home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-09-2024, 10:13 AM   #1
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

Funky rear bumper

When I got PPF done, either I forgot to tell the installer or I told them and they forgot that I didn't want the strip under the trunk lid done. I just hate the visible seam. Anyway, I had them take it off, and a while later I noticed the center of the bumper where it meets the trunk lid has basically no gap anymore. I've tried just putting weight on it to get it to stay down, but to no avail. I have no idea what's going on under there, is there an attachment point that may have been broken? Maybe they used a heat gun on it and it's deformed? Not sure what the fix would be here.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 10:49 AM   #2
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdem View Post
When I got PPF done, either I forgot to tell the installer or I told them and they forgot that I didn't want the strip under the trunk lid done. I just hate the visible seam. Anyway, I had them take it off, and a while later I noticed the center of the bumper where it meets the trunk lid has basically no gap anymore. I've tried just putting weight on it to get it to stay down, but to no avail. I have no idea what's going on under there, is there an attachment point that may have been broken? Maybe they used a heat gun on it and it's deformed? Not sure what the fix would be here.

They do need to use heat (in some form) to remove the ppf. Possibly they overheated the area while doing so?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 11:16 AM   #3
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

they disassembled the bumper... and assembled it incorrect...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 11:22 AM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
That's odd but I wouldn't jump to conclusions that it was the PPF install that caused it. Do you have any pics of the rear before getting PPF that you could verify if that gap was there before? Bring it into the dealer to have it looked at but don't mention anything about getting PPF.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2024, 11:58 AM   #5
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomMuc View Post
they disassembled the bumper... and assembled it incorrect...
I can't imagine they took the bumper off for that little strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
That's odd but I wouldn't jump to conclusions that it was the PPF install that caused it. Do you have any pics of the rear before getting PPF that you could verify if that gap was there before? Bring it into the dealer to have it looked at but don't mention anything about getting PPF.
I do, it was an even gap all the way across.

Is there a fix short of a new bumper at this point?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 12:06 PM   #6
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:

I think they took the bumper off during install or take off and didn't put it back on properly. The front bumper has little slots that the actual bumper falls into, i'm sure the rear is exactly the same. To fix it, take off the entire bumper and realign and install. I'm sure there's a plastic piece that goes into a tab that in this case, went over the tab.
      04-09-2024, 12:14 PM   #7
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep

Just to be clear, all that was on there before was a small strip under the trunk lid. Taking the bumper off to do that wouldn't make any sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 12:28 PM   #8
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The rear edge of the bumper across the width of the boot / trunk opening should be located in a plastic channel. If it has been pulled backwards by a few mm when the PPF was removed, it may have been pulled out of the channel. Try seeing if the bumper can be moved a little backwards and downwards, then push it forward a bit to see if it locates in the channel.
Appreciate 2
Bumpinjeep5559.50
ayilar16.00
      04-09-2024, 12:57 PM   #9
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The rear edge of the bumper across the width of the boot / trunk opening should be located in a plastic channel. If it has been pulled backwards by a few mm when the PPF was removed, it may have been pulled out of the channel. Try seeing if the bumper can be moved a little backwards and downwards, then push it forward a bit to see if it locates in the channel.
Exactly, there bumper needs to go into the slot (tab) and it looks like it's currently sitting on top of the tab. Take off the bumper and put in back in it's place.
      04-09-2024, 01:03 PM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
I do, it was an even gap all the way across.

Is there a fix short of a new bumper at this point?
Try removing the weather stripping and see if the bumper is indeed properly seated. If it is then it sounds like they overheated the bumper and deformed that area causing it to swell up. You should also reach out to the PPF installers and ask if they removed the bumper to install the strip. I as you highly doubt that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 08:24 AM   #11
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep

Good tips, will try and report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 09:11 AM   #12
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep

There was indeed a tab that had been pulled up and over the slot it is supposed to go into, was pretty easy to get it back in place. Thanks!
Appreciate 3
aerobod3632.50
clydefrog288.50
Tag18173.00