BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-23-2023, 12:03 PM   #353
Trogster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
Could I get some opinions on the Stradale Designs CF Oil Cooler Guard, Think I'll buy it today depending on reviews.
Anyone rocking this?

https://www.stradaledesign.com/g87-m...l-cooler-guard
In my humble opinion, that's the dog's bollocks!!!
Appreciate 1
M2siast5994.50
      12-23-2023, 12:15 PM   #354
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Could I get some opinions on the Stradale Designs CF Oil Cooler Guard, Think I'll buy it today depending on reviews.
Anyone rocking this?

No bueno...not only would I stay away from cf under the car (you need function, not looks) but that is not going to provide very good airflow.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 12:16 PM   #355
Baller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2 G87  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I would't put anything carbon fiber underneath the vehicle. That $1k piece will be damaged in no time. I'd also be concerned with airflow to the cooler with the openings facing the rear of the vehicle.

The only thing that needs to be covered is the cooler opening, the rest of the underbody is covered already. Unless you're taking the M2 off-roading, the "skid plates" are unnecessary.
I should also mention I'm in Canada, it's currently -11c/51.8f and getting colder every day, there's large chunks of ice and salt flying, rolling and sliding down the road right beside me. Sometimes faster than me...
It's fucking nuts on these roads right now, literally shit is flying everywhere, and I'm in Toronto, so everyone is in a rush to go nowhere.

True, CF is not my first choice for something under the car, but I do like the design for protection in these elements.

Keep it coming guys.
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2023, 12:49 PM   #356
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Anyone rocking this?

Username checks out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks insane. I love how the openings face the rear as they should. Seems well engineered.

If you have the money, go for it. But I agree metal would be more durable. I have been sleeping on getting the mishimoto. It’ll be half the price of this one. Why not the mishimoto?

(Metal gets hit and doesn’t get damaged, and if it does, it’ll dent/bend instead of cracking, carbon fibre is really poor for parts underneath, look at lips breaking all the time)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 01:19 PM   #357
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
I slept on it. I bought the Mishimoto skid plate just now, waiting for it to ship.

My rationale (Baller helped me remember how bad things can get, thank you very much man! Of course others were very helpful too, it’s just that he hit it where it hurts):

I drive in any condition. I know deep snow is heavy stuff. I’ve had front coolers just blocked by it, but I’ve had to replace the bottom plastic pieces on all my cars (including an X3), for driving in snow too deep and bottoming out the car (including getting stuck because of it).

As I mentioned before, it’s not just about the cooler, but the plastic pieces will crack and sometimes if the rock is bad enough, the plate will hang loose and hit the ground. Those original parts are more expensive than the metal aftermarket, from memory (I paid $1,000 to get my bottom plastic pieces shipped from Schmiedmann for my 135i).
When I sold the 135i, it was cracked again!

If it happens to the plate, it could happen to the cooler.

So if you don’t drive it in deep snow (as you know I go skiing), or let the car hibernate during winter, maybe you don’t have to worry about it (look at my cooler, it’s brand new after 9,000 km).

Since I’ll be off-roading this car to ski, I got the metal plate for when it bottoms out.

Is it a design flaw? Up to you to decide. I am still not certain about that. I just think they expect people to be careful and not off-road this car. Screw that.
Appreciate 5
Tag18447.00
Sculpin281.00
      12-23-2023, 01:27 PM   #358
Baller
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2 G87  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Username checks out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks insane. I love how the openings face the rear as they should. Seems well engineered.

If you have the money, go for it. But I agree metal would be more durable. I have been sleeping on getting the mishimoto. It’ll be half the price of this one. Why not the mishimoto?

(Metal gets hit and doesn’t get damaged, and if it does, it’ll dent/bend instead of cracking, carbon fibre is really poor for parts underneath, look at lips breaking all the time)
I wrote an awesome reply to this, left the app, assuming my draft would be automatically saved and it clearly wasn’t.

So to sum things up; Thank you, good points,
It does look well executed, there’s also a video on how they engineered it with flow testing. I think it looks cool too.
Yes metal would be ideal but I don’t like the look, design and the fact that everyone has the same ones.
I’d like to try something different, also I’d like to have a opinion based on experience with it, the price doesn’t really matter, roast me.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5994.50
      12-23-2023, 01:48 PM   #359
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
I wrote an awesome reply to this, left the app, assuming my draft would be automatically saved and it clearly wasn’t.

So to sum things up; Thank you, good points,
It does look well executed, there’s also a video on how they engineered it with flow testing. I think it looks cool too.
Yes metal would be ideal but I don’t like the look, design and the fact that everyone has the same ones.
I’d like to try something different, also I’d like to have a opinion based on experience with it, the price doesn’t really matter, roast me.
Be our hero and get it!

If I could, I would.

Then you will be able to tell us how it holds up.
I’m not sure how carbon fibre changes with temperature, but you know plastic becomes extremely hard and brittle, that is why it cracks so easy when it’s cold out.
Maybe carbon fibre will be more malleable and take some impact better.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 02:01 PM   #360
Baller
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2 G87  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Be our hero and get it!

If I could, I would.

Then you will be able to tell us how it holds up.
I’m not sure how carbon fibre changes with temperature, but you know plastic becomes extremely hard and brittle, that is why it cracks so easy when it’s cold out.
Maybe carbon fibre will be more malleable and take some impact better.
After a very brief CF research project online, and a big thank you to everyone here, I have decided to not to purchase it based on the information you all provided and in the facts that CF can become very brittle in cold climates.
It’s always cold here. I’ll raw dog it like it always do.
Thank you.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5994.50
      12-23-2023, 02:12 PM   #361
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Is it a design flaw? Up to you to decide.
I decided long ago that it is.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5994.50
clydefrog288.50
      12-23-2023, 02:20 PM   #362
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I decided long ago that it is.
I’m not an engineer.
My dumbass wonders if the oil cooler couldn’t be swapped with the intercooler and provide the same efficiency for both. So the one facing the ground would just leak air…

Because I’m a layman, I assume it wouldn’t. Otherwise, this design would be dumber than me.
Appreciate 1
Baller151.50
      12-23-2023, 02:30 PM   #363
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2

Quote:
Anyone rocking this?

This is exactly the design I had in my mind. Still allowing air to flow horizontally and touch the fins but restricts any flying object from getting into to direct contact with the cooler at an angle. I would have liked it made with some metal
Appreciate 1
M2siast5994.50
      12-23-2023, 02:35 PM   #364
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
I’m not an engineer.
My dumbass wonders if the oil cooler couldn’t be swapped with the intercooler and provide the same efficiency for both. So the one facing the ground would just leak air…

Because I’m a layman, I assume it wouldn’t. Otherwise, this design would be dumber than me.
Well, I am an engineer albeit not automotive. But I do know this, they went from an air-to-air intercooler like on older engines to an air-to-water intercooler on the S58. Since its water cooled, they were able to take advantage of not needing it placed far from the engine like on air-to-air intercoolers which are typically found behind the front bumper. It's top mounted providing a direct path to the intake.

Last edited by Tag; 12-23-2023 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
M2siast5994.50
Baller151.50
      12-23-2023, 02:58 PM   #365
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
As the car is brand new i don't think I should assume that risk. If the oil starvation caused such damage to the engine there is equal chance the turbo has run without oil. Even if the turbos show no current damage, there is a possibility that these turbos fail few thousand miles later.
If they do NOT total the car insist the insurance pay for the recommended repairs from the BMW service dept. This is where having a good insurance company comes in handy. In Texas we have the right to take the car wherever we want to complete repairs so obviously I would take it to a good dealership and I’ve never had an issue with my insurance company pushing back on what my dealership recommends.

The dealership has no burden of proof because they are the experts, these cars are much more advanced than they were even a few years ago and the BMW techs know better than anyone would. It’s the insurance company that has the burden of proof to define why a repair that BMW recommends is not eligible under your policy. Push back on them if they try this and remind them that the initial estimate was done prior to getting them involved and has nothing to do with inflating the bill, but simply to ensure the car is repaired to its previous state and up to BMW standards of performance.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5994.50
      12-23-2023, 03:01 PM   #366
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2

Quote:
This is exactly the design I had in my mind. Still allowing air to flow horizontally and touch the fins but restricts any flying object from getting into to direct contact with the cooler at an angle. I would have liked it made with some metal

The cold air (cyna) will flow parallel to the oil cooler via a small sleeve opening(meshed may be) in the front, the exit of hot air happens via rear facing vents. This will also allow the air passing through the cooler from top to bottom.
Appreciate 1
Tag18447.00
      12-23-2023, 03:04 PM   #367
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
The cold air (cyna) will flow parallel to the oil cooler via a small sleeve opening(meshed may be) in the front, the exit of hot air happens via rear facing vents. This will also allow the air passing through the cooler from top to bottom.
I like this design as well. Only downside I can think of is it would protrude down a bit farther than a mesh design.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5994.50
      12-23-2023, 03:08 PM   #368
sacowich
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6sp

I had a Mishimoto on an F80 for years, and have had it on G87 for a while now.
It’s a peace of mind thing, same as upgrading charge pipes from stock rubber/plastic.
Are they perfect? Probably not, but it’s just about decreasing probability of expensive or catastrophic damage.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5994.50
      12-23-2023, 03:12 PM   #369
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I like this design as well. Only downside I can think of is it would protrude down a bit farther than a mesh design.
Exactly, you are going to loose about an inch of ground clearance. One of the reasons I agree with M2siast on not liking the carbon fiber for this, you are likely to take more impacts and CF is more likely to fracture than a metal one.
M2siast5994.50
      12-23-2023, 09:08 PM   #370
turnsignalslol
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Does anyone have a discount code for Mishimoto? Or know when they have sales?

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 1
MrTiger57.00
      12-23-2023, 09:56 PM   #371
CadolinaRipr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Added my Zunsport today. I honestly think it’s decent. Common road debris should be fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Trogster472.50
M2siast5994.50
Tag18447.00
DSTR1284.50
clydefrog288.50
BMR.WRLD311.00
Mr. Hankey1172.50
      12-23-2023, 10:27 PM   #372
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
Does anyone have a discount code for Mishimoto? Or know when they have sales?
Only the 5% off

5OFF
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2023, 10:49 PM   #373
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Only the 5% off

5OFF

Yeah, that should pop up when you go to their site.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 07:13 AM   #374
Ointment0440
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru Legacy, G87 M2

Quote:
I slept on it. I bought the Mishimoto skid plate just now, waiting for it to ship.

My rationale (Baller helped me remember how bad things can get, thank you very much man! Of course others were very helpful too, it’s just that he hit it where it hurts):

I drive in any condition. I know deep snow is heavy stuff. I’ve had front coolers just blocked by it, but I’ve had to replace the bottom plastic pieces on all my cars (including an X3), for driving in snow too deep and bottoming out the car (including getting stuck because of it).

As I mentioned before, it’s not just about the cooler, but the plastic pieces will crack and sometimes if the rock is bad enough, the plate will hang loose and hit the ground. Those original parts are more expensive than the metal aftermarket, from memory (I paid $1,000 to get my bottom plastic pieces shipped from Schmiedmann for my 135i).
When I sold the 135i, it was cracked again!

If it happens to the plate, it could happen to the cooler.

So if you don’t drive it in deep snow (as you know I go skiing), or let the car hibernate during winter, maybe you don’t have to worry about it (look at my cooler, it’s brand new after 9,000 km).

Since I’ll be off-roading this car to ski, I got the metal plate for when it bottoms out.

Is it a design flaw? Up to you to decide. I am still not certain about that. I just think they expect people to be careful and not off-road this car. Screw that.
Did you buy directly from Mishimoto? I got an email the day after I ordered saying it's backordered 8-10 weeks at this point.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5994.50