BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-04-2024, 06:54 PM   #45
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FWB

I am also looking at getting a 2024 or 2025 M2 (6MT) that I would use as a DD. That would mean about 10k miles of highway driving a year, and about 3-5k miles on small/fun roads and in the city. Would love to hear about experiences with noise, and especially what happens on the highway -- general noise level (comparisons with other cars welcome), impact of road surface (asphalt vs. concrete), difference between noise/resonances on bad vs. good roads, etc.
2008 C350, Steel grey, 7A (sold)
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).

Last edited by ayilar; 04-04-2024 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 08:43 PM   #46
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayilar View Post
I am also looking at getting a 2024 or 2025 M2 (6MT) that I would use as a DD. That would mean about 10k miles of highway driving a year, and about 3-5k miles on small/fun roads and in the city. Would love to hear about experiences with noise, and especially what happens on the highway -- general noise level (comparisons with other cars welcome), impact of road surface (asphalt vs. concrete), difference between noise/resonances on bad vs. good roads, etc.
Cabin noise is going to be really subjective. My frames of reference for you are the Cayman and the Volkswagen Golf R -- this car can be (settings matter) much quieter and has a softer ride than both.
Appreciate 1
ayilar16.00
      04-04-2024, 09:17 PM   #47
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
My frames of reference for you are the Cayman and the Volkswagen Golf R -- this car can be (settings matter) much quieter and has a softer ride than both.
Thank you very much, this is useful info.

I own a 2018 GTI (Autobahn with adjustable suspension), which I find comfortable in the comfort setting for 2hr+ highway drives. I am hoping for something that can be as quiet (ideally quieter) and smooth in similar circumstances.

I'd keep the GTI, if it were not for VW's discontinuing the R manual after the current MY. This is why I am looking at getting either a Golf R now before it disappears, or a 2025 M2 this fall. The GTI would still stay in the family, as it has under 25k miles and has been trouble-free.

For those reasons, it'd be great if you could expand on your comparison with the R. Mk7 or Mk8 BTW?
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).

Last edited by ayilar; 04-04-2024 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:53 PM   #48
rippernash
'Sirius' - 2024 G87 M2 in Black Sapphire
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, 2024 G87 M2

Haha my first new BMW is the 24 M2. I daily drive it to work about 15 miles each way. It's so much fun honestly, love the endless power just waiting in reserve. The throttle pedal is so good you never really have to test it WOT as it provides a small trailer with the slightest touch. The comfort mode is surprisingly quiet and soft compared to what people were describing for the F87. I end up just flipping in and out of M1 mode while passing. Feels delightful. The steering wheel is a bit on the thicker side but I personally prefer the plush feel but the steering is sharp and precise.

I tracked my M2 a couple of weekends ago at Sonoma and just loved every minute with it on track. I couldn't believe it driving home that day how I was just putting effortless lap times in the same car a few hours ago and now it's riding smooth on the highway cruising 70mph.

Love my Sirius. Black Sapphire 8AT. Knocks wood.
Appreciate 2
DSTR1251.50
Ronin76807.50
      04-05-2024, 08:00 AM   #49
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippernash View Post
Haha my first new BMW is the 24 M2. I daily drive it to work about 15 miles each way. It's so much fun honestly, love the endless power just waiting in reserve. The throttle pedal is so good you never really have to test it WOT as it provides a small trailer with the slightest touch. The comfort mode is surprisingly quiet and soft compared to what people were describing for the F87. I end up just flipping in and out of M1 mode while passing. Feels delightful. The steering wheel is a bit on the thicker side but I personally prefer the plush feel but the steering is sharp and precise.

I tracked my M2 a couple of weekends ago at Sonoma and just loved every minute with it on track. I couldn't believe it driving home that day how I was just putting effortless lap times in the same car a few hours ago and now it's riding smooth on the highway cruising 70mph.

Love my Sirius. Black Sapphire 8AT. Knocks wood.
Great input! Happy to see this. So much over analysis around here.

Its a car. Drive it! Enjoy it. Life is short and this car is superb daily.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76807.50
      04-05-2024, 08:40 AM   #50
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

I own a 2018 GTI (Autobahn with adjustable suspension), which I find comfortable in the comfort setting for 2hr+ highway drives. I am hoping for something that can be as quiet (ideally quieter) and smooth in similar circumstances.

I'd keep the GTI, if it were not for VW's discontinuing the R manual after the current MY. This is why I am looking at getting either a Golf R now before it disappears, or a 2025 M2 this fall. The GTI would still stay in the family, as it has under 25k miles and has been trouble-free.

For those reasons, it'd be great if you could expand on your comparison with the R. Mk7 or Mk8 BTW?

Best way to describe it is that you feel where the money goes. The finish, the ride, obviously power.. but everything is leveled up and feels more posh and refined. "Luxury Sports Car".

The transmission/clutch feels like a step down.

The steering doesn't feel as directly connected, even in Sport it's numb vs the Golf and Porsche.

The car feels ENORMOUS coming from the Golf.

I've whined here plenty already, but you lose brake hold which is killing me.

Check my post history, I wrote up a bit on it.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2024, 09:41 AM   #51
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post

(...) Check my post history, I wrote up a bit on it.
Thank you for the info. I had read your posts, which is why I followed up when you kindly replied.

Basically, when I started this process back in January, I'd narrowed my options down to getting a 2024 R now, or an Integra Type-S or a BMW I4 (yeah, I know, different animal altogether) in 2025 or 2026. The Type-S is out after going to the dealer, and the M2 (which I had initially ruled out because I have a strong preference for a hatch, for practicality reasons) has replaced the Acura.

As of now, the i4 eDrive40 is still in. FWIW, I have no problem considering cars that are quite different: when I got my XC60 in 2018, the other finalists at the time were the GTI (which I bought) and a Charger Scat Pack (which I passed on, as it was simply too noisy for long highway drives). The i4 is extremely quiet, which is a big plus, and the acceleration is fun.

If in the next few weeks I decide to go for an M2 rather than the R, then I may get a 2024 GTI now, wait for the LCI M2, and at that time let the 2018 go and pass the 2024 to someone else at home. That would ensure I have a stick-sift car well into the future, as I would plan to hold onto the M2 "forever" in that case.

Meanwhile, I hope that folks keep chiming in. The M2 is hard to find locally, and in any event it is difficult to properly evaluate most cars after just a few minutes (in the case of the Scat Pack, I ended up renting a Challenger R/T and then a Charger R/T for several days, just to see if I could live with either car; I could not, simply due to the tiresome noise: great fun to go vroom vroom, yes, but not so fun -- at least not to me -- after more than 10 minutes).
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).

Last edited by ayilar; 04-05-2024 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 10:22 AM   #52
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:

Basically, when I started this process back in January, I'd narrowed my options down to getting a 2024 R now, or an Integra Type-S or a BMW I4 (yeah, I know, different animal altogether) in 2025 or 2026. The Type-S is out after going to the dealer, and the M2 (which I had initially ruled out because I have a strong preference for a hatch, for practicality reasons) has replaced the Acura.

As of now, the i4 eDrive40 is still in. FWIW, I have no problem considering cars that are quite different: when I got my XC60 in 2018, the other finalists at the time were the GTI (which I bought) and a Charger Scat Pack (which I passed on, as it was simply too noisy for long highway drives). The i4 is extremely quiet, which is a big plus, and the acceleration is fun.

If in the next few weeks I decide to go for an M2 rather than the R, then I may get a 2024 GTI now, wait for the LCI M2, and at that time let the 2018 go and pass the 2024 to someone else at home. That would ensure I have a stick-sift car well into the future, as I would plan to hold onto the M2 "forever" in that case.

Meanwhile, I hope that folks keep chiming in. The M2 is hard to find locally, and in any event it is difficult to properly evaluate most cars after just a few minutes (in the case of the Scat Pack, I ended up renting a Challenger R/T and then a Charger R/T for several days, just to see if I could live with either car; I could not, simply due to the tiresome noise: great fun to go vroom vroom, yes, but not so fun -- at least not to me -- after more than 10 minutes).
I've posted this before here, but i was down to CTR, ITS, GR rolla, or M2. GR rolla fell out after the car i specced arrived and the dealer tried to pull a fast one on me to the tune of a ~10k swing- I told them to eat shit and walked. ITS would have been my first choice at MSRP, but at the time i could not find one under 10k markup which was a deal breaker.

on road, again at the time, i preferred the feel of the ITS steering and shifter, it changed directions faster and had more go-kart style feel. its a REALLY compelling package... at 50k. not at 60k. if you can find one at 50k i'd reconsider.

I have a mk4 R, my brother has a 7.5, and i have been inside and verrry lightly driven an 8. to me the car is just not comfy. i am not sure if it is my size (6'2) or what but the 7.5 and 8 just never did it for me- IMHO i would prefer a nice B8.5 S4 over either, which will be faster and more comfortable either way (not to mention cheaper to buy). you really need to drive and crawl around one before you buy it... the 8s just arent doing it for some people, and i am included in that group.

the m2 on the other hand... settings absolutely matter which muddle the conversation around these cars, but it can play the GT role very well, and then transition to sports coupe with a few clicks (or taps as it may be). with several 8 hour days behind the wheel under my belt at this point, you can GT this car the same way you might an S4, but it buttons up WAY better when it's time to play. totally livable day to day as long as you are OK with the coupe. road noise even on winter tires is more than acceptable. as someone else said, you can feel where the extra money goes. plus the ability to walk basically anything this side of a 1LE on your favorite backroads makes it all the more satisfying.
Appreciate 2
ayilar16.00
Ronin76807.50
      04-05-2024, 10:53 AM   #53
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
And for those that say it rides stiff, trying driving an F87 OG M2 for a few minutes. Then trying repeating that same comment again.
Coming from the OG M2 I can confirm the ride in that was very crashy over poor roads and it lacked adaptive suspension. It also didn't have most of the sound deadening that the F22 had so it had a lot of NVH.

I agree with what Chris Harris said in his review.
Quote:
"On long journeys, this is so much more comfortable and less tiring to drive than the last M2. There's a lot less head toss, there's a lot less NVH so you just get out feeling fresher...it works superbly but a lot of people think that that's somehow detracting from what an M2 should be, that it should somehow be a raw road racer. I just think that's bullshit. Why do you want to be uncomfortable for the sake of being uncomfortable? This is a better car to drive, and it's more comfortable, you can do both."
Would love to hear from those that came from an F87 and now have the G87. How would you compare the two? If we use a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the harshest and give the F87 a 10 for NVH and ride comfort what you rate the G87 at? I haven't driven the G87 yet because I'm waiting for the LCI. I know if I go and test drive one now, I'll seriously contemplate pulling the trigger now. Nope, not gonna do it, no, no, no.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2024, 11:13 AM   #54
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
The G87 rides very well stock, no bouncing around in Comfort setting, the tires though wide are either surprisingly quiet or the car is very well insulated. I would venture it's the latter as the G series cars are really a major step up from previous gen. The car rides much better, softer and more compliant than the F87C I had prior. It also absorbs bumps better than my 7.5 GTI.

Quote:

My 7.5 GTI has static suspension. The G87 is leagues above when it comes to soaking up bumps. If I were to ride over a pot hole, which unfortunately happens some times, you can feel it throughout the cabin in the GTI. It's loud, the wheels bang against the liner and it feels like you fell off a bridge into a ravine or something. The G87 on the other hand doesn't seem to budge thank God.
      04-05-2024, 12:57 PM   #55
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
The G87 rides very well stock, no bouncing around in Comfort setting, the tires though wide are either surprisingly quiet or the car is very well insulated. (...) It also absorbs bumps better than my 7.5 GTI.

My 7.5 GTI has static suspension. The G87 is leagues above when it comes to soaking up bumps. (...)
Thank you, very helpful as well. The suspension difference is night and day between the Autobahn (adjustable) and the S and SE Mk7.5 GTIs (static), and I am hoping for something even better with the M2 as I will be dailying the car. The seats in the 7.5 Autobahn are also much better IMHO than in the S and SE, both because of the shape and because of the multiplicity of the adjustments. Those are the two reasons why I splurged on the AB, and why I still have the car 6 years later (the fact that I managed to get 20% off from the dealer -- late in the model year, and they had a bunch on the lot -- was the icing on the cake).

What brand tires do you have on your M2?
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).

Last edited by ayilar; 04-05-2024 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5560.50
      04-05-2024, 01:27 PM   #56
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Thank you, very helpful as well. The suspension difference is night and day between the Autobahn (adjustable) and the S and SE Mk7.5 GTIs (static), and I am hoping for something even better with the M2 as I will be dailying the car. The seats in the 7.5 Autobahn are also much better IMHO than in the S and SE, both because of the shape and because of the multiplicity of the adjustments. Those are the two reasons why I splurged on the AB, and why I still have the car 6 years later (the fact that I managed to get 20% off from the dealer — late in the model year, and they had a bunch on the lot — was the icing on the cake).

What brand tires do you have on your M2?
I absolutely hate the seats in my 7.5 SE. I can't get comfortable in them. Now granted it's the wife's car but she makes me drive it, you know how it is. The highest trim level was the SE they had and we got a hell of a deal in 2019. If I could adjust them more I would love the car more.
I have the PS4S* on my G87. They're really great tires actually. When I need replacements, hopefully they make the same star spec in a larger size.
I also have the buckets in my G87 and they are insanely comfortable.
ayilar16.00
      04-05-2024, 01:43 PM   #57
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have the PS4S* on my G87.
Thx!

Quote:
(...) I also have the buckets in my G87 and they are insanely comfortable.
That's good to know. What I'd read thus far is that, for longer drives, the standard seats are much more comfortable.
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 02:20 PM   #58
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
That's good to know. What I'd read thus far is that, for longer drives, the standard seats are much more comfortable.
I cant see that being the case whatsoever. The Carbon Buckets hug you and are very comfy on longer trips. And when you're tracking or going on a spirited drive, it's a night and day difference. I tracked with the standard seats and my ass cheek was so sore afterwards, bracing my body against the door.
I'm 5'10" 160 lbs with 44 shoulders and 31 hips so YRMV. Get the seats.
      04-05-2024, 02:36 PM   #59
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thx Bumpinjeep. Like us, don pablo also has a GTI, in his case a 2023 AB -- will be interested if he could chime in as well.
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 08:37 PM   #60
///MmmDonuts
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I come from an EQT 91 stage 1 7.5 R (6MT) and recently bought a 2024 G87 and performance-wise they aren't even in the same conversation. I'm not sure why some people say the steering is better in the VW but I completely disagree. The steering in the G87 is precise and the grip the front end has is on another planet from the R. I'm still in the break-in period but the s58 feels special and the zf8 programming is really good.

Downsides IMO, the hood is really long and takes getting used to, less room in the back seats than the 7.5. Also no radar cruise, but that's just because the one I picked up didn't have the option.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 08:40 PM   #61
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 03:35 AM   #62
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Coming from the OG M2 I can confirm the ride in that was very crashy over poor roads and it lacked adaptive suspension. It also didn't have most of the sound deadening that the F22 had so it had a lot of NVH.

I agree with what Chris Harris said in his review.

Would love to hear from those that came from an F87 and now have the G87. How would you compare the two? If we use a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the harshest and give the F87 a 10 for NVH and ride comfort what you rate the G87 at? I haven't driven the G87 yet because I'm waiting for the LCI. I know if I go and test drive one now, I'll seriously contemplate pulling the trigger now. Nope, not gonna do it, no, no, no.
Loved my 17 M2. Love my 23 M2. The 23 is easier on the body and that does not make it less sporting. If you need NVH and aggression M-cars were never really for you to begin with. Get a Caterham or Ariel Atom and move on.
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      04-06-2024, 09:19 AM   #63
m2not1LE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI, M2 (on order)

Quote:

I have a 2018 VW GTI Autobahn 6 speed with the factory adjustable setting. Car is bone stock with 37,000 miles on it, other than a BFI shifter knob.

I've driven my friend's bone stock '2021 BMW M2 CS 6 speed manual 7 times; it's definitely stiffer (ride wise) than my GTI. M2s (including new model) are more aggressive across the board.

I love my GTI and am keeping it along with the '2025 M2 I ordered (pending allocation) 10 days ago.

New GTIs and Autobahns are as nice as our cars in many ways. No hood prop, cheaper interior materials, lack of real buttons/knobs and so on. I'd never buy a current model GTI or Golf R based on that.

BMW M240i may be a better fit for you as they're closer in price to the Golfs ride better and are much more fuel efficient than the M2, though have to live with the ZF automatic transmission.

Automatic vs. Automatic: M240i: 22 city/32 highway MPG; M2: 16 city/23 highway MPG.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141864...blic/lightbox/

And because the M240i burns less fuel, your valves and combustion chambers will remain cleaner for much longer.

Last edited by m2not1LE; 04-06-2024 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Added MPG comparison
Appreciate 1
ayilar16.00
      04-06-2024, 09:29 AM   #64
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

From an F87 owner...

I've owned my 2017 F87 for almost 4 years now & it's been my daily. All reviews I've seen say the G87 rides WAY nicer than the F87 - and my limited experience in the G87, it is for sure a nicer ride & way more adjustable. (Plus that interior!)

I did put adjustable coilovers on my F87 & that improved the ride for daily use significantly, but it's still a noticeably stiff ride & I had no issues with it being a daily driver. Long trips are still quite nice; a little annoying on imperfect roads. And I get to adjust the coilovers for track days, which is awesome. You have that capability built into the G87.

One drive of a G87 sold me instantly. Ordered mine & it's in production.

Do it.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 6
Tag18260.50
Bumpinjeep5560.50
lithe31.00
DSTR1251.50
      04-06-2024, 11:35 AM   #65
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

It’s a great daily driver, not a single regret.
Appreciate 2
Ronin76807.50
      04-06-2024, 01:16 PM   #66
m2not1LE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI, M2 (on order)

Quote:
I absolutely hate the seats in my 7.5 SE. I can't get comfortable in them. Now granted it's the wife's car but she makes me drive it, you know how it is. The highest trim level was the SE they had and we got a hell of a deal in 2019. If I could adjust them more I would love the car more.
I have the PS4S* on my G87. They're really great tires actually. When I need replacements, hopefully they make the same star spec in a larger size.
I also have the buckets in my G87 and they are insanely comfortable.
Could have ordered/located a 2019 model year Autobahn. There are differences in Autobahn seats vs. lesser models. I have a 2018 Autobahn and have zero complaints about the seats - seats in my then new 2009 Z51with LT2 interior were absolute garbage in comparison.

Last edited by m2not1LE; 04-06-2024 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
ayilar16.00