BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

07-16-2022, 11:28 AM   #23
kooft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

South African built BMWs have a rep for a reason. OP has a reasonable concern and I would question all companies, especially today, as QA is absolute trash.

You should look into the Mexican built VWs, or better yet own one, if you want a proper answer. Short story, it makes a difference to those who care and notice QA. The true test is TIME. We will only be certain in a few years.

To those mentioning that its a "mostly machine factory" and has the least amount of human touch...This is a reason why AMG, RS, and M models are revered, they are supposed to have the MOST amount of human interaction/built, not the least.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #24
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooft View Post
South African built BMWs have a rep for a reason. OP has a reasonable concern and I would question all companies, especially today, as QA is absolute trash.

You should look into the Mexican built VWs, or better yet own one, if you want a proper answer. Short story, it makes a difference to those who care and notice QA. The true test is TIME. We will only be certain in a few years.

To those mentioning that its a "mostly machine factory" and has the least amount of human touch...This is a reason why AMG, RS, and M models are revered, they are supposed to have the MOST amount of human interaction/built, not the least.
You already have the test of time, the G20 3 series has been built there since 2019.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #25
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooft View Post

I have yet to see SA X3's being more troublesome than an NA build.

And AMG's have tons of issues. There's also been plenty of issues with German build M cars.

Point is, it doesn't matter where the car is built as long as they have proper equipment and adequately trained employees.
      07-16-2022, 10:13 PM   #26
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
You already have the test of time, the G20 3 series has been built there since 2019.
Bingo!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 12:52 PM   #27
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
My g20 3 series was made in Deutschland
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 01:25 PM   #28
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenssmart View Post
My g20 3 series was made in Deutschland
Because you're in the Canadian market. Even so, if you want a G87 it'll only be built in SLP. That goes for anyone in the world.
Appreciate 3
T_U_D6687.00
      07-17-2022, 05:28 PM   #29
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

An M car is not a hand built exotic supercar. I understand the allure of certain items being handcrafted in their country of origin; Italian leather shoes, swiss watches, etc - but M cars are in the grand scheme, high production vehicles.

What's the point? If your BMW is built in Germany it won't be overseen by one of their best master engineer teams - and Built in Mexico doesn't mean you're vehicle will be rushed through assembly by a farmer who hasn't been properly trained. The stereotyping has to stop.

World had changed guys. BMW Engineers, schooled by BMW, and managed by BMW - will be in charge of outputting your vehicle regardless of location. All will be subject to assembly line and human interaction flaws just the same. All will follow the same Quality Check protocols.

Globalization is a part of the same evolutionary process that has advanced us to a point where 60-70k cars of today leave the supercars of yesterday in the dust.
Appreciate 5
T_U_D6687.00
JustinHEMI7448.00
m20e30871162.50
      07-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #30
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflacarguy View Post
An M car is not a hand built exotic supercar. I understand the allure of certain items being handcrafted in their country of origin; Italian leather shoes, swiss watches, etc - but M cars are in the grand scheme, high production vehicles.

What's the point? If your BMW is built in Germany it won't be overseen by one of their best master engineer teams - and Built in Mexico doesn't mean you're vehicle will be rushed through assembly by a farmer who hasn't been properly trained. The stereotyping has to stop.

World had changed guys. BMW Engineers, schooled by BMW, and managed by BMW - will be in charge of outputting your vehicle regardless of location. All will be subject to assembly line and human interaction flaws just the same. All will follow the same Quality Check protocols.

Globalization is a part of the same evolutionary process that has advanced us to a point where 60-70k cars of today leave the supercars of yesterday in the dust.
Thank you.

Every time this topic comes up I can't help but to feel there are hints of racism behind it. It's like there's an insinuation that a facility in Mexico isn't capable of manufacturing a car reliably as well as Germany or the US which is entirely baseless and untrue.

Of course there are people who will say it has more to do with the "prestige" of having a car built in Germany but when the question of build quality is brought up because it is being built in Mexico then I refuse to entertain that asinine idea for even one second.
Appreciate 3
      07-18-2022, 05:46 AM   #31
sk8funk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

didn't realise this topic was still going and have inputs. dead end if you ask me
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 07:03 AM   #32
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyPickle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soflacarguy View Post

Thank you.

Every time this topic comes up I can't help but to feel there are hints of racism behind it. It's like there's an insinuation that a facility in Mexico isn't capable of manufacturing a car reliably as well as Germany or the US which is entirely baseless and untrue.

Of course there are people who will say it has more to do with the "prestige" of having a car built in Germany but when the question of build quality is brought up because it is being built in Mexico then I refuse to entertain that asinine idea for even one second.
That's racist! Here comes all the sensitive millennials looking for race/gender fight! I am totally kidding and agree with everyone in this thread. BMW built the factory and hired and trained the employees. Some of the smartest engineers I have met are from Mexico. They will staff the factory the right way as any factory would be with the same quality control and inspection processes they use everywhere. There is 0 difference of where it is built and for BMW it's just a logistics and cost of labor/transport move.
Appreciate 2
sk8funk174.50
      07-18-2022, 10:14 AM   #33
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm3 View Post
That's racist! Here comes all the sensitive millennials looking for race/gender fight! I am totally kidding and agree with everyone in this thread. BMW built the factory and hired and trained the employees. Some of the smartest engineers I have met are from Mexico. They will staff the factory the right way as any factory would be with the same quality control and inspection processes they use everywhere. There is 0 difference of where it is built and for BMW it's just a logistics and cost of labor/transport move.
You'd be okay if your m3 was made in South Sudan ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:15 PM   #34
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
@Allenssmart why are you concerned? Do you think Mexicans can't be trained? Do you think Mexicans have less attention to detail? I really don't understand why you would start this thread!
Appreciate 1