09-13-2023, 08:56 PM   #529
GYRKIN GT
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: FPV GT, BMW K1600GTL & K1200GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by metj View Post
The Grande Torino is expected 15th of September for those awaiting that ship to dock at Port Melbourne

https://www.vicports.vic.gov.au/oper...movements.aspx
And, about time. We can actually start to get excited. 🤞
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 12:14 AM   #530
Eori
Rep
Drives: M2

Anyone know if we can track the order progress by using the vin in the mybmw app? Coz currently im only getting update from my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 12:49 AM   #531
GYRKIN GT
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eori View Post
Anyone know if we can track the order progress by using the vin in the mybmw app? Coz currently im only getting update from my dealer.
Unfortunately, no. We can really only receive updates from the dealer and even then it’s relatively limited. The only tracking available to us is once the car is actually on board the ship. That, given the current state of Port delays, along with reduced numbers of RoRo ships since Covid, makes tracking the ships rather tedious and frustrating. Sorry, not meaning to sound like a negative $!;~wit. Just telling as it is from my experience. I’m sure others will chime in with their experiences. Hopefully others, who now have their cars, also comment on the car and how the “wait” really is worth it?

How long have you been waiting for yours?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 01:58 AM   #532
CR8IVE
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 G87 M2 ON WAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh View Post
I would have thought it wouldn’t need to take more than a month to reach Melbourne from Brisbane. My dealer said mine’s on “Thalatta”, which is at the Panama Canal, with ETA Melbourne 10/10.
The boat 'THEBEN' has docked in Melbourne so I will be getting the car this month rather than mid next month as first predicted.

Has anyone here looked into ceramic coating and PPF?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 04:18 AM   #533
GYRKIN GT
Private
Australia
Rep

For those interested, Nabucco has made it down to outside Port Phillip Bay. Good luck guys, hopefully it won’t be stuck outside for too long.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 04:20 AM   #534
GYRKIN GT
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR8IVE View Post

I’m interested too. Anyone had a quote yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 06:32 PM   #535
CR8IVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYRKIN GT View Post
I’m interested too. Anyone had a quote yet?
I got quoted $4,500 for frontal area. $3,000 for ceramic coating.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2023, 08:40 PM   #536
GYRKIN GT
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, mate. That helps. 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 06:40 AM   #537
J15
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
My whole car was PPF'd for $4,500.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 06:46 AM   #538
Ctothej
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport, BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J15 View Post
My whole car was PPF'd for $4,500.
by whom?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 12:36 AM   #539
AndySG
Rep

Afternoon all,
A question for you all! I've done some research and cant find a definitive answer. Once the car is built is it shipped directly from Mexico to Australia or does it go Mexico, Germany then Australia? Thank you all in advance. . Car is now built! I'm now just praying to the ship gods now!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 08:37 AM   #540
nuh
Rep
Drives: Evo 8, M2 G87

Quote:
The boat 'THEBEN' has docked in Melbourne so I will be getting the car this month rather than mid next month as first predicted.

Haven’t had ppf on my cars before, but considering for this one. Been reading that the installer is pretty important, makes the difference between being able to feel the edges of the ppf on some pre-cut applications vs hand cut. Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 08:40 AM   #541
nuh
Rep

Looking through Maxwell Wang instagram ATM 🤤
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 01:31 AM   #542
GYRKIN GT
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySG View Post
Afternoon all,
A question for you all! I've done some research and cant find a definitive answer. Once the car is built is it shipped directly from Mexico to Australia or does it go Mexico, Germany then Australia? Thank you all in advance. . Car is now built! I'm now just praying to the ship gods now!
Seems it can go either direction, East to Europe but not necessarily to Germany. Or, West to Australia via one of the Pacific islands, then to Auckland, Brisbane, maybe Port Kembla, to Melbourne and possibly Perth.

Based on watching ships progress recently, it doesn’t appear to make much difference in which direction a ship leaves Mexico. Recent examples had the ships arriving in Melbourne within days of each other. Then there’s the issue of scheduling for ships to enter Port Phillip Bay and actually dock. That is beyond one’s comprehension. Obviously, if you work within the industry there will be a logical order to such schedules but to the ordinary Joe, just wanting their car to be offloaded and on a truck ASAP, there is no way in the world you can work out when that might be.

Now that your car is built, that’s a huge positive and hopefully it’s on a ship soon. Fingers crossed, mate. 🤞
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 02:45 AM   #543
Grace
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 on order

For those waiting on boats coming to Melbourne, you can look at the Mirrat schedules to see when your boat will actually dock, plus they sometimes break down the priority of docking. It’s just a google doc lol https://www.mirrat.com.au

Most cars should be offloaded at Mirrat (Webb dock), although not always at the moment. My car got offloaded at AAT Appleton dock for example.
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2023, 06:00 PM   #544
J15
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctothej View Post
by whom?
https://squadrabespoke.co/
Appreciate 1
Ctothej728.50
      09-17-2023, 06:10 PM   #545
J15
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh View Post
Haven’t had ppf on my cars before, but considering for this one. Been reading that the installer is pretty important, makes the difference between being able to feel the edges of the ppf on some pre-cut applications vs hand cut. Any advice?
There is a significant price gap between pre-cut and hand cut film. What you prefer will depend on budget and the extent of your expectations and perfectionism.

I have pre-cut film. There are some difficult shapes and angles on the G87 so the film has a few cuts and joins in it to help it mold to the car. Some of those cuts look a little awkward and if the film is applied poorly you might see larger than acceptable gaps in the joins. For some panels (like the bonnet) the film wraps around the edges. For other parts of the car (like the roof or around the headlights), the film doesn't wrap over the edge, and is usually about 2mm from the edge.

Unless you're OCD or eagle eyed you have to be less than 3ft from the car and looking for it to really notice the film.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 07:41 PM   #546
Ctothej
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport, BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 09:19 PM   #547
CR8IVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYRKIN GT View Post
Thanks, mate. That helps. 👍
My quote was from https://alphadetails.com.au
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2023, 05:19 AM   #548
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
There is a significant price gap between pre-cut and hand cut film. What you prefer will depend on budget and the extent of your expectations and perfectionism.

I have pre-cut film. There are some difficult shapes and angles on the G87 so the film has a few cuts and joins in it to help it mold to the car. Some of those cuts look a little awkward and if the film is applied poorly you might see larger than acceptable gaps in the joins. For some panels (like the bonnet) the film wraps around the edges. For other parts of the car (like the roof or around the headlights), the film doesn't wrap over the edge, and is usually about 2mm from the edge.

Unless you're OCD or eagle eyed you have to be less than 3ft from the car and looking for it to really notice the film.
I think the biggest difference between a pre-cut template job and one cut on the car is the risk of knives scoring the paint clear coat or worse through to the colour. You won't know if there is damage until some time later when the film is removed, personally I wouldn't risk a hand cut job nor would I buy a car 2nd hand with hand cut film still on.

I had my car wrapped from new & for my use was money well spent, after 110K km involving a lot of km in country QLD/NSW/Vic/Tassie + a heap of track days I had the car re-wrapped, looked like new again. OziCozi at Artarmon did both wraps. It's also worth remembering that paying a premium price for the 'perfect' wrap might be ok for a show/shine car but if you're going to head to fun roads in the country the film will quickly get rock impact marks which you'll learn to live with just like the pitted/chipped windscreen
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2023, 08:19 PM   #549
nuh
Rep

Quote:

Thanks! First person perspective makes all the difference!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 07:21 PM   #550
Lex Templar
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 AW

Just checked in, my car now 5 months in Bremerhaven, it's slipping away..
Appreciate 0