home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

02-23-2024, 12:04 PM   #1
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax

During the week I'm in an apt away from my primary residence and don't have a way to wash the car. Since I won't home for about 3 weeks, I got frustrated with the car being dirty & picked up a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate waterless wash and wax.

It took me about an hour and 20 min to clean the car, which is about the same amount of time it takes me with a hose & two buckets to wash, dry, then get the water spots off with quick detailer.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Spray on a section of the car, wipe off, then wipe with a dry microfiber towel. I checked the paint & wheels in direct sunlight and no noticeable swirls or fine scratches. Worked great on the sections covered with Xpel also. Washing the entire vehicle didn't take much product at all either. I anticipate getting a lot of washes out of one bottle.
Attached Images

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 12
Tag18271.00
DSTR1251.50
AZG87974.50
wjones14663.00
ayilar16.00
      02-23-2024, 12:29 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Rinseless washes have come a long way. I've used ONR for years during winter months, stuff is amazing.

Appreciate 4
      02-23-2024, 02:48 PM   #3
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

This test is just set up to just show their product in the only way it excels. ONR is significantly inferior to DIY Detail, N-914, or Owner's Pride rinseless. ONR does not release dirt from the wash media nearly as well as those others and you will mar more from that. The dirt is in suspension with surfactant rinseless washes and it's just as safe if not safer. I use DIY and the leftover ONR I use on interior/glass or for cleaning my phone.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2024, 02:53 PM   #4
Biglife
Rep
Drives: 24 G87 M2

Car looks phenomenal JABCAT! I'm always worried about the fine scratches with waterless washes, glad to hear you're not seeing any after this detail. Might be riskier on my black paint
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 04:48 PM   #5
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglife View Post
Car looks phenomenal JABCAT! I'm always worried about the fine scratches with waterless washes, glad to hear you're not seeing any after this detail. Might be riskier on my black paint
Thank you! I haven't had time to paint correct it yet, and this car needs it. I have manually removed a lot of fine scratches that were under the door handles (I'm always curious how they get there on brand new vehicles). It's clear this car was run through an automatic car wash probably by the dealer during PDI and before I purchased it. It has swirls, fine scratches, and etched in water spots all over it.

Knowing I wouldn't have time for paint correction & that I drive 500 mi round trip nearly every weekend, it went straight to Xpel from the dealership. The Xpel actually hides any swirls on the sections that are covered, which is nice.

I did notice today that Xpel put a piece off ppf on the rear wheel arch & lower rear bumper for me. Not sure how I didn't notice that before (that's how good a job my shop does )
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:10 PM   #6
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
During the week I'm in an apt away from my primary residence and don't have a way to wash the car. Since I won't home for about 3 weeks, I got frustrated with the car being dirty & picked up a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate waterless wash and wax.

It took me about an hour and 20 min to clean the car, which is about the same amount of time it takes me with a hose & two buckets to wash, dry, then get the water spots off with quick detailer.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Spray on a section of the car, wipe off, then wipe with a dry microfiber towel. I checked the paint & wheels in direct sunlight and no noticeable swirls or fine scratches. Worked great on the sections covered with Xpel also. Washing the entire vehicle didn't take much product at all either. I anticipate getting a lot of washes out of one bottle.
I like Meguiar's. I use their hyper wash in my 2 buckets, well in one of them lol, and foam canon.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:49 PM   #7
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG87 View Post
I like Meguiar's. I use their hyper wash in my 2 buckets, well in one of them lol, and foam canon.
I like Meguiar's as well. I really like Adam's polishes, but I wanted to just run out and grab something vs ordering & waiting for it to arrive. I used Meguiar's & my DA polisher to paint correct my Z06 when I picked it up several years ago, and it did a good job.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
AZG87974.50
      02-24-2024, 12:13 AM   #8
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Rinseless washes have come a long way. I've used ONR for years during winter months, stuff is amazing.
That's awesome & I'm glad to see that this company is still around. I did notice that the popsicle stick on the right hand side seemed much dirtier & darker from the moment it went in the solution & originally got dipped though.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 12:19 AM   #9
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
That's awesome & I'm glad to see that this company is still around. I did notice that the popsicle stick on the right hand side seemed much dirtier & darker from the moment it went in the solution & originally got dipped though.

Ahem

Appreciate 2
      02-24-2024, 12:20 AM   #10
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

I used this stuff when I lived in an apartment, but honestly, if your car is ceramic coated, nothing beats a quick drive-in pressure washer and some Griots speedshine.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2024, 12:23 AM   #11
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Ahem
I stand corrected & this gives me more confidence that things weren't a touch rigged or skewed to begin with. Since I'm German we tend to have to be extra convinced at first. LOL
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
Tag18271.00
      02-24-2024, 12:39 AM   #12
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
I stand corrected & this gives me more confidence that things weren't a touch rigged or skewed to begin with. Since I'm German we tend to have to be extra convinced at first. LOL
I also use ONR as a prewash year round. Basically, spray the entire car down with ONR, let it dwell for a couple of minutes and then rinse it off before I do a traditional wash. In the wintertime since I can't wash the car outside, I just wash it with ONR and I've never had any scratches or swirls using it. Just like anything you just need to be mindful.

The method I use for winter washes is slightly different. I still spray the car down and let it dwell but also use multiple microfiber towels. Basically, fold your towel twice so you have four clean sides, dip the towel in bucket of warm ONR water and wipe down a section with one side of the towel, flip the towel and repeat until all four side are dirty and then toss that towel aside and grab a new one. Speeds up cleaning the car and since you are always using a clean towel you lessen the chance of scratching your paint.
Appreciate 3
      02-24-2024, 12:50 AM   #13
G87M
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
I also use ONR as a prewash year round. Basically, spray the entire car down with ONR, let it dwell for a couple of minutes and then rinse it off before I do a traditional wash. In the wintertime since I can't wash the car outside, I just wash it with ONR and I've never had any scratches or swirls using it. Just like anything you just need to be mindful.

The method I use for winter washes is slightly different. I still spray the car down and let it dwell but also use multiple microfiber towels. Basically, fold your towel twice so you have four clean sides, dip the towel in bucket of warm ONR water and wipe down a section with one side of the towel, flip the towel and repeat until all four side are dirty and then toss that towel aside and grab a new one. Speeds up cleaning the car and since you are always using a clean towel you lessen the chance of scratching your paint.
I used a similar process with my Camaro previously. With the only additional clarification to sort of "roll" the clean side of the microfiber as you use it, so you always are contacting a clean edge.
Appreciate 3
Tag18271.00
wjones14663.00
      02-24-2024, 12:41 PM   #14
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
I like Meguiar's as well. I really like Adam's polishes, but I wanted to just run out and grab something vs ordering & waiting for it to arrive. I used Meguiar's & my DA polisher to paint correct my Z06 when I picked it up several years ago, and it did a good job.
M_Power Rob turned me on to Adams wheel cleaner / detailer that was specially formulated for Vossen wheels. Use it on my ceramic coated oem wheels and will on the ceramic coated slas eventually too. Works great. Figure if it's good enough for a set of $10k wheels it can handle oem and other wheels just fine
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 02:45 PM   #15
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG87 View Post
M_Power Rob turned me on to Adams wheel cleaner / detailer that was specially formulated for Vossen wheels. Use it on my ceramic coated oem wheels and will on the ceramic coated slas eventually too. Works great. Figure if it's good enough for a set of $10k wheels it can handle oem and other wheels just fine
Adams is what the Corvette Museum uses for new Corvettes that are delivered at the Museum. I take exceptional care of my Z06, but after I did the Museum Experience with it last Summer (after a 13 hour drive from DFW to Bowling Green), they completely detailed it and put it on display in the Museum with brand new Corvettes. My 12-year-old Z looked brand new as well.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 12:03 AM   #16
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G87M View Post
I used a similar process with my Camaro previously. With the only additional clarification to sort of "roll" the clean side of the microfiber as you use it, so you always are contacting a clean edge.
So, how many microfiber towels do you typically use with this process?

I'm trying to think of a "best for me" solution, knowing I'm not trying to "do the most" as the kids say, but also want to keep my car clean.

I'm thinking that most of the time, one of these rinseless wash options would be great to use in conjunction with microfiber towels. Just curious as to what to expect to use.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 07:30 AM   #17
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtougher View Post

I'm trying to think of a "best for me" solution, knowing I'm not trying to "do the most" as the kids say, but also want to keep my car clean.

I'm thinking that most of the time, one of these rinseless wash options would be great to use in conjunction with microfiber towels. Just curious as to what to expect to use.
Because my car is not *too* dirty when I do it, I use 2-3. 1-2 for the "wash" and 1 to buff.
Appreciate 1
xtougher571.00
      04-06-2024, 09:08 AM   #18
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:

I end up using roughly 5~6 towels. I never throw them away afterwards. I use them on wheels/tires after the body has been washed. Some stay clean enough to be washed and reused later. The main point of this method is to prevent damaging the paint and also speed up the time to wash the car.
Appreciate 1
xtougher571.00
      04-06-2024, 07:03 PM   #19
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

If you use DIY Detail rinseless or N914 V2 rinseless you can just use one sponge and one drying towel. ONR is not very good except in the meaningless jar tests. The reason you can do this with better rinseless washes is because they actually release dirt from the media pretty much 100% while ONR struggles to do so and doesn't clean as well so you can sometimes have dirt on your drying towel as well.
Appreciate 1
xtougher571.00
      04-06-2024, 09:52 PM   #20
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
My approach has been spray off the worst at the local car wash (if the car is really salty/dirty I sometimes even use soap), then drive home.

Then I wash with ONR using two buckets with grit guards and a single sponge in my garage. If the car still feels/looks gritty I will presoak with ONR as well.

Even on BSM I have not seen any sign of swirls (although getting full PPF soon to mitigate that risk). It might not be the perfect solution, but it has worked really well for me.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2024, 09:56 AM   #21
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

Quote:
user name checks out
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 12:05 AM   #22
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Because my car is not *too* dirty when I do it, I use 2-3. 1-2 for the "wash" and 1 to buff.
Quote:
I end up using roughly 5~6 towels. I never throw them away afterwards. I use them on wheels/tires after the body has been washed. Some stay clean enough to be washed and reused later. The main point of this method is to prevent damaging the paint and also speed up the time to wash the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
If you use DIY Detail rinseless or N914 V2 rinseless you can just use one sponge and one drying towel. ONR is not very good except in the meaningless jar tests. The reason you can do this with better rinseless washes is because they actually release dirt from the media pretty much 100% while ONR struggles to do so and doesn't clean as well so you can sometimes have dirt on your drying towel as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
My approach has been spray off the worst at the local car wash (if the car is really salty/dirty I sometimes even use soap), then drive home.

Then I wash with ONR using two buckets with grit guards and a single sponge in my garage. If the car still feels/looks gritty I will presoak with ONR as well.

Even on BSM I have not seen any sign of swirls (although getting full PPF soon to mitigate that risk). It might not be the perfect solution, but it has worked really well for me.
Thanks to all of you for the thoughts.

I know myself, and until now, I've never been consistent with the washing of the car throughout the entire time I've owned the car.

I go through phases. And with the schizophrenic weather here, I often do the "I'll wash it after the NEXT storm" and then there's always another one just a couple of days later, and then before I know it, the car is filthy.

So with a quicker option (that I've never tried), I'm intrigued.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0