E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Managing Run-Flats & Condition Based Servicing

08-17-2024, 07:03 PM   #1
Neal M
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 320d

Managing Run-Flats & Condition Based Servicing

FIRST POST, SO HOPE I'M IN THE RIGHT PLACE

We recently purchased a 2018 320d that's only travelled 3,000kM per year, and it's our first BMW, I'm trying to get my head around its technology, and with the Condition Based Servicing (CBS) and no spare wheel in particular.

The background to this post is:

1) The vehicle's previous owner followed the CBS requirements, and so in 6 years there's only been a "check" and an oil and filter change in Dec 2021 😵;
2) The vehicle's fitted with run-flat Pirelli Sports having ~70% tread

So my questions (likely the first of many to this Forum) are:

1) As I couldn't get my "old" head around not servicing a diesel engine every 10k kM or 12 months, despite what the CBS recommends, I've had the engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and cabin filter changed.
👉 WHAT ELSE SHOULD I NOW BE SERVICING; intake manifold perhaps?

2) We do around 30% extra-urban driving, and again, I can't get my "old" head around run-flats, particularly as I don't know about the availability of tyres to suit our 320d in rural areas.

👉 SHOULD I BE PURCHASING A SPACE-SAVER AND TRUNK ADAPTOR TO STORE IT OR....

👉 A MOBILITY KIT, THAT I ASSUME INCLUDES A JACK AND A SOCKET TO SUIT THE STRANGE SHAPED WHEEL NUTS (anti-theft?) OR...

👉 SHOULD I DITCH THE RUN-FLATS WITH 70% TREAD AND FIT CONVENTIONAL TYRES

👉 IF A SPACE-SAVER IS RECOMMENDED, THEN CAN THE TRUNK ADAPTOR TAKE A FULL-SIZE FLAT?

A lot of questions first up, but hope the Forum can enlighten me.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2024, 01:56 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal M View Post
FIRST POST, SO HOPE I'M IN THE RIGHT PLACE

We recently purchased a 2018 320d that's only travelled 3,000kM per year, and it's our first BMW, I'm trying to get my head around its technology, and with the Condition Based Servicing (CBS) and no spare wheel in particular.

The background to this post is:

1) The vehicle's previous owner followed the CBS requirements, and so in 6 years there's only been a "check" and an oil and filter change in Dec 2021 ��;
2) The vehicle's fitted with run-flat Pirelli Sports having ~70% tread

So my questions (likely the first of many to this Forum) are:

1) As I couldn't get my "old" head around not servicing a diesel engine every 10k kM or 12 months, despite what the CBS recommends, I've had the engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and cabin filter changed.
�� WHAT ELSE SHOULD I NOW BE SERVICING; intake manifold perhaps?

2) We do around 30% extra-urban driving, and again, I can't get my "old" head around run-flats, particularly as I don't know about the availability of tyres to suit our 320d in rural areas.

�� SHOULD I BE PURCHASING A SPACE-SAVER AND TRUNK ADAPTOR TO STORE IT OR....

�� A MOBILITY KIT, THAT I ASSUME INCLUDES A JACK AND A SOCKET TO SUIT THE STRANGE SHAPED WHEEL NUTS (anti-theft?) OR...

�� SHOULD I DITCH THE RUN-FLATS WITH 70% TREAD AND FIT CONVENTIONAL TYRES

�� IF A SPACE-SAVER IS RECOMMENDED, THEN CAN THE TRUNK ADAPTOR TAKE A FULL-SIZE FLAT?

A lot of questions first up, but hope the Forum can enlighten me.

Hi Neal
Welcome aboard
The forum here is pretty quite these days
Most people have moved onto facebook forums
There are a few including a dedicated chat group for technical issues

All that said Ill see if I can help you with your questions

CBS is a good guideline to follow but not essential unless you have some kind of conditional warranty with the car, but if not, then the usual maintenance program of regular oil changes, fluids, brakes etc should be applied as you would with any other car
The 320d are pretty reliable and can take a beating (well the old ones anyway) and I am not aware of any particular issues with your model
So keep the maintenance up and you should have years of reliable driving ahead
If you are unsure of the service history of the car, then a trip to a experienced indy mechanic to give a checked over would be time well spent.
I would not take it to a dealership, they charge like wounded bulls and generally have poor customer service (but if you have deep pockets then make your own call)

In relation to run flats, they are a great for the rare instances when you get a flat but the trade off is they are rigid and give a poor quality ride and more road noise in general
Almost everyone I know ditches them in favour for normal tires and a goo kit
In the 14 years I have had my E92, I have never found myself stuck because of the lack of a spare tire or run flats
That said if they have heaps of tread, no problem in wearing them out before upgrading
I really wouldnt bother with a space saver wheel but once again its personal choice if you have the room to carry one
Also you can ditch those anti theft lug nuts. They are a complete waste of time and just make life hard when changing tires (assuming you dont lose the lock nut)
The crims can easily remove them and if they really want to steal your wheels

Anyway welcome to the forum, hope this has helped

�� WHAT ELSE SHOULD I NOW BE SERVICING; intake manifold perhaps? Hard to say, I would take it to an indy mechanic who is experienced with your model and get it looked over

�� SHOULD I BE PURCHASING A SPACE-SAVER AND TRUNK ADAPTOR TO STORE IT OR.... I wouldn't but if you have the space and feel strongly about it, then sure why not

�� A MOBILITY KIT, THAT I ASSUME INCLUDES A JACK AND A SOCKET TO SUIT THE STRANGE SHAPED WHEEL NUTS (anti-theft?) OR... I would ditch the anti theft nuts and replace with standard wheel nuts. I would get a goo kit and an electric pump to get you out of trouble if you do get a flat out on the road

�� SHOULD I DITCH THE RUN-FLATS WITH 70% TREAD AND FIT CONVENTIONAL TYRES. Yes definitely, but no need to until they run out of tread

�� IF A SPACE-SAVER IS RECOMMENDED, THEN CAN THE TRUNK ADAPTOR TAKE A FULL-SIZE FLAT. I doubt a full size wheel would fit but that is just an educated guess

Last edited by Socket; 08-26-2024 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
jzx_andy245.00
      08-28-2024, 02:33 AM   #3
Neal M
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 320d

Thanks very much for your reply and advice.

I've tried twice to post this reply, but the site keeps logging me out before I can hit "submit reply".

Anyway, I'll keep it brief lest I get logged out again, but suffice to say that I'll be keeping the run-flats until they need replacing, at which time I'll go conventional, AND I'll purchase aftermarket air and cabin filters online, and fit them myself....BMW wanted almost $600 to supply and fit!!!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 07:35 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal M View Post
Thanks very much for your reply and advice.

I've tried twice to post this reply, but the site keeps logging me out before I can hit "submit reply".

Anyway, I'll keep it brief lest I get logged out again, but suffice to say that I'll be keeping the run-flats until they need replacing, at which time I'll go conventional, AND I'll purchase aftermarket air and cabin filters online, and fit them myself....BMW wanted almost $600 to supply and fit!!!

Thanks again!
You are welcome Neal... best of luck and happy motoring
Appreciate 0