home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

06-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #1
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

My order regrets - don't make the same mistake I did

I placed the order for my m240i last December. It arrived in April, and I love the car. Well worth the wait and various delays - I was originally quoted Feb arrival, then march, then April 1st, I was driving her home.

However, with that being said, if I could it all again, I would change these 3 things.

1) I would have checked the box for the HK radio. My client advisor told me I couldn't order even though it showed you could. From what I understand, that was incorrect, and I could have spec'd it with it. BMW would have deleted it for me if it wasn't going to be available. Choose that option!

2) I would have went with the "cooling and high performance tire package". From what I understand, this actually comes with larger brakes and the brakes are my least favorite part of the car - they are fine but I like my brakes to be more aggressive.

3) I would have chosen the cogac over the tacora red. This is just personal preference. While the tacora red is a great interior, I could have been happier with the cognac and the cost savings.

The rest of the car is absolutely fantastic. I feel this car punches well above its weight/cost. I couldn't be happier to have this as my daily driver.
Appreciate 3
yanks1484.00
MrFoxy376.50
      06-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

What exterior color do you have? IMO, white or brooklyn grey with the TR interior is the best combo, especially when paired with red calipers, that's just me though.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
M-System
Private
Rep
Drives: E28, G42

Agree 100% on the HK audio. While it isn’t anything to write home about, especially in the 2 series, it is leagues better than the standard system, which is really unacceptable trash.
Appreciate 1
Jashue190.50
      06-18-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

I miss the days of replaceable sound systems. Even in my former 2011 Mustang and 2015 Challenger, I was able to replace the speakers, add subs and amplifiers / equalizers etc. Granted, head units were too far integrated to mess with

I wouldn't mess with even tapping the speaker wire in these for gear of throwing a code. I have the HK in my order so hoping it is as good as what I have now in my G70 or the B&O in my A5 but from what I've read it will be inferior
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:46 AM   #5
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

g42m240
I also was critical of the brakes when i first got the car. Now they seem "normal", perhaps i got used to em or they needed break in. I did do some aggressive breaking to really heat them up and they seem better. Also i believe the actual braking performance relative to stopping distance is on par with other cars of this weight. I think it is more a matter of brake feel and pedal travel with this car. Different pads could give a more aggressive initial bite that i felt was lacking. But frankly i have full confidence in these standard non-performance brakes and did do a track day with em.

You can explore upgrades to the sound system, i think there are some bimmertech links that do address upgrading from your current stock system with plug and play components. I'm sure some folks have done it, and some have upgraded from the HK system as well, definitely a DIYer.

Interior: i did get the cognac and love it...sorry.
Appreciate 1
eddj464.50
      06-18-2022, 02:09 PM   #6
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
I miss the days of replaceable sound systems. Even in my former 2011 Mustang and 2015 Challenger, I was able to replace the speakers, add subs and amplifiers / equalizers etc. Granted, head units were too far integrated to mess with

I wouldn't mess with even tapping the speaker wire in these for gear of throwing a code. I have the HK in my order so hoping it is as good as what I have now in my G70 or the B&O in my A5 but from what I've read it will be inferior
Bavsound will probably end up with a system soon (or perhaps the G20 will work). I had a RS3 and a S4 and the B&O sound system isn't as good as the HK in the 240, IMHO. You could argue that the highs were a little brighter in the B&O but the bass and mids left a lot to be desired. The S4 was worse than the RS3 - a lot of buzzing. I'm not sure if the build quality was just a little suspect or what.

If you do get the HK system then get Bimmercode and code in the Sound Profiles. You can mess around with the equalizer too to dial things in a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 03:05 PM   #7
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
What exterior color do you have? IMO, white or brooklyn grey with the TR interior is the best combo, especially when paired with red calipers, that's just me though.
I have brooklyn grey, and I love the exterior color.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 07:58 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Built my 230i with the big brakes but bought a car off the lot with the standard brakes.

Standard brakes are just fine based on my experience. Unless one road course tracks the car and bigger brakes might better deal with the extra heat at all other times bigger brakes just add unsprung weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 08:29 AM   #9
Jonesymx29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M240i xDrive

I sat in an 330i that had the PB/cognac combo and I really liked it, but, I ended up going w/ the black/blue contrast vernasca. Wish we got the m-style seatbelts as well...

I held off on the ZTK package because I don't plan on tracking this car, though I wonder if it'd be worth it to go with a sensatec seat and add the ZTK, if for nothing else, the PS4S's from the factory? I've not had good experiences with Pirelli tires in the past.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 08:42 AM   #10
MillieMiglia
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesymx29 View Post
I sat in an 330i that had the PB/cognac combo and I really liked it, but, I ended up going w/ the black/blue contrast vernasca. Wish we got the m-style seatbelts as well...

I held off on the ZTK package because I don't plan on tracking this car, though I wonder if it'd be worth it to go with a sensatec seat and add the ZTK, if for nothing else, the PS4S's from the factory? I've not had good experiences with Pirelli tires in the past.
I went with sensatec because the manmade stuff is more durable and easier to care for. My other half has "MBTEX" (Mercedes equivalent to Sensatec) in the Benz and it still looks pretty new after 4 years. We've done very little maintenance, just wiping it down every couple of months

For me, the 893M wheels were enough to check the box for the ZTK pack. It really changes the car's stance. The Michelin PS4S tires are a big bonus. I'm not fond of Pirellis either. I had PZero run flats on my 435i. They were definitely a softer compound and did not wear very well.

Last edited by MillieMiglia; 06-20-2022 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #11
Jonesymx29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M240i xDrive

Definitely something I'm going to ponder this week! I appreciate the insight!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:25 PM   #12
datalist
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-System View Post
Agree 100% on the HK audio. While it isn’t anything to write home about, especially in the 2 series, it is leagues better than the standard system, which is really unacceptable trash.
from a non-audiophile, the base system is fine
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 10:10 AM   #13
M-System
Private
Rep
Drives: E28, G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSuchSol View Post
Bavsound will probably end up with a system soon (or perhaps the G20 will work). I had a RS3 and a S4 and the B&O sound system isn't as good as the HK in the 240, IMHO. You could argue that the highs were a little brighter in the B&O but the bass and mids left a lot to be desired. The S4 was worse than the RS3 - a lot of buzzing. I'm not sure if the build quality was just a little suspect or what.

If you do get the HK system then get Bimmercode and code in the Sound Profiles. You can mess around with the equalizer too to dial things in a bit more.
The current Bavsound upgrade for the 3 series applies to the 2 series as well, but the non-HK standard system has 2 less speakers and tweeters, so you buy the bavsound upgrade A la carte. Although you’re not going to get an increase in volume (would require amp upgrade), you will get improved sound quality and bass.
And you don’t have to be an audiophile to realize the standard system in the 2 series is NOT “fine”.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 10:14 AM   #14
MillieMiglia
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i XDrive

Quote:
The current Bavsound upgrade for the 3 series applies to the 2 series as well, but the non-HK standard system has 2 less speakers, so you buy the bavsound upgrade A la carte. Although you’re not going to get an increase in volume (would require amp upgrade), you will get improved sound quality and bass. And you don’t have to be an audiophile to realize the standard system in the 2 series is NOT “fine”.
The base system sucks. Always go for the HK. The HK is not perfect but its waaaaaaay better than the base system.

For those interested, here's a you tuber reviewing the HK system in the M240i.

https://youtu.be/knU1AfiEESU
Appreciate 1
yanks1484.00
      06-23-2022, 06:57 AM   #15
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The current Bavsound upgrade for the 3 series applies to the 2 series as well, but the non-HK standard system has 2 less speakers and tweeters, so you buy the bavsound upgrade A la carte. Although you’re not going to get an increase in volume (would require amp upgrade), you will get improved sound quality and bass.
And you don’t have to be an audiophile to realize the standard system in the 2 series is NOT “fine”.
Thanks for weighing in with this. I hadn't heard of Bavsound before but it looks to be a worthwhile upgrade. Incredibly frustrating how clueless CA are when spec-ing a vehicle.

I had to tell them how to add the adaptive cruise (thanks to this forum). I should have forced their hand to select HK.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 12:57 PM   #16
Jashue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 B58 G42

I had the stock system of my F22 M240 upgraded to BavSound, and I can concur that it's a huge improvement.

I have the HK system on my G42, and I was pretty unimpressed out of the gate. After fiddling with the equalizer though, I find it to be actually pretty terrific. It's strange... I typically use flat equalization as I'd just as soon listen to the music as the artist intended (without boosting or reducing elements of the music), but a good smiley face curve does wonders to increase depth in this car.
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
MPR1812.50