BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

10-22-2023, 09:54 PM   #243
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Yeah, the '23 feels different than previous BMWs I've been in. I think that was when the change was made. I doubt they changed anything for '24.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3637.00
M2siast5877.50
      10-22-2023, 10:27 PM   #244
shehatezme
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Just picked up my g87 6mt yesterday and put on 60 miles since. Overall the shifter and clutch engagement is better than my expectation but no where near the precision of my s2000. I think g87 manual is super easy to drive everything is a little bit lighter.
Appreciate 1
baron951703.50
      10-23-2023, 12:49 AM   #245
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shehatezme View Post
I think g87 manual is super easy to drive everything is a little bit lighter.
I agree. When I drove the M6 G87 I thought it was very easy to drive smoothly on the street and parking lots, etc. I felt immediately at home.

I have a little pain in my heart but I ended up ordering the A8. I'm coming from a NA, high-torque Tremec, no-lift-shift, Camaro SS1LE, and was afraid it would be a bit of a let down with the turbo dropping out in between shifts, that need to be done a bit slower.

I was really on the fence. But once I learned that with the M6 you have no digital key, no remote start, etc. I punched the A8.

But I really think the M6 is more fun on the fun street drives and occasional track day.
      10-23-2023, 01:12 AM   #246
shehatezme
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
I agree. When I drove the M6 G87 I thought it was very easy to drive smoothly on the street and parking lots, etc. I felt immediately at home.

I have a little pain in my heart but I ended up ordering the A8. I'm coming from a NA, high-torque Tremec, no-lift-shift, Camaro SS1LE, and was afraid it would be a bit of a let down with the turbo dropping out in between shifts, that need to be done a bit slower.

I was really on the fence. But once I learned that with the M6 you have no digital key, no remote start, etc. I punched the A8.

But I really think the M6 is more fun on the fun street drives and occasional track day.
Depends on use case. The g87 is my 4th car and will not be my daily so I think the 6 speed is the only way to go. I would go A8 if I need to commute stop and go every day.
Appreciate 1
baron951703.50
      10-24-2023, 03:46 AM   #247
Reesnat
Private
India
Rep

Some of the comments here suggesting manual or die or only real drivers drive manual is so passe.

There is a lot to be said about engagement with the engine (and not just engaging with the pedals). The Auto engages the S58 a ton better than the manual does thanks to its shorter gearing. This is important for modern high horsepower cars. Not to mention once you start tuning, the auto becomes even more capable and allows more headroom.

The longer gearing in the manual really blunts the engine off it’s full capability.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 07:28 AM   #248
El SID
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
Some of the comments here suggesting manual or die or only real drivers drive manual is so passe.

There is a lot to be said about engagement with the engine (and not just engaging with the pedals). The Auto engages the S58 a ton better than the manual does thanks to its shorter gearing. This is important for modern high horsepower cars. Not to mention once you start tuning, the auto becomes even more capable and allows more headroom.

The longer gearing in the manual really blunts the engine off it’s full capability.
Have you driven the G87 manual? 😀
Appreciate 4
baj_baj182.50
aerobod3637.00
Geighty71406.00
      10-24-2023, 07:42 AM   #249
jay1k2
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 BG G87 M2

If you love rowing through the gears, I don't think the manual is going to let you down. I was tempted to go auto because everyone says how much better it is with the S58 and I'm sure it's great, but I do not regret going with the MT. The car is plenty fast with the MT. It's no porsche gearbox...not even anywhere as good as a miata or brz I've driven recently, but it does the job.
Appreciate 3
apez649.50
      10-24-2023, 07:43 AM   #250
Reesnat
Private
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El SID View Post
Have you driven the G87 manual? 😀
Not yet, but the facts don't change (6 gears vs 8). I drove the manual Cayman GT4 and then the PDK GTS, the manual GT4 with its massively long gears was not doing justice to the engine (as incredible as it was), in my opinion (and many, many others).

The same has been said by just about every person who has driven the manual vs auto on the G87 too, so its relatable.

If working the pedals is your thing, great go for it. But that is not the best pairing for the engine or to extract the most from it, that's all I am trying to say.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 08:20 AM   #251
MMMGuy60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23M2,Tesla M3,Triumph 765R

None of the advantage of the automatic matters because the manual is more fun to drive for the manual enthusiast. I have never driven a torque converter automatic that I like. I actually like the longer gears. For most cars, I have to be in 6th gear on the highway but the M2, I can use 4th, 5th or 6th on the highway.
Appreciate 2
dagoban152.50
      10-24-2023, 09:02 AM   #252
DeadlyDrop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Just picked up 6MT G87 last Monday ~300 miles in now.

Couple thoughts about manual transmission if anyone wants additional information.

I do think this manual transmission transmit more feedback to the driver. It makes good gear noise, and to my surprise there were quite a bit of buzzing and vibration as load increased. Throw feels shorter than my previous 135i and although actuation is not like mechanical feel of rx8, miata or s2000 level (I was lucky enough to own all of them long term) it still is decent and gears slot in pretty nicely especially when performing diagonal upshift (2->3/4->5) it will be hard to miss shift on upshift with this transmission.

First to second shift I am still getting used to. If you want to shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd it looks like you either rev past 4k and shift or just shift as soon as car starts moving like <10 mph. Rest of gears are fine.

I am not sure if I agree with couple post above, stating manual is geared long and not as engaging as auto. I agree auto suits better to this car and will extract every bit of performance, but from engagement point I have to give manual a point. Its not the best manual in the world, but I would say it is far better than some reviewers make it out. Whole lot more feedback, especially as revs get higher and quite a bit of gear noise. Honestly I was pleasantly surprised!

I did not find manual's gearing bothersome. Around here we drive at 75-80 mph and I am revving ~3k rpm comfortably on 6th gear. I can overtake easy without any shifting. S58 likes to rev and surge/build of torque starting around 3k rpm really makes shifting and overtaking satisfying haha.

Do find hill assist bit aggressive, prevents me from launching smoothly. I also love auto rev match. It is smart enough to know when I manually rev match so its not very intrusive. If feeling lazy you can let computer do it and its always spot on. Best of both world.

If you are reading this and really on the fence give a manual serious consideration. The experience somewhat offsets the downside of missing some of the options that come with auto transmission.
Appreciate 5
jay1k281.00
kamichael337.00
dagoban152.50
      10-24-2023, 09:18 AM   #253
Cj1
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2, 2023 Lexus IS 500

Went with the auto. I've had several different brands with the ZF 8 speed and I've enjoyed them all. I especially like the shift logic in BMWs. The M2 is my dailey and the wife drives it. Dont have to worry about money shifts. Reviews like Throttlehouse, carwow, ect., have said the ZF also wakes the car up a bit more. Lastly, I have a bad back which affects my left leg and if I use my left leg to modulate the clutch it makes my back worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 09:22 AM   #254
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1k2 View Post
I was originally going manual but now I can't decide. I just had a manual GT4 which is probably one the of best manuals out there and don't want to be disappointed with a rubbery BMW manual. I had the ZF in the Supra. It's no DCT but still pretty good. Still on the fence.
Exactly why I got the 8AT. I feel BMW spent more time making it properly fit the character of the vehicle vs the 6MT they used unlike Porsche's manuals.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 09:53 AM   #255
tommycr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosoar View Post
So, what do you MT guys do in traffic, just suck it up?
When you drive a MT long enough shifting becomes second nature and you don’t even realizing you are doing it. I have never once complained being in traffic and constantly having to shift.
Appreciate 5
aerobod3637.00
dagoban152.50
clydefrog288.50
      10-24-2023, 10:00 AM   #256
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Not yet, but the facts don't change (6 gears vs 8). I drove the manual Cayman GT4 and then the PDK GTS, the manual GT4 with its massively long gears was not doing justice to the engine (as incredible as it was), in my opinion (and many, many others).

The same has been said by just about every person who has driven the manual vs auto on the G87 too, so its relatable.

If working the pedals is your thing, great go for it. But that is not the best pairing for the engine or to extract the most from it, that's all I am trying to say.
You will get a lot more out of an i4 M50, if ultimate acceleration in a current BMW is your goal. I've driven it on a an auto-x course together with the M2 auto, it is noticeably quicker accelerating. The M2 manual is more fun than both of them, in my opinion.
Appreciate 3
      10-24-2023, 10:11 AM   #257
Reesnat
Private
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
You will get a lot more out of an i4 M50, if ultimate acceleration in a current BMW is your goal. I've driven it on a track together with the M2 auto, it is noticeably quicker accelerating. The M2 manual is more fun than both of them, in my opinion.

I never said I want ultimate acceleration. If anything, straight line acceleration is lower down in my list of my priorities. I track my cars regularly including the F87Comp which I had for 3 years, so I know what I want from this car.

I said engagement. I went with an auto as I intend to track this car regularly as well. Engagement isn’t only changing gears using a stick.

For me getting the most of the car = getting the most dynamically as well as from the engine. This the auto does best.

In the future I intend to build on the platform - again both on the dynamics front (chassis/suspension etc) and some additional power.

So for all of my needs and for extracting the most out of this platform, the auto seems like the best bet.

Talking about acceleration, some folk earlier in the thread said they would have gotten the M240i if they wanted an auto. I think this completely misses the point of the M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 10:31 AM   #258
Lagunatic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 BGM

I’ve really only ever driven with my hand on the knob so I don’t have many options.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 10:31 AM   #259
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
I said engagement. I went with an auto as I intend to track this car regularly as well. Engagement isn’t only changing gears using a stick.

For me getting the most of the car = getting the most dynamically as well as from the engine. This the auto does best.
I don't agree at all. Having driven both auto and manual (with the auto on track), the manual provides better engagement and the number of gears don't matter due to the torque coverage when the track speed is about 80km/h at the slowest corners and 250km/h at the fastest on the straights, it is gears 2/3/4/5 in the manual and 3/4/5/6 in the auto (as 2 is too low geared and 7 too high geared for most tracks). The manual can be smoother changing when properly heel-toed on the downshift under heavy braking, so is can be more satisfying and less unsettling than the auto, too, leading to better engagement.

Also, at higher speeds the manual transmission loses will be slightly less than the auto loses, it is just going to be optimum one gear lower in most places and may actually have better acceleration in some places, as the only gearing advantage the auto has with the lower 1st and 2nd gear is below the typical minimum track cornering speed.
Appreciate 2
dagoban152.50
      10-24-2023, 10:32 AM   #260
islandfalconer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Manual transmission in a sports car is just the natural fit. That being said if I lived in Toronto, or LA or NY or Montreal where I was in tragic a lot, the auto would be my choice.

The reason my wife went with a manual had to do with, A Where we live and the lack of traffic B this is the last 3 pedal ICE M series car.

That being said, electric cars can and IMO should have manual gearboxes as an option. With an electric motor you could theoretically have a leave it in gear 1:1 option, or the option to shift it for the fun/enthisiasm of driving.

Cars don’t need to be electric and boring. There’s just no old school engineers and designers involved anymore. We have MIT Grads designing rolling computers.

What we need is gearheads to design an electric sports car.

I’d love to strap an electric motor to the gearbox of a 911 and shove the battery up front and get near 50/50 weight distribution with all the fun of instant torque and HP

But I’m way off topic here.

Manual in a sports car Yes
Auto in a sports car in a big city with stop and go 2 hour traffic jams.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 10:58 AM   #261
MMMGuy60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23M2,Tesla M3,Triumph 765R

The trick to get a smooth 1st to 2nd is by slipping the clutch a little, the same way you slip the clutch to get moving in 1st. This is how most manual cars are. Once you learn that, 1st to 2nd can be butter smooth and wont hurt the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyDrop View Post
Just picked up 6MT G87 last Monday ~300 miles in now.

Couple thoughts about manual transmission if anyone wants additional information.

I do think this manual transmission transmit more feedback to the driver. It makes good gear noise, and to my surprise there were quite a bit of buzzing and vibration as load increased. Throw feels shorter than my previous 135i and although actuation is not like mechanical feel of rx8, miata or s2000 level (I was lucky enough to own all of them long term) it still is decent and gears slot in pretty nicely especially when performing diagonal upshift (2->3/4->5) it will be hard to miss shift on upshift with this transmission.

First to second shift I am still getting used to. If you want to shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd it looks like you either rev past 4k and shift or just shift as soon as car starts moving like <10 mph. Rest of gears are fine.

I am not sure if I agree with couple post above, stating manual is geared long and not as engaging as auto. I agree auto suits better to this car and will extract every bit of performance, but from engagement point I have to give manual a point. Its not the best manual in the world, but I would say it is far better than some reviewers make it out. Whole lot more feedback, especially as revs get higher and quite a bit of gear noise. Honestly I was pleasantly surprised!

I did not find manual's gearing bothersome. Around here we drive at 75-80 mph and I am revving ~3k rpm comfortably on 6th gear. I can overtake easy without any shifting. S58 likes to rev and surge/build of torque starting around 3k rpm really makes shifting and overtaking satisfying haha.

Do find hill assist bit aggressive, prevents me from launching smoothly. I also love auto rev match. It is smart enough to know when I manually rev match so its not very intrusive. If feeling lazy you can let computer do it and its always spot on. Best of both world.

If you are reading this and really on the fence give a manual serious consideration. The experience somewhat offsets the downside of missing some of the options that come with auto transmission.
Appreciate 2
      10-24-2023, 11:08 AM   #262
Reesnat
Private
India
Rep

Quote:
I don't agree at all. Having driven both auto and manual (with the auto on track), the manual provides better engagement and the number of gears don't matter due to the torque coverage when the track speed is about 80km/h at the slowest corners and 250km/h at the fastest on the straights, it is gears 2/3/4/5 in the manual and 3/4/5/6 in the auto (as 2 is too low geared and 7 too high geared for most tracks). The manual can be smoother changing when properly heel-toed on the downshift under heavy braking, so is can be more satisfying and less unsettling than the auto, too, leading to better engagement.

Also, at higher speeds the manual transmission loses will be slightly less than the auto loses, it is just going to be optimum one gear lower in most places and may actually have better acceleration in some places, as the only gearing advantage the auto has with the lower 1st and 2nd gear is below the typical minimum track cornering speed.
You seem to be talking about a specific track with higher average speeds. The track near my city (with slow corners as low as 60kmph) and the kind of b-roads I like to drive on weekends, wading through the gears in quick succession using the paddles and having the engine climb to redline more often in a short distance is exciting and part of the fun.

But hey, YMMV. As I’ve said before, at least we have a choice and each one can choose what works for them. I know what works for my needs and what I feel this car is designed primarily around. It’s ok for you to disagree.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 11:30 AM   #263
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
You seem to be talking about a specific track with higher average speeds.
Anything that isn't a go-kart track, really. Not many modern tracks have corners where the racing line radius is less than 40m.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN17687.50
      10-24-2023, 11:33 AM   #264
Reesnat
Private
India
Rep

Quote:
Anything that isn't a go-kart track, really. Not many modern tracks have corners where the racing line radius is less than 40m.
You really know it all Bro
Appreciate 0