Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycr View Post
That is correct. I do a high pressure rinse, then use the spray soap function then rinse again. I pull it out from the bay and hand dry it in the sun.

Sometimes I will use a Chemical Guys product for extra shine and smoothness but it’s all done by hand.
My man, you’re scratching your car.
If you don’t wash it (physically touch it to clean the paint), introducing a towel to dry it will spread the dirt around and scratch the car.

Make sure you wash it before touching it to dry it.
Appreciate 2
tommycr127.50
Tag18349.00
      12-19-2023, 11:07 AM   #68
tommycr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
My man, you’re scratching your car.
If you don’t wash it (physically touch it to clean the paint), introducing a towel to dry it will spread the dirt around and scratch the car.

Make sure you wash it before touching it to dry it.
You would be correct 😂

That makes complete sense. I’m in NJ and it’s been cold so I haven’t really been able to use a bucket and clean it that way.

There is a hand wash place 5 mins from me that I guess I should try but who knows if they dropped the rag on the ground or the water is dirty. I also have a drive thru car wash that is in a very rich area and I always see $100k+ cars going thru it. They do a great job outside and inside so I’ve been thinking of just biting the bullet and going there like I used to.

It’s not a Ferrari but she’s my baby! It’s like when you get a new cell phone, after the first time you drop it you start worrying less about it getting scratched.
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2023, 11:17 AM   #69
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BWM G87

Anyone else have the Griot’s garage Foaming Cannon or their three and one ceramic wash? I just reloaded on a ton of their products and the microfiber wash kit on the pole is excellent after hitting it with the foan cannon. I’ve seen water beading up in my driveway after rinsing it off So it definitely has some surfactants in it/SIO2
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 11:21 AM   #70
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
You would be correct 😂

That makes complete sense. I’m in NJ and it’s been cold so I haven’t really been able to use a bucket and clean it that way.

There is a hand wash place 5 mins from me that I guess I should try but who knows if they dropped the rag on the ground or the water is dirty. I also have a drive thru car wash that is in a very rich area and I always see $100k+ cars going thru it. They do a great job outside and inside so I’ve been thinking of just biting the bullet and going there like I used to.

It’s not a Ferrari but she’s my baby! It’s like when you get a new cell phone, after the first time you drop it you start worrying less about it getting scratched.
I feel your pain!
FWIW here’s what I do: (I don’t trust tunnel washes because they use brushes, and I don’t like touchless washes because they don’t clean the car and the harsh chemicals do more damage than good)

I fill a bucket with hot water in my tub or at the pet wash room (I live in a condo). I throw my wash mitt with some car shampoo in the bucket with hot water.

Throw that in the trunk. Go late in the day to a self-serve wash when and where the likelihood of a line forming behind me is very low.

Then I rinse the car really well.
After that, I wash it with the mitt (bonus if you can take two buckets).

If there’s a possibility of someone waiting for you (you don’t want to be the asshole bucket washing when there’s a line), take a friend. While you wash one body panel, they come after you rinsing it. That way the timer is always running. You could leave the timer running anyway while you take your time, but YMMV on that.

Bonus if you can find an electric foam cannon to take and bathe it before touching your car. I’m about to get one myself. A friend has it and it works somewhat well (it’s not like the ones you see on YouTube where the car gets super white and foamy, but it works).

Then you’re safe to dry your car. I still recommend a lubricant to dry it (like one of those turtle wax drying sprays or a ceramic spray).

The hot water in the bucket makes it bearable to wash it when it’s cold, your hand will be warm. And it’ll clean better too.

In the summer take it to a detailer for a quick compound to get rid of the swirls and preserve it swirl-free by continuing to physically wash it when you touch it.

What I also do if I just want to take some dirt out quickly is to do what you do and just spray the car. But don’t dry it!
Appreciate 3
Tag18349.00
Ransom81.00
      12-19-2023, 11:23 AM   #71
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
You would be correct 😂

I bet you've got a bunch of swirls and micro scratches. Not the end of the world, but you should consider having paint correction done come Spring and then just maintain your paint from there on.

Never use a drive thru car wash unless it's touchless, but even then, beware. Some touchless car washes have rails to guide the car into the bay which could scratch your wheels. Touchless washes are good for knocking off some surface debris but you're not going to really get the paint clean unless there's some type of agitation such as using a wash mitt. Sounds like you don't have the means to a rinseless wash so your options are limited. I'd say just take it to a hand car wash in that case.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5937.00
tommycr127.50
      12-19-2023, 11:24 AM   #72
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

For those that "can't bucket wash" in the winter.

I fill a bucket in my utility sink with warm water and use a product such as:

Optum No Rinse
P&S Absolute
With a sponge designed for the application such as the ABSOLUTE sponge.

You can do it in the garage our outside

Not for heavily soiled, I will pressure wash to get any significant dirt off first then take home and hand wash as above.

A lot of rules to the techniques but much, much safer for your paint.
M2siast5937.00
tommycr127.50
      12-19-2023, 11:28 AM   #73
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
I feel your pain!
FWIW here’s what I do: (I don’t trust tunnel washes because they use brushes, and I don’t like touchless washes because they don’t clean the car and the harsh chemicals do more damage than good)

I fill a bucket with hot water in my tub or at the pet wash room (I live in a condo). I throw my wash mitt with some car shampoo in the bucket with hot water.

Throw that in the trunk. Go late in the day to a self-serve wash when and where the likelihood of a line forming behind me is very low.

If there’s a possibility of someone waiting for you (you don’t want to be the asshole bucket washing when there’s a line), take a friend. While you wash one body panel, they come after you rinsing it. That way the timer is always running. You could leave the timer running anyway while you take your time, but YMMV on that.

Bonus if you can find an electric foam cannon to take and bathe it before touching your car. I’m about to get one myself. A friend has it and it works somewhat well (it’s not like the ones you see on YouTube where the car gets super white and foamy, but it works).

Then you’re safe to dry your car. I still recommend a lubricant to dry it (like one of those turtle wax drying sprays or a ceramic spray).

The hot water in the bucket makes it bearable to wash it when it’s cold, your hand will be warm. And it’ll clean better too.

In the summer take it to a detailer for a quick compound to get rid of the swirls and preserve it swirl-free by continuing to physically wash it when you touch it.

What I also do if I just want to take some dirt out quickly is to do what you do and just spray the car. But don’t dry it!
Love how creative everyone gets taking care of their cars.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5937.00
      12-19-2023, 02:16 PM   #74
Ointment0440
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru Legacy, G87 M2

Quote:
I feel your pain!

This is great, currently in an apartment myself. Gotta find myself 1-2 buckets with a lid. Any specific products you recommend for the shampoo/mitt/cannon?
Appreciate 1
M2siast5937.00
      12-19-2023, 02:23 PM   #75
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ointment0440 View Post
This is great, currently in an apartment myself. Gotta find myself 1-2 buckets with a lid. Any specific products you recommend for the shampoo/mitt/cannon?
I used to go nuts with this stuff and spend a lot on products.

Now I use an orange Home Depot bucket with a lid, that comes with a grit guard at the bottom.

I saw a better bucket with a screw-on lid in a YouTube video (maybe Obsessed Garage or something) and with a grit-guard that holds the debris even with agitation. I'd recommend getting one of those if you can. Never bad to be safer when it comes to this stuff.

In terms of products, I just use a microfibre glove And the shampoo I use is the wax-free BMW bottle from the parts counter. I use a ceramic reload spray when drying (I ceramic coated my car).

I've simplified a lot of my life not obsessing about these, and not spending thousands on them YMMV!

A good wheel brush might be something you want as well, since it's so hard to get through the crevices.

And a big pack of Costco microfibre towels to dry. Always moisten the towels before drying the car (so I dry the glass first, to get the towels wet, THEN I proceed to touching the paint with them). (Although I used one of those drying towels that look like beach towels, and they were great!)
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 03:54 PM   #76
Ointment0440
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru Legacy, G87 M2

Quote:
I used to go nuts with this stuff and spend a lot on products.

Now I use an orange Home Depot bucket with a lid, that comes with a grit guard at the bottom.

I saw a better bucket with a screw-on lid in a YouTube video (maybe Obsessed Garage or something) and with a grit-guard that holds the debris even with agitation. I'd recommend getting one of those if you can. Never bad to be safer when it comes to this stuff.

In terms of products, I just use a microfibre glove And the shampoo I use is the wax-free BMW bottle from the parts counter. I use a ceramic reload spray when drying (I ceramic coated my car).

I've simplified a lot of my life not obsessing about these, and not spending thousands on them YMMV!

A good wheel brush might be something you want as well, since it's so hard to get through the crevices.

And a big pack of Costco microfibre towels to dry. Always moisten the towels before drying the car (so I dry the glass first, to get the towels wet, THEN I proceed to touching the paint with them). (Although I used one of those drying towels that look like beach towels, and they were great!)
Thanks that's really helpful. We're probably getting ours next month and I've been worrying about this stuff way too much. I got a quote for PPF at a local shop and they asked for $10k for full ppf. How much does a ceramic coat typically run, or did you DIY?
Appreciate 1
M2siast5937.00
      12-19-2023, 03:57 PM   #77
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Thanks that's really helpful. We're probably getting ours next month and I've been worrying about this stuff way too much. I got a quote for PPF at a local shop and they asked for $10k for full ppf. How much does a ceramic coat typically run, or did you DIY?
DIY. Cost me less than $100 in product.
It’s labour intensive if you do it right and do it twice over. But it can be done in one lazy afternoon at home. It’s like waxing… no big deal.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 04:03 PM   #78
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BWM G87

Quote:
I got 3M ceramic tint a ceramic coat plus stage 1 paint correction (less the wheels) for around 2k at a Performance shop. I think they spend 8 hours cleaning and preparing the car. They did a great job and it really helps keep the BSM much cleaner than if I hadn’t had the coating. My buddy did his M4 the other week for 6k full car and they’re having to redo a few panels at zero cost to him.

Shop around and reputation is very important.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 06:48 AM   #79
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

I stepped up my game for the new M car. As I was researching PPF and ceramic coatings on Youtube I found a wealth of information on car detailing that I didn't know before.

A couple of the best resources I found on Youtube:

Obsessed Garage: https://www.youtube.com/@ObsessedGarage
Pan The Organizer: https://www.youtube.com/@PanTheOrganizer
I'm Josh V: https://www.youtube.com/@imjoshv

I picked up the Roybi 1800 psi pressure washer on Black Friday Sale for under $100: https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396039613

Josh did a shootout of pressure washer guns and recommended this one as the best budget option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0861V45B9...t_details&th=1

I believe it was also Josh that did a shootout of foam cannons and recommended this one as the best budget option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W8BFRRW...roduct_details

I haven't yet picked up the hose Josh recommends, but it's on my short list: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018H74H74...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Josh also did a shootout of foam cannon soaps and found a budget friendly option that you can buy at Walmart too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C62J4CSY...t_details&th=1

I believe I got the recommendation from Josh for these quick disconnects to make life easier: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally, I conceded that a leaf blower setup was just too pricey for me with most battery and charger packages running at least $300. So, I just picked up the Adams Mini Air Canon. I can use this on my motorcycle too. So, dual purpose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then a Black Friday Sale caught my attention on a highly recommended EGo Leaf Blower at Ace Hardware. Normally, $220 on sale for $169. So, I bit the bullet and picked one up: https://www.acehardware.com/departme...lowers/7014318

Also, picked up a Stubby Nozzle for it: https://www.acehardware.com/departme...lowers/7014318

One of the Youtube guys turned me on to this wash mitt for doing wheels. Really helps with the stock wheels. They are not easy to clean: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I compromised on my wheel brush with the Woollywormit Wheel Cleaning Brush which was a little cheaper and had a lug nut cleaning function that I liked. It's ok. It works without scratching the wheel barrels: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It WILL NOT fit behind the brake rotors on the G87, however. Josh recommends the Barrel Blade because it can fit behind most rotors. A bit pricey. It was on sale later for Black Friday for nearly the same price, but I already used my Woollywormit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHXCF44B...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Picked up a few of these wash mitts during Black Friday sales. The Rag Company Cyclone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also picked up several Rag Company Dryer Wolf towels during the sale along with a few other sale items, suede screen cleaners, small microfiber towels: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Snagged some Black Friday sale pricing on Adams Polishes; wheel cleaner, interior detailer, tire shine, etc. I've been using some Meguiar's quick detailer to lube while drying for now.

I still need to perfect my personal methodology in use of the combination of these products. Without ceramic coating I don't think the leaf blower can effectively blow dry the car without leaving some water spots. Maybe I need to perfect my use of it. I end up needing to use quick detailer to finish it off. Bascially, rubbing it somewhat dry with only quick detailer which is a little pricey for maintenance washing.

I'm also on the hunt for a good sealant to use on PPF. CarPro Reload 2.0 is on my short list currently.

It's been a journey. The proverbial rabbit hole.

Last edited by Fastfwd; 12-21-2023 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 2