E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Birds suspension set up?

05-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Birds suspension set up?

Anyone running the b3 suspension set up?

Also the anti roll bar kit?

If so how do you find it over standard set up? How much of a drop is it
Over the standard set up?

And lastly how does it compare to other coilovers on the market?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

My view...

Yes i am.

Yes I am.

Drop isn't much at all. Maybe 10mm. Both ARB's and Suspension are very good. A huge improvement over stock.

If you're going for ARB's, you should seriously consider getting a limited slip diff at the same time to save labour. That said, it's worthwhile having the ARB's alone if you have no plans to fit an LSD.

The suspension is a bit marmite and some don't love it. I do, the roll is less pronounced and the damping good, but you will feel a bit of 'pitch' from the rear due to the rear damping rate Birds use. I'm completely used to it now.

How does it compare to Coilovers? Well as a fixed suspension kit it doesn't really. It has better damping out of the box than most adjustable kits will, and the spring rate is reasonably optimal for the UK. Chances are it is 'better' for most people than the average kit, particularly if your focus is on driving rather than cosmetics.

There are some Coilover kits which, if setup properly, will almost certainly be better. Namely KW V3 and Ohlins. You will certainly pay a premium for this kits though.

If you ask him nicely, Kevin Bird MAY honor a group buy price for the suspension of around £960 which Omaragha arranged for this forum. The GB expired some time ago, but it's possible he would give you a discount if you ask nicely

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
joeyt
Banned
Rep

I had it on my last 335i. Although very good. They are smoking crack with the price. My new 335i has kw v2 coil overs and it as good and half the cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Flame suit on!

I went from birds b3 to BC coilovers purely for increased drop. I was pleasantly surprised when in my opinion the BCs are that much better for handling! Granted they are a bit stiffer but i have the option to soften them to probably ride as soft as the birds.

Drop wise they are as stated earlier ...about 10mm more than msport. I reckon the front drop may be a little more...about 15mm

I didt change the birds ARB so have nothing to compare it to. Its doing a fine job atm so no issues.

If i had to do it again id defo go BCs. Each to their own tho but i feel the birds is overrated. Defo better than msport but not in the region of what they are asking money wise!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Padlock
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I have the Birds B3 complete conversion. It was already installed when I got the car. I'm just interested in reading what people think. It's mainly the price that he's compared.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Running Birds suspension is by far the best mod I have done and as you can see from my sig I've done a few !!

Not sure re the crack pipe comment but can certainly say that Birds are one of the most respected E9x tuners out there - also been doing this stuff for years.

Of course it's not the only option - as mentioned Ohlins are a better option at twice the price (massive crack pipe there then) !!

For me , great ride quality, infinitely better than standard msport and handles the c420HP I'm running with ease.

Finally in terms of drop - the arch sits nicely on the top of my tyre = no gap.

However this is not a cheap kit to make you look cool and very low at shows whilst randoms are checking out your badass whip and listening to bassinyourface init blud ;-)

This is a kit for drivers and is aimed at handling the shocking roads we have in the UK.

Great mod - can still get discounted rates if interested !
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #7
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

This has been discussed many times before....

If you want the best go for ohlins road and track.

Birds stuff is perfectly set up for UK roads, but more expensive than normal Bilstein stuff. However at less than £1k it's almost a no brainer, you can easily spend that much on just speakers/ICE without trying.

I've spent £7k+ on various mods for the car in the last 3 years. For me the Birds kit is by far the best value for money mod, followed closely by the Quaife LSD.

If I had the chance to spend my money again these two items are probably the only mods I would pay for again.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #8
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep

That's good to hear, I currently find the car too floaty mid corner and never seems to settle.

Have also just been reading up on the koni yellows with h r springs and they also seem cheap.

Then there's the eibach pro kit that's just popped up In classified section.

Too much choice :/
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawton438
That's good to hear, I currently find the car too floaty mid corner and never seems to settle.

Have also just been reading up on the koni yellows with h r springs and they also seem cheap.

Then there's the eibach pro kit that's just popped up In classified section.

Too much choice :/
Do you want cheap or good ? Big difference in approach mate.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep

A happy medium in between,

I would say my budget is around 1k.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
whateva411
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 430d MSport EB

I have the Birds suspension on my current e92. My previous one had normal MSport. The difference is night and day!

MSport+, adaptive suspension, reversing cam, sunroof, park assist, rear collision alert, pro nav, heated seats, speed limit display, lane assist, comfort access, adaptive headlights.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A happy medium in between,

I would say my budget is around 1k.
That gets you the birds kit. Like I said if it's about driving then go birds (IMO) if you are after severe drop / adjustable height then go for something cheaper, as cars very low drive like crap anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep

Haha you seem very bias.

I want a kit that is more aimed towards performance rather than comfort.

I've also got rid of my run flat tyres which I'm unsure whether makes any difference when considering a kit.

Looks like the birds set up will be the way I'm going,
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Does your £1k budget include fitting and setting up? Any track use or just a daily driver?

If you're not too bothered about comfort, you can consider Bilstein B14 PSS coilovers. Fixed damping rate (apparantly halfway of the PSS9/10 kits) and adjustable height. Can't comment on the comfort side of things but a few ppl who have them have said its ok. You'd obviously need to get it set up properly. Price is around £700 shipped from Germany. I'd guess there would be less pitch/roll than the Birds option with these.

Koni yellows and H&R springs are cheap but they do not drive like crap, just ask all the members who have them. There are quite a few across the pond. Cost around £600 total. I know someone who has the Ohlins, and still says the Konis drive like a limo, with Eibach springs though.

Whenever i do my suspension it will be between Bilstein B14 PSS or Koni Yellows and H&R/Eibach. I just wish someone had the B14 so i can see how comfy or hard they are.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'll have a look into them then aswell thanks. And no as I'll fit them myself and then find somewhere decent to had it set up and aligned properly
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #16
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Does your 1k budget include fitting and setting up? Any track use or just a daily driver?

If you're not too bothered about comfort, you can consider Bilstein B14 PSS coilovers. Fixed damping rate (apparantly halfway of the PSS9/10 kits) and adjustable height. Can't comment on the comfort side of things but a few ppl who have them have said its ok. You'd obviously need to get it set up properly. Price is around 700 shipped from Germany. I'd guess there would be less pitch/roll than the Birds option with these.

Koni yellows and H&R springs are cheap but they do not drive like crap, just ask all the members who have them. There are quite a few across the pond. Cost around 600 total. I know someone who has the Ohlins, and still says the Konis drive like a limo, with Eibach springs though.

Whenever i do my suspension it will be between Bilstein B14 PSS or Koni Yellows and H&R/Eibach. I just wish someone had the B14 so i can see how comfy or hard they are.
Are you ever going to do your suspension mate ?? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #17
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Haha you seem very bias.

I want a kit that is more aimed towards performance rather than comfort.

I've also got rid of my run flat tyres which I'm unsure whether makes any difference when considering a kit.

Looks like the birds set up will be the way I'm going,
Yep I'm bias :-D
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #18
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Lol omar when i decide which will probably be ages.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #19
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

I'll be buying the b14kit in 3 weeks time, i'll report back, only thing which worries me is that the spring rate would be too high and be too stiff.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
I'll be buying the b14kit in 3 weeks time, i'll report back, only thing which worries me is that the spring rate would be too high and be too stiff.
Would be very interested to hear your thoughts! Its definitely a quality piece of kit, and perhaps it might be good for comfort too. Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0