), carbon fiber (Z23), and ceramic / carbon fiber (Z26).

https://www.powerstop.com/products/
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 11:58 AM   #8
tagoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

I have found very few negatives associated with using ceramic pads on my European cars over the past 30 years (BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover). I agree they are more expensive. They do need to be bedded (I don't think most people do this). I have never found them to aggressively wear or warp my rotors. They do have a very linear/progressive feel to them which I like. I really dislike way the bmw brakes are extremely "grabby" with a slight amount of pedal pressure . But, ceramic pads leave your wheels gloriously clean.

I think the difference between the Z16 and Z17 is that the Z17 comes with a bit of hardware and the Z16 is just pads.

HERE IS SOME VERY IMPORTANT INFO: The brake pads for non-ZTK G42 cars changed for MY24. I am not sure the pads PowerStop is currently selling will work on the '24 cars. For some strange reason, BMW decided for '24 that the 2 retaining pins (the pins that you use a punch to remove from the calipers) are placed closer together than in the '23 and earlier cars. It makes no sense, but it is true. I originally bought the iSweep pads, and they didn't fit. I provided pictures, videos and measurements to Ben at RG Sports (huge shout out to Ben and RG Sports) and they worked with the supplier to make the manufacturing changes so that the pads now work with the '24 cars. While I was waiting for the new iSweep pads to be manufactured, I ordered the PowerStop pads (Z17) which are stupid-cheap, to see if they fit as PoswerStop claimed. They did not fit. So, long answer, but no, I didn't try PowerStop because their front pads did not fit a '24 when I was working on a solution. Also, I wanted to support Ben and RG Sports for their efforts.
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      04-12-2024, 12:00 PM   #9
jchamp922
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m240i x drive

I was researching the EBC red stuff, isweep, powerstop z26, and hawks ceramic performance. Everybody has a different opinion on each of them
Appreciate 0