E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Suspension problem

06-04-2024, 10:11 AM   #1
warlockuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i n46 :(

Garage List
Suspension problem

Hello
I'm new to XDrive.
I would like to know if you can help me with the suspension issue, I anticipate that I saw and read many threads on the forum.
But I couldn't draw the conclusion.
The car has all the suspension according to the official service in perfect condition.
But the car doesn't feel safe if you drive fast or turn in a hurry, it seems as if you were on a cloud, it moves laterally, it doesn't move from the ground, I never had the feeling that the car wanted to go backwards or forwards.
But if, as unsafe, unstable, you feel that the car is moving sideways.
What is this really?
Soft shock absorbers? I never hit the top of the suspension.
It is as if the wheels remain on the ground but above the chassis moves laterally.
Is it solved by changing the shock absorbers? about blistein B14 pss or koni yellow?
Or is it other things that need to be changed? or reinforce?
I would appreciate it if you could guide me where to start so I buy the right things.
I don't want a track car, but a safe car that can be driven fast at times, and feels safe.
Before this I had a RWD and it felt much safer.
At this moment the car is 100% original wheels 16 205 55
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 10:43 AM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

The 4wd should feel almost exactly the same as a 2wd car except for some subtle differences. A little more understeer on corner entry and less rear axle steering on corner exit for instance. But this isn't something one will notice except when driving 8/10s or more.

Assuming the suspension is all 'in good condition' according to a mechanic...

Check out the front strut-rod bushings. When they wear out it is not obvious when wiggling the tires on a lift because they are rubber, but will cause weird toe changes under braking, acceleration, and other loading.

Is it possible that your rear subframe is moving around on the bushings? Another thing that is not found by 'wiggling the tires' However the subframe bushings are very robust. Is it possible the steering rack is loose in the front subframe?

Try getting under the car with a pry bar and see if anything is moving relative to the body.

There are many things that could cause it but I'm making suggestions based on what a 'normal shop' might fail to diagnosis during an inspection.
      06-05-2024, 11:30 AM   #3
warlockuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i n46 :(

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
The 4wd should feel almost exactly the same as a 2wd car except for some subtle differences. A little more understeer on corner entry and less rear axle steering on corner exit for instance. But this isn't something one will notice except when driving 8/10s or more.

Assuming the suspension is all 'in good condition' according to a mechanic...

Check out the front strut-rod bushings. When they wear out it is not obvious when wiggling the tires on a lift because they are rubber, but will cause weird toe changes under braking, acceleration, and other loading.

Is it possible that your rear subframe is moving around on the bushings? Another thing that is not found by 'wiggling the tires' However the subframe bushings are very robust. Is it possible the steering rack is loose in the front subframe?

Try getting under the car with a pry bar and see if anything is moving relative to the body.

There are many things that could cause it but I'm making suggestions based on what a 'normal shop' might fail to diagnosis during an inspection.
very thanks
I'm going to have it tested by a mechanic from the official service, but if it is a feeling of something strange, this does not happen if you are calm, but when one's head skids haha ​​and accelerates it did not feel safe at all

thanks
Appreciate 0