Drives: 2020 330

Mkght be easier have a list that doesnt have issue 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:52 AM   #376
Golf Shop Tom
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240 XDrive

Hello again all,

I talked to my BMW service manager in length about this problem. He said suspension issues have been present in other models too. (although I don't recall which ones)

It sure seems like a run of bad adaptive shocks and/or mounts.

I am having the right rear mount and shock replaced in two weeks. Can't get it in sooner as they are slammed. I will let you all know if it fixes the issue. Some are reporting this has worked. Others, no cigar, noise still persists. Garbage back in, garbage back out perhaps.

You can be sure that if this does not fix the issue, I will have the dealership continue looking as long as they don't arrest me.

To be continued......,
Appreciate 2
Fronzdan305.50
TJZ67201842.50
      04-18-2024, 03:58 PM   #377
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Thanks for the update! Maybe there’s light at the end of the tunnel. 🙌🏻
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:21 PM   #378
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
We really should write a letter to corporate and have everyone who has this sign it with their VINs.
yes along with all the duff headlamps out there,ive not seen one locally without bad condensation issues.....shocking
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:12 AM   #379
Tryboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 330

After about a year now and not seeing much progress, I decided to formally have my suspension inspected by the dealer so we all can document. Turns out my right rear strut is actually leaking so they have ordered a new strut and top mount from Germany. Ill report back once its repaired.

Havent heard anyone else report leakage. My car has 7500 miles
Appreciate 1
Fronzdan305.50
      04-25-2024, 04:09 PM   #380
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That’s really interesting. Isolated/separate incident or does the thump actually lead to this problem? The “coincidences” are really piled up here.

I still haven’t formally had the dealer look at it. I’ve mentioned the problem to corporate. At my first official service I’ll do the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 05:27 PM   #381
BNezzy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i, Honda S2000

Hi all, I'm not sure if this will be a fix for you, but I had noticed the same noise most of you are reporting. I've had my 2024 for a little over a month. I assumed the noise was from the harshness of the run flats combined with the adaptive suspension. I noticed the noise in sport and comfort, and was assuming something was loose on the rear suspension. In hunting things down, I noticed my battery cover, basically the entire trunk floor just sits there with no gasket or absorption material and in pushing on the lid around the edges the noise sounded exactly like what I was hearing. I pulled it up and lined the edges with little felt furniture stick on pads. The lid is now silent and I'm not hearing the noise when I drive. Was a cheap fix for me and maybe worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 05:37 PM   #382
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I thought someone completely removed the trunk floor and it didn’t make a difference. I have some stuff in there that’s pretty heavy and it still makes the sound. But hell I’ll try messing with it. It does have a loose rattle sound to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 12:16 AM   #383
Damiuki
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Hi everyone, I'm new here with a 24' RWD. I have exactly the same problem as most, that annoying noise in the rear right, but I also have another one that is much less noticeable, very soft, but it is there and it is very annoying. It is also on the right side but at the front, every time I go through a speed hump, when it goes up, and when it goes down, and it is felt in the right wheel and I can even feel it as if it were coming from the steering column. I've had the car for 500 miles and these noises really have me very disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 04:48 AM   #384
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
I thought someone completely removed the trunk floor and it didn’t make a difference. I have some stuff in there that’s pretty heavy and it still makes the sound. But hell I’ll try messing with it. It does have a loose rattle sound to it.
It’s not the trunk floor. That was ruled out probably a year ago.

In fact a long time ago I removed the trunk floor and the sound was still there. Others have done the same.

If you have stuff in the trunk then you already know the answer…it’s not the trunk floor as it’s not going to bounce around with stuff on it.

That guy just seemed to luck out and not have the suspension thump.

It’s already been proven to the be strut. Replace with aftermarket and sound is gone for good.
Appreciate 2
Fronzdan305.50
hooked190.00
      04-29-2024, 10:58 PM   #385
Golf Shop Tom
Rep

In response to Tryboz's post, I also had a leak in the right rear shock in addition to the noise that was detected by the chassis ears the dealer used to document the issue. Why is it the right rear that seems to be surfacing in about 80% of the cases discussed here? I posed this to my service manager who is also a BMW master tech. He explained that the right rear of the car takes the majority of the torque yada yada yada.
Understanding that is beyond my field of expertise. As for the gent that replaced both rear shocks with aftermarket, can you please tell me what shocks you used? Anyone know a brand that would be considered an upgrade? Thanks you all...,
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 05:05 AM   #386
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Shop Tom View Post
In response to Tryboz's post, I also had a leak in the right rear shock in addition to the noise that was detected by the chassis ears the dealer used to document the issue. Why is it the right rear that seems to be surfacing in about 80% of the cases discussed here? I posed this to my service manager who is also a BMW master tech. He explained that the right rear of the car takes the majority of the torque yada yada yada.
Understanding that is beyond my field of expertise. As for the gent that replaced both rear shocks with aftermarket, can you please tell me what shocks you used? Anyone know a brand that would be considered an upgrade? Thanks you all...,
So if you strut was leaking I assume they replaced it? Did the thump go away for good? Why am I thinking it didn’t go away.

Your tech saying it’s because the right rear takes most of the torque is BS.

My car made the thump when it was brand new. The strut hadn’t experienced any hard accelerations nor is leaking 9k miles later but the sound is there.

BMW just has zero clue.

As for aftermarket struts the only people that have replaced them have been with coilovers. Really any coilover will fix the issue, it just so happens the ones they got are some of the most expensive on the market since they do not delete the EDC but still integrate with it. The bilstein evo se. they cost 3k, but like I said you can get cheaper coilovers and then do an edc delete and it will fix the issue.

You could also look into if bilstein makes struts and then get those and pair them with aftermarket springs. It doesn’t have to be replaced with coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 05:17 AM   #387
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
As for the gent that replaced both rear shocks with aftermarket, can you please tell me what shocks you used? Anyone know a brand that would be considered an upgrade? Thanks you all...,
Not me (yet), but at least 2 members have installed Bilstein EVO SE coilovers. In particular, I drove user BoilerM’s car in person and confirmed the thump is GONE. The car also handles much better, but is a bit more firm. Worth the trade off by a long shot in my opinion.

I wanted to hold out just a little bit longer. But needless to say, I will definitely be ordering and installing EVO SEs before next fall.

Don’t go with just lowering springs. That will not resolve the thump and will most likely blow out the stock shocks in a short time.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 08:08 AM   #388
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
It’s not the trunk floor. That was ruled out probably a year ago.

In fact a long time ago I removed the trunk floor and the sound was still there. Others have done the same.

If you have stuff in the trunk then you already know the answer…it’s not the trunk floor as it’s not going to bounce around with stuff on it.

That guy just seemed to luck out and not have the suspension thump.

It’s already been proven to the be strut. Replace with aftermarket and sound is gone for good.
This. And I'll add it's not the rear shelf either. It's the BMW (Monroe) strut(s). Full stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 08:48 AM   #389
Troy1972
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
So if you strut was leaking I assume they replaced it? Did the thump go away for good? Why am I thinking it didn’t go away.

Your tech saying it’s because the right rear takes most of the torque is BS.

My car made the thump when it was brand new. The strut hadn’t experienced any hard accelerations nor is leaking 9k miles later but the sound is there.

BMW just has zero clue.

As for aftermarket struts the only people that have replaced them have been with coilovers. Really any coilover will fix the issue, it just so happens the ones they got are some of the most expensive on the market since they do not delete the EDC but still integrate with it. The bilstein evo se. they cost 3k, but like I said you can get cheaper coilovers and then do an edc delete and it will fix the issue.

You could also look into if bilstein makes struts and then get those and pair them with aftermarket springs. It doesn’t have to be replaced with coilovers.
I never had the thump but I just wanted to improve the handling of the car. The reason I wanted to keep the EDC is because most of the time I use it as a daily driver and the cheaper coilovers without EDC are all pretty firm. Besides that, if I trade in the car I dont have to change the coilovers again because everything feel and operated like OEM with only better handling.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:10 PM   #390
Golf Shop Tom
Rep

Hello All,
As promised I am supplying an update on my replaced OEM right rear shock, mount and hardware under factory warranty. I picked up the car tonight from the dealer and have driven it about 20 miles since. To test I drove over all the local roads that have consistently brought on the dreaded noise we all love so much.
I would say, at least for now, it is conservatively a 90% improvement. I wish I could say it left completely but it is very infrequent and very muffled when it occurs. You have to really be listening for it.
This I can live with for sure. I will report back after I have a larger sample period. Hopefully the new parts will continue to act as they are now.

*As a side note my loaner car today was a 2024 I4 M50. Pretty wicked I must say.
The electric car is super quick to accelerate and stop. Lovely ride and the steering is less vague than in the M240. It appears that BMW has listened to that beef and started to address it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:57 AM   #391
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hello All,
As promised I am supplying an update on my replaced OEM right rear shock, mount and hardware under factory warranty. I picked up the car tonight from the dealer and have driven it about 20 miles since. To test I drove over all the local roads that have consistently brought on the dreaded noise we all love so much.
I would say, at least for now, it is conservatively a 90% improvement. I wish I could say it left completely but it is very infrequent and very muffled when it occurs. You have to really be listening for it.
This I can live with for sure. I will report back after I have a larger sample period. Hopefully the new parts will continue to act as they are now.

*As a side note my loaner car today was a 2024 I4 M50. Pretty wicked I must say.
The electric car is super quick to accelerate and stop. Lovely ride and the steering is less vague than in the M240. It appears that BMW has listened to that beef and started to address it.
Can you provide a part number for the strut? So far we haven’t seen a new # but just curious.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:25 AM   #392
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Curious if the test driving was with the dampers set at hardest level?
Appreciate 0