12-06-2021, 12:52 AM   #111
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumizi206 View Post
M2 is a better enthusiast car and m240i Xdrive is a better daily for most people.

Having faster acceleration doesnt make a car the better sports car. Look at 911 turbo vs GT3.
Believe it or not, outside of this forum, obviously 🙄, not everyone lives their life a quarter mile at a time..

A majority of consumers just want a capable daily driver, that maybe has some balls, a not a "sports" or track car…
Appreciate 3
      12-06-2021, 01:07 AM   #112
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
M2 is a better enthusiast car and m240i Xdrive is a better daily for most people.

Having faster acceleration doesnt make a car the better sports car. Look at 911 turbo vs GT3.
Believe it or not, outside of this forum, obviously 🙄, not everyone lives their life a quarter mile at a time..

A majority of consumers just want a capable daily driver, that maybe has some balls, a not a "sports" or track car…
The type of driver who buys a commuter car "with balls" are the ones I stay the hell away from.

Nothing like a Civic or Camry doing 90-100 and weaving in and out of traffic lol
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
jmase248301.50
      12-06-2021, 01:08 AM   #113
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em240eye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
So, if the new M240 had just been named the 240 would there have been as much uproar?
They'd have to remove their precious mirrors too.
why would they give this car the xdrive
Because that's what moves units in the US..

BMW M235i is Faster On Track Than 1M Coupe (Our 2 Series Interview From Detroit) https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935130
I feel like a celebrity who got half his quote ripped off to be taken completely out of context…

I said why would they give this car xdrive and not the new M2? That's what all the forum members are saying. Every car in bmw had xdrive so that's not a shocker to me (2/3/4/5/7/8)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:13 AM   #114
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giom View Post
I guess the reason there is so much less space at the back is because the entire green house is smaller. For once, at BMW, form doesn't follow function, it seems.
I wonder if the interior space in general is smaller than the previous generation or if they sacrificed space in the back to add more in the front…
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:18 AM   #115
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The type of driver who buys a commuter car "with balls" are the ones I stay the hell away from.

Nothing like a Civic or Camry doing 90-100 and weaving in and out of traffic lol
Or a Nissan Altima or Dodge Charger, or that guy in the grocery-getting minivan who believes he's Jeff Gordon on the expressway..

It's all about perspective..

Every car has that "type" labeled to it, 'cause cars are a good mechanism to pigeonhole types of people.

I was just saying, very, very few folks outside of this echo chamber knows or cares what an official "M" car entails. They just want a decent BMW that could satisfy their every need or work within their set budget..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:25 AM   #116
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em240eye View Post
Quote:
So, if the new M240 had just been named the 240 would there have been as much uproar?
They'd have to remove their precious mirrors too.
why would they give this car the xdrive
Because that's what moves units in the US..

BMW M235i is Faster On Track Than 1M Coupe (Our 2 Series Interview From Detroit) https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935130
I feel like a celebrity who got half his quote ripped off to be taken completely out of context…

I said why would they give this car xdrive and not the new M2? That's what all the forum members are saying. Every car in bmw had xdrive so that's not a shocker to me (2/3/4/5/7/8)
Oh, my bad, that wasn't my intention..

Who says the next M2 won't have an AWD option?

If it's not in the original launch, it will certainly be offered as incentive in the LCI model. 'Cause like I said, there is a heavy demand for it in the US market.

The M Xdrive in the M vehicles is way more complicated than the system in the standard models. I'll save you the nerdy explanation, unless you really want it.

It comes down to marketing, cost, and complication. But you better believe as the economics of scales brings down the price to profit for the hardware, it will eventually trickle down to the G87's offering.
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23648.00
      12-06-2021, 01:56 AM   #117
Giom
Private
Rep
Drives: renault fluance

Quote:
I wonder if the interior space in general is smaller than the previous generation or if they sacrificed space in the back to add more in the front…
It's possible, but seeing the two cars next to each other, the G42 looks visibly smaller, at least, to me it does. Also, they might have pushed the whole greenhouse back to establish that long bonnet look.

Overall, I think the proportions are much closer to that of a sports car compared to the older model. And I like.
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23648.00
      12-06-2021, 01:59 AM   #118
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
@Poochie

It's okay. Thank you for noticing.

It was said by forum members on the either the M2 forum or where they talk about new upcoming M cars. They were saying it was pretty much confirmed without being confirmed officially.

It also seems like a good way to keep the M2 as the baby M car. Strip it of the AWD to keep it from being the best M car on the market (imo).

For me, it's xdrive or nothing. I'm a major fan of the xdrive and it might push me towards the M3 if it's not available. I might wait until the LCI like you mentioned because we know BMW always has a few tricks up it's sleeve. Or like they did with the M3/4, waiting an extra year before releasing it.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
MrFoxy376.50
      12-06-2021, 02:48 AM   #119
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

As a M2C owner all I wanna say is that I can't wait for the next M2C and CS.

This is a weird comparison.
The last M2 was never a true M car and N55 is dated now.

The F87 M2C is more engaging, sensational and thrilling to drive. It's always on the edge and not everyone's cup of tea, in other words it has a personality. You buy an M car for that.

This new 2 series is fast but apparently lacks the drama of a true M car which will be seen in the next M2 iteration, like I said can't wait now!!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:09 AM   #120
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giom View Post
I guess the reason there is so much less space at the back is because the entire green house is smaller. For once, at BMW, form doesn't follow function, it seems.
Having sat in the G42 I don't think the greenhouse is smaller, I'd say it's the same size as F22. It does feel like they have given the front a little more of the space, but without actually feeling like it has (bigger dashboard and centre console), but the biggest factor to the small rear seat area is the size of the G series seats. There is no legroom in the back if front seat is set anywhere close to the last few clicks, no person of any size could sit there.

Shame that a car with a longer wheelbase actually has a less usable cabin than its predecessor. There is no doubt why TH picked up on this, because it sticks out like a sore thumb. Did to me when I first saw a G42 in the metal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-06-2021, 05:17 AM   #121
spree
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Can someone confirm the rear seat difference? Everything I've read is that it's essentially the same.

Maybe that's just leg room and not head room? Regardless it cannot be worse than my RSX. I would just want the rear as an absolute emergency option for short distances for small people.
See article below - apparently its down 2.3 inches of rear headroom!

With 38.1 inches of headroom and 41.8 inches of legroom, the front row is reasonably spacious for most folks, though the narrow sport seats felt a bit confining after an hour or two. The rear is another story altogether. As with most coupes, legroom is tight at 32.2 inches, and headroom goes down to 34.7 ticks of the tape, a reduction of 2.3 inches relative to the outgoing two-door. It seems BMW would prefer you select the mechanically unrelated, front-drive-biased 2 Series Gran Coupe if you've got passengers to haul around.

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/54838...rst-drive/amp/
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 06:27 AM   #122
Polot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i, Volvo S60

Quote:
Originally Posted by spree View Post

With 38.1 inches of headroom and 41.8 inches of legroom, the front row is reasonably spacious for most folks, though the narrow sport seats felt a bit confining after an hour or two. The rear is another story altogether. As with most coupes, legroom is tight at 32.2 inches, and headroom goes down to 34.7 ticks of the tape, a reduction of 2.3 inches relative to the outgoing two-door. It seems BMW would prefer you select the mechanically unrelated, front-drive-biased 2 Series Gran Coupe if you've got passengers to haul around.

That’s basically what it comes down to. When the F22 was designed there was no Gran Coupe, so there was pressure to make sure advertised back seat specs were similar to the A3 and CLA (closest rivals in terms of price point), even if in reality the backseat was always less practical since the BMW is a coupe. With the G42 that pressure is gone thanks to the unrelated Gran Coupe, so back space could be squeezed to fit desired styling or sportiness. Let’s be honest, most coupe buyers don’t care about the back seat room-that is why they are buying a coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #123
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
I think it is a very very nice BMW if you want a « small » car with good ergonomic and with a 6 inline. xDrive is a big plus for this type of daily
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #124
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Can someone confirm the rear seat difference? Everything I've read is that it's essentially the same.

Maybe that's just leg room and not head room? Regardless it cannot be worse than my RSX. I would just want the rear as an absolute emergency option for short distances for small people.

Quote:
Quote:

The 1 Serie F40 is an amazing small euro family car too. It is very roomy with nice ergonomic and if you want good performances the M135i is quite fast. I like this car more than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #125
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Mustang GT Vert 5-speed

I could care less about the back seat, same on our Mustang GT, We have a SUV to use as needed for hauling friends or cargo... ha-ha

'08 Mustang GT Vert w/5 speed manual
Past:325ci, 330ci (my favorite) & 2018 230i; '79 Vette (owned 13 yrs.)
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy376.50
      12-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #126
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Here is a link to Alex on Autos where he sits in the backseats and talks about back seat room in the 2022 230:

Start at the 5:10 mark.

Seems to be what one would expect for a small, 2-door, sports coupe. He also says its bigger/has more room than the previous model.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:36 AM   #127
farns2345
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Give me a break.

The "non" M2 destroyed the M2 to 60mph. I mean it wasn't even close. And it also bested the M2 by a good margin in the roll. And the M2 owner then says the M2 puts a smile on his face – well he wasn't smiling after those two races was he? He even says, "come on BMW why are you making non-M cars with that much power!" You'll notice the M240i driver is smiling ear-to-ear. Did the weight matter in those races? Embarrassing is right.

I test-drove an M240i on suburban Philadelphia roads (which are never the best here in the northeast) with the suspension in comfort and everything else in sport and it was fine. I thought the ride quality was as good or better than my 330i with a fixed suspension and it never felt the least bit "jittery". The term "jittery" never once entered my mind. As a matter of fact, it felt pretty darn good. The M240i was surprisingly easy to drive: power of course, brakes good and easy to modulate, steering sharp and tight and ride quality sporty as expected but fine over suburban roads and the seats are very comfortable. Bring that fixed suspension M2 down here on these roads and we'll see just how "jittery" that car is. No other reviewer has mentioned a jittery ride.

And no one is buying an M240i with the expectation of putting 2 adults in the back and driving long distances, any more than they would with a Mustang GT; kid-less adults or families with multiple cars are the demographic.

To me, the review (or more rightly the "comparison") sounded like they were looking for things that made the M2 the better choice, maybe because one of the reviewers just bought one. If it just comes down to the M2 having more backseat room and less weight, I'll stick with the M240i all day long.

All IMO of course – just like their "review".

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Give me a break.

The "non" M2 destroyed the M2 to 60mph. I mean it wasn't even close. And it also bested the M2 by a good margin in the roll. And the M2 owner then says the M2 puts a smile on his face – well he wasn't smiling after those two races was he? He even says, "come on BMW why are you making non-M cars with that much power!" You'll notice the M240i driver is smiling ear-to-ear. Did the weight matter in those races? Embarrassing is right.

I test-drove an M240i on suburban Philadelphia roads (which are never the best here in the northeast) with the suspension in comfort and everything else in sport and it was fine. I thought the ride quality was as good or better than my 330i with a fixed suspension and it never felt the least bit "jittery". The term "jittery" never once entered my mind. As a matter of fact, it felt pretty darn good. The M240i was surprisingly easy to drive: power of course, brakes good and easy to modulate, steering sharp and tight and ride quality sporty as expected but fine over suburban roads and the seats are very comfortable. Bring that fixed suspension M2 down here on these roads and we'll see just how "jittery" that car is. No other reviewer has mentioned a jittery ride.

And no one is buying an M240i with the expectation of putting 2 adults in the back and driving long distances, any more than they would with a Mustang GT; kid-less adults or families with multiple cars are the demographic.

To me, the review (or more rightly the "comparison") sounded like they were looking for things that made the M2 the better choice, maybe because one of the reviewers just bought one. If it just comes down to the M2 having more backseat room and less weight, I'll stick with the M240i all day long.

All IMO of course – just like their "review".

Bob
Can't help but feel after reading this comment that you're in the camp of 0-60 is everything and weight doesn't matter. To each their own though.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #128
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

My favorite part is reading that the M2 is not a real M car
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
MrFoxy376.50
      12-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #129
gp_solo2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I have mixed feelings about this review. I really like TH guys and even though an M240 is not a full " M " car every generation bring the lighter M closer to their previous gen full M versions so I do appreciate these comparisons. I do feel that it was more of a review and praise of the OG M2 he just purchased and I would have preferred a full M240 review like they usually do.

At the end what I am taking away from this video is that they feel the OG M2 is a better 50k car vs the M240…but this is based on their specific criteria which are not ones everybody shares. I am a track oriented guy and cross shopped an M2C with the G42 M240 and decided to go with the M240 at the end for many reasons. If I was looking only for a pure & only track car my decision would have been different but that doesn't mean the M240 wouldn't have been a great car.

The G42 M240 is an impressive car for what it is and this did not transpired at all from their review just because they were too much focus around Thomas new purchase.
Appreciate 1
SN1P3211.50
      12-06-2021, 12:43 PM   #130
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
My favorite part is reading that the M2 is not a real M car
I don't know where ignorant people get that from… it's so bizarre lol
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #131
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
I rewatched the Alex on Autos video and he says the M240 is a mild hybrid? I thought the M240 did not have any form of mild hybrid, that was only the M340 and M440?.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #132
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I rewatched the Alex on Autos video and he says the M240 is a mild hybrid? I thought the M240 did not have any form of mild hybrid, that was only the M340 and M440?.
He's mistaken, the M240i doesn't have "eBoost"..
Appreciate 0