F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android 11 / 12 /13 HU discussion
Studio RSR

03-30-2024, 06:05 PM   #2619
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamanix View Post
Hi! For beta versions, the trial is extended by updating. This application is currently in beta testing and cannot be purchased. Turn on automatic updates in the settings, Today I have updated to the next version in this way. The period of use has been reset to zero.

Car Car launcher is a banal program. Without connection to the car. The program is universal for any car and HU and tablet. This program is convenient for split mode and no more
It has a couple of problems with maps.
A.
I have a preset (preset#4) with a single application - Google maps
I click the preset button and maps open full screen.
I ask Google assistant to navigate to the closest petrol station.
The map shows the path and navigation begins.
I press the HOME button which takes me to the carcarlauncher.
There, I see a split screen (preset#1 poweramp with maps) where maps section is just a black square.
If I press preset#4 again, the whole screen is black (because Google maps opens in full screen)
I have to kill Google maps to reset it.

SOLUTION FOUND: Disable 'Picture in Picture' in Apps/Google maps

B.
Disable 'Picture in Picture' in Apps/Google maps.
I have a preset (preset#1) with poweramp and maps.
I ask Google assistant to navigate to the closest petrol station in maps.
I have to specify 'in maps' otherwise navigation won't start.
Full screen maps opens and navigation starts.
I have to press the home button to return to split screen.

Not a huge issue, since we can long press the menu button on the iDrive controller to go home.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 12:45 PM   #2620
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

FYI:
I was fed up with youtube advertising.
So I downloaded and tested SmartTube from here:
https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTub...ses/tag/21.54s

I downloaded SmartTube_stable_21.54_arm64-v8a.apk from above, and installed on the HU.
Once inside, there is a section in settings letting you log in with your youtube account - just follow the directions on the screen.
Every time it blocks some advertising, it will show a message on screen for a couple of seconds. You can even disable those.
I like it.

Last edited by conandrum; 03-31-2024 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 03:01 PM   #2621
Shamanix
Second Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: X6M E71, E63 645Ci, F01 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrum View Post
FYI:
I was fed up with youtube advertising.
So I downloaded and tested SmartTube from here:
https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTub...ses/tag/21.54s

I downloaded SmartTube_stable_21.54_arm64-v8a.apk from above, and installed on the HU.
Once inside, there is a section in settings letting you log in with your youtube account - just follow the directions on the screen.
Every time it blocks some advertising, it will show a message on screen for a couple of seconds. You can even disable those.
I like it.
I prefer this kind of software

youtube-vanced and music
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2024, 03:04 PM   #2622
Shamanix
Second Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: X6M E71, E63 645Ci, F01 750

Quote:
It has a couple of problems with maps.
CarCar Launcher is convenient and hassle-free when used together with another launcher, only in one case - if you have configured your HU for use with Carplay. I don't know how things are with Android Auto. In other cases, there will be conflicting situations with the programs. Some programs will not work simultaneously in both CarCar and KSW, or on the contrary, you will get duplication and asynchronous operation of the application.

I set it up like this

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 03:44 PM   #2623
Mayerding
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C180 W205

Problem with the voice commands from Google Maps

Hi from Germany,
I'm new here. I have a Mercedes C180 W205 with Snapdragon662/8GB/128GB HU.
Android version is 13 (Kernel version: 4.19.157).
I've bought the HU from a German reseller (https://carhex.de/) who also installed the HU in my car.
I am using the HU with a SIM card; I don't use Android Auto/ Apple Carplay.

I have a problem with the voice commands from Google Maps.
The sounds from all Apps are played on the Mercedes speakers. But the voice commands from Google Maps are sometimes played on a small accessory speaker in the footwell on the passenger's side (see photo), but sometimes on the normal Mercedes speakers (it even changes during one ride).
The problem is that as long as the Google Maps voice commands are played on the accessory speaker, I don't get sound from any other (music) app. The sound from the other (music) apps can then only be heard superimposed on the Google Maps voice commands (on the small accessory speaker) for the short duration of the voice commands.
My reseller told me to disable the "FL Speaker" in the extended settings. This has improved the situation. But occasionally the Google Maps voice commands are still played via this annoying small accessory speaker.

The sound converter is in the center armrest and is connected to a Mercedes USB port there (see photo; sorry, I'm don't know a lot about the HU technique yet).

Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

Would it be helpful to remove the accessory speaker? Or will I not hear the voice commands at all then?

I've created a PDF file with my settings (translated to English).

Thank you for your help!

Philipp
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Settings.pdf (145.6 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Mayerding; 04-01-2024 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:41 PM   #2624
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerding View Post
My reseller told me to disable the "FL Speaker" in the extended settings. This has improved the situation. But occasionally the Google Maps voice commands are still played via this annoying small accessory speaker.

The sound converter is in the center armrest and is connected to a Mercedes USB port there (see photo; sorry, I'm don't know a lot about the HU technique yet).
I have not encountered this problem.
I have not connected the small speaker to my harness.
I have the "FL Speaker" enabled but never had sound come out of my FL speaker (it may work if I have navigation in progress and I switch to an OEM sound source but have not tested this).
I do not know what the sound converter is. I use a USB DAC connected to a USB port on the Android HU and all sound is coming out of it (except DTV & BT calls).

BTW. You may need to upgrade your firmware? We are on 1.5.5 at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 07:14 PM   #2625
MysticMan
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLK 350

My seller told me to go:
Ksw-R-M600_OS_v2.4.4-ota.zip
Ksw-S-M600_OS_v1.5.4NEXAI-ota.zip
Ksw-T-M600_OS_v1.5.6-ota.zip

That's a lot less steps than what other member are suggesting here. Does it really take one upgrade for each Android version?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 07:32 PM   #2626
zz138
Rep
Drives: F30

Placeholder
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 10:18 AM   #2627
Mayerding
Rep

Firmware

Quote:
I have not encountered this problem.
I have not connected the small speaker to my harness.
I have the "FL Speaker" enabled but never had sound come out of my FL speaker (it may work if I have navigation in progress and I switch to an OEM sound source but have not tested this).
I do not know what the sound converter is. I use a USB DAC connected to a USB port on the Android HU and all sound is coming out of it (except DTV & BT calls).

BTW. You may need to upgrade your firmware? We are on 1.5.5 at least.
Thank you very much for your answer .
Sorry, I just called it sound converter. I don't know what it does exactly; there is no labeling on it .

I don't know if I'm ready to take to risk to update the firmware. Does the newer firmware have any advantages except for the possibility that my "accessory speaker bug" disappears? Is there any documentation on the firmware versions (haven't found any in this thread)?

Philipp
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 03:02 PM   #2628
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much for your answer .
Sorry, I just called it sound converter. I don't know what it does exactly; there is no labeling on it .

I don't know if I'm ready to take to risk to update the firmware. Does the newer firmware have any advantages except for the possibility that my "accessory speaker bug" disappears? Is there any documentation on the firmware versions (haven't found any in this thread)?

Philipp
There should be zero risk updating the firmware. Same thing as updating your phone. Just make sure your battery is full or your car is running until it is finished. Takes a few minutes.

I do not know if updating will fix the bug. All I know is that I do not have it with the newer firmware.
I am not even sure anyone can tell you if this particular bug existed and has been fixed but you can try asking here:
https://discord.com/channels/7024375...49397759000637
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 03:41 PM   #2629
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

WiFi antenna placement E71

Before I forget, here is how I installed my WiFi antenna.
I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the perfect place for it and this is where I ended up placing it.
I removed my middle speaker and found a flat area of the right size on the far side of the speaker. The area is part of the speaker enclosure, in the direction of the engine.
The wires can be directed out of the speaker enlosure and around it, towards the front of the enclosure where the HU will be installed.
Wrap and tidy any excess cable and leave a couple of feet for ease of installation later on.
When done, replace the middle speaker.
Check out the photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 04:15 PM   #2630
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

GPS antenna placement E71

Before I forget, here is how I installed my GPS antenna.
I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the perfect place for it and this is where I ended up placing it.
I was rummaging around behind the dashboard just above the start button and found a flat area of the right size. The area is right next to the speed dials in the direction of the driver.
The area in question is not entirely flat, but there is about 3 inches by 3 inches of almost flat surface.
Because of the uncertainty of total flatness and the risk of having to find another place if this did not work out, I decided to go with velcro.
I installed the hard/hook type on the bottom of the GPS antenna, and glued the soft/loop type on the area in question (with some patience).
After that, installation was a breeze and reception is very good. No movement at all, and I do not think it will be going anywhere!

Wrap and tidy any excess cable and leave a couple of feet for ease of installation later on.
Check out the photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by conandrum; 04-02-2024 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 06:10 PM   #2631
MysticMan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticMan View Post
My seller told me to go:
Ksw-R-M600_OS_v2.4.4-ota.zip
Ksw-S-M600_OS_v1.5.4NEXAI-ota.zip
Ksw-T-M600_OS_v1.5.6-ota.zip

That's a lot less steps than what other member are suggesting here. Does it really take one upgrade for each Android version?
I've been able to do these steps, without a factory reset. Had to disable a KSW Overlay and toggle off KSW Toolkit 2 to trigger the pop up.

However I couldn't upgrade to Ksw-T-M600_OS_v1.5.8-ota.zip after that, USB or placing it in the root of device, no pop up.

Last edited by MysticMan; 04-02-2024 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 06:49 PM   #2632
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've been able to do these steps, without a factory reset. Had to disable a KSW Overlay and toggle off KSW Toolkit 2 to trigger the pop up.

However I couldn't upgrade to Ksw-T-M600_OS_v1.5.8-ota.zip after that, USB or placing it in the root of device, no pop up.
As I said I am on 1.5.5 and do not experience the bug.
If you are on Ksw-T-M600_OS_v1.5.6-ota.zip do some tests to see if the bug is gone.

PS. if you are not getting the usual pop-up for firmware update, you may need to do a factory reset (you will have to reinstall apps and configure settings again).
If the bug is gone though, you do not have to reset.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 07:42 PM   #2633
MysticMan
Rep

Quote:
As I said I am on 1.5.5 and do not experience the bug.
If you are on Ksw-T-M600_OS_v1.5.6-ota.zip do some tests to see if the bug is gone.

PS. if you are not getting the usual pop-up for firmware update, you may need to do a factory reset (you will have to reinstall apps and configure settings again).
If the bug is gone though, you do not have to reset.
I'm happy with v1.5.6 so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:43 AM   #2634
ChristianH5555
Rep
Drives: F20 116d LCI

Quote:
Before I forget, here is how I installed my GPS antenna....
Is there any possibility to get the GPS signal from the TCB box in newer cars? Like it was possible with GPS Splitter in the past? Because in newer cars where the GPS signal is coming from the TCB Box there is no GPS cable to the Headunit anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:22 AM   #2635
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianH5555 View Post
Is there any possibility to get the GPS signal from the TCB box in newer cars? Like it was possible with GPS Splitter in the past? Because in newer cars where the GPS signal is coming from the TCB Box there is no GPS cable to the Headunit anymore.
For all practical reasons, this is not possible. However if you're determined enough, skilled with soldering and equipped to deal fakra plugs, then yes, it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 02:05 PM   #2636
Mayerding
Rep

OS update order

Quote:
There should be zero risk updating the firmware. Same thing as updating your phone. Just make sure your battery is full or your car is running until it is finished. Takes a few minutes.

I do not know if updating will fix the bug. All I know is that I do not have it with the newer firmware.
I am not even sure anyone can tell you if this particular bug existed and has been fixed but you can try asking here:
https://discord.com/channels/7024375...49397759000637
Thank you! I am considering upgrading.

The first post in this thread says I should stick to this order:
1.3.1 -> 1.3.5 -> 1.4.0 -> 1.4.3 -> 1.4.5 -> 2.2.3 -> latest = 2.4.4

However, the OS-files in the linked mega-folder are different: 1.1.3, 1.1.9, 1.2.0, 1.2.9, 1.3.8, 1.4.0, 1.4.4, 1.4.8, 1.5.0, 1.5.5, 1.5.8

I have v1.2.9 now. Would I need to upgrade in this order then? 1.3.8 -> 1.4.0 -> 1.4.4 -> 1.4.8 -> 1.5.0 -> 1.5.5 -> 1.5.8

I will also contact the discord-forum. thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 02:10 PM   #2637
MysticMan
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! I am considering upgrading.

The first post in this thread says I should stick to this order:
1.3.1 -> 1.3.5 -> 1.4.0 -> 1.4.3 -> 1.4.5 -> 2.2.3 -> latest = 2.4.4

However, the OS-files in the linked mega-folder are different: 1.1.3, 1.1.9, 1.2.0, 1.2.9, 1.3.8, 1.4.0, 1.4.4, 1.4.8, 1.5.0, 1.5.5, 1.5.8

I have v1.2.9 now. Would I need to upgrade in this order then? 1.3.8 -> 1.4.0 -> 1.4.4 -> 1.4.8 -> 1.5.0 -> 1.5.5 -> 1.5.8

I will also contact the discord-forum. thanks for the advice
The version numbers are different for Android 11, 12 and 13.
2.4.4 is the last Android 11

Last edited by MysticMan; 04-03-2024 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 03:46 PM   #2638
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Exclamation Google Assistant playlists with tasker

Quote:
Poweramp.prj.xml
I have made a small project using tasker for our KSW head units.
The purpose of this tasker project is to help other projects/tasks with Poweramp playback of tracks & playlists and to specify shuffling modes.
Additional Info
You will notice that there are 2 ways of triggering playlist playback.
1. by playlist id
2. by name search
The latter, are targeted by name because I have no idea what id they were assigned, and I do not want to know (hundreds of playlists).
You will also notice that these tasks have weird names:
e.g. Poweramp Playlist 19.8.0s

The reason is because I want to run these with Google Assistant Routines.
Google Assistant will otherwise refuse to execute a Tasker task which contains a year (e.g. a routine containing 'run Poweramp Playlist 1980s in tasker' will ask me when I would like to be reminded... Whaaat! LOL)!

The thinking behind this is that I wanted to say this to the assistant:
'Hey Google, play nineteen eighties' and my 1980's playlist would play.
And this is exacly what happens with these tasks.
11 days later and Google assistant is again rejecting to execute tasker tasks which play playlists of decades like 1980s, 1990s, 2010s etc.
Instead it is again trying to create a reminder for me ("When do you want to be reminded?")!

The same thing happened last time - my GA commands used to be "run poweramp playlist 1970s with tasker" and when they stopped working I changed them to "run poweramp playlist 19.7.0s with tasker".

That is soooo devious of them... I get the feeling that there is a conscious effort on behalf of Google to dedicate phrases like 'play 1980s' to youtube music or spotify otherwise I cannot understand why this is happening?

It looks like I will have to rename the tasks again to some other logical sequence (maybe lose the numbers altogether).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:15 PM   #2639
Mayerding
Rep

Quote:
The version numbers are different for Android 11, 12 and 13.
2.4.4 is the last Android 11
Thank you for the info!

I found out (in the Discord Forum) that the Google Maps error is probably independent from the firmware version. A fix for this is planned for toolkit by Snaggle (https://discord.com/channels/7024375...07416784506881).

But this brings me to another newbee question (sorry for this):
There seem to be two tools that can increase usability and flexibility for the android device:
- KSW Toolkit
- Flowux synesthesia

Do they both completely replace the "standard menu" (see photo of my current menu)?
Is it easy uninstall these tools if I don't like them or if they don't work correctly?

From what I found using different resources, these two seem to have a different range of functions:
KSW toolkit e.g. allows for remapping of hardware buttons and has automatic day/night switching.
Flowux e.g. can show (Spotify) album covers and (Google) navigation maps behind the buttons of the main menu.

Is it correct that Flowux synesthesia is more about looks and KSW toolkit is more about functionality?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:45 PM   #2640
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There seem to be two tools that can increase usability and flexibility for the android device:
- KSW Toolkit
- Flowux synesthesia

Do they both completely replace the "standard menu" (see photo of my current menu)?
Is it easy uninstall these tools if I don't like them or if they don't work correctly?

From what I found using different resources, these two seem to have a different range of functions:
KSW toolkit e.g. allows for remapping of hardware buttons and has automatic day/night switching.
Flowux e.g. can show (Spotify) album covers and (Google) navigation maps behind the buttons of the main menu.

Is it correct that Flowux synesthesia is more about looks and KSW toolkit is more about functionality?
KSWToolkit is a tool and I use it for those exact two applications.
FlowUX is not a tool but a very capable launcher that replaces the current launcher. Personally I bought it, but I do not use it because the current launcher allows me to have more custom buttons on my main screen.

Also do not forget CarCarLauncher which I am currently using:
Quote:
... read more here
Quote:
... read more here
Quote:
... read more here
I configured 3 split screen buttons and...
I configured my 4th button to launch the default KSW launcher.
(Keep in mind that it is not on Play Store. It is distributed on a Telegram channel and it is closed source like most Play Store apps anyway)
(Keep in mind it cannot be controlled with your iDrive controller!!!)

There is also a launcher created by a fellow member Jellepepe - This one on PLaystore!
https://play.google.com/store/search...ps&hl=en&gl=US

If you can use tasker, you can also opt to launching your apps in split screen, no matter what launcher you use. And you can use your iDrive controller.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=2588

Last edited by conandrum; 04-06-2024 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 1