F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > kafas vs fla
GetBMWParts

12-18-2023, 03:06 AM   #1
L3NNY
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 320d Xdrive Touring (f31)

kafas vs fla

Ok so is the fla camera the same as the kafas but the only difference is fla does not need a new windscreen?? All features are still possible?

Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 11:55 AM   #2
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

The FLA camera only provides high beams assist functionality.

KAFAS supplies functionality for adaptive headlights, speed limit detection, lane departure warning etc. KAFAS and FLA cameras are built into the area by your rear view mirror so that would need changing, plus the windscreen as I believe there's a portion without the black pattern on the glass for the camera to operate out of.

Last edited by fortythirtyfive; 12-19-2023 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 12:19 PM   #3
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

i think the most significant function of the KAFAS2 camera that FLA camera doesnt have, has to do with object detection in front of you. it can auto brake in cruise control if it detects a car in front of you, and of course it auto brakes in other situations if it thinks a collision is imminent.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 01:21 PM   #4
L3NNY
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 320d Xdrive Touring (f31)

I thought the FLA DID do SLI …. Is that not right?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 02:10 PM   #5
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post

KAFAS supplies functionality for adaptive headlights, speed limit detection, lane departure warning etc. KAFAS and FLA cameras are built into your rear view mirror so that would need changing, plus the windscreen as I believe there's a portion without the black pattern on the glass for the camera to operate out of.
NGHB is possible on FLA also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3NNY View Post
I thought the FLA DID do SLI …. Is that not right?

No you can use an emulator that uses Nav data for SLI but for the full functionality you need KAFAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post

KAFAS supplies functionality for adaptive headlights, speed limit detection, lane departure warning etc. KAFAS and FLA cameras are built into your rear view mirror so that would need changing, plus the windscreen as I believe there's a portion without the black pattern on the glass for the camera to operate out of.
FLA is inside the mirror. KAFAS mounts to the windshield above the mirror. You need new glass however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
i think the most significant function of the KAFAS2 camera that FLA camera doesnt have, has to do with object detection in front of you. it can auto brake in cruise control if it detects a car in front of you, and of course it auto brakes in other situations if it thinks a collision is imminent.

To clarify here KAFAS provides emergency brake assist only- it does not provide any ACC functionality *On F3x*. ACC uses a radar sensor in the lower bumper which also provides additional (more accurate) Emergency braking function

Last edited by smrtypants44; 12-18-2023 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0