BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-18-2024, 07:37 AM   #67
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueGTI View Post
Agree that we shouldn’t warm up too long., and the comments on this thread makes sense.

However doesn’t this then make the remote engine start kinda counterproductive/redundant?
I use remote start to either heat/cool the interior when necessary. Other than that don't use it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 07:58 AM   #68
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueGTI View Post
Agree that we shouldn’t warm up too long., and the comments on this thread makes sense.

However doesn’t this then make the remote engine start kinda counterproductive/redundant?
Not necessarily. It depends upon climate conditions.

Sometimes -- mostly on road trips -- I've left cars outside in winter weather. (See pic of 2006 GTO.)

Long story short it takes 5+ minutes of idle time with the heater set to defrost to help get the glass clear enough to safely operate the car.

In the mean time I'm sitting in a pretty cold car save for the times I am outside giving the windows a scrape. In this case remote start would allow the driver to warm up the car help melt any snow/ice on the car's glass so the driver then spends less time in the cold.

And hopefully it is less common for someone to take off in the car with the windows not yet properly cleared.

The flip side is when the car is parked outside in hot weather. Sure not every place is as hot as Death Valley but there have been reports of tourists there getting into their car and with shorts on and experiencing some pretty painful burns from the hot dark colored upholstery. Leather or man made coverings.

While I have not been in Death Valley a number of times my cars have been parked in CA direct sunlight for a number of hours and even through my long pants I can feel the heat. Women in shorts or dresses really complain and shift around in the seat to reduce the discomfort.

Remote start would give the A/C (and is fitted ventilated seats) time to cool the interior to a tolerable/safe level.

(Rather than use remote start to cool the car I found putting a loose cushion on the passenger seat took the direct sunlight keeping the seat bottom cool. Then when the passenger gets in the car she stands the cushion upright against the seat back and sits on the cooler seat bottom.)

The bit to avoid idling the engine after start is applicable to the majority of drivers and their cars' condition.

And it also clearly is applicable to how the car should be treated when it is being emissions/fuel economy tested. Yes, this testing only happens once per new model but there is considerable value in "gaming" the system (legally so and not like VW did it) to improve the final numbers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 06:40 PM   #69
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Usually I go about 2-3 minutes before I pull out.
      04-18-2024, 09:31 PM   #70
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

I auto start and let it warm up for 3-4 mins.

I do suffer from OCD, engine oil and filter replaced at 290 miles. Will repeat at 750 then let bmw preform the break in at 1200.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 07:42 AM   #71
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
I do suffer from OCD, engine oil and filter replaced at 290 miles. Will repeat at 750 then let bmw preform the break in at 1200.

What is your cadence plan after 1200 break-in?
      04-19-2024, 08:27 AM   #72
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Allow idle to minimize then drive responsibly until operating temperature is reached.
YMMV
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 08:29 AM   #73
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post

What is your cadence plan after 1200 break-in?
At 2000 miles I’m switching to Amsoil 0w30 then run a blackstone report. Depending on results I might switch to a 5w30.

As for service intervals every 2000 miles. It’s overkill but it makes me happy. Florida heat accelerates oil thinning.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 10:26 AM   #74
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

I would never discourage someone from doing what they want but that is a bit OCD for sure. But if you are not running a BMW approved oil, that may be best.
      04-19-2024, 12:06 PM   #75
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

I don't understand why some people, especially those OCD'd with their car, want to sit and idle. BMW tells you to start and drive for a reason. Idling is not as efficient and it puts more wear on the vehicle. The engine and transmission need to warm up together. Plus, why does anyone want to waste gas and pollute for no reason?

I don't even get why some people want to disable their autostop button. 95% of the time there's a car in front of me at the red light and I can't go any faster than that car anyway. Or maybe there's more people that live in Ringling, MT than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 06:34 AM   #76
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
The flip side is when the car is parked outside in hot weather. Sure not every place is as hot as Death Valley but there have been reports of tourists there getting into their car and with shorts on and experiencing some pretty painful burns from the hot dark colored upholstery. Leather or man made coverings.

While I have not been in Death Valley a number of times my cars have been parked in CA direct sunlight for a number of hours and even through my long pants I can feel the heat. Women in shorts or dresses really complain and shift around in the seat to reduce the discomfort.

Remote start would give the A/C (and is fitted ventilated seats) time to cool the interior to a tolerable/safe level.

(Rather than use remote start to cool the car I found putting a loose cushion on the passenger seat took the direct sunlight keeping the seat bottom cool. Then when the passenger gets in the car she stands the cushion upright against the seat back and sits on the cooler seat bottom.)
When you have 80 days over 100 degrees & 40 days over 105, it's not about the seats being hot, it's about the interior of the vehicle being 120-150 degrees. I prefer not to sit in a pool of sweat on my drive home from work. My car is parked in a parking garage out of direct sunlight but is still an oven inside by the time I'm done for the day. I typically start the car from my phone when I leave my office and it takes me about 4 min to walk over to the garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 06:42 AM   #77
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

I’m in the drive n go camp.
Cold oil doesn’t lubricate.
Gentle driving heats the oil up way faster than idling - like 3-4x faster.
That’s less potential damage that’s occurring.
wjones14663.00
aerobod3630.00
      04-20-2024, 10:17 AM   #78
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

In the winter, idling only long enough for the windows to be clear, in the summer opening all the windows to force the hot air out when driving off immediately after starting, before the air conditioning is cooling efficiently.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 11:03 AM   #79
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
I don't understand why some people, especially those OCD'd with their car, want to sit and idle. BMW tells you to start and drive for a reason. Idling is not as efficient and it puts more wear on the vehicle. The engine and transmission need to warm up together. Plus, why does anyone want to waste gas and pollute for no reason?

I don't even get why some people want to disable their autostop button. 95% of the time there's a car in front of me at the red light and I can't go any faster than that car anyway. Or maybe there's more people that live in Ringling, MT than I thought.
Different strokes for different folks..

Lived next door to a woman who would let her new T-Bird idle for minutes every morning. At some point we were talking and I asked her about that. She said that's what her husband (but at the time ex-husband) said to do. I didn't feel that suggesting she do otherwise would go over well.

As for auto stop/start I'm old school -- and from my motorcycle days extremely sensitive to the engine -- and I just can't get used to having an engine stop without me turning the key off or pushing the stop button. And the few times I have tried to live with the feature the (re)start causes me to hesitate. It is so unnerving and especially with a manual transmission equipped car as I apparently am quicker with the clutch than the engine can restart.

If I find myself in a situation where I know I'll be not moving for a bit -- say at a train crossing -- I'll switch off the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 11:40 AM   #80
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
Simply an annoying function in traffic and I’m tickled pink to disable it. I’d like to see it optional as opposed to standard equipment.
IMO
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 08:13 PM   #81
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Simply an annoying function in traffic and I’m tickled pink to disable it. I’d like to see it optional as opposed to standard equipment.
IMO
I agree, and I also love in the BMWs once you turn it off the first time, it stays off. Much better than having to turn it off every time you start the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 04:04 AM   #82
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Glad to see goats are OK left outside in the freezing snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
... I've left cars outside in winter weather. (See pic of 2006 GTO.) .
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 08:13 AM   #83
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I agree, and I also love in the BMWs once you turn it off the first time, it stays off. Much better than having to turn it off every time you start the car.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 08:25 AM   #84
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Glad to see goats are OK left outside in the freezing snow.
Pic taken in Shamrock TX. Got caught in an ice storm. (The snow arrived later overnight.) I40 was slick. TX believes since God put ice/snow on the freeway God can remove it. I bailed off the freeway just as my hand held CB let me hear truckers reporting accidents west of Shamrock and likely the freeway would be closed. Got one of the last hotel rooms left in town.

Long story short not long after the pic I had the snow removed from the car and was on my way south out of Shamrock -- the storm's ice/snow stopped just south of town -- taking "back" roads south/west then north and connecting back with I40 just east of Amarillo TX. The freeway was clear there and beyond all the way to CA.
Appreciate 1
eluded3050.00
      04-21-2024, 08:42 PM   #85
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC87ZB View Post
I would never discourage someone from doing what they want but that is a bit OCD for sure. But if you are not running a BMW approved oil, that may be best.
I can assure you Amsoil 0w30 is superior in every way when compared to bmw “approved oil”
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0