06-11-2023, 03:24 AM   #1
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Some quick considerations after driving the M2

Coming from the M2 Competition F87 and before the 1M, and having put a few hundred miles on the G81 and M240i xDrive G42:

- This car is great to drive, stop judging it on paper or based on the opinion of other people (mainly two-bit YouTubers or influencers). Drive it. Anyone who says otherwise is just a hater or simply can't afford it. Considering that it is 2023 and the turn the automotive industry is taking, a car like this is a gem, don't always complain.
I confirm, this car is a pleasure to drive given the current times, the more I drive it, the more amazed I am that in 2023 such a car still exists, not everything is perfect and in some aspects we have gone a little too far (read below), but mechanically/technically a great job has been done. Bravo BMW.

- I can't say anything about the look, it's subjective. I like it, it is muscular and aggressive (the view of the large rear arch from the side mirror is simply stunning -> CLICK) without being vulgar, but just like the G80/2 it is not for everyone. The photos do not make it justice, but it is not "mainstream" like the F87. Next to this, the previous M2 looks very dated to me though.
I confirm, the more I look at it, the more I like it.
Am I getting the idea?

The only gripes are the wheel gaps and the huge front license plate holder, which is mandatory in Europe and out of proportion to the size of the Swiss license plate

If I replace it with a smaller one I will be illegal and liable to a fine (the dealer told me if they remove it they have to make me sign a liability waiver, can you believe it?). Thank you EU.

- It feels bigger, but you get used to it quickly.
I was wrong, this car looks really big on the road, at any angle you look you can see a lot of flab, the bonnet is imposing, the sides are wide. It looks bigger than it is and I'm not getting used to it, especially when parking it feels like you're dealing with a bigger car than it is. It honestly doesn't feel smaller than an M3.

- It is heavier on paper, but on the road you really feel it very little (read below). I wonder if you would say that if you hadn't read it.
I was partly wrong; it is not something that can be fully perceived during a test drive with the salesman next to you.
The weight is felt, especially if you keep a fast pace on B-roads, the mass is all there. In hard braking and quick twists you feel a lot of inertia, and when you slide the rear end from side to side, it feels like you have a trailer anchored behind (okay I'm exaggerating, it's to make the point).
Not a huge difference from the F87 which also was not a lightweight, but it is clearly noticeable. It was something I had already noticed on the M3 and hoped it would be less noticeable on the M2, but it is not. Somewhat disappointed.

- More than the weight, you feel the longer wheelbase and larger tires compared to the F87 (275 vs 245 at the front make a difference in terms of agility).
I confirm, but there are only good things to come out of this. The extra grip and longer wheelbase (along with the stiffer chassis and better suspension) give it amazing high-speed grip and stability, here is a night and day difference compared to the F87. Wow.

- This car does not try to kill you every time, it is stick to the ground, especially at high speed, and I like that.
I confirm, this thing you a lot of speed and confidence, give it space and speed and you will be rewarded.
Don't push it too hard on slow roads though, that's not its habitat.

- The difference in driving with the M3/4 is still there (shorter wheelbase), but the handling is now closer to its big siblings than before, it is a more mature car to drive, you wouldn't say it is the baby-M. It is up to you to decide whether it is better or not, there are pros and cons, but you finally feel like you are driving a premium car, and no longer a city-car based one.
I confirm, the gap with the M3/4 is probably too little.

- The gap with the M240i is now smaller than before, not because the M2 is not special enough, but because the M240i is an incredibly good and capable car. If the M2 took two steps forward, the M240i took four. But the difference is still noticeable (never driven the RWD M240i though).
I confirm, the M240i is an incredibly good car, but the M2 is on another level. And the manual gearbox makes a big difference in driving involvement. The M240i, however, sounds better.

- There is still a lot of room for fun, but it is less playful than before. It can be as tail-happy as usual, but you have to try a little harder (little).
I confirm, the fun is there, it just takes a little more effort to bring it out.

- Like every Gxx compared to the Fxx, the steering is better than the F87 in terms of feedback (you can finally go straight without having to move the steering all the time), especially compared to the OG M2 which had probably the worst steering ever seen on an M-car along with the first version of the F82. Anyone who says otherwise probably drove a broken car. Or with overinflated tires (as happened to me the first time I drove the M3 Touring). With lighter forged rims it could be ever sharper.
I confirm, decent steering but nothing more. I like it better than the F87, but there is room for improvement. Forged wheels and some minor adjustments to the chassis (monoball bushings and maybe more caster) would improve things a bit, but I don't expect miracles.

- You immediately appreciate the increased stability and precision, as well as the higher grip and traction. The car feels more balanced and the limits are higher than ever, virtually unreachable on the road.
I confirm, but as said it needs speed and space to shine.

- There is no sense of speed; if you don't look at the speedometer you would say you are always 50 km/h slower than you are. It is more comfortable and gives much more confidence; it is easier to go fast, watch out for your driving license.
I confirm, the speed and ease with which you gain speed and maintain a fast pace is impressive.

- The drop in boost compared to the M3 Competition is very noticeable: there the midrange are brutal, here they are just ok. The power band is more linear than aggressive, not necessarily a bad thing, but coming from the M3C you always have the feeling of being slower.
I really like the power delivery, which is sufficient for all circumstances, if you need more you are probably a drag racer, so this is probably not the right car for you anyway.
However, when you start to increase the pace, the turbo-lag starts to become annoying, and here we are worse off than in the S55.

- The carbon seats really make a difference in the driving experience and the overall perception of quality, whereas the M-sport, in my opinion, are not special enough for an M-car, as they can also be had on the 220i. But the seats are a pet peeve of mine that I've been carrying around since the 1M and can't give up.
I confirm, the buckets take the experience to the next level. A must-have, for the driving position and aesthetics.

- The feel of the brakes is as strange as any brake-by-wire system, it is something you can get used to but I wonder if we really needed it. I don't think so.
I confirm, the power is there, but the feel is not the best. And as mentioned, the weight does not help.

- The ADAS are beyond invasive and annoying. No, I don't think it's something you can get used to, personally I would turn everything off (or spec the car without it, as I did).
OK, this is the most disappointing point and is leading me to the ‘extreme decision'.
In European cars, some driving aids are mandatory even if the car comes without any driving assistance package (like mine). And if you turn them off, they come back on every time you start the car (every time I start the car, I feel like I'm doing the checklist of airplane pilots). Extremely annoying, thanks again to the EU.
I didn't know that, shame on me.
Also, some of that crap is giving me quite a bit of trouble, occasionally some of the sensors go crazy and I get warning lights in the dashboard and error messages in the iDrive, nothing serious but it's really annoying to drive around with random warnings coming and going, especially considering they're from stuff I didn't even want on my car (and didn't know I'd have). It can probably be easily fixed, but I'm tired of dealing with these unnecessary and unwanted things.

- Having driven side-by-side the 911 GTS 2WD and 4WD, and the M3 xDrive and M2 RWD, I can't help but say how well Bmw has worked to make all-wheel drive virtually imperceptible on the steering. If you are looking for a 911, avoid the 4. For the M3/4 you could consider the xDrive without much regret, but I honestly would not choose it if it were available on the M2.
No please, no xDrive on the M2, no adding extra weight, extra complications and extra settings, it is fine as it is. This car would be wasted in drag racing and there will always be a faster Tesla anyway.

- I have driven the automatic, which is as good as ever and matches the S58 perfectly, but I still miss the DCT engagement. It is the only thing I miss about the F87, therefore mine will be manual.
The manual is the way to go, the overall experience is really different and adds an extra touch.

- The fake sound from the speakers is very noticeable and kills the (little) real exhaust note (OPF version, of course).
I confirm, it's a real disappointment, the car is muted and the little sound you can hear is mostly fake. The solution would be being illegal and lose warranty. One more time, thanks again EU.

- Toronto Red suits this car much better than the G80 (not to mention the X3M), still not my thing but not a bad choice, especially when paired with the carbon roof. In person it is more orangish than in the photos below.
Very personal, I like how the BG looks in person and matches the carbon roof.

- This car needs to be lowered and spacered.
Holy moly those wheel gaps are immense!

- Is it the perfect car? Of course not, but I challenge you to find something better at this price nowadays.
Overall, it is a very good package, and considering what the market offers nowadays, it is really a gem and somewhat ‘cheap’.

- My car (full carbon) won't be here anytime soon
It arrived perfectly on time, after 4 months, as agreed from the beginning.
But I'm not sure it's what I want, it drives very well and I got a good deal, but lacks the "magic" of a real sports car (which it's not meant to be, so that's not its fault), and I'm rather disappointed with the constant intrusions and problems with the driving aids and the complicated infotainment interface (which is also a source of complaints, more than once it's crashed, delayed, restarted itself, and so on). Nothing an update can't fix, but why do they make things so unnecessarily complex?
I am thinking of getting rid of it soon, because of the above but also because in the meantime I bought another car for random duties and the M2 is not special enough as a second car for the weekend, as good as it is I don’t need an allrounder and I would probably be happier with something more "exotic having already had 3 baby M's." We'll see.

Last edited by VIERsr; 10-22-2023 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 37
vampire81434.50
stvward133.00
JustinHEMI7446.00
Red_sir134.50
ando2003.50
Hypori142.00
Grace51.00
SebG87265.00
c1pher4676.00
M2siast5937.00
jpf3409.00
Bumpinjeep5572.50
MMMGuy60436.00
LCDRJohn607.50
M2-Bob242.00
cmgbk752633.00
bean_140.00
uk0168573.50
GHO$T20.00
02M3ForMe4266.00
99Turbo84.00
Sebis188.00
IndyMike413.50
Ravenseal2859.00
m20e30871162.50
AndyinHou479.00
ronin130131000.50
playswcars3654.50
xraymd308.50
aerobod3700.00
      06-11-2023, 05:07 AM   #2
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Nice write up!
DSTR1269.50
      06-11-2023, 06:20 AM   #3
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

There is no sense of speed; if you don't look at the speedometer you would say you are always 50 km/h slower than you are.

this is absolutely terrible for a street car
Appreciate 1
10"4981.00
      06-11-2023, 06:21 AM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Sounds more and more like a more reliable Aston Martin without Volvo parts. That’s a huge compliment.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 06:22 AM   #5
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
There is no sense of speed; if you don't look at the speedometer you would say you are always 50 km/h slower than you are.

Then so is my 911 and Macan. If I don’t pay attention, I am always speeding because they handle the speed so well it’s like you are driving so much slower.
Appreciate 4
M2siast5937.00
02M3ForMe4266.00
Ravenseal2859.00
Sebis188.00
      06-11-2023, 06:43 AM   #6
SebG87
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 | Lotus Elise 240 FE

Thank you for the insights and the effort! Sounds overall great 😎 On Wednesday I’ll be able to tell as well! 😁 I am curious to comprare it to my Giulia QV, that I owned 2 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 07:08 AM   #7
Tuxon_Speed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 COMP XDRIVE

Garage List
Quote:

It’s 100% true 😂😂
Appreciate 1
M2siast5937.00
      06-11-2023, 07:30 AM   #8
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Very good write up. Did you drive the 8speed or 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 08:20 AM   #9
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxon_Speed View Post
It’s 100% true 😂😂
I gotta disagree here. When I push the car on a twisty road, I am WELL aware that I am hauling ass. This is a car that leaves me with the shakes after a good back road blast.
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4266.00
      06-11-2023, 08:22 AM   #10
Tuxon_Speed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 COMP XDRIVE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdem View Post
I gotta disagree here. When I push the car on a twisty road, I am WELL aware that I am hauling ass. This is a car that leaves me with the shakes after a good back road blast.
No I mean that if I’m just cruising on the freeway I’ll look down and be going 100 but feels like 70
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4266.00
      06-11-2023, 08:39 AM   #11
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

Quote:
No I mean that if I’m just cruising on the freeway I’ll look down and be going 100 but feels like 70
Ah, I see. It is a pretty nice car to eat up highway miles in.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4266.00
      06-11-2023, 10:28 AM   #12
MMMGuy60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23M2,Tesla M3,Triumph 765R

God dam, that TR looks incredible in the sun.
Appreciate 3
M2siast5937.00
cmgbk752633.00
02M3ForMe4266.00
      06-11-2023, 12:15 PM   #13
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The same if you drive a 992 or any other modern sports car.
This (below) is what I meant.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
Very good write up. Did you drive the 8speed or 6MT?
ZF8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebG87 View Post
Thank you for the insights and the effort! Sounds overall great 😎 On Wednesday I’ll be able to tell as well! 😁 I am curious to comprare it to my Giulia QV, that I owned 2 years ago.
Well, if your benchmark is the Giulia Q, you may be disappointed, because I find the Quadrifoglio to be the best handling car ever produced (excluding supercars, of course), including the G8x.
None can compete with that steering, that balanced and controlled chassis, that precise and communicative front end, and that feeling of lightness.
It was an amazing car to drive, shame about everything else. It was my second option when I bought the M2C, but I didn't have the courage. However, if I had, I would probably never have sold it.
Appreciate 1
eddj464.50
      06-11-2023, 12:25 PM   #14
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
For my use case, this is so much win. If I wanted to drive a NVH car, I could have gotten something a lot cheaper.

For the crowd that wants to "feel fast while driving slow", they can add cat-backs on their Civics.
Appreciate 3
mtoosexy730.00
M2siast5937.00
      06-11-2023, 03:02 PM   #15
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

That red looks like Rosso Scuderia (more orange version of Ferrari's classic Rosso Corsa). I love it. Great pics and impressions.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 05:32 PM   #16
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
The same if you drive a 992 or any other modern sports car.
This (below) is what I meant.

ZF8.

Well, if your benchmark is the Giulia Q, you may be disappointed, because I find the Quadrifoglio to be the best handling car ever produced (excluding supercars, of course), including the G8x.
None can compete with that steering, that balanced and controlled chassis, that precise and communicative front end, and that feeling of lightness.
It was an amazing car to drive, shame about everything else. It was my second option when I bought the M2C, but I didn't have the courage. However, if I had, I would probably never have sold it.
When the standard Giulia 4 cylinder was introduced, I happened to be looking for a sports sedan. I test drove a BMW 3 series, Audi A5, Jaguar XF and the Alfa Romeo Giulia. The Giulia had the best/quickest/tightest steering and handling of the bunch. And it was easily so.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 06:16 PM   #17
Skooba1231
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2

Quote:

This! Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 07:28 PM   #18
wj100
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Supra 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
I had a Giulia QV for 3+ years and it was the best driving car I've ever owned (> my E90 or F82). I was going to trade it for a G80 but didn't because it felt too bloated to me. So, I bought a Supra that I've had for just over a year while waiting for a G87 (which is now scheduled for production). I'm a little worried the G87 will feel bloated too compared to the Supra, but I guess time will tell...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 09:25 PM   #19
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj100 View Post
I had a Giulia QV for 3+ years and it was the best driving car I've ever owned (> my E90 or F82). I was going to trade it for a G80 but didn't because it felt too bloated to me. So, I bought a Supra that I've had for just over a year while waiting for a G87 (which is now scheduled for production). I'm a little worried the G87 will feel bloated too compared to the Supra, but I guess time will tell...
I wanted this car so bad...QV was calling my name back when they discussed bringing it to the states. Only one problem....AUTOMATIC I canceled my order the second i heard they were not bringing over the 6spd. Something about American crash test dummies getting their feet cut off in the tests..
      06-11-2023, 10:13 PM   #20
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
I wanted this car so bad...QV was calling my name back when they discussed bringing it to the states. Only one problem....AUTOMATIC I canceled my order the second i heard they were not bringing over the 6spd. Something about American crash test dummies getting their feet cut off in the tests..
Hahaha, is that true? I would risk getting my feet cut off to own that car in a manual. I grew up honing my Manual skills on a Spider and Milano. Damn those cars could handle, plus got me more than a few dates.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5937.00
      06-11-2023, 10:16 PM   #21
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
Only reason I never considered the Giulia as well. Had it come in manual…
Appreciate 1
cmgbk752633.00
      06-12-2023, 12:31 AM   #22
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj100 View Post
I don't know what the Supra is like, because I've never driven it, but expect the G87 to be very similar to the G80.
Appreciate 0