BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-06-2024, 09:36 PM   #397
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
These clips give the rear caliper some "M" branding. The calipers have an indent in them and it fills that void with the clip.
An oil cooler guard is on my list of things to add but no rush for me.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2070.50
      04-07-2024, 11:54 PM   #398
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
My other car is a Boeing. :\
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 11:56 PM   #399
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDad View Post
Did my break in service earlier this week and have the same 2 issues-rear caliper clips and steering wheel slightly off-center. They had to order the clips so I am at the dealership now getting both addressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
There is another thread somewhere that confirms 2024 model year and up M cars don't include those rear clips. But if you have a decent sales rep they should just order them for you free of charge. Not much to ask for after buying a 70k car.

After seeing your and the other persons feedback on the alignment i should probably check out mine before I get to that 2000 mile threshold.
Yeah, I didn't fight the SA on the clips. I brought it up, but it wasn't the biggest deal to me.

If it doesn't come on the car, then that's cool...but if they offered to get them for me, that's cool too. Just didn't happen. LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:29 PM   #400
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't come across this, so thought I'd ask it here.

We have the selected hear show up in the display. To the left of it, an arrow of some sort shows up, which I'm assuming is to tell you to shift in that direction.

My question: what is it basing it off of? Efficiency of some sort, like fuel economy? Optimum _______ ?

The reason I'm asking, is that as soon as I push the gas, it tells me to shift up, even if it's already sitting under 1,500 RPMs. And even if I'm in sport, etc.

I can't imagine it's suggesting I shift up to go from 1,500 RPMs to like 1,100 RPMs.

Wasn't sure if someone had some insight, or if I should just completely ignore it moving forward.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 06:09 PM   #401
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtougher View Post
I haven't come across this, so thought I'd ask it here.

We have the selected hear show up in the display. To the left of it, an arrow of some sort shows up, which I'm assuming is to tell you to shift in that direction.

My question: what is it basing it off of? Efficiency of some sort, like fuel economy? Optimum _______ ?

The reason I'm asking, is that as soon as I push the gas, it tells me to shift up, even if it's already sitting under 1,500 RPMs. And even if I'm in sport, etc.

I can't imagine it's suggesting I shift up to go from 1,500 RPMs to like 1,100 RPMs.

Wasn't sure if someone had some insight, or if I should just completely ignore it moving forward.

Thanks!
Most fuel efficient engine speed. The lower the RPM, the higher the fuel economy (as engines are air pumps).

You have to be a bit careful because it might suggest you go up a gear and then an incline comes, and you have to shift down anyway in a few seconds.

1,100 RPM saves gas.

I personally don’t use those indicators, as they’ve become too aggressive for the way I drive. I’m usually at a much higher RPM.

But my mpg is one of the lowest here so YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 12:06 AM   #402
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Most fuel efficient engine speed. The lower the RPM, the higher the fuel economy (as engines are air pumps).

You have to be a bit careful because it might suggest you go up a gear and then an incline comes, and you have to shift down anyway in a few seconds.

1,100 RPM saves gas.

I personally don’t use those indicators, as they’ve become too aggressive for the way I drive. I’m usually at a much higher RPM.

But my mpg is one of the lowest here so YMMV.
Thanks for confirming. I figured it should be related to fuel efficiency, but it was crossing over the "common sense" line very often, including examples like yours with the incline or something.

I'm not the most "spirited" driver here, but I'm also not trying to break fuel efficiency records...I want to enjoy the car for what it is. LOL

Just trying to figure out what the car was telling me to do and why.

Thanks!
Appreciate 2
Ronin76753.50
M2siast5877.50
      04-12-2024, 09:08 AM   #403
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Got the go ahead to order a few of the planned cosmetic pieces, so I finally did.

I'll post updates as they come in.

Looking forward to them!
Appreciate 1
Ronin76753.50
      04-13-2024, 10:17 PM   #404
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Used a waterless spray cleaner to do a full wipe down of the car today. Had never really thought about using something like that before, but liked the fact that I could "keep up" with that a bit more frequently without letting the car get filthy.

First time using it.

Pic of the rear diffuser. Still don't have a great pic of it yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ronin76753.50
      04-18-2024, 05:10 PM   #405
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

A couple of quick updates/thoughts:

- over 1,750 miles on it now
- used the car's navigation system a couple of times, and I'll have to look up some details. I was impressed with the level of details/info it was showing me via the HUD that, once I figured it out, was pretty useful. (I had been using Waze via Carplay most of the time.)
- occasionally, I hear a noise that only lasts approx 10 seconds or so, and sounds like a fan speeding up for a bit and then slowing down enough to not hear it anymore. Any thoughts on what that is?
- how much of a pain is it really to get the adhesive from the trunk spoiler completely off? I ordered a trunk spoiler and that's the step I'm concerned about.
- saw the ZB on the same road again...I'm completely assuming it was the same one I saw a couple of weeks ago. LOL
- I had my first person roll down the window while in the back seat of an SUV as I was driving the opposite direction from them, and they were making a face. Still can't tell if that was just me catching someone being weird, or if it was related to the car. Wife was in the car and asked me if it was the car. No clue.

How's everyone else doing? Hope a lot of the others have started getting their cars!

Also, started a new IG for some basic posts about the car, in case you're on there: @xtougherM2

I would just stick it on my signature here, but still don't have that ability.
Appreciate 2
JMcLellan2070.50
Ronin76753.50
      04-18-2024, 06:28 PM   #406
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:

- used the car's navigation system a couple of times, and I'll have to look up some details. I was impressed with the level of details/info it was showing me via the HUD that, once I figured it out, was pretty useful. (I had been using Waze via Carplay most of the time.)
- occasionally, I hear a noise that only lasts approx 10 seconds or so, and sounds like a fan speeding up for a bit and then slowing down enough to not hear it anymore. Any thoughts on what that is?
- how much of a pain is it really to get the adhesive from the trunk spoiler completely off? I ordered a trunk spoiler and that's the step I'm concerned about.
- saw the ZB on the same road again...I'm completely assuming it was the same one I saw a couple of weeks ago. LOL
- I had my first person roll down the window while in the back seat of an SUV as I was driving the opposite direction from them, and they were making a face. Still can't tell if that was just me catching someone being weird, or if it was related to the car. Wife was in the car and asked me if it was the car. No clue.

How's everyone else doing? Hope a lot of the others have started getting their cars!

Also, started a new IG for some basic posts about the car, in case you're on there: @xtougherM2

Fan noise is normal. Cooling system on engine. Happens every once in a while.

Glad you are enjoying your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 07:46 PM   #407
Ronin76
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Glad you are enjoying the car.

How often do you use the HUD? I am debating on whether I should get it or not.

This is my concern as well. I am thinking about just getting the M Performance spoiler and having it installed at the port so I do not have to deal with removing the OEM spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:19 PM   #408
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
it's annoying but you only have to do it once so still worth it. Heat gun the part of the spoiler you're working on until it's hot but not so hot that it scorches the clear coat underneath (so decently warm to the touch, not immediately burning your finger) just wanna soften up the foam a little bit. Then get some thick fishing line and run it under the spoiler trying to keep pressure down towards the trunk vs up onto the underside of spoiler and saw it back n' forth down the spoiler. I wrapped some cardboard around my fingers then the fishing line around that so it didn't squeeze my fingers when sawing it back n' forth.

Then the next annoying part, have to remove the remaining tape with a "3M Stripe Off Wheel Adhesive Remover" that goes in a drill. Can also use the semi-soft plastic tools I can't remember the name of, but are used for prying plastic panels off. The wheel is safe but you can't let it get too hot or it can scorch the clear coat, and your drill will probably get really hot too. The wheel cools off fast though, drill not so much I put it in the fridge a couple times haha. Once it's off you can use some not too potent rubbing alcohol to remove the remaining adhesive debris to finish it off.

Takes longer then it looks like it should cause the tape they use is overkill and fights you the whole way.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:17 PM   #409
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Fan noise is normal. Cooling system on engine. Happens every once in a while.

Glad you are enjoying your car.
Yeah, I figured it was routine, but wasn't sure what it was. Curiosity, more than anything. Cooling system does make sense though!

Thanks! I'm definitely enjoying the car as a daily driver...still haven't even really dug into the iDrive too much yet either! Got a lot to play with there still.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71406.00
      04-18-2024, 10:22 PM   #410
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
Glad you are enjoying the car.

How often do you use the HUD? I am debating on whether I should get it or not.

This is my concern as well. I am thinking about just getting the M Performance spoiler and having it installed at the port so I do not have to deal with removing the OEM spoiler.
I keep the HUD on 100% of the time. I do wish the blue wasn't there, so it's just the speed and speed limit on the HUD as the default. That's how it was with the HUD on my 340i I had before this. But you definitely get used to it visually, to the point where when I drive my wife's car that does NOT have the HUD, it's almost a chore to look all the way down and to the right to see my speed (Tesla).

But with the navigation going, it's interesting that it lets me keep the "north always up" setting on the iDrive screen, while showing me "forward always up" in the HUD. This makes sense, since the HUD part shows a bunch of lane specific info that wouldn't make sense with "north always up".

My first choice was to have the trunk spoiler installed (with my rear carbon fiber diffuser) at the port, but it was not available when I ordered my car through the build lock date. So here we are.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76753.50
      04-18-2024, 10:26 PM   #411
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
it's annoying but you only have to do it once so still worth it. Heat gun the part of the spoiler you're working on until it's hot but not so hot that it scorches the clear coat underneath (so decently warm to the touch, not immediately burning your finger) just wanna soften up the foam a little bit. Then get some thick fishing line and run it under the spoiler trying to keep pressure down towards the trunk vs up onto the underside of spoiler and saw it back n' forth down the spoiler. I wrapped some cardboard around my fingers then the fishing line around that so it didn't squeeze my fingers when sawing it back n' forth.

Then the next annoying part, have to remove the remaining tape with a "3M Stripe Off Wheel Adhesive Remover" that goes in a drill. Can also use the semi-soft plastic tools I can't remember the name of, but are used for prying plastic panels off. The wheel is safe but you can't let it get too hot or it can scorch the clear coat, and your drill will probably get really hot too. The wheel cools off fast though, drill not so much I put it in the fridge a couple times haha. Once it's off you can use some not too potent rubbing alcohol to remove the remaining adhesive debris to finish it off.

Takes longer then it looks like it should cause the tape they use is overkill and fights you the whole way.
Got it. I was pretty sure I got the fishing line part of the process in my brain, and shouldn't be a problem.

I was definitely a bit concerned about the removal of the remaining adhesive afterwards. I guess I'll have to look up the wheel you mentioned that goes into a drill. I'm assuming it's the most common way people are doing it.

Thanks for the insight and the tips (gotta leave room in my fridge, just in case! LOL). Just have to suck it up and do it, knowing it'll be a bit annoying!
Appreciate 1
iifymbro710.00
      04-21-2024, 08:17 AM   #412
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

I am in Texas and ordered something from Europe.

It is being shipped via DHL.

I got notifications (via text and email) that I need to pay an additional $40 for an import duty, and if I don't pay it within 5 days or so, the item will be shipped back.

Is that legit?

I was charged shipping up front, so didn't know why this was something additional, and didn't want to take any action until I looked into it.

I don't think I've had to do that in the past when receiving something from Europe, but it's been a while for me.

Thanks for any insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:32 AM   #413
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

In hindsight, my last post should have included that what I ordered was some carbon fiber pieces from CT Carbon.

I re-read that post and it definitely seemed like I was asking about some random purchase I made in this forum. Oops.

Anyway, quick update on that specific question, in case someone else orders from somewhere and encounters a similar situation:

I reached out to CT Carbon and they mentioned a import duty charge could apply. So I made sure to go to DHL's site and paid the duty and they delivered the item the next day. I guess they were holding it.

Hadn't dealt with that before, but I guess I know now.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76753.50
      04-24-2024, 10:41 AM   #414
Ronin76
Captain
Rep

Quote:
In hindsight, my last post should have included that what I ordered was some carbon fiber pieces from CT Carbon.

I re-read that post and it definitely seemed like I was asking about some random purchase I made in this forum. Oops.

Anyway, quick update on that specific question, in case someone else orders from somewhere and encounters a similar situation:

I reached out to CT Carbon and they mentioned a import duty charge could apply. So I made sure to go to DHL's site and paid the duty and they delivered the item the next day. I guess they were holding it.

Hadn't dealt with that before, but I guess I know now.
So will you have to always go to the carrier’s website to pay the duty? Its not included in the price?
When are the parts getting installed? Need to show pics.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:24 PM   #415
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
So will you have to always go to the carrier’s website to pay the duty? Its not included in the price?
When are the parts getting installed? Need to show pics.
I thought it was included in shipping, but when I reached out to CT Carbon, they mentioned something about being off a list of automatic import duty (or something like that), and that it is common to have to pay that separately.

I will not pretend to understand it, but all I know is that I had to pay it with the carrier to "release" the shipment to be completed.

Not quite sure yet with the parts getting installed. I'm navigating a random schedule that is not matching up with rain, and also availability of tools/space to work on it.

Once I figure it out, I'll definitely post pics!
Appreciate 1
Ronin76753.50
      04-24-2024, 11:42 PM   #416
JCoR
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 21 Silverado

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Got it. I was pretty sure I got the fishing line part of the process in my brain, and shouldn't be a problem.

I was definitely a bit concerned about the removal of the remaining adhesive afterwards. I guess I'll have to look up the wheel you mentioned that goes into a drill. I'm assuming it's the most common way people are doing it.

Thanks for the insight and the tips (gotta leave room in my fridge, just in case! LOL). Just have to suck it up and do it, knowing it'll be a bit annoying!
I used a hair dryer and fishing line as iifymbro mentioned. I borrowed a 3M Stripe Off Wheel from a friend but was worried about burning through the clearcoat/paint. So I ended up using a plastic razor blade and Rapid Remover so get off the left over tape.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:44 PM   #417
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

As I've been putting some miles on the car driving all over town (mostly for work), I've really been wanting to find a place to put my phone that also charges it.

I have the wireless charger (phone toaster) that I don't use, since it's in the armrest and I do occasionally want access to the phone a bit more easily.

So while I was looking, I found this option that works with a magnet, and I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging the phone each time. I can just grab and go.

I may end up hating it, but here is a pic of where it will go. It doesn't get in the way of a vent, take up space in a cupholder, and doesn't block the view of anything but the hood.

I'll be on the road a lot tomorrow, so I'll have some thoughts on whether I like it in general, whether I need to change placement, etc.

We'll see!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ronin76753.50
      04-24-2024, 11:47 PM   #418
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoR View Post
I used a hair dryer and fishing line as iifymbro mentioned. I borrowed a 3M Stripe Off Wheel from a friend but was worried about burning through the clearcoat/paint. So I ended up using a plastic razor blade and Rapid Remover so get off the left over tape.
What is the smallest amount of Rapid Remover you can buy?? LOL

I just looked it up on Amazon, and it was all large volume containers for like $40+...I just want a small spray bottle or something! HA
Appreciate 0