BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-08-2023, 12:38 PM   #45
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
Actually the spacers didn't completely eliminate the clicking. I don't hear it when going straight, but when I'm on a windy mtn road and turn the wheel about half a turn either way, I hear major clicking. Sounds like I have a rattlesnake in my wheels. Lol
I assume you’re hearing this at speed? This is odd because in most cases the clicking is only heard at parking lot speeds.

Check your lugs torque?

Everything’s still quiet for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 07:23 PM   #46
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
I assume you’re hearing this at speed? This is odd because in most cases the clicking is only heard at parking lot speeds.

Check your lugs torque?

Everything’s still quiet for me.
I checked them and they are all good. I hear it when I'm going fairly slow around some tight turns. I'm probably not going parking lot speeds but not going very fast either.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 11:45 PM   #47
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
I checked them and they are all good. I hear it when I'm going fairly slow around some tight turns. I'm probably not going parking lot speeds but not going very fast either.
May want to try the extremely thin friction discs shown in the service bulletin. I was going to add them if the spacers didn’t fix it. Basically just breaks up the harmonics between the 2 metals.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 11:53 AM   #48
iborroel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 996TT, 1980 911 SC

Is this clicking noise only occurring with the forged wheels and not the flow formed?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 07:12 AM   #49
YC
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i

Wow, so glad that I find this thread and know that I'm not alone

I have 20" VS5RS on my G21 and also notice the clicking noise with windows down.
Completely identical to OP's situation.

Since I'm not going to use spacers, bearing it seems to be the only solution for me
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 02:52 PM   #50
wb8164
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BG 230i

Have you tried a thin layer/film of anti seize compound or grease between the rotor hat and the wheel hub?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 07:21 PM   #51
M2_papi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Found this thread due to having the same noises coming from the rear. And same wheels!

2020 M2C
19" VS5RS

Started noticing the noise after wheel install. Will try the antiseize trick. If the noise returns, wheel spacers.
      01-20-2024, 07:26 PM   #52
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

strange that apex is on the forums and there seems to be people coming from even other gens now with the same issues but they haven't said a word in here.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 02:27 AM   #53
YC
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i

I noticed the noise from 4 wheels at low speed & moving straight condition.

Could it be related to the aggressive concave design? Maybe more stress on brake/hub or something?

I swapped to other BBS rims with same spec in the front, 2mm larger ET in the back, and with new BBS bolts, all clicking noises are gone!!
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 09:09 AM   #54
M240iWhizz
Rep
Drives: M240i G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
strange that apex is on the forums and there seems to be people coming from even other gens now with the same issues but they haven't said a word in here.
Expert@ApexWheels any insights from the company? From some of the posts here is clear this topic is well known at your company. A solution or confirmed workaround would surely be appreciated by your current or future customers.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:08 AM   #55
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nope I have tagged them in other posts radio silence. Oh well, guess no apex wheels for me. Found a killer deal on some used ones but I doubt the seller would tell me they click like crazy. Personally would lose my mind if they sounded like some of the videos.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 04:55 PM   #56
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Hi all,

Tom here from the BMW team.

Sorry for the lack of response thus far. Tags on our accounts on Bimmerpost often are missed on our end unless we get lucky when checking notifications, but I’ll keep an eye on this thread going forward.

This ticking noise has cropped up a few times. I’m generally the one answering the phone on the BMW line and I know I talked to the OP about the issue as well as several others. With that said, it's a relatively rare issue. It is certainly happening hence this thread and the calls but it isn’t happening to every car with these wheels.

We’ve seen this issue on the G chassis BMWs and some of the F8X M cars as well as the A90 Supra once. While we don’t know the exact cause, this thread is essentially on the money. This will be a longer response, but here is the TLDR:
We suspect that our wheels are amplifying a pre-existing noise, especially for cars with certain types of brake rotors.

As the OP said, there are a few service bulletins that cover a similar issue with BMW wheels. There are more than these 2, but I’ll link the 2 I have saved:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...74009-9999.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...46758-9999.pdf

Before I worked for Apex, I worked for a BMW dealer in the warranty department. I do remember a few of the F80 M3 and F82 M4s coming in for a similar issue with factory wheels. In the case of the SIBs, the ticking is coming from the interface between the hub flange and the brake rotor itself and it applies specifically to cars with certain 2-piece rotors (described as lightweight discs in the SIB). This tracks with feedback from our customers as most commonly the noise has occurred either on F chassis cars with the floating rotors or the lightweight rotors common on many of the G chassis models.

The friction disc for these SIBs sits between the hub and rotor when installed as recommended. It's important to note that the bulletin also provides some work time for the tech to clean the hub flange. We’ve had a few customers eliminate the clicking noise just by removing corrosion from and cleaning their hub flange as well as the mating surfaces of the rotors on either side.

Spacers or anti-seize between the wheel mounting face and the brake rotor can also prevent or reduce the noise considerably. It’s likely that whatever is causing the tick sounds is still there, but the spacer/anti-seize is preventing most of the vibrations from transferring into the wheel which is what causes the sound.

Our forged wheels are quite stiff and have less material than most of the OE wheels that come with these cars hence their light weight. That combined with some of the pocketing machining on the back of the wheel which further reduces the weight of the wheel seems to make the sound more audible with our wheels than OE wheels.

With the possible solutions outlined above, it’s important to highlight that this isn’t a structural defect or a deeper issue with the wheels themselves. We’ve seen no indication that there are any safety concerns with these designs or any other problems beyond the annoying sound. If you own a set of these wheels and aren't happy with them because of this issue, please do reach out to support@apexwheels.com.
      02-12-2024, 07:21 PM   #57
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexWheels View Post
Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of response thus far. Tags on our accounts on Bimmerpost often are missed on our end unless we get lucky when checking notifications, but I’ll keep an eye on this thread going forward.

This ticking noise has cropped up a few times. I’m generally the one answering the phone on the BMW line and I know I talked to the OP about the issue as well as several others. With that said, it's a relatively rare issue. It is certainly happening hence this thread and the calls but it isn’t happening to every car with these wheels.

We’ve seen this issue on the G chassis BMWs and some of the F8X M cars as well as the A90 Supra once. While we don’t know the exact cause, this thread is essentially on the money. This will be a longer response, but here is the TLDR:
We suspect that our wheels are amplifying a pre-existing noise, especially for cars with certain types of brake rotors.

As the OP said, there are a few service bulletins that cover a similar issue with BMW wheels. There are more than these 2, but I’ll link the 2 I have saved:

Before I worked for Apex, I worked for a BMW dealer in the warranty department. I do remember a few of the F80 M3 and F82 M4s coming in for a similar issue with factory wheels. In the case of the SIBs, the ticking is coming from the interface between the hub flange and the brake rotor itself and it applies specifically to cars with certain 2-piece rotors (described as lightweight discs in the SIB). This tracks with feedback from our customers as most commonly the noise has occurred either on F chassis cars with the floating rotors or the lightweight rotors common on many of the G chassis models.

The friction disc for these SIBs sits between the hub and rotor when installed as recommended. It's important to note that the bulletin also provides some work time for the tech to clean the hub flange. We’ve had a few customers eliminate the clicking noise just by removing corrosion from and cleaning their hub flange as well as the mating surfaces of the rotors on either side.

Spacers or anti-seize between the wheel mounting face and the brake rotor can also prevent or reduce the noise considerably. It’s likely that whatever is causing the tick sounds is still there, but the spacer/anti-seize is preventing most of the vibrations from transferring into the wheel which is what causes the sound.

Our forged wheels are quite stiff and have less material than most of the OE wheels that come with these cars hence their light weight. That combined with some of the pocketing machining on the back of the wheel which further reduces the weight of the wheel seems to make the sound more audible with our wheels than OE wheels.

With the possible solutions outlined above, it’s important to highlight that this isn’t a structural defect or a deeper issue with the wheels themselves. We’ve seen no indication that there are any safety concerns with these designs or any other problems beyond the annoying sound. If you own a set of these wheels and aren't happy with them because of this issue, please do reach out to support@apexwheels.com.
Awesome thank you again 4k for a set of forged wheels is a killer deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 07:57 PM   #58
M240iWhizz
Rep
Drives: M240i G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexWheels View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for the in depth response and support channel.
Is there a way to ascertain whether your particular rotors/car model would be incompatible?
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 09:50 PM   #59
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

I had my forged Apex VS-5RS wheels for 6 months now with around 4k miles on them and I haven't noticed any clicking at all.
      02-13-2024, 10:57 AM   #60
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M240iWhizz View Post
Thanks for the in depth response and support channel.
Is there a way to ascertain whether your particular rotors/car model would be incompatible?
The floating type/semi-floating rotors are the ones that seem to be more problematic, but most of the G20 and G42s out there have these rotors and all the F8X M2,3, & 4 have a similar design. With that said, not every car with this rotor style has the tick. It remains quite rare and differs from car to car. Some people have it only on one wheel, others have it on all 4.

There are also a number of things that can cause ticking and we've had several customers reach out with a ticking sound that was traced back to unrelated parts like the suspension tick that was linked in the youtube video at the start of this thread or a poorly installed aftermarket camber plate assembly.

-Tom