12-19-2023, 01:24 PM   #23
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stM View Post
Are these scraping marks?

I mentioned that above. Looks like heavy scraping/gouging damage. Something odd happened here.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:26 PM   #24
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stM View Post
Are these scraping marks?

Yeah, did you pull in too far while parking over a curb? Do you remember? That may have done it too. In which case, that’s a collision claim.
If that damage you circled is the puncture, it looks like the nail/rebar that sticks out of those parking curbs.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:29 PM   #25
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

There is also a lot of distortion upwards of the middle of the panel behind the oil cooler, besides the scrapes and gouges. Besides parking blocks, I’ve had similar damage underneath before from a tyre tread of a transport truck.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5877.50
      12-19-2023, 01:41 PM   #26
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2

Trust me the car looks brand new, not a single scrape or scratch apart from the 1/2" ding on the oil cooler itself. The picture is very distorted. The things that looks like scrapes, is salt dried up from the winter road and other reflections. I will re take a picture once I visit the dealer later today or tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5877.50
      12-19-2023, 02:01 PM   #27
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
Trust me the car looks brand new, not a single scrape or scratch apart from the 1/2" ding on the oil cooler itself. The picture is very distorted. The things that looks like scrapes, is salt dried up from the winter road and other reflections. I will re take a picture once I visit the dealer later today or tomorrow morning.
I see now how the image processing made the oil cooler fins look blended together and all scraped up. I really thought it was missing.

Just one more reason why BMWs should have oil sticks. I hate that damn sensor which takes forever to show you the level and, in this scenario, you can't even run the engine to check it.

ThanksBMW.gif
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 03:35 PM   #28
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I see now how the image processing made the oil cooler fins look blended together and all scraped up. I really thought it was missing.

Just one more reason why BMWs should have oil sticks. I hate that damn sensor which takes forever to show you the level and, in this scenario, you can't even run the engine to check it.

ThanksBMW.gif

No difference in newer Audis, Porsches, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 04:42 PM   #29
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Bad news! They found metal shavings in the filter, the engine is toast. Can't imagine what I got myself into.

Before I go the insurance route, which I am dreading!

how do I approach BMW NA to look into this issue? Is there any way they are going to own up to their poor design? What are the chances I replace the motor and the same thing happens again while going to my home from the dealership? Looking at the size of the hole, it is a 1/8", I am pretty sure there are 1000s of small rocks on the road that can cause the same damage over and again!

Also people who ask to pull over right away- unless the driver has perceived that something hit underneath which in the case of a small rock we won't, it is not worth risking your life on tight or no shoulders, so one shoud atleast be able to drive 0.5miles from the low pressure warning to a safe place which is what I did.

Last edited by xps; 12-19-2023 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 04:53 PM   #30
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Holy shit dude, that's insane. I'm hoping BMW steps up and orders you a new motor or you can take the damn car back and just buy another one. Sorry to see this happen, we all wish you good luck in this whole ordeal.
M2siast5877.50
apez649.50
Ronin76753.50
The_Werm212.00
CFO277.00
      12-19-2023, 04:56 PM   #31
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Bad news! They found metal shavings in the filter, the engine is toast. Can't imagine what I got myself into.

how do I approach BMW NA to look into this issue? Is there any way they are going to own up to their poor design? What are the chances I replace the motor and the same thing happens again while going to my home from the dealership? Looking at the size of the hole, it is a 1/8", I am pretty sure there are 1000s of small rocks on the road that can cause the same damage over and again!

Also people who ask to pull over right away, unless the driver has perceived that something hit underneath which in the case of a small rock we won't, it is not worth risking your life on tight or no shoulders, so one shod atleast be able to drive 0.5miles from the low pressure warning which is what I did.

This sucks OP. Let us know what dealer says. Try the route of asking if it's not a warranty issue, and if it's not, if BMW doesn't do a good will gesture.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 05:09 PM   #32
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:

Also people who ask to pull over right away, unless the driver has perceived that something hit underneath which in the case of a small rock we won't, it is not worth risking your life on tight or no shoulders, so one shod atleast be able to drive 0.5miles from the low pressure warning which is what I did.
Try to pursue BMW doing a goodwill repair. It's worth a shot.
Appreciate 5
M2siast5877.50
Ronin76753.50
///M TOWN17673.00
      12-19-2023, 06:22 PM   #33
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
What are the chances I replace the motor and the same thing happens again while going to my home from the dealership? Looking at the size of the hole, it is a 1/8", I am pretty sure there are 1000s of small rocks on the road that can cause the same damage over and again!
As already pointed out above, buy a protective screen.

https://www.zunsport.com/us/product/...roduct_id=7331
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 07:50 PM   #34
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post

Sure! I would have eventually gotten the shield after knowing the car more and what it needs. But I wanted to point out BMW has made such a fragile design that it didn't even allow me to reach home from dealership after buying it.

I intentionally worded "going to home from the dealership".

Too bad I will be making payments on a car that has been home for the time it takes to fix.

It also bothers me that the car is never going to be the same as factory

Also does anyone know if an insurance claim is going to diminish the car value and give the car a branded title?

Last edited by xps; 12-19-2023 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
clydefrog288.50
      12-19-2023, 07:58 PM   #35
1stM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Hope BMW will take care of this. The winter road salt did some damage there.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:12 PM   #36
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Sure! I would have eventually gotten the shield after knowing the car more and what it needs. But I wanted to point out BMW has made such a fragile design that it didn't even allow me to reach home from dealership after buying it.

Too bad I will be making payments on a car that has been home for the time it takes to fix.

Also does anyone know if an insurance claim is going to diminish the car value and give the car a branded title?
I’ll give you my opinion on the insurance piece:

It depends.
One: your insurance goes up if this is considered a collision claim. If it’s a comprehensive claim, your insurance premium shouldn’t go up.

Two: for your car to have a “rebuilt” title, it’d have to be deemed a total loss and the car offered for you to buy back. Then it’d be bought back as a rebuilt title car. But, if it’s deemed a total loss, you’d likely just take the cash and run. It’s unlikely this is a total loss case, as all you need (likely) are a new engine and a new oil cooler. They don’t make up 75+% of the total value of the car, since it’s brand new.

Three: having a new engine in the car will likely hurt the resale value if it hits CarFax (or even without it, if the buyer gets the information from you or BMW). This happens because most people want a car that was untouched other than expected maintenance. Painted panels, new engine, count as a “molested” car for buyers. In the comparison with “untouched” cars, the touched one likely is less valuable.
But it shouldn’t be a big deal if done properly at BMW. It’d be a blessing if the car had 100,000 km.
Appreciate 2
Ronin76753.50
darinn1.50
      12-19-2023, 08:17 PM   #37
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post

That still looks fragile, the mishimoto one looks much beefier at stopping bricks https://www.mishimoto.com/bmw-g80-m3...late-2021.html
Appreciate 3
      12-19-2023, 08:17 PM   #38
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BWM G87

Do you know if you’re covered on the car from your existing policy(s)? I mentioned earlier I called my carrier prior to taking delivery and was told I had a 3 day period to get it insured. Not sure if that’s standard or something we had build in to our other coverage.

Anyone know if there’s some salvageable parts on the old engine?

Man, I hate this for you…so sorry
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:18 PM   #39
fangelov
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Also people who ask to pull over right away- unless the driver has perceived that something hit underneath which in the case of a small rock we won't, it is not worth risking your life on tight or no shoulders, so one shoud atleast be able to drive 0.5miles from the low pressure warning to a safe place which is what I did.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like some of the plastic cover behind the cooler has been damaged in at least 3 places. Probably you run over something more substantial than a single rock bounce.
Appreciate 3
M2siast5877.50
clydefrog288.50
      12-19-2023, 08:18 PM   #40
Trogster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yikes!

Just ordered the grill.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 08:36 PM   #41
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangelov View Post
Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like some of the plastic cover behind the cooler has been damaged in at least 3 places. Probably you run over something more substantial than a single rock bounce.
like i said in my previous post. There is no damage, not even a single scratch on the entire vehicle except for the hole in the cooler. It seems like my phone has hard time taking clear pictures if I don't hold it steady for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:40 PM   #42
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWhite! View Post
Do you know if you’re covered on the car from your existing policy(s)? I mentioned earlier I called my carrier prior to taking delivery and was told I had a 3 day period to get it insured. Not sure if that’s standard or something we had build in to our other coverage.

Anyone know if there’s some salvageable parts on the old engine?

Man, I hate this for you…so sorry

I am not sure what you mean. The car is not allowed to be driven out of the dealership lot without full insurance coverage if you are financing it. So, the car has complete coverage. I am just worried about the whole process wince this will be first ever insurance claim since I started driving
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2023, 08:40 PM   #43
tresbrien
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2/2019 X3

Just bad luck OP. I picked mine up in NJ and drove back to Chicago over the weekend and was really paranoid about this happening. Had the Zunsport outer grill set installed before my trip but just purchased the oil cooler grill as well.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 08:47 PM   #44
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:

You asked "what happens if I replace the motor and it happens again..." My suggestion was to purchase the screen now and install it before you drive the vehicle home again.
Appreciate 0