BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

02-17-2023, 01:42 AM   #1
akim89
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i x-drive

8k miles on my 22 m240i...subtle rattle/vibration sound from the dash console area?

All of a sudden, on the way to Costco, I started feeling/hearing a very subtle rattle/vibration sound coming from the dash/center console area. It's hardly noticeable but my wife also felt it/heard it ever so slightly. In eco pro mode, I can barely hear/feel it but in comfort (sporty setting), and in sport mode, I can definitely feel/hear a difference. I'm wondering if this is the ASD? Is anyone else feeling/hearing the same? Again, it is a VERY subtle difference but as this is my daily driver, it is definitely noticeable.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2023, 04:54 AM   #2
ClarkyM
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i XDrive 2023 BG

I am also experiencing similar!

Vibration/rattle almost tinny noise from centre dash I think. Think this probably was from new but hadn’t noticed until I had driven more as it’s a very quiet ride inside (comfort) it’s more noticeable.

Again very very subtle and can be heard more around 30/40 mph in comfort or sports doesn’t seem to be noticing below or over that speed most likely due to increased tyre noise over 40mph masks it some what.

Still trying to pin down where it’s coming from. Will eventually book into BMW but trying to locate myself first as to at least the area.

Would also be interested if anyone else has experienced the same and or found the location/cause. Other than this it’s a solid build for me!

(2023 G42 M240i)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 11:01 AM   #3
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

This could be coming from the speaker cover. Had something similar on my 330i. There's a fix for the speaker rattle on Youtube. If that is actually the issue, take the car back and show the dealer the video.

Bob
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2023, 03:47 AM   #4
ClarkyM
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you, I did read somewhere that it could be the centre HK speaker however holding down the cover didn’t seem to make any difference so could be within the speaker housing itself. Did the dealership manage to fix your rattle?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 05:57 AM   #5
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkyM View Post
Thank you, I did read somewhere that it could be the centre HK speaker however holding down the cover didn’t seem to make any difference so could be within the speaker housing itself. Did the dealership manage to fix your rattle?
My 330i xdrive speaker rattle only happened in very cold weather, probably because the connection contracted just enough to cause a rattle. And only after I had the car for a few years. I lived with it for a few months until I purchased the M240i xdrive.

Bob
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2023, 08:10 PM   #6
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
I am also experiencing similar!

Vibration/rattle almost tinny noise from centre dash I think. Think this probably was from new but hadn’t noticed until I had driven more as it’s a very quiet ride inside (comfort) it’s more noticeable.

Again very very subtle and can be heard more around 30/40 mph in comfort or sports doesn’t seem to be noticing below or over that speed most likely due to increased tyre noise over 40mph masks it some what.

Still trying to pin down where it’s coming from. Will eventually book into BMW but trying to locate myself first as to at least the area.

Would also be interested if anyone else has experienced the same and or found the location/cause. Other than this it’s a solid build for me!

(2023 G42 M240i)
Does this noise happen with the center storage door open or closed? Have you tried to see if there’s a difference?
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2023, 12:08 AM   #7
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Mine has a rattle coming from the center storage door that covers the cupholders/wireless charger. Only happens when the door is open, aka 100% of the time. Took it to the dealership and asked them to fix it. They played the usual dumb card and were "unable to replicate it" even though I literally heard it getting to and leaving on the frontage road next to the dealership.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 2
Mike_H_264.50
      04-16-2023, 11:53 AM   #8
ClarkyM
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
Does this noise happen with the center storage door open or closed? Have you tried to see if there’s a difference?
I haven’t tried that as thought it was coming from the dash but difficult to track down the exact location when driving! Will give this a go thanks for the suggestion!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 11:54 AM   #9
ClarkyM
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Mine has a rattle coming from the center storage door that covers the cupholders/wireless charger. Only happens when the door is open, aka 100% of the time. Took it to the dealership and asked them to fix it. They played the usual dumb card and were "unable to replicate it" even though I literally heard it getting to and leaving on the frontage road next to the dealership.
Thanks will give this a go!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 01:46 PM   #10
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Not surprised. There's no book on that repair, so the mechanic isn't making anything to figure it out, so they don't want to mess with it.

So far, I've got no rattles or unwanted sounds, no suspension thump, nothing, but I'm at less than 3,000 miles.

If they do show up, it's the sort of thing I'll research a solution for and try to permanently fix it myself, since that's the only way it'll ever get done.

I really only want them doing warranty issues and work I can't do.

You never know if the tech working on your car is the best at the dealership or the guy who's about to get fired from their 10th dealership because they are terrible.

The best tech picks the car they are working on next and will pick a job that pays 4 hours that they can complete correctly in 90 minutes, the terrible tech gets the rattling speakers.
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2023, 09:53 AM   #11
ClarkyM
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you again! still have a little more verification to do on this! But what I have noticed is it is almost inaudible with the cupholder storage door closed so thinking this could be the source! Strange as I thought it was coming from the dash before your post! Did you or BMW manage to fix it on yours?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 09:54 AM   #12
ClarkyM
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
Thank you again! still have a little more verification to do on this! But what I have noticed is it is almost inaudible with the cupholder storage door closed so thinking this could be the source! Strange as I thought it was coming from the dash before your post! Did you or BMW manage to fix it on yours?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 01:00 PM   #13
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Yeah, closing it solves it for me too. Dunno what it is in that door assembly that is rattling. It has not been fixed. I'm just waiting for my M2 next month.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 01:07 PM   #14
ClarkyM
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, closing it solves it for me too. Dunno what it is in that door assembly that is rattling. It has not been fixed. I'm just waiting for my M2 next month.
No worries thanks. Very Nice on your M2! Only had the M240i for a month so far. 6 month wait for my 240i from Mexico!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 10:24 AM   #15
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Reviving this issue, I think I have something very similar. It's a small but frequent ticking/rattling that happens when the chassis twists and moves, not just over bumps. It's rather incessant once it starts, yet can easily be drowned out by the radio at even lowish volumes, so it's not that loud.

My issue is not the center speaker grille, I've already done the fix and today I removed it completely and the rattle is still there.

Mine does it with the cupholder lid open or closed, but I have found pressing down on the lid fairly hard seems to suppress it most of the time. Sometimes moving the lid open and closed and moving it left and right seems to cause the noises to go away at least until my next drive. Some days are bad, some I don't notice it (might be there but I'm trying to ignore it).

I'm curious if anyone had this fixed, or if it self-resolved over time? Mine's been doing it for at least 3 months. I plan to make a dealer trip at some point, but I've been holding off either for self resolution, or at least until I'm confident I have pinpointed the source. As of now, the lid seems to be the culprit, and I'm thinking it's the opening/hinge mechanism. Maybe the spring for the soft close is binding in there or touching something.

I will add that I have the rhombicle aluminum trim option, whether or not that plays any contributing factor compared the the gloss black plastic.

If it's not actually the lid, I have no idea...I don't have much faith in my normal dealership since they never fixed the A pillar noise in my F22 even though I gave them multiple TSBs to reference for the exact same common issue. The other dealer is across town, so that's a commitment.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 11:09 AM   #16
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240xi

Is this the sound you guys are hearing?

https://youtube.com/shorts/esDgGQse6...gCjUXqbB2YvI-_

Have had this constantly going over bumps/uneven roads for about 6 months now
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 11:37 AM   #17
bobkat09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

Not sure that I’ve got the same problem but I’m hearing more of a

plastic buzzing sound. I hear it only when driving on coarse pavement

and to me it seems to be coming from underneath the steering column
Appreciate 1
jpf3409.00
      09-26-2023, 12:50 PM   #18
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap2x View Post
Is this the sound you guys are hearing?

https://youtube.com/shorts/esDgGQse6...gCjUXqbB2YvI-_

Have had this constantly going over bumps/uneven roads for about 6 months now
Could be my audio device but I only hear 1 click/tick sound near the end of your clip as the car is decelerating.

Mine also makes a slight sound like that when accelerating or applying the brakes, sometimes.

If you're willing, when it is making noise, try opening or closing the lid over the cup holder. You can also try what I have done, hold the lid down around the middle of it with decent force to keep it from moving around. I also have moved it (as much as it goes) from side to side hoping to dislodge or separate whatever is touching within the hinge mechanism. You can hear some slight ticking when you move it side to side, but not sure if it's the same noise or just circumstantial to manipulating the part that way. Sometimes one of the above temporarily stops the noises. If that's the case, report back, it could be the lid opening mechanism.

Just a theory.
Appreciate 1
ap2x21.00
      09-26-2023, 03:43 PM   #19
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
Could be my audio device but I only hear 1 click/tick sound near the end of your clip as the car is decelerating.

Mine also makes a slight sound like that when accelerating or applying the brakes, sometimes.

If you're willing, when it is making noise, try opening or closing the lid over the cup holder. You can also try what I have done, hold the lid down around the middle of it with decent force to keep it from moving around. I also have moved it (as much as it goes) from side to side hoping to dislodge or separate whatever is touching within the hinge mechanism. You can hear some slight ticking when you move it side to side, but not sure if it's the same noise or just circumstantial to manipulating the part that way. Sometimes one of the above temporarily stops the noises. If that's the case, report back, it could be the lid opening mechanism.

Just a theory.
Yeah that’s the sound I’m talking about. I’ll try that next time, I was hearing it when the cup holder was open
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 08:54 PM   #20
akim89
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat09 View Post
Not sure that I’ve got the same problem but I’m hearing more of a

plastic buzzing sound. I hear it only when driving on coarse pavement

and to me it seems to be coming from underneath the steering column
Hey man I think this is exactly what I have. Does it happen only at light throttle/low speeds? Or just lightly coasting? Mine is still doing it
Appreciate 1
bobkat09151.50
      12-06-2023, 09:05 AM   #21
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep

I didn't want to lead anyone one with a fix that doesn't work, but I may have sorted this on mine. Mine seems to have been coming from the cupholder lid, possibly the springs under the decorative cover. One day in my fit of annoyance I jiggled the lid around, pressed down on it hard on the corners, which may or may not have helped at all.

I think the fix was removing the lid cover (mine is the aluminum rhombicle) and playing around with the 2 metal springs. The lid comes off pretty easily, when you have the cover open use one hand to hold the bottom of the lid and your other to pull the decorative top piece towards you. It didn't take a lot of effort to pull it on mine, and I did not need any trim tools. I poked around at the springs under the decorative cover, heard a little "plink" and I haven't noticed the ticking/rattling since. I had one day it was making a tiny bit of noise, but I basically just touched the cover and it went away.

If you need a visual, this video shows removing the cover at 11:05 forward. The springs I was talking about are shown at 12:27. Perhaps hitting them with a bit of lubrication wouldn't hurt either (not sure what works best). For now, as long as it's quiet, I'm not touching it again.

I always suspected it had something to do with springs based on how it sounded. I knew there would be some springs in the assembly to dampen the opening/closing. I don't know if the springs under the top piece do that, but it would align with my initial thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5oONpQsqrw
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 09:42 AM   #22
bobkat09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by akim89 View Post
Hey man I think this is exactly what I have. Does it happen only at light throttle/low speeds? Or just lightly coasting? Mine is still doing it
Seems to be at lower speeds. Usually between 30-40 MPH over coarse pavement
Appreciate 1
jpf3409.00