home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-09-2024, 06:01 PM   #1
davecraig814
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW Golf R

Considering upgrading to an M2 from a 2018 Golf R

Hi crew. I appreciate all the G87 activity across this forum. This seems like a great community. I am considering a move to an M2 from my 2018 Golf R. Curious to hear if other folks here have made a similar jump:

-How does an M2 compare on rough roads? Freeway expansion joints and pot holes can be cringeworthy on impact in my stock golf r. Should I expect more compliance or less compliance in the M2?

-Rattles in door cards and dash: My Golf R drives me nuts with rattles and buzzing at 30,000 miles. Can I expect quieter plastics in the M2 or is this just part of driving?

-Seat comfort: My wife is not comfortable for longer road trips in the Golf. Side bolsters prevent her from getting naps in on longer road trips. How do your partners find the seat comfort in the standard-non carbon seats on weekend trips away?

-DSG vs Manual:The Golf is great for carving canyons but I find the car lacks emotion and excitement with its DSG, that lack of emotion coverts to a pretty easy daily however. Am I crazy for considering a manual M2 to bring some zest back into my driving life? How much more liveable does the automatic make the M2?

An M2 would serve as a weekend car and occasional daily runaround car for me. I am not commuting today. We have a Tacoma for skiing, mountainbiking, camping and my wife’s daily commute.

My dealer just let me know an allocation came available, but no M2’s are available to test drive at this point through my dealer.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 06:31 PM   #2
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Had lots of Vw’s.

M2 is easier to drive and has better dampening out of the box.
No torque steer and drives bigger than the vw.
It will feel more sure footed b/c of the FR platform and weight distribution.
M2 is a win especially with its rear diff and TCS options.
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2024, 06:40 PM   #3
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FWB

Watching this thread. I have a 2018 GTI with stick, and have gotten some helpful comparisons following my post here:

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2080914&page=3

A GTI is not an R, but there are enough overlaps that you may find that thread useful too.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2024, 06:47 PM   #4
BLKM
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecraig814 View Post
Hi crew. I appreciate all the G87 activity across this forum. This seems like a great community. I am considering a move to an M2 from my 2018 Golf R. Curious to hear if other folks here have made a similar jump:

-How does an M2 compare on rough roads? Freeway expansion joints and pot holes can be cringeworthy on impact in my stock golf r. Should I expect more compliance or less compliance in the M2?

-Rattles in door cards and dash: My Golf R drives me nuts with rattles and buzzing at 30,000 miles. Can I expect quieter plastics in the M2 or is this just part of driving?

-Seat comfort: My wife is not comfortable for longer road trips in the Golf. Side bolsters prevent her from getting naps in on longer road trips. How do your partners find the seat comfort in the standard-non carbon seats on weekend trips away?

-DSG vs Manual:The Golf is great for carving canyons but I find the car lacks emotion and excitement with its DSG, that lack of emotion coverts to a pretty easy daily however. Am I crazy for considering a manual M2 to bring some zest back into my driving life? How much more liveable does the automatic make the M2?

An M2 would serve as a weekend car and occasional daily runaround car for me. I am not commuting today. We have a Tacoma for skiing, mountainbiking, camping and my wife’s daily commute.

My dealer just let me know an allocation came available, but no M2’s are available to test drive at this point through my dealer.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
My wife’s car is 7.5 GTI purchased from new and currently has 30,000kms…. The rattles began from day one… I took delivery of my G87 MT in January with currently 5,000 kms on the dash and the two cars cannot be compared evenly in build quality, cabin space, road compliance and of course in performance

The G87 is a big step up compared to our GTI in particular in one major area… the G87 feels like its built to last and our GTI feels like it will not last out another 30,000kms

I moved from at 2016 Jaguar F-Type R into the G87 and its build quality and road compliance is comparable if not better than the Jag (the Jag had 35,000 Kms) as a daily and in Sports+ modes.

So far the G87 build quality and road compliance compares with my other car that being a Porsche 718 Spyder.

I’m rambling on about the comparisons of my cars as I feel the G87 is better compared with cars that are a notch or two above it as opposed to a Golf which is a notch below the M2.

As you can tell, I rate the G87 very highly and am enjoying the MT just as much as the MT in the Spyder… the M2 is a cracker of a car !

I’m sure you will not be disappointed

Good luck with your exciting decision!
Appreciate 1
M2siast5886.50
      04-09-2024, 06:59 PM   #5
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Just did this (7.5R to G87). Check my post history.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2024, 07:03 PM   #6
davecraig814
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Had lots of Vw’s.

M2 is easier to drive and has better dampening out of the box.
No torque steer and drives bigger than the vw.
It will feel more sure footed b/c of the FR platform and weight distribution.
M2 is a win especially with its rear diff and TCS options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKM View Post
My wife’s car is 7.5 GTI purchased from new and currently has 30,000kms…. The rattles began from day one… I took delivery of my G87 MT in January with currently 5,000 kms on the dash and the two cars cannot be compared evenly in build quality, cabin space, road compliance and of course in performance

The G87 is a big step up compared to our GTI in particular in one major area… the G87 feels like its built to last and our GTI feels like it will not last out another 30,000kms

I moved from at 2016 Jaguar F-Type R into the G87 and its build quality and road compliance is comparable if not better than the Jag (the Jag had 35,000 Kms) as a daily and in Sports+ modes.

So far the G87 build quality and road compliance compares with my other car that being a Porsche 718 Spyder.

I’m rambling on about the comparisons of my cars as I feel the G87 is better compared with cars that are a notch or two above it as opposed to a Golf which is a notch below the M2.

As you can tell, I rate the G87 very highly and am enjoying the MT just as much as the MT in the Spyder… the M2 is a cracker of a car !

Awesome input. I will keep you all posted!
Appreciate 1
BLKM40.50
      04-09-2024, 07:10 PM   #7
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

I went from a adaptive damper '16 golf R to a M340i and it was a notable step up across the board (build quality, sound insulation, ride, engine, you name it the bmw was better).... and while I've only had my M2 a couple days now I can already say it's another step up from the M340i. Stiffer ride but also really compliant in comfort mode, I don't know how M-division did it.

BMW manuals are a bit squishy, you should try to drive one and see if it's worth it for you cause the M-Division tuned ZF8 is a great auto box to fall back on if the manual isn't your thing
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2024, 07:45 PM   #8
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Had a 2016 manual Golf R and 2017 M240i at the same time, far preferred the M240i in terms of quality, build solidity handling and overall comfort. Golf R was a bit better in winter grip, but less fun than the RWD M240i. G87 is a significant step up from the M240i in all significant areas and has the best manual transmission feel of the 3 cars.

Although we only paid half as much after inflation adjustment for the Golf R (CAD$40,000 in 2015) compared with the M2, the M2 feels better value for what you get.
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2024, 11:26 PM   #9
BES418
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I just did this back in october. Had 2019 golf R 6spd. The R is a very good car and the utility makes up for any shortcomings. It was not my favorite. I used it as a commuter (nyc area) but mostly against traffic (reverse commutes).
The M2 is far superior car. Much better build quality. Leather where you expect, and bmwness where it should. Its also pure sports car or at least sports tourer versus bigger engined utility car. M2 much more planted and fun at higher speeds and rpm. Cant even compare the 2 engines. Ride quality far superior in m2 than golf r even with the bigger wheels/tires. On the golf r i switched to 18s very quickly as whoever designed that car with 19inch wheels must have a tire factory in their yard. The m2 just takes the roads better. I havnt had any issues with bumps and thats in and around nyc. The thrones in the m2 go without saying they are one of the better comfy sports car seats (i did not spec mine with the buckets. i.e. commuter car).
All in all m2 is much more fun, its just the next level when compared to golf r. Never had an issue in the R, just time to move on. If you can do it, I would.
2013 E82 135i 6MT Mineral Grey/Red
2016 500 Abarth 5MT Red/Black
Appreciate 3
BLKM40.50
ayilar16.00
      04-09-2024, 11:33 PM   #10
///MmmDonuts
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I just very recently came from a 2018 Golf R 6MT with DCC - stage 1 EQT and lowered on eibach pro springs. I bought a 2024 m2 8AT.

It is more compliant on rough roads for sure, I dodged everything in my R but the dampers in the m2 are much smoother. The R was comfortable and I think the m2 is even more so. I have the normal seats though.

Performance wise it's on another level. The R was quick with a tune but even before breakin I can tell this is a much faster car.

What you give up coming from the R is really just rear seat room and convenience of rear doors and a hatch. And AWD of course.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 12:50 AM   #11
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

The M2 is a fun car. And on another planet compared to a 'Hot Hatch' Go test M2 and decide - but do not bring check book
Appreciate 1
BLKM40.50
      04-10-2024, 03:26 AM   #12
rezok
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d 2018 / M2 G87

Had the R 7.5 with some basic mods (ECU, air, pads etc) and it wasnt slow.

The G87 is NIGHT AND DAY better. That's all you need to know.

In my mind compares to my 991.1 in many ways, an incredibly versatile and capable car, you will love it.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2024, 06:30 AM   #13
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Funny how many of us went R to M.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 06:46 AM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I posted this before on the M2 quality: it’s very Porsche-like in a good way. Tight, consistent panel gaps, things line up, the interior is very nice, although not as nice as full Leather M4 or 911, no rattle or shudders etc. It is a bit loud but that’s expected. You can hear the exhaust and engine and of course an inline six sounds awesome. The ride is firmer than a luxury sedan but livable for me. My biggest complaint would be the small gas tank especially if you do city driving. If you’re mainly highway, won’t be an issue. Also the throttle mapping takes a little time to get adjusted to. It’s very aggressive and you might think it’s trying to kill you at first.
Appreciate 3
      04-10-2024, 07:48 AM   #15
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES418 View Post
I just did this back in october. Had 2019 golf R 6spd. The R is a very good car and the utility makes up for any shortcomings. It was not my favorite. I used it as a commuter (nyc area) but mostly against traffic (reverse commutes).

The M2 is far superior car. Much better build quality. Leather where you expect, and bmwness where it should. It's also pure sports car or at least sports tourer versus bigger engined utility car. M2 much more planted and fun at higher speeds and rpm. Can't even compare the 2 engines.

Ride quality far superior in m2 than golf r even with the bigger wheels/tires. On the golf r i switched to 18s very quickly as whoever designed that car with 19inch wheels must have a tire factory in their yard. The m2 just takes the roads better. I havnt had any issues with bumps and thats in and around nyc. The thrones in the m2 go without saying they are one of the better comfy sports car seats (i did not spec mine with the buckets. i.e. commuter car).
Thank you, this is extremely helpful. You are covering most of the questions I have, as I am in similar circumstances. FWIW, my GTI Autobahn is completely stock with adjustable dampers and 18in wheels, and it offers a good handling/comfort compromise. I can't for the life of me understand why the 2024 GTI 380 and R come with 19in wheels -- the ride is substantially worse on the types of roads where I drive, as you have experienced too.

One matter that you have not covered is the noise level? In the city I don't care (vroom vroom is fun), but on the highway how do the R and G87 compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
It is a bit loud but that’s expected. You can hear the exhaust and engine and of course an inline six sounds awesome. The ride is firmer than a luxury sedan but livable for me. My biggest complaint would be the small gas tank especially if you do city driving. If you’re mainly highway, won’t be an issue. Also the throttle mapping takes a little time to get adjusted to. It’s very aggressive and you might think it’s trying to kill you at first.
Very helpful too, thank you. No M2 to drive around here, which is why comparisons like yours help.
2008 C350, Steel grey, 7A (sold)
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 09:19 AM   #16
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayilar View Post
Thank you, this is extremely helpful. You are covering most of the questions I have, as I am in similar circumstances. FWIW, my GTI Autobahn is completely stock with adjustable dampers and 18in wheels, and it offers a good handling/comfort compromise. I can't for the life of me understand why the 2024 GTI 380 and R come with 19in wheels -- the ride is substantially worse on the types of roads where I drive, as you have experienced too.

One matter that you have not covered is the noise level? In the city I don't care (vroom vroom is fun), but on the highway how do the R and G87 compare?

Very helpful too, thank you. No M2 to drive around here, which is why comparisons like yours help.
I talked at length in previous posts about cabin noise vs the Golf and my Cayman.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2024, 09:43 AM   #17
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
I talked at length in previous posts about cabin noise vs the Golf and my Cayman.
I know, and I appreciate it very much. As you had noted, "cabin noise is going to be really subjective" which is why I am trying to get as many experiences as I can.
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 10:10 AM   #18
m2not1LE
Private
Rep
Drives: GTI, M2 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKM View Post

My 2018 GTI MK 7.5 GTI Autobahn has 37,000 miles on it with absolutely no rattles or squeaks. It's built to a very high standard. Very good friend of mine has one of the finest BMW M collections in the country, including many late model M cars. Even he's positvely commented on the build quality of my GTI.

I have a 2025 M2 on order and will also be keeping my GTI.

I'm sure there are some G87 M2s with rattles and other issues you haven't experienced with your GTI. You sample size (two cars you happen it own) is just way to small to serve as a meaningful database on which such judgements can be made.

Only think I disliked in my GTI was the factory manual transmission shifter, which felt like a toy. Here's my solution, which happened 5 weeks after taking delivery of the car. (Black Forest Industries Billet aluminum Air Schwarz shifter with custom 6061-T6 adapter to maintain correct factory height and improve appearance (upper portion visible just under new ball):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141864...blic/lightbox/
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-10-2024, 11:51 AM   #19
BLKM
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2not1LE View Post
My 2018 GTI MK 7.5 GTI Autobahn has 37,000 miles on it with absolutely no rattles or squeaks. It's built to a very high standard. Very good friend of mine has one of the finest BMW M collections in the country, including many late model M cars. Even he's positvely commented on the build quality of my GTI.

I'm sure there are some G87 M2s with rattles and other issues you haven't experienced with your GTI. You sample size (two cars you happen it own) is just way to small to serve as a meaningful database on which such judgements can be made.

Only think I disliked in my GTI was the factory manual transmission shifter, which felt like a toy. Here's my solution, which happened 5 weeks after taking delivery of the car. (Black Forest Industries Billet aluminum Air Schwarz shifter with custom 6061-T6 adapter to maintain correct factory height and improve appearance (upper portion visible just under new ball):

It’s just my experience and my opinion on the two cars…
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 12:12 PM   #20
BokTroy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It’s really interesting reading the thread that so many people are coming from GTI/R to M2, me included. And from my experience my 68K mile Mk7.5 GTI has been rattle free and issue free from day 0 and waiting for M2 delivery in 3 weeks. I’ll be also keeping my GTI as well. Hopefully M2 will live up to the high build standards people are talking about.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2024, 12:39 PM   #21
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My 2018 GTI MK 7.5 GTI Autobahn has 37,000 miles on it with absolutely no rattles or squeaks. It's built to a very high standard (...) will also be keeping my GTI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BokTroy View Post
It’s really interesting reading the thread that so many people are coming from GTI/R to M2, me included. And from my experience my 68K mile Mk7.5 GTI has been rattle free and issue free from day 0 and waiting for M2 delivery in 3 weeks. I’ll be also keeping my GTI as well.
Same here. No issue or rattle in 5.5 years and 25k miles (knock on wood). Will also be keeping it (in the family) even if/when I get the M2.
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).
Appreciate 3
      04-10-2024, 02:20 PM   #22
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post